Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have we come to

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

I think some of the youth vote for Sinn Fein has an Antifa feel to it. In the US it is now quite legitimate for young people to admire hysterical people in balaclavas using violence or the threat of it as a legitimate means of defending against "facism", ie seriously intimidating anyone who does not adhere to your ideological creed on any chosen issue. The sneaking regard and moral relativism displayed by some posters on this thread for violence, the minimisation of recently past atrocities, the dismissal of present day dog whistles to justifiable violence, all seem to me to be an ignorant wish for social justice warrior identity politics, Irish style. Fools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Would it be so bad to let the clowns into government for a couple of years, let them make such a mess of it that people will never again give them a chance and let them see how hard it is to run a country without the guiding hand of whitehall, i can't see any sf led government lasting longer than 3 years, my only fear now if they don't get into power now is, come the next election they'll sweep the board with a massive majority

That has merit, my fear there though is that they fcuk things up so badly it could take much longer to repair. Fcuked if you do, fcuked if you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

Sinn Fein plus everyone else makes 87?

Maybe without labour 81 with confidence and supply support from labour?

How likely are the independents to sign up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

I really, really hope whoever gets in charge doesn't cancel MetroLink and BusConnects.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Would it be so bad to let the clowns into government for a couple of years, let them make such a mess of it that people will never again give them a chance and let them see how hard it is to run a country without the guiding hand of whitehall, i can't see any sf led government lasting longer than 3 years, my only fear now if they don't get into power now is, come the next election they'll sweep the board with a massive majority

It would take another 10 years to put it right so that's another lost decade for anyone over 40

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

It would take another 10 years to put it right so that's another lost decade for anyone over 40

Agreed, either way we've shot ourselves in both feet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,326 ✭✭✭facehugger99

wow that's some stretch. youre equating people taking their own lives during a time of global economic downturn with actual murder.

The moral gymnastics of the SF'ers to try and justify murder is nauseating.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

That has merit, my fear there though is that they fcuk things up so badly it could take much longer to repair. Fcuked if you do, fcuked if you don't.

You were obviously living on Mars when Brian Lenihan JR was minister for finance in 2008 and came out to tell us the country was fuc**. Didnt take long for people to start voting FF again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

Well here's the thing... The government can change feic all. A la Trump in America...with all his shouting what major changes have come into effect? The reality is there's a certain amount of money, it's pretty much all pre committed to health etc.. I think it's maybe one of the frustrations a new government will find. It's really hard to change things quickly. The bigger worry I'd have is how it spins in the US. Most US companies are here for various tax breaks..if they go so more taxes can be raised to increase the rate if change we'd be back to 2008 levels of unemployment pretty quickly. People talk a lot about government being pro business. Reality is when business does well people do well through increased employment, higher tax return which can fund health etc.. it's a pretty vicious circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Are you one of Leo's early risers or are you coming back from an all night bender?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭PommieBast

bubblypop wrote: »
    newly appointed TD in Wexford shouting 'up the ra' in his celebration speech

classy. this is actually what people have voted for
    That pretty much sums up why I am glad I did not give SF any preferences. Maybe I ought to move to Berlin or Amsterdam as soon as I get my Irish passport..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Cina wrote: »
    I really, really hope whoever gets in charge doesn't cancel MetroLink and BusConnects.

Didn't FF want to scrap BusConnects?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Ush1 wrote: »
    Didn't FF want to scrap BusConnects?

Not just BusConnects, they want to potentially delay/change/scrap Metrolink too. It would be a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Not just BusConnects, they want to potentially delay/change/scrap Metrolink too. It would be a disaster.
    Ah FFS

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Sinn Féin Spokesperson for Brexit, David Cullinane, on the night of his election win: "UP THE RA!!!"

Fúckin hell :pac:

Like it or no, this stunt will have a bearing on the formation of the government.

Cullinane is a stupid stupid man. Not to be trusted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Well here's the thing... The government can change feic all. A la Trump in America...with all his shouting what major changes have come into effect?

A lot, actually. I hardly even know where to start. Huge changes to immigration and travel bans and family deportations, and separations/treatment of migrants at the border. Tax cuts for the wealthy, hard luck for the middle/lower classes. His appointed Education secretary is an out of touch billionaire, no experience whatsoever in education. Funding in that sector has been cut for public schools as she plainly champions private/charter schools. Michelle Obama's healthy lunch program has also been rolled back. Funding and laws for the environment have been peeled back. This has caused MANY issues. Pulled out of the Paris Climate Accord - only country in the world to do so? Meanwhile military and southern border wall funds have been massively increased (ignoring aging infrastructure). An increase in hate crimes, according to the FBI late 2019, following the racist and sexist rhetoric he sets as example. A change in their court system by appointing assaulter/raper/conservative Supreme Court judge which is a lifetime appointment and shapes the laws of the land. Trump's administration has been trying to tear down Obamacare bit by bit (wanting ultimately to repeal it but no plans to replace with anything else) making it much harder for poorer Americans to get healthcare they need in a country where costs related to such will send one into financial ruin or an early grave. International trade isn't going so well, and Canada filed a violation charge against them with the WTO. For that matter, Trump is an international political disaster - an embarrassment and danger to Americans. (and the world) - dealings with Putin and calls for hacking his own political system, Kim Jon Un "Rocket Man," pulling troops from Syria, etc etc) Alright have to stop there I'm out of time, but here's a start.

