Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have we come to

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Blaze420 wrote: »
    We will see, should be fun to play a game with how many of their promises they have turn around and say “ah actually we can’t do that lads”.

Then they'll be no worse than every single FF/FG government. At least any they do get going will serve the tax payer not private companies.

FG actually helped a private businessman purchase a company at a loss to the tax payer so they could award him a contract for their quango. How do you support those people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Lets call a spade a spade. People feel entitled to free stuff and want other people to pay for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

We are maturing IMO.

"Ooh, ah, up the Ra!"

How very mature of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

We will see, should be fun to play a game with how many of their promises they have turn around and say “ah actually we can’t do that lads”.

The same as all the other parties so.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/remote/media.central.ie/media/images/z/zzzendaxillend_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie-374228

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Unexplainable, you’d think the electorate here would have some level of intelligence but clearly not this time. As I previously mentioned, a lot of people simply SF to give 2 fingers to the likes of FF/FG, not caring less about what SF was promising or what it would mean for them. A LOT of those people will be back here in 6 months time when the same 2 fingers are stuck in their assholes and paychecks.

Of course it's not unexplainable, you just don't like the explanation. The electorate as a whole is under increasing pressure, and has realised that endlessly cycling between FF and FG is not going to do anything to relieve that pressure. Voting FG back in would be a vote for the more of the same.

It seems their policies are favorable to a few posters here on boards, but for a very significant proportion of the electorate, they obviously aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Give over. For the first time we are freed from default government. FF getting in when FG mess up and vice versa. We should be celebrating not insulting people because our team lost the cup.
    Quite rightly, that seems very sensible. Why support a party or government if you are unhappy with them? That's what had us stuck with FF/FG. We are maturing IMO.

I think the opposite the naive working class younger vote, has been massive in this election. If anything the electorate is becoming more innocent. Plus the irony for SF to get in power they will have to pick one of FF or FG at least.
    SF will then have to be part of the 'establishment' whether they like it or not.

Or else the alternative is sit on the the other side of the fence and say all the things they would do if...etc

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

carq wrote: »
    As a non sinn fein voter, what are the key points from their manifesto ?

Tax the wealthy - what is cutoff point ?
    I see they will make it harder for banks to repossess non paying mortgages - higher mortgage rates for people that do pay ?

Any other key takeaways ?

Removing the LPT.
    Increasing entry to USC to 30k

• Registered Users Posts: 69,185 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

"Ooh, ah, up the Ra!"

How very mature of us.

Lets play drunkenly on swings and sue businesses for the lols when we fall on our arses. :)

"Ooh, ah, up the Ra!"

How very mature of us.

I think you just made a fool of yourself.

• Advertisement

Lets call a spade a spade. People feel entitled to free stuff and want other people to pay for it.

Then they should have kept FG in.

Lets play drunkenly on swings and sue businesses for the lols when we fall on our arses. :)

Yeah..or we could get a protection racket going..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,501 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Completely, you've a house, a nice car ? Ok, I want the same, I feel I should be entitled to it, I cannot afford it, therefore the sacrifices you made, working hard, studying, saving etc. will pay for me.

I think the opposite the naive working class younger vote, has been massive in this election. If anything the electorate is becoming more innocent. Plus the irony for SF to get in power they will have to pick one of FF or FG at least.
    SF will then have to be part of the 'establishment' whether they like it or not.

Or else the alternative is sit on the the other side of the fence and say all the things they would do if...etc

FYI: SF are part of the establishment. Only more so. Being a sitting TD is pretty much being part of the establishment. In fact they are more part of the establishment than FG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Then they should have kept FG in.

Free gaffs for everyone

..or hold a state memorial for forces that butchered us and try to stop us being what we are today...independent.

*We can keep this up for as long as you want.

I doubt Denis O'Brien will 'win' any more contracts.

Then they'll be no worse than every single FF/FG government. At least any they do get going will serve the tax payer not private companies.

FG actually helped a private businessman purchase a company at a loss to the tax payer so they could award him a contract for their quango. How do you support those people?

