Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have we come to

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Matt. He's best ignored. Just a troll looking for a reaction.

I think the memo 'ignore FF, go after SF' from the shadowy figures in FG HQ needs updating.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

Sure that is just limited to the circles in which you yourself move. It might be more of a reflection of that rather than general population.

Don't think so, the faux outrage is getting more commentary than the Ra comment itself.

bladespin wrote: »
    Don't think so, the faux outrage is getting more commentary than the Ra comment itself.

It's very bratty. I'd expect if from the likes of Varadkar, but I assumed the average FG'er would have a little more common or garden grace in defeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,836 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Says the lad/lady deflecting...
    Ask me anything Gormo.
    You are lying and pretending and inferring.

Rubbish you have answered nothing -

1) Why chose the name of Leo's partner if you are so vehemently anti-FG?

2) Why claim that you are a first time SF voter prior to the election?

3) Then after the election why imply that you did not vote SF?

4) Why have you not found anything comparable to SF murders and/or cover ups of same with current representatives in the dail - other than SF?

5) Why do you try and deflect these issues by claiming FG damaged the country? When they renegotiated Brexit, recovered the economy. Why the denial of FG achievements?

6) Not only that you have the gall to claim and/or imply that anything FG reps may have done - aka Maria Bailey is much worse than murder or cover ups of same?
    Why the dismissal of murders cover ups and a questionable approach to justice by SF in such a glib manner?

7) You have notably given no comment on SF's record in governance in NI for the last 22 years. Which have many of the problems or worse which you claim FG caused in the ROI. Why no comment on this?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I was born in the 80s and both my parents had solid public service jobs straight out of Uni/College and owned a house in south Dublin at age 24.

'There were no iPhones, Xboxes'

Owning a house / secure long term rent is more important that having an Xbox I think.

And luckily a lot of voters agree.

It's why SF won! :cool:

Housing crisis deniers keep pretending there's no problem.

Sunshine you were born into a pretty priviledged position because the vast vast majority of people born in the 80s hadn't two parents who had been to college nor two parents who walked into "solid public service jobs" upon leaving it, never mind were able to buy a house in South Dublin by age 24.

And the fact that you spew that out as some sort of norm really highlights how little you know of our history.
    I suppose that makes you an ideal voter for sinn fein.

BTW no one is denying there is a housing problem, but as shure as hell we aint claiming that years ago was some utopia like you had the priviledge of being born into.

BTW can the sinn fein supporters please tell us how exactly they are going to solve housing and healthcare?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Yurt! wrote: »
    Whatever about a housing shortage, there's definately going to be a psychologist shortage in Ireland with all the shattered psyches among FG supporters. In the seven stages of grief, I think we're witnessing anger and bargaining at the moment - acceptance is a long way off, but the poor craythurs will get there someday.

Those psychologists will have a bit of practice under their belt so, because they are going to need it when Matt and yourself turn up in your berets wondering why Sinn Fein did not fix housing or health or .....well....practically anything :D

What 'mythmaking' have I engaged in?

That is more your two comrades who thanked your post - Matt Barrett, and Green and Red- that is thier strengths.

Yours is the man of straw argument so you can keep moving the goal posts - National Anthem - Leo and the Collins pic etc etc

By far the best at deflection artist and mythmaker has to be Matt Barrett not only does he/she not answer questions directly - but distorts the truth.
    Does things like telling people to forget the past, then brings up the past when it suits.
    A SF Councillor in the making at least

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,638 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Matt. He's best ignored. Just a troll looking for a reaction.
    No you don't. You made up what the banner say, invented a new context. That's all I replied to you about. You're a troll. CU next Tuesday.

If you have a problem with a post or poster report it and leave the modding to the mods

• Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭patmac

Anyway thoughts of a Squeezed Middle culchie ‘never going to vote for Sinn Fein’ 58 year old. I was watching prime time last night and it’s all so depressing. The current shower have a look outside the Dail windows and see the cranes and the place awash with money and think everything is grand.
    I’m as badly off as I was in 2008 except I’m expected to work more and for another 3 years before I can retire.
    I’m fortunate and I’m pissed of with the government, I can only imagine how the younger generation feel living to survive, although anyone who left school in the early 80’s will relate.