The Greens also wanted to delay metro link by having it extended to South West. Ironic really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

The irony is that there will be less money to build houses going forward

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Gynoid wrote: »
    I think some of the youth vote for Sinn Fein has an Antifa feel to it. In the US it is now quite legitimate for young people to admire hysterical people in balaclavas using violence or the threat of it as a legitimate means of defending against "facism", ie seriously intimidating anyone who does not adhere to your ideological creed on any chosen issue. The sneaking regard and moral relativism displayed by some posters on this thread for violence, the minimisation of recently past atrocities, the dismissal of present day dog whistles to justifiable violence, all seem to me to be an ignorant wish for social justice warrior identity politics, Irish style. Fools.

Jesus, such delusional nonsense.

Bringing Antifa into it is comical, the vast majority of Irish people have never heard of them

You've confused 'ignorant wish for social justice warrior identity politics' with 'wish for some social justice' ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,326 ✭✭✭facehugger99

In fairness, the money for the dole increases need to come from some where.

Moneytrees will only get you so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Coronavirus has caused the price of crude and Asian stocks to fall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭GDK_11

Expect to see plenty more “up the RA” stuff in the future. A lot of people still seem to identify with this for some strange reason, I mentioned on another thread that there are a lot of similarities to draw from the Brexit vote.

There are of course a majority who voted cause they want change and whilst it wouldn’t be for me we love in a democracy and the votes should be respected. No doubt there are those whose only wish is a united Ireland and blaming the Brits for their troubles, there is undoubtedly a
    nationalist element across half the world at this stage.

Those who sing these songs when they should be celebrating their achievements are no better than the moronic English football fans singing f*** the IRA. Wouldn’t it be nice to just live in the here and now - hopefully there will be a unification poll done peacefully and that can settle the debate until the next one anyway!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

The electorate need a serious wake-up call.

Yes this is what was typed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Cupatae wrote: »
    Those poor poor English people , what did they ever do to deserve such things, what could drive someone to bomb there country , they wouldn't have pillaged murdered and killed men women and children themselves by any chance would they? Where's the outrage for our own that were murdered ? Causing all of this in the first place . Seems that's conviently left out.

I don't condone the killing of Innocents but the fact they should hang there heads in shame for fighting back is disgrace especially after all the atrocities carried out against the "decent" people of this island by external forces.

Wow. Feel the zealous unapologetic vengefulness!

If you were American, you'd be wearing a MAGA hat!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

GDK_11 wrote: »
    hopefully there will be a unification poll done peacefully and that can settle the debate until the next one anyway!!!!

The only way to have a peaceful "unification poll" is not to have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Would it be so bad to let the clowns into government for a couple of years, let them make such a mess of it that people will never again give them a chance and let them see how hard it is to run a country without the guiding hand of whitehall, i can't see any sf led government lasting longer than 3 years, my only fear now if they don't get into power is, come the next election they'll sweep the board with a massive majority

They are already letting their true colours and their real priorities show just days after the election.

For those who didn't already know the history and what this party represents (and hence voted for them) this might come as a shock as they realise their mistake.

Nothing has changed, and I fear the mess they make will have serious repercussions for the country lasting much longer than their government tenure.

I'm hoping whoever goes into government with them is good at damage control.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,838 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Now you're just lying. Hence the lack of quotes.

Yet more deflection. Interesting how only one person agrees with this view, I don't need to quote you directly, this thread knows what you are, as do you clearly. They just have to read this thread, and any right thinking person will come to the same realisation. A person who claimed they never voted SF but would before the election. Then after the election they implied they still had not! It is wonderful duplicity.
    Deflect, deny. discredit, and hope it goes away the SF mantra.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭GDK_11

The only way to have a peaceful "unification poll" is not to have one.

Quite possibly but the issue is only going to become bigger now. SF will know that this may well turn out to be their biggest opportunity to get this done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,838 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Like it or no, this stunt will have a bearing on the formation of the government.

Cullinane is a stupid stupid man. Not to be trusted.

Plus what makes it worse he is 45 yet going on about H Blocks, Bobby Sands and up the ra.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Advertisement