Bad and all as this is you seem to definitely, to view the likes of this as a worse offence than protecting murderers etc?
    Each to thier own I suppose, but I think it is a crazy mindset. SF have an excuse now not be an open and honest democratic party. Because they can play to the same demographic, who do not see the wood from the trees.

..or hold a state memorial for forces that butchered us and try to stop us being what we are today...independent.

*We can keep this up for as long as you want.

Or we could rob a bank..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,052 ✭✭✭endainoz

FTA69 wrote: »
    We should absolutely support the Catalans and the Basques.

And I'd include Palestine in that too.

• Advertisement

FYI: SF are part of the establishment. Only more so. Being a sitting TD is pretty much being part of the establishment. In fact they are more part of the establishment than FG.
    As they are as MLA's in NI - but Mary Lou dodged thier record in NI by saying they were hamstrung by the Brits.
    No doubt if she does get into government she will use the same trick blaming FF/FG or an other after leaving any coalition.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I'm not going down the rabbit hole of dissecting and picking apart the SF manifesto unless you are going to hold other parties to the same standard and acknowledge that there are discrepencies in theirs too.

That doesn't make it a protest vote, and you endlessly repeating it over and over won't make it so. There were other options to vote for besides FF/FG, yet people chose to vote for SF. If it were a protest against the status quo the Greens and Labour would have seen similar surges in popularity, but they didn't.
    Don't be so patronising as to assume you know why I voted the way I did better than I do. You are putting words in my mouth. Acknowledging people wanted a change does not = protest.

I give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

When big US corporations enter Ireland do they build motorways, roads, bridges, airports, shipping ports to access their buildings? Do they build universities to educate the Irish workforce?

Of course not. They expect those things to be in place before setting up and those to be paid for by someone else.

Corporations also expect big grants to start here, tax breaks as well as lowest corporate tax rates in the developed world.

Or we could rob a bank..

...or set up a state body to eh...look after Water for instance. And get the taxpayer to pay for the **** up we make of it?

Or a hospital maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Bad and all as this is you seem to definitely, to view the likes of this as a worse offence than protecting murderers etc?
    Each to thier own I suppose, but I think it is a crazy mindset. SF have an excuse now not be an open and honest democratic party. Because they can play to the same demographic, who do not see the wood from the trees.

A mindset of scum if that is the case.

Maybe the electorate have more pressing current concerns?
    We owe SF and others of course a great deal of thanks for the GFA. Thankfully dissidents like yourself are few and far between. Let it go and move on with your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

B0jangles wrote: »
    How is that a protest vote?

FG had ample time to make good on their promises, and they've failed to do so in a great many ways. Where is the sense in believing that this time around they'll totally do better?

Sinn Fein have made various pledges and promises; maybe it's time to see if they are any better at keeping to them than FG/FF are.

You've just described a protest vote. You are focused on problems with the incumbent, not with the solutions the others are offering. Or indeed the incumbent is offering.

As they are as MLA's in NI - but Mary Lou dodged thier record in NI by saying they were hamstrung by the Brits.
    No doubt if she does get into government she will use the same trick blaming FF/FG or an other after leaving any coalition.

Like FG are STILL blaming FF for leaving a mess?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

SusieBlue wrote: »
    That's so patronising, presumptious and insulting. It beggars belief, really.

If it wasn't a protest vote then where was the SF support in the local and european elections? If it was a true groundswell of support, how did SF not feel it in advance and run more candidates? If SF thought they'd be in contention for all the seats they have won, why was one of their candidates on holiday in the run up to the election?

It is too early to say it was definitely a protest vote but there are signs that point to it looking that way and it is just a presumptuous to claim that it wasn't a protest vote.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

rossie1977 wrote: »
    When big US corporations enter Ireland do they build motorways, roads, bridges, airports, shipping ports to access their buildings? Do they build universities to educate the Irish workforce?

Of course not. They expect those things to be in place before setting up and those to be paid for by someone else.

:confused:

In 2016, multinationals spent €17.9 billion in Ireland's economy on payroll, as well as on Irish-sourced goods and services.

Much of that is then taxed to provide the above-mentioned services.

Multinationals contribute enormously to the economy. Plus, they provide many high-paying jobs for the people who graduate from our universities.

Advertisement