I thought give Sinn Fein a go until that fool started singing ‘up the ra’ and you think oh yeah this is why I didn’t vote for them.
    Anyway the next government will be FF-FG or most likely FF-SF so telpis (Dublin inner City Centre Facebook word for God Help Us)

No you don't. You made up what the banner say, invented a new context. That's all I replied to you about. You're a troll. CU next Tuesday.

You are seeing thing that are not there - NY clearly mentioned etc. You would want to blind not to see it. No wonder Mayo have no decent scoring forwards!

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    If you have a problem with a post or poster report it and leave the modding to the mods

I hope Green and Red poster reports me so thier stupidity can be unveiled.
    I have clearly mentioned Mary Lou NY and naive rich Americans.

It baffles me why Green and Red thinks this is trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,208 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

That is more your two comrades who thanked your post - Matt Barrett, and Green and Red- that is thier strengths.

Yours is the man of straw argument so you can keep moving the goal posts - National Anthem - Leo and the Collins pic etc etc

You never did explain what the difference was. Still waiting,
    By far the best at deflection artist and mythmaker has to be Matt Barrett not only does he/she not answer questions directly - but distorts the truth.
    Does things like telling people to forget the past, then brings up the past when it suits.
    A SF Councillor in the making at least

You are on such a diatribe gormdubh, it is difficult to see what your point is.

Is it that a political party may have at times gilded the lily?
    At times may have tried to turn a failure into a victory?
    May have done something they said they wouldn't?

What political party cannot be accused of that exactly?

Rubbish you have answered nothing -

1) Why chose the name of Leo's partner if you are so vehemently anti-FG?

2) Why claim that you are a first time SF voter prior to the election?

3) Then after the election why imply that you did not vote SF?

4) Why have you not found anything comparable to SF murders and/or cover ups of same with current representatives in the dail - other than SF?

5) Why do you try and deflect these issues by claiming FG damaged the country? When they renegotiated Brexit, recovered the economy. Why the denial of FG achievements?

6) Not only that you have the gall to claim and/or imply that anything FG may have done - aka Maria Bailey is much worse than murder or cover ups of same.
    Why the dismissal of murders cover ups and a questionable approach to justice by SF?

7) You have notably given no comment on SF's record in governance in NI for the last 22 years. Which have many of the problems or worse which you claim FG caused in NI. Why no comment on this?

1) I got jokes.

2) That's not true never said that. I always give SF a nod, (except O'Snodaigh) never a number 1.

3) SF only ran O'Snodaigh, so I didn't. I still back their housing policy and hope they play a role in government.

4) This is a strained question. There are no SF murders for one thing. As for the other parties, I haven't looked and there likely isn't any. Did I claim something like that? I don't believe so.

5) Loaded question there Gormo. I've not deflected one thing. This is a lie you spin about posters that call you out on your other sh*te. I do not ignore high employment. I've mentioned it a number of times. FG were terrible and making things worse. Accept the will of your people.

6) More lies. I said the myriad crises and that are more pressing issues to the electorate than the alleged shenanigans of ex-IRA or SF affiliates.

7) Lies. I've commented on it a lot. I think SF and the IRA were a necessity for the conflict to push forward the rights of Catholics and nationalists. Times change and so do people. So there would be splinter groups not happy with the GFA and so on. If I lived up there I'd likely give SF a number 1 vote. I've said this before. The situation in the faux democracy in the occupied territory is not comparable. Also on criminality and terrorism. FF/FG have no need because they can bend the rules to fit their corruption and cronyism.

Now. I shouldn't be giving you my sense because you'll likely dismiss it with more lies and that, but I made the offer, so here I am.

What about FF? Generational debt less important than keeping the shinners from upsetting the civil war see-saw?

patmac wrote: »
    Anyway thoughts of a Squeezed Middle culchie ‘never going to vote for Sinn Fein’ 58 year old. I was watching prime time last night and it’s all so depressing. The current shower have a look outside the Dail windows and see the cranes and the place awash with money and think everything is grand.
    I’m as badly off as I was in 2008 except I’m expected to work more and for another 3 years before I can retire.
    I’m fortunate and I’m pissed of with the government, I can only imagine how the younger generation feel living to survive, although anyone who left school in the early 80’s will relate.

I thought give Sinn Fein a go until that fool started singing ‘up the ra’ and you think oh yeah this is why I didn’t vote for them.
    Anyway the next government will be FF-FG or most likely FF-SF so telpis (Dublin inner City Centre Facebook word for God Help Us)

Fair play for your honesty, it is in short supply on this thread!
    Your post is one that fairminded people can respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

'Mary Lou in NY with the banner - get the english out of Ireland'

If you're gonna lie better not leave the evidence on the previous page.

