Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have we come to

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Odhinn wrote: »
    And - you stating it does not make it a fact. Proof is required. There are long links between the republican movement and the Basques, ANC and PLO.

and at the time, what was the british position on those organisations ?

or let me make it easier, has there ever been a time where SF and the british government have shared the same position on a foreign power or group ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

storker wrote: »
    Whataboutery noted, but actually I would ask that too...I think SF have a bit of growing up and opening up to do in government, but the suggestion that that kind of thing is what people voted for (apart from some who always vote SF anyway) is laughable. Voting for any political party is often an exercise in filling in a ballot paper while holding your nose (unless you're one of the faithful). Anyone who thinks that everyone who voted SF did so enthusiastically or without reservation is kidding themselves. It would be more apposite to ask what the mainstream parties did to make SF look worth a punt to so many people, but of course, it's much easier to hurl insults than engage in a bit of analysis or introspection.

Fair point on what the other parties did to let SF into this vaccum. Labour should be ashamed of themselves. In 1997 they were the kingmakers - look at them now!
    But I would not dissmiss that nasty undercurrent in SF as whataboutery. If they clean that up and were more honest and open. They would get more votes. Unfortunately SF's idea of cleaning up thier house - is hoping people forget or pretend it never happened.

The mask really slipped on David Cullinane as he did not know he was recorded.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

They were giving out about SF wanting to allow in too many asylum seekers a few weeks back. There was even talk on how the average shinner is racist but supports SF even though they are supposedly for open doors to foreigners.
    Then there's the SF don't want to govern and the SF can't govern etc. etc.
    They're tripping over themselves rather than acknowledging the country wanted rid.

I've been voting SF for 32 years now, and I think I would have noticed the aul racism/xenophobia policies if they were there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭storker

walshb wrote: »
    Ooooh No, they’re not!

FYP. This version is more appropriate to Irish politics. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭optogirl

bubblypop wrote: »
    well Sinn Fein have obviously gone for the 'get the 2 womens into be the face of us, people will forget about the old lads planting bombs when the look at the two new lovely ladies.....sure how could we be terrorists when women are the leaders'
    :rolleyes:

Nothing to do with their ability then? MLMCD is as good a politician as any of the other leaders. Faint praise perhaps but suggesting that she has been pushed forward simply to distract with her womanly ways is an insult to everyone.

wait till you see his response in the media... maybe tonight or tomorrow but its absolutely sick.

I have never distanced myself from the IRA, or from Bobby Sands and the people who died on hunger strike, or for those who, over 100 years, were involved in the armed struggle.

took a while but its published now.

hots wrote: »

Mary Lou hadn't seen the video so couldn't comment on the news just now..

She was kind of smirking as she said it too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Was just about to post it as well, the country is clearly going to safe hands with that type of bellend in a government position :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,502 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

In four years time or whenever the next election is, I’d be replaying that over and over.

• Advertisement

and at the time, what was the british position on those organisations

or let me make it easier, has there ever been a time where SF and the british government have shared the same position on a foreign power or group ?

Nonsense again. Point out what policies are xenophobic and/or racist please.

Nonsense again. Point out what policies are xenophobic and/or racist please.

ive repeatedly said multiple times that its about just massively preferring irish people , and stated that any of their interactions with foreign bodies have been more a 'against britain' than 'for foreign causes' .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Fair point on what the other parties did to let SF into this vaccum. Labour should be ashamed of themselves. In 1997 they were the kingmakers - look at them now!
    But I would not dissmiss that nasty undercurrent in SF as whataboutery. If they clean that up and were more honest and open. They would get more votes. Unfortunately SF's idea of cleaning up thier house - is hoping people forget or pretend it never happened.

