Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have we come to

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,679 ✭✭✭storker

That us all grand and all but SF have a history of not answering questions as well. I would be more inclined to ask this new SF TD why he felt the need to shout up the 'ra. And what his views are on the rule of law in this country and in NI.

Whataboutery noted, but actually I would ask that too...I think SF have a bit of growing up and opening up to do in government, but the suggestion that that kind of thing is what people voted for (apart from some who always vote SF anyway) is laughable. Voting for any political party is often an exercise in filling in a ballot paper while holding your nose (unless you're one of the faithful). Anyone who thinks that everyone who voted SF did so enthusiastically or without reservation is kidding themselves. It would be more apposite to ask what the mainstream parties did to make SF look worth a punt to so many people, but of course, it's much easier to hurl insults than engage in a bit of analysis or introspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Zetor19 wrote: »
    That Wexford scumbag should be sacked before he gets a chance to get into the dail .

Your wrong again .it was the td from Waterford singing the rebels songs, not the new dude from Wexford...

Your miles wide zetor fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Largely eurosceptic too, but they kept that quiet this time around.

They've become less frosty on the issue over the last few decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Odhinn wrote: »
    Absolute crap. SF are anti-racist, with historical links to parties in the middle east and Africa.
    https://youtu.be/ZkFAeruvv4s

its not really racism to hate everyone non irish , despise the EU internally ,
    Do you think a pub in cavan belting out 'come out ye black and tans' talking about a united ireland and calling people west brits is going to be a welcoming environment for say a nigerian...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,502 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

When exactly did SF ever see the IRA as 'terrorists'?

The IRA are gone btw.

When you murder innocent people going about their daily lives, your a terrorist, if SF don’t recognize who they support... we’ll they do, seeing as they have had terrorists in their party at all levels.

• Advertisement

I believe it Gerry that said "they haven't gone away you know"

That reminds me...nobody seems to have commented on the sudden rise in SF's fortunes following the departure of Adams. I suspect that's at least part of the story.

they became lest frosty because the UK went the other way, SF's entire belief system is just 'oppose whatever britain do' it explains nelson mandella, their new found love of the EU etc...

if corbyn was in in the uk and everyone wanted to remain they'd be standing hand in hand with justin barrett and kate bop at an irexit event.

davycc wrote: »
    Your wrong again .it was the td from Waterford singing the rebels songs, not the new dude from Wexford...

Your miles wide zetor fan.

wow, because it matters exactly which one of Sinn Fein's newly elected TDS are celebrating the IRA!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

This attitude of fear over the rise of SF is wrecking my head today. People going around at work as if the sky is about to fall.

The Irish electorate and been cowardly for many decades. They feared anything beyond the old faithfuls of FG and FF. FFG had it so good since the foundation of the state. FFG thought they would control the narrative indefinitely which made them more and more arrogant. Our political system has become a joke.

SF getting nearly 40 seats is democracy at work. 24% of the people that voted chose SF. Get over it. The antics of FFG over the past week in telling people to 'beware the boogeyman' helped SF get more support.

I voted FG for 20+ years and in the last 9 years they have given me massive public expenditure waste, cronyism, corruption, superquangos, insurance fraud, ongoing Garda corruption, expense fraud, double-jobbing TDs, a shocking health system etc etc. I know all about the Troubles too and I will watch the next coalition government with interest.

On Saturday I voted for the Social Democrats and I am glad that the political system has been rocked to its core. Let's see what happens but let's not be cackling Chicken Lickens.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Last 5 years more like and in particular since the Brexit vote.

They've opposed every European referendum.

• Advertisement

its not really racism to hate everyone non irish ,

They don't. Or do you think that Gerry and co arrived at Mandelas funeral because they flew ryanair?

Other than you stating it, do you have any evidence of SF racist policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Strumms wrote: »
    Totally, that in this moment of supposed inclusive celebration he wants to celebrate and name check terrorists.. so you can imagine what his idea of ‘rule of law’ is, and public service.

To paraphrase another poster a few comments back 'this is what people voted for' :eek:

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

storker wrote: »
    Ever-growing numbers of patients on trolleys. This is actually what people have voted for...

Spiraling rents. This is actually what people have voted for...

Businesses closing due to high insurance premiums. This is actually what people have voted for...

Double-jobbing politicians milking the system. This is actually what people have voted for...

Long commute times and inadequate public transport. This is actually what people have voted for...

Expensive child care. This is actually what people have voted for...

Both partners needing to work instead of choosing to. This is actually what people have voted for...

Taoiseach and ministers point-scoring instead of answering Dail questions. This is actually what people have voted for...

