Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have we come to

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

I don't care. Keep it up. I find it tiresome out of context and used as a distraction. If you really cared you wouldn't be so disrespectful.

The only people being disrespected are his family. Scumbags are scumbags and no amount of deflecting by you or how you feel about it is going to change that fact

shesty wrote: »
    For anyone having doubts about the continued existence of the IRA...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/sinn-f%C3%A9in-vice-president-michelle-o-neill-targeted-by-dissident-plot-1.4170433?mode=amp

Myself, I don't care what SF say they will do.I will never be able to separate them from the IRA.It was a background to too many of my years growing up, and I don't even live up North.It is too recent for too many people, and giving them the benefit of the doubt is just a step too far.I don't have an allegiance to anyone else btw, and I believe all parties are very similar.But SF are something else entirely.

So sf and the ira are one and the same by your logic, but the ira are now threatening their politicians in the north according to the link you provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,835 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

They weren't fecking involved in 'Sunningdale'. And it is crucially different in a number of respects to the GFA.

Exactly, SF were not involved like eejits, but everyone knows sunningdale and the GFA were effectively the same. The GFA was based on it. Mallon called it Sunningdale for slow learners.

Who has claimed that it is wrong to remember?

It isn't a priority for you, and neither is parity of esteem. OK, We get it.

You did not even want the RIC remembered!

Plus most hardline republicans do not remember republicanism, they glorify it and create myths around it. To suit the agenda.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I was speaking on Ulster-Scots and the similarities.

Why so negative towards our language but seemingly no issue and defensive of Ulster-Scots?

I am just explaining the facts, that is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

jmayo wrote: »
    Since you have refused to come back and answer my multiple questions about how sinn fein are going to solve the housing issues and you then dump references to Austria I am going to challenge your typical shinner one line here.

Yes Austria has subsidised affordable housing but why not flush it out a wee bit for the folks around here.

For instance how many people want their affordable housing with absolutely no parking spaces ?
    I mean it's not as if we need cars since our public transport so shyte.

Also when Irish people speak of housing they usually think of A HOUSE, not an apartment.
    And definitely not one in a big high rise.

5b4e21541900002b00c65f11.jpeg?ops=scalefit_970_noupscale

That is Alt-Erlaa municipal housing in Vienna.

SF could call their variant Tiocfaidh-Erlaa.

• Advertisement

DubInMeath wrote: »
    So sf and the ira are one and the same by your logic, but the ira are now threatening their politicians in the north according to the link you provided.

Same linage different generation - those threatening MON will be in the dail/stormont in a few decades

Same linage different generation - those threatening MON will be in the dail/stormont in a few decades

So where are the dup recruiting from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

What saddens me is you tried to one up murder with a former taoiseachs 18 nephew robbing a car, burglary, and taking drugs. A person with no involvement with politics. And no connection other than by familial relation.

The key point here was he was held accountable for his actions in a court of law.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/taoiseachs-nephew-jailed-for-burglary-drugs-and-car-theft-29070671.html

But somehow you seem to think it is OK that SF protect republicans from prosecution for murder?

Where is the justice where is the accountability?

At this stage I think you are either having a laugh. or psychotic?

Don't be sad. That's a lie.
    You're becoming a parody of yourself.
    You mentioned a younger relative you might have to keep an eye on and it reminded me of Kenny's nephew. Funny to me.
    I think you're a spin merchant and a liar.

Here you go...wittering on about SF having no respect for the police and the courts and you are showing you have none.
    If republicans are with-holding information then they should be charged with that.

Where have I shown no respect for the courts or police?

Blaze420 wrote: »
    The only people being disrespected are his family. Scumbags are scumbags and no amount of deflecting by you or how you feel about it is going to change that fact

I could say people using the murder and grief of the mother to score points are scumbags. I ain't deflecting sh*t comrade. I'm just not really interested :)

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    I am just explaining the facts, that is all.

So you think Ulster-Scots is as irrelevant as Irish?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

shesty wrote: »
    For anyone having doubts about the continued existence of the IRA...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/sinn-f%C3%A9in-vice-president-michelle-o-neill-targeted-by-dissident-plot-1.4170433?mode=amp

Myself, I don't care what SF say they will do.I will never be able to separate them from the IRA.It was a background to too many of my years growing up, and I don't even live up North.It is too recent for too many people, and giving them the benefit of the doubt is just a step too far.I don't have an allegiance to anyone else btw, and I believe all parties are very similar.But SF are something else entirely.

I was giving sf the benefit of the doubt and that they might actually do something good , but the chanting and up the ra upon election of some of there candidates has made me do a complete u turn alot of these people leave alot to be desired... you d take no notice of someone in a pub roaring it but I wouldn't class em as the most rational of people... let alone have them have a say in how the country is ran..the mask slipped a nice bit ! If it goes to the polls again I think it will be a completely different outcome

I can say people using the murder and grief of the mother to score points are scumbags. I ain't deflecting sh*t comrade. I'm just not really interested :)

Not the people who murdered her son then? That’s grand yeah? That’s all I need to know about you. Carry on

• Registered Users Posts: 69,207 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Where have I shown no respect for the courts or police?

You say that SF are hiding info on murders.

That's a huge criticism of the police. It is illegal to with-hold information or to pervert the course of justice. Has anyone been charged with this in SF in relation to Paul Quinn?

So you think Ulster-Scots is as irrelevant as Irish?

Don't be putting words in my mouth.

I have set out the history of both languages in Northern Ireland. It is clear to me that in both cases, albeit with different aspects, that their revival has been artificial and driven by the desire and wish not to be the other, to differentiate, to segregate, to emphasise difference. That isn't healthy.