FG stirred ignorant sentiment towards people in society. People they were supposed to represent. The idea that anyone needing state aid was lazy and any issues the tax payer had all went back to people on welfare. All the while bragging about how few people were unemployed.
    The posts on boards calling SF supporters scum and wasters is another thing.
    I think you should look hard at FG and it's supporters before you start on SF IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

He should have had the presence of mind, like his compatriots, to lie and claim that the audio was doctored.

Strumms wrote: »
    In four years time or whenever the next election is, I’d be replaying that over and over.

Why? The armed struggle is over now, and he was showing his admiration for the men and women who took part.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Dozyart

The hysteria and salty tears are hilarious to read :pac::pac::pac:

As well as keeping them out of Justice and foreign affairs.

for sure, but maybe we could let them have defence?
    would save the country so much, they already have a volunteer army, plenty of uniforms and firearms!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Why? The armed struggle is over now, and he was showing his admiration for the men and women who took part.

The ones who shot, bombed, and tortured people from this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭storker

Indeed. SF, assuming it gets into government, is going to have a spotlight shone on it like no party before. I think there's great potential for something like this to screw them up. It's the SF equivalent of Maria Bailey. :)

They'll need to get like Caesar's very pretty damn quick, I think, but if they do get into government I hope they do a good job of it, and maybe FFG will learn some lessons from this election.

ive repeatedly said multiple times that its about just massively preferring irish people , and stated that any of their interactions with foreign bodies have been more a 'against britain' than 'for foreign causes' .

You've stated that but provided no evidence to the fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭RonanG86

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Gas thing the umemployment rate is what 4% and yet 24% of voters gave SF their number 1. :pac: and they accuse the shinners of bad maths and economics :D

But all the gougers who are choosing to be unemployed and aren't on the Live Register because they're faking a disability, Luke. It's all of them making up the difference.

Nevermind that in my experience there are fewer examples of said class of individual than unofficial FG mouthpieces would like you to believe, and they largely don't bother voting anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

What about the housing and health solutions we were promised?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Unfortunately I doubt it will matter, it won't be of any surprise to anyone that voted for him.

The ones who shot, bombed, and tortured people from this country?

It was a war, and there were mistakes made and atrocities committed, as happens in all conflict.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

That us all grand and all but SF have a history of not answering questions as well. I would be more inclined to ask this new SF TD why he felt the need to shout up the 'ra. And what his views are on the rule of law in this country and in NI.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1226921320866369536

No place for that only gonna cause trouble if that's how the party is gonna be I'd imagine alot will have a case of "buyers remorse" fairly soon. People won't be long turnings against em if this is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

He should have had the presence of mind, like his compatriots, to lie and claim that the audio was doctored.

And Mary Lou adopts the Arsene Wenger defence:

“I haven’t seen the video so to be honest this is the first that I’ve heard of it and if that’s the case I don’t know what the context of the singing of that was I assume it must be Celtic Symphony or some such so David no doubt will make an explanation of that,”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Unless the central party can manage their new TDs, this kind of stuff will be their undoing.

The media are going to go full Jeremy Corbyn on them. More than most, they'll need to watch their P's and Q's in government

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I would be more inclined to let them try and do what they have said they will do, and if they can't then they WILL get the boot the next time around.

Fair enough but they have to let a lot of bad smells out to ever get my vote in a GE. I still think is amazing how just because the youth WC/SF vote were not around during the troubles nor so not understand the unresolved issues

so that the likes of:

- Maria Bailey on a swing fraud insurance claim

is a greater Moral wrong

- than Protecting Murderers and clearly still supporting paramilitaries even in Wexford!

Some equation!

Maria Bailey > moral wrong than protecting murderers and paramilitaries against the rule of law

:eek:

I thought the IRA were gone? :rolleyes:

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,502 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

He was pandering to the lowest common denominators, if he was that way intentioned he might have shown similar ‘support’ before the election :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

rdwight wrote: »
    What about the housing and health solutions we were promised?

.....well nobody has written a ballad about them but ye never know. Also theres no government formed as of yet.

Advertisement