Leader of party promoting a United Ireland holds an 'England get out of Ireland' banner in St. Patrick's Day Parade shocker.

You don't seem to realise that it's the unionists who are seeing that and it says to them that they're being told to get out of Ireland.

It's not a great message of your trying to entice unionists into a united Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

patmac wrote: »

I think sinn fein got a huge protest vote as I think Trump and Brexit were largely out of protests and wholesale disillusionment.
    Problem has been that some of those same protest voters have become even more entrenched rather than less so as time passes.
    Ultimately over time, once the consequences of the the decisions come majorily home to roost, will they shy away from their decisions.

The only question is how much damage is done in the meantime.

The lesson learned should be by the old political parties and establishment.
    And what scares me is they aint learning those lessons, but simply lambasting the voters.

The funny thing is a huge chunk of sinn fein voters were the exact ones poking fun at and deriding Brexit voters and Trump voters for believing in change and throwing out the old standards and failures.

Hell how similar is talk by sinn feiners about cleaning out the Dail of the old establishment to Trump's draining the swamp ?

It is the same story, but just a left tinge put to it.

I am not allowed discuss …

You never did explain what the difference was. Still waiting,;
    Yes I did but you like dagging out the strawman game.
    Your strength you are A1 at it top marks well done.

You are on such a diatribe gormdubh, it is difficult to see what your point is.

Is it that a political party may have at times gilded the lily?
    At times may have tried to turn a failure into a victory?
    May have done something they said they wouldn't?

What political party cannot be accused of that exactly?

Ok reasons SF remained blank on my ballot paper -

1) I looked at SF's governance record in NI politically and saw the hypocrisy - health, soc welfare, housing etc

2) There is a large cohort in SF who drag the rest down and pander to the paras etc (as proven in recent days)

3) I saw Mary Lou's disastrous performance on Prime Time that was the clincher for me (SF are unwilling to even aspire be a clean party I thought to myself)

Reason's I voted FG for the first time

1) How FG fared with Brexit - full employment etc

2) Aimed for collation of FG, Greens, SD, Labour, - nice mix of centre right and centre left

3) There was a lack of independent credible voices in the constituency this time around

You don't seem to realise that it's the unionists who are seeing that and it says to them that they're being told to get out of Ireland.

It's not a great message of your trying to entice unionists into a united Ireland.

TBF, by definition you cannot 'entice' a Unionist to not be a Unionist. I don't want them out but I do want a united Ireland.
    When we've discussed that banner it's suggested England relates to Westminster.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

The gov can build houses at cost. The gov has no incentive to make a profit.
    Introduce some form of a rent to buy scheme, the property remains an asset of the state.

In my parents generation and throughout the late 20th century the gov built many many social houses. Many estates. They did this all over the country. There is nothing to stoip them doing it again.

The gov are well able to find the money for NAMA and underwrite all bank debts but building houses is impossible? Its BS.
    The political will just isnt there because FF and FG are beholden to monied interests.

I didnt vote for Sinn Fein btw but i can see why people did. Something has gotta give in this country with regards housing.

It is in everyones interest. Even current homeowners. If things dont change who is going to be paying the rents for all the people who retire?
    State pension wont cover rent. Home owners and the wealthy will need to be tapped. So its in everyones interest to fix housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭GreenandRed

100% agree with that. Not saying it was a smart move by Mary Lou. But we shouldn't be so surprised by her views.

Just that the poster deliberately misrepresented what was on the banner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

It's interesting seeing people's opinions such that the economy is already down the tubes before a new government has even been formed. Public sentiment is a powerful tool in recession making: people are (unnecessarily) afraid, they hold off on spending, they spread the doom and gloom and the economy gets worse. Everyone should just chill out a little.

flynnlives wrote: »
    The gov can build houses at cost. The gov has no incentive to make a profit.
    Introduce some form of a rent to buy scheme, the property remains an asset of the state.

In my parents generation and throughout the late 20th century the gov built many many social houses. Many estates. They did this all over the country. There is nothing to stoip them doing it again.

The gov are well able to find the money for NAMA and underwrite all bank debts but building houses is impossible? Its BS.
    The political will just isnt there because FF and FG are beholden to monied interests.

