Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have we come to

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Blaze420 wrote: »
    I never said they were because I remember what they did in 2008. However I would still take them over the up the ra party and that’s a ****ing terrible thing to say. sF are not mature enough to run a country or economy and we will all pay for it

Ah we differ there. I'll take SF, SD, PBP and I4C over FF or FG, (same folk IMO).
    It just seems like the weight of criticism of SF re the election is very heavily weighted, considering the other player is FF. But hey, what evs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Ah we differ there. I'll take SF, SD, PBP and I4C over FF or FG, (same folk IMO).
    It just seems like the weight of criticism of SF re the election is very heavily weighted, considering the other player