Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have we come to

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

The hand-wringing and moralising on this thread is hilarious.

Simon Coveney only a few weeks ago was pressuring the parties in NI to go into government - including Sinn Fein. When they all did so, Coveney got a big pat on the back. But now that the prospect of SF being in government down here is likely, FG supporters are losing their marbles. If it's good enough for up the road, it's good enough for down the road.

And how much time is necessary to pass before SF are deemed palatable to the FG crowd, one wonders? It's already taken longer than it took for FG to get into power in 1948, 15 odd years after their fascist forebears the Blueshirts were shaming the country...

Get a grip, folks.

So SF supporters want SF to be in government with FG?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,208 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

More deflection by you.

So what is David Culliane's excuse as a SF member and TD in 2020?

https://www.todayfm.com/podcasts/the-last-word-with-matt-cooper/david-cullinane-ira-election

What is our excuse when we sing our Anthem?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

holyhead wrote: »
    What did you seriously expect Irish people to do. March up to another jurisdiction with a sense of moral outrage. What could the politicians realistically have done. Their was a private army killing and maiming in the pursuit of Irish unity.

Well I'll tell you what the politicians did do/allow happen. Implement section 31 and push it way beyond it's intended purposes, to the point people down were censored to the day to day brutality the Irish in the north faced. Brush it under the carpet. It's what the political procrastinators down here always did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

So all seats are filled with SF as the largest party.

This will be interesting

Ush1 wrote: »
    So SF supporters want SF to be in government with FG?

I voted for them to negotiate an acceptable programme for government with whomever they can.

What did you vote for?

• Advertisement

You still haven't answered what you realistically could have expected Irish people and politicians in the Republic to have done?

Hmm, sort of hard when you edit the post after I wrote the message

• Registered Users Posts: 18,836 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Cheers. Washington was young but he was a soldier, not liked he killed a young civilian on the street. And Barry played rugby for Belevedere College. But none of this will help us form a government in 2020.We need to look to 2020 issues rather than figure out how many party misdeeds makes peeople unelectable. I want an all party, including indies, government made up of the most capable people to do their job in particular departments and an end to bickering.

It is the SF hypocrisy. That is the fundamental to the reason why other parties, won't go into government with them.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

This will be legal looting of state coffers on a grand scale.

That was the bank bailout wasn't it?

Bill 2.0 wrote: »
    None. Those were Northern Irish men/women dying. Different country, you see.

Northern irish is a nationality?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

This will be legal looting of state coffers on a grand scale.

You mean, like NAMA's misdirection of market forces, or the National Pension Reserve or the awarding of an overpriced broadband contract or water meter contract??

Like that? Hard to see it pal. FF and FG have made all the big moves already.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Bill 2.0 wrote: »
    None. Those were Northern Irish men/women dying. Different country, you see.

Why is an english man like yourself interested in irish politics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Hmm, sort of hard when you edit the post after I wrote the message

What did you realistically expect the Irish people and politicians to do? Legally Northern Ireland was/is a separate jurisdiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

No, instead stood by while thousands of your own were injured, burned south, faced daily intimidation, murdered by state forces and their proxies.

How many Irish men died north of the border as a result of choices by decent Irish people south of the border to let them fend for themselves

Easy to preach from the comfort of the south until it's one of your own family murdered or intimidated by a foreign state. But alas, many down here simply want to brush that under the carpet, and solely point the finger at SF

Absolutely, when the south got Independence and accepted partition, the nationalists in the north were abandoned.
    There is no way I can defend all the actions carried out by the IRA, but a conflict like that does not appear out of nothing.
    It was unprecedented in Western Europe at the time but it was the result of generations living in a virtual apartheid state.
    In the late 60's the nationalists population was under attack while southern political class did nothing bar a few individuals.

I voted for them to negotiate an acceptable programme for government with whomever they can.

What did you vote for?

A full left Government is what you will get.

SF have a massive manefesto to deliver on now with nobody on the left who join them blocking it.

They will have no excuses.

FG and FF will now sit back and watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Simon Coveney only a few weeks ago was pressuring the parties in NI to go into government - including Sinn Fein. When they all did so, Coveney got a big pat on the back. But now that the prospect of SF being in government down here is likely, FG supporters are losing their marbles. If it's good enough for up the road, it's good enough for down the road.

