Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have we come to

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

B0jangles wrote: »
    How is that a protest vote?

FG had ample time to make good on their promises, and they've failed to do so in a great many ways. Where is the sense in believing that this time around they'll totally do better?

Sinn Fein have made various pledges and promises; maybe it's time to see if they are any better at keeping to them than FG/FF are.

FG put the country in a pretty good position economically regardless of what you think of them. Just because they didn’t solve an issue that affects 0.2% of the population (for which the figures aren’t even worth the paper they are written on without transparency) doesn’t tarnish everything they did manage to do in their time in office.

This thread is going very quotable in about 6 months time when people see the level of government they’ve voted for here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

How is this going to play out internationally. Remember all their hard line stances with the EU, their stance on Venzuela and their support for the illegal elections in Catalonia? How is that going to sit with another democratically elected country in the EU i.e. Spain when we have a government that supports Basque and Catalonian separatists who have broken every democratic rule in the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,531 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Some bad though,

Aodhán Ó Ríordáin re elected.

What a disappointment.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Blaze420 wrote: »
    FG put the country in a pretty good position economically regardless of what you think of them. Just because they didn’t solve an issue that affects 0.2% of the population (for which the figures aren’t even worth the paper they are written on without transparency) doesn’t tarnish everything they did manage to do in their time in office.

This thread is going very quotable in about 6 months time when people see the level of government they’ve voted for here.

Odd that an issue that only affected 0.2% of the population resonated so very strongly with such a very large proportion of the electorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

And you are arrogantly proclaiming that only FG have the smarts to negotiate for us.

FG thinks of itself and sells itself as the party of competency. It's the story it tells itself, and it's deeply threatening to their collective psyche to think it's not true. A lot of their supporters share the same trait I think. Everything they have is down to their own brilliance, and evreyone else just takes. I built everything myself.

They're a party that likes to give themselves too much credit, always the smartest in the room - and frequency underestimate others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Lofidelity

The challenge for SF now is that the public are impatient and expectations are sky high.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

People voting for something just to give 2 fingers to the status quo without fully understanding what they are voting for = protest vote.

That's so patronising, presumptious and insulting. It beggars belief, really.

Odd that an issue that only affected 0.2% of the population resonated so very strongly with such a very large proportion of the electorate.

I won’t even bite for this, you know as well as I do who that resonated with.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    That's so patronising, presumptious and insulting. It beggars belief, really.

Oh well tell us so what part of SF manifesto sold them to you? Go on I’ll wait

• Registered Users Posts: 69,186 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Lofidelity wrote: »
    The challenge for SF now is that the public are impatient and expectations are sky high.

I'd contest the 'sky high' bit.

We have basically a draw.Compromises will have to be made to form a government. Expectations are tempered as a result of that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I won’t even bite for this, you know as well as I do who that resonated with.

And aaaaaalll the other votes - where did they come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bunderoon

They have taken credit for that alright. But they didn't. The ECB started lending again after we were saddled with the debts.
    The economy turned on a 2pence once the guarantee was done and dusted.
    Nothing to do with FG at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

How is this going to play out internationally. Remember all their hard line stances with the EU, their stance on Venzuela and their support for the illegal elections in Catalonia? How is that going to sit with another democratically elected country in the EU i.e. Spain when we have a government that supports Basque and Catalonian separatists who have broken every democratic rule in the book.

Indeed. It's only a few years since Pearse Doherty was flying off to Greece to support Syriza's kamikaze defiance of the troika. Now this same person could be Ireland's finance minister. Hardly confidence-inspiring, is it?

And how will this affect Ireland's relationships with the UK and the US? I can't see Mary Lou managing to be civil to Trump or Johnson. Things could also kick off again in the North, now that the biggest party in Ireland has become known for chanting "Ooh, ah, up the Ra" during elections.

Fun times ahead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I don't even vote but I am of Ulster Gaelic heritage. Regarding the IRA, were they really that different to any other Irish force in history? Aodh Mor O'Neill was the Gerry Adams of his time and GAA clubs are named after him, the clans of Ulster used to tie Norsemen to a tree with their own intestines, a brutal act in a brutal world. If you are a pacifist you need to reject all men of violence in history, you can't just pick and choose. This is what causes me confusion in my mind too, am I an evil man at rejoicing at the thought of my ancestors killing Norsemen and English troops in late medieval times? How can a Britishman act like he has the moral high ground when their colonial troops killed all over the world?

It is just one big clown world of hypocrisy really, i don't even know how to process this world in my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,052 ✭✭✭endainoz

Weren't you defending SF during the election on boards? That is some u-turn! :eek:

Bad job when people can't recognize sarcasm anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

We should absolutely support the Catalans and the Basques.