Don't be sad. That's a lie.
    You're becoming a parody of yourself.
    You mentioned a younger relative you might have to keep an eye on and it reminded me of Kenny's nephew. Funny to me.
    I think you're a spin merchant and a liar.

I have merely commented on your posts obviously you have no real retort.
    So therefore it must be clear your argument is lost.

You are mad for accountability and justice however small the crime on the one hand.

Yet you shy away from calling for accountability for SF however large the crime.
    Even murder can be excused or hidden away from justice in your view.
    McCabe, Quinn and so on.

You have not explained to me how you justify such reasoning.
    But I am not a psychologist.

I am beginning to feel some pity for you, with your mental gymnastics.

Don't be putting words in my mouth.

I have set out the history of both languages in Northern Ireland. It is clear to me that in both cases, albeit with different aspects, that their revival has been artificial and driven by the desire and wish not to be the other, to differentiate, to segregate, to emphasise difference. That isn't healthy.

You do realise SF are an All Ireland party? And that they don't compartmentalise northern Ireland? And that their supporters see themselves as Irish and part of the people of the whole island?

That's a huge criticism of the police. It is illegal to with-hold information or to pervert the course of justice. Has anyone been charged with this in SF in relation to Paul Quinn?

I will tell you why it is likely no one will ever be.

1) Known SF supporter/ republican in the locality

2) The locals afraid or threatened not to inform the guards/psni

3) Silence on the matter from SF and no help from SF - gives tacit approval to the above -

Don't be silly.

You can't prove that people are with-holding information until you have the information that shows that.

It is clear that the reason more information on Paul Quinn's murder hasn't come out is because there are senior members of the republican movement who would be in trouble for the very reason you mention if the truth was out there.

Remember when Gerry Adams told one story to Spotlight about his knowledge of the abuse of his niece and a different story to the court. While we all knew that he had lied, he couldn't be charged with perjury because there was no way on knowing which version was untrue and it is not a crime to lie to a TV programme.

In this case, until the full truth comes out, nobody can be certain or prove that information is being withheld or was previously withheld. So you can be certain that the republican movement won't let the truth come out.

You do realise SF are an All Ireland party? And that they don't compartmentalise northern Ireland? And that their supporters see themselves as Irish and part of the people of the whole island?

But yet SF's record in NI is ignored.... on housing, health, soc welfare.
    Because the ROI new SF voters don't care!

You can't make it up!
    Nor did the ROI SF voter care about Brexit which effected the whole island of Ireland especially NI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Don't be silly.

You can't prove that people are with-holding information until you have the information that shows that.

It is clear that the reason more information on Paul Quinn's murder hasn't come out is because there are senior members of the republican movement who would be in trouble for the very reason you mention if the truth was out there.

Remember when Gerry Adams told one story to Spotlight about his knowledge of the abuse of his niece and a different story to the court. While we all knew that he had lied, he couldn't be charged with perjury because there was no way on knowing which version was untrue and it is not a crime to lie to a TV programme.

In this case, until the full truth comes out, nobody can be certain or prove that information is being withheld or was previously withheld. So you can be certain that the republican movement won't let the truth come out.

Jeez blanch you should know that everything you quoted there is 'just hearsay'.

You can't make it up!
    Nor did the ROI SF voter care about Brexit which effected the whole island of Ireland especially NI.

The electorate didn’t give a **** about what they were doing besides wagging the finger at FG. They will regret that in the next 6 months when they see the calibre of politician they have elected to run this country and economy - quote me

I will tell you why it is likely no one will ever be.

1) Known SF supporter/ republican in the locality

2) The locals afraid or threatened not to inform the guards/psni

3) Silence on the matter from SF and no help from SF - gives tacit approval to the above -

And yet this 'fearful' community elects a Shinner back, every time. Did you ever pause to wonder about that? Why these 'community oppressors' keep getting chosen in the secrecy of the ballot box?

You can't make it up!

Who is ignoring it? Anyone with a brain can see the situations are not comparable.

Nobody cared about Brexit...1% said it was an issue.

Who is ignoring it? Anyone with a brain can see the situations are not comparable.

Why are the situations not comparable? They made a balls of those issues in set of counties much smaller than they will govern now if they get in - what do you think will be the outcome down here?

And I agree, nobody cares about Brexit. A major misstep in the government campaign

And what has that got to do with the deaths of the Antrim, Sperrin, Armagh and Derry sub-dialects of Irish?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulster_Irish

The Eastern dialect of Ulster Irish died out in the six counties, Irish was then revived in Northern Ireland through the plantation of Donegal Irish into the population.

My point is that there was a dialect of Irish native to Northern Ireland, it died out and was revived artificially in the 1970s through the introduction of a different dialect. In the same way, there was a dialect of Ulster-Scots native to Northern Ireland, it died out (though some dispute this) and was revived artificially in the 1990s.

The only thing that separates the two are time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I don't support SF.

I didn't vote for SF.

But I have to admit that depending on the market to provide housing is not, and will not, work.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

So Brexit has gone away just like the RA ?

Fecking great world we live in.
    Now maybe if I close my eyes real tight and say the magic words then my fooking mortgage will go away. :D

I am not allowed discuss …

Again man of straw Francie, and nitpicking on a turn of phrase.

I realise it was 1% 99% of ROI SF voters must have half a brain so by that logic?

You must be in the top 1%?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Dear oh dear, the Harrisites won't like this.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/ibec-says-sinn-f%C3%A9in-not-mad-when-it-comes-to-the-economy-1.4168977?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fbusiness%2Feconomy%2Fibec-says-sinn-f%25C3%25A9in-not-mad-when-it-comes-to-the-economy-1.4168977

Brian Hayes, the current head of IBEC, who was formerly an FG politician and no fan of SF to put it midly, has acknowledged that IBEC will have no problem working with SF.

Advertisement