Hardly the same situation at all. They had no government while all the elected officials had a stand off for a few years.

Does anyone else get the feeling the SF crowd could very easily turn very anti immigration too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

It is the SF hypocrisy. That is the fundamental to the reason why other parties, won't go into government with them.

Ff and FG are the hypocrites.
    'Stability' my hole. Looking after each other and keeping the shinners out.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I did nae.
    No second candidate. Don't like o'snodaigh. Delighted they did well. It's all good you can sign me up as happy they are looking like getting in.

Seems bizarre that you would be "delighted" they did so well, but wouldnt give them a preference to help them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Does anyone else get the feeling the SF crowd could very easily turn very anti immigration too?

A newly elected Sinn Fein candidate had his house attacked for supporting a direct provision centre in Leitrim. So no I don't get that feeling

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Bill 2.0

Northern irish is a nationality?

Yeah. Northern Ireland is a country that is part of the United Kingdom.

You should probably know facts like this before you start talking about the place.

• Advertisement

No. I get a feeling that SF didn’t want to be the largest party lol

A full left Government is what you will get.

SF have a massive manefesto to deliver on now with nobody on the left who join them blocking it.

They will have no excuses.

FG and FF will now sit back and watch.

Well fair enough then if they think it will work. I gave them a mandate to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Claire makes me wide awake.

Especially with the tight pants.

Well fair enough then if they think it will work. I gave them a mandate to do that.

True. I’m actually interested to see how it goes. I’ve never experienced a full left government rule

What did you realistically expect the Irish people and politicians to do? Legally Northern Ireland was/is a separate jurisdiction.

The politicians could literally have stood on the streets in solidarity with their people. They could have mobilized their parties into the north. Yes, Irish people could literally have crossed the border to help out on the streets.

Instead they politicians were too busy censoring what was happening, liaising with the British, and using the situation to score political points on one another from the comfort of the south like they always did. You really believe there was a will from the decent Irish politicians or the decent Irish people to help, or were they quite happy to let the Irish in the north fend for themselves as long as they weren't effected in the south?

Criticise SF all you want, pointing to what they did in the past, as if they were the only player in the conflict and the cause of it all. Rightly or wrongly, at least they did something. Which is alot more than what can be said for the others

What is our excuse when we sing our Anthem?

Another straw-man argument by you. That is the only anthem we have been given written in 1910. Plus many do not know the words in this country, or the meaning, sadly.

Many have called for the anthem to be changed. Which I agree with most mumble it if that. And it is not very catchy.

You know and I know the phrase 'up the ra' is aimed at the provos and that is what David Cullane did. An elected TD in the ROI. Bringing the SF stains down here. SF will be faced with this problem time and time again as it struggles with trying to normalise the party against such antics.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

Reminds me alot of the Brexit vote in the UK in 2016, people voted against the establishment for the sake of it,in alot of instances not having a clue what they voted for.

FG and FF could well let SF do it without them but it could depend on how desperate M Martin is to be Taoiseach.

No. I get a feeling that SF didn’t want to be the largest party lol

Yeah I forget who said it on the Radio this morning. They said Mary Lou's dream job is leader of the opposition. No accountability, a high profile, and the SF vote will grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Bill 2.0

The politicians could literally have stood on the streets in solidarity with their people. Yes, Irish people could literally have crossed the border to help out on the streets.

Instead they politicians were too busy censoring what was happening, liaising with the British, and using the situation to score political points on one another from the comfort of the south like they always did. You really believe their was a will from the decent Irish politicians or the decent Irish people to help, or were they quite happy to let the Irish in the north fend for themselves as long as they weren't effected in the south?

Those people in the north aren't Irish, they are Northern Irish. You know, UK citizens from the UK nation of Northern Ireland.

Why would any Irish politicians or Irish citizens care about them?

• Advertisement

Reminds me alot of the Brexit vote in the UK in 2016, people voted against the establishment for the sake of it,in alot of instances not having a clue what they voted for.

FG and FF could well let SF do it without them but it could depend on how desperate M Martin is to be Taoiseach.

How could MM be Taoiseach with less seats then SF?

Advertisement