I didnt vote for Sinn Fein btw but i can see why people did. Something has gotta give in this country with regards housing.

It is in everyones interest. Even current homeowners. If things dont change who is going to be paying the rents for all the people who retire?
    State pension wont cover rent. Home owners and the wealthy will need to be tapped. So its in everyones interest to fix housing.

More private profit in government buying and leasing. This is more important to FG than tackling the crises and looking after the tax payer purse. That's why they had to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭GreenandRed

For me she wants the British government out if Northern Ireland. She has negotiated with Unionists before and knows she has to respect their views and traditions. Which isn't the same as saying she's happy with the Unionists views or traditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,208 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Yes I did but you like dagging out the strawman game.
    Your strength you are A1 at it top marks well done.

Ok reasons SF remained blank on my ballot paper -

1) I looked at SF's governance record in NI politically and saw the hypocrisy - health, soc welfare, housing etc

2) There is a large cohort in SF who drag the rest down and pander to the paras etc (as proven in recent days)

3) I saw Mary Lou's disastrous performance on Prime Time that was the clincher for me (SF are unwilling to even aspire be a clean party I thought to myself)

and? Seriously, you are free to form any opinion you wish. The country is not going to go down the tubes because people disagree with your view and vote for someone else.

You need to stop the Eoghan Harris 'losing your marbles' diatribes about it.
    Reason's I voted FG for the first time

1) How FG fared with Brexit - full employment etc

2) Aimed for collation of FG, Greens, SD, Labour, - nice mix of centre right and centre left

3) There was a lack of independent credible voices in the constituency this time around

Fair play. Nobody stopped you doing that, did they?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

flynnlives wrote: »

There were a couple of economist on Radio 1 this morning saying the same thing. A government that isn't beholden to developer cronies, land rezoning interests and others will be well able to build houses quickly and affordably. Just f**kin' do it, it's not rocket science.

It's interesting seeing people's opinions such that the economy is already down the tubes before a new government has even been formed. Public sentiment is a powerful tool in recession making: people are (unnecessarily) afraid, they hold off on spending, they spread the doom and gloom and the economy gets worse. Everyone should just chill out a little.

The markets have zero conscience and are not a good gauge on what's the best move. Case in point, if SF get in we might see a drop, if FF get in we might see a rise. People may remember the crash. The markets loved FF right up until the arse fell out and the general public got blamed by both FF and later FG and the tax payer had to bail all the gamblers out for the team.
    So I'll take a nervous market if it means the tax payer might get looked after for once rather than as a middling default.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The markets have zero conscience and are not a good gauge on what's the best move. Case in point, if SF get in we might see a drop, if FF get in we might see a rise. People may remember the crash. The markets loved FF right up until the arse fell out and the general public got blamed by both FF and later FG and the tax payer had to bail all the gamblers out for the team.
    So I'll take a nervous market if it means the tax payer might get looked after for once rather than as a middling default.

I think the problem is more that if the markets get scared, the bond rates go up, and the multinationals take flight or even pause investment, the few enough taxpayers left will be stuck paying down government debt and there will be little enough left to give them a hand-out.

and? Seriously, you are free to form any opinion you wish. The country is not going to go down the tubes because people disagree with your view and vote for someone else.

You need to stop the Eoghan Harris 'losing your marbles' diatribes about it.

Fair play. Nobody stopped you doing that, did they?

Nobody called him an ignorant ill educated waster either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

There were a couple of economist on Radio 1 this morning saying the same thing. A government that isn't beholden to developer cronies, land rezoning interests and others will be well able to build houses quickly and affordably. Just f**kin' do it, it's not rocket science.

Stop! stop! stop! The grand narrative is collapsing around me.

bUiLDiNG aFfORDaBLE HOusInG iS imPOSSibLe! I dOn'T CaRe if AUSTriANS Do it. ThAT's dIFFeRent. TheY SPEak GeRMan.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    I think the problem is more that if the markets get scared, the bond rates go up, and the multinationals take flight or even pause investment, the few enough taxpayers left will be stuck paying down government debt and there will be little enough left to give them a hand-out.

They will all do what's most likely to make them money. Only time will tell. They couldn't care less who gets in once they can make money.
    We could do with less of some kinds such as vulture funds and if a few Putin affiliated oil companies who legally launder money through Ireland while having little to no staff and paying little taxes leave, I can live with that.

Advertisement