And aaaaaalll the other votes - where did they come from?

Unexplainable, you’d think the electorate here would have some level of intelligence but clearly not this time. As I previously mentioned, a lot of people simply SF to give 2 fingers to the likes of FF/FG, not caring less about what SF was promising or what it would mean for them. A LOT of those people will be back here in 6 months time when the same 2 fingers are stuck in their assholes and paychecks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Well the 'Change' is already happening. I suppose headlines like "Irish Shares take a hammering" and 'Stock market falls after Sinn Fein's Election win' won't worry those who wanted 'Change'.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,501 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

riclad wrote: »
    I think part of the reason the vote for sf increased is a lot of young voters,
    under 30, do not remember the time when the troubles were going on,
    there were bombs going off ,etc in the 80,s.before the peace process happened .
    Sinn fein is now being treated like another political party which has policys which are aimed at working class voters.fianna fail and fianna gael thought they could ignore sinn fein since they would get maybe 10 per cent of the votes.

Yep, the younger voters , disenfranchised with FF and FG are looking for alternatives, problem is, the alternative isn’t there. You make an excellent point about those under 30, not having the knowledge regarding SF, their ‘fan base’ and those in the shadows with no regard for lives, democracy and law and order...

FTA69 wrote: »

Shur then the Cork lads would start getting notions..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Unexplainable, you’d think the electorate here would have some level of intelligence but clearly not this time. As I previously mentioned, a lot of people simply SF to give 2 fingers to the likes of FF/FG, not caring less about what SF was promising or what it would mean for them. A LOT of those people will be back here in 6 months time when the same 2 fingers are stuck in their assholes and paychecks.

Or you could look at the quality of the candidate that got dumped out. Plenty of them deserved to loose their seats.

This election can serve as a warning that if you don’t get your work done it doesn’t matter who you are the electorate Will turf you out.

Show me a hard working TD that got results and didn’t get re-elected?

JamesM wrote: »
    Well the 'Change' is already happening. I suppose headlines like "Irish Shares take a hammering" and 'Stock market falls after Sinn Fein's Election win' won't worry those who wanted 'Change'.

Of course not because it’s not their money and it’s hard to care about something when you don’t know what the words mean...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Oh well tell us so what part of SF manifesto sold them to you? Go on I’ll wait

My pleasure. It was their policy on Cervical Check.
    They want to stop sample testing being outsourced to the US and have them tested here. This will eliminate the possibility of samples going out of date, samples being tested by the incorrect standards, and give a more accurate, conclusive results to patients.

Other areas of their manifesto appealed to me too, but this sealed the deal. Is that answer good enough for you, seeing as you feel you have some superiour authority on the matter?

Or you could look at the quality of the candidate that got dumped out. Plenty of them deserved to loose their seats.

This election can serve as a warning that if you don’t get your work done it doesn’t matter who you are the electorate Will turf you out.

Show me a hard working TD that got results and didn’t get re-elected?

We will see, should be fun to play a game with how many of their promises they have turn around and say “ah actually we can’t do that lads”.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭buried

JamesM wrote: »

Well, just get rid of elections altogether then, if all the democratic people are supposed to do is to adhere to the demands of a bunch of coked up gamblers roaring and shouting at each other on stock room floors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

FTA69 wrote: »

On what basis? Do you support illegal elections and bombings which kill innocent people. Please explain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Give over. For the first time we are freed from default government. FF getting in when FG mess up and vice versa. We should be celebrating not insulting people because our team lost the cup.
    Quite rightly, that seems very sensible. Why support a party or government if you are unhappy with them? That's what had us stuck with FF/FG. We are maturing IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

As a non sinn fein voter, what are the key points from their manifesto ?

Tax the wealthy - what is cutoff point ?
    I see they will make it harder for banks to repossess non paying mortgages - higher mortgage rates for people that do pay ?

Any other key takeaways ?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,186 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Indeed. It's only a few years since Pearse Doherty was flying off to Greece to support Syriza's kamikaze defiance of the troika. Now this same person could be Ireland's finance minister. Hardly confidence-inspiring, is it?

You have confidence in Michael Martin running the whole show??? After what he sat through.

• Advertisement

Give over. For the first time we are freed from default government. FF getting in when FG mess up and vice versa. We should be celebrating not insulting people because our team lost the cup.
    Quite rightly, that seems very sensible. Why support a party or government if you are unhappy with them? That's what had us stuck with FF/FG. We are maturing IMO.

Sorry but a party that classes someone earning 40k as a “high earner” can **** right off..

Advertisement