Problems being treated as PR problems instead of problems that effect peoples' lives. This is actually what people have voted for...

..etc

Looks like what we're in for alright with Sinn Fein.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

bubblypop wrote: »
    unless you are British or Unionist !!

Unionists are Irish ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 69,202 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Strumms wrote: »
    When you murder innocent people going about their daily lives, your a terrorist, if SF don’t recognize who they support... we’ll they do, seeing as they have had terrorists in their party at all levels.

Will you answer the question?

When exactly did SF ever see the IRA as 'terrorists'?

P.S. Does that mean we can call the BA 'terrorists' too?

That reminds me...nobody seems to have commented on the sudden rise in SF's fortunes following the departure of Adams. I suspect that's at least part of the story.

well Sinn Fein have obviously gone for the 'get the 2 womens into be the face of us, people will forget about the old lads planting bombs when the look at the two new lovely ladies.....sure how could we be terrorists when women are the leaders'
    :rolleyes:

They don't. Or do you think that Gerry and co arrived at Mandelas funeral because they flew ryanair?

ive never said they were racist, they just dislike non irish people be they of any race. The mandella thing was due to 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend' politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,380 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Unionists are Irish ;)

No, they’re not!

walshb wrote: »
    A nonsense reply.

No more nonsense that the suggestion that people gave SF huge amounts of first preferences so that a shinner could do his pro-Provo chant.
    Politics today is just a cesspool of combat and aggression...fuelled my morons on all sides! And all over social media.

Agreed. It's an irony of the modern age that the advances in communication technology have brought a corresponding drop in the standards of debate, discourse and critical thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

This attitude of fear over the rise of SF is wrecking my head today. People going around at work as if the sky is about to fall.

The Irish electorate and been cowardly for many decades. They feared anything beyond the old faithfuls of FG and FF. FFG had it so good since the foundation of the state. FFG thought they would control the narrative indefinitely which made them more and more arrogant. Our political system has become a joke.

SF getting nearly 40 seats is democracy at work. 24% of the people that voted chose SF. Get over it. The antics of FFG over the past week in telling people to 'beware the boogeyman' helped SF get more support.

I voted FG for 20+ years and in the last 9 years they have given me massive public expenditure waste, cronyism, corruption, superquangos, insurance fraud, ongoing Garda corruption, expense fraud, double-jobbing TDs, a shocking health system etc etc. I know all about the Troubles too and I will watch the next coalition government with interest.

On Saturday I voted for the Social Democrats and I am glad that the political system has been rocked to its core. Let's see what happens but let's not be cackling Chicken Lickens.

Also 50% of the seats in the dail were taken by parties who said they would not go into coalition with SF before the election.
    Democracy still works thankfully.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

They're more Irish than the fake refugees SF will be importing soon.

Unionists are Irish ;)

i Imagine the unionists would disagree with you :rolleyes:

travellers are irish too......we can still discriminate against them

JamesM wrote: »
    Looks like what we're in for alright with Sinn Fein.

No change from FFG in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,380 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Agreed. It's an irony of the modern age that the advances in communication technology have brought a corresponding drop in the standards of debate, discourse and critical thinking.

Couldn’t agree more. It’s the root of most, if not all issues/problems in society..

The continual erosion of standards, and almost pride in it!!!

ive never said they were racist, they just dislike non irish people be they of any race.

And - you stating it does not make it a fact. Proof is required. There are long links between the republican movement and the Basques, ANC and PLO.

They were giving out about SF wanting to allow in too many asylum seekers a few weeks back. There was even talk on how the average shinner is racist but supports SF even though they are supposedly for open doors to foreigners.
    Then there's the SF don't want to govern and the SF can't govern etc. etc.
    They're tripping over themselves rather than acknowledging the country wanted rid.

Also 50% of the seats in the dail were taken by parties who said they would not go into coalition with SF before the election.
    Democracy still works thankfully.

Yes. So long FG ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,027 ✭✭✭✭briany

walshb wrote: »
    No, they’re not!

They are Irish, but they also consider themselves British. Identity can be a multi-layered thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Why wouldn't they be fearful? Their manifesto is a recipe for the destruction of large parts of the economy, and their solutions to the problems the country faces are unfunded fantasy.

That said they are going to be in coalition, so presumably one of the saner parties will keep them in check. As well as keeping them out of Justice and foreign affairs.

This government will almost certainly collapse in crisis anyway - the arithmetic lends itself to instability. I wonder how they will handle the levers of power when the old comrades come knocking though.

• Advertisement

I would be more inclined to let them try and do what they have said they will do, and if they can't then they WILL get the boot the next time around.

Exactly. The voters in the long grass...er...haven't gone away, you know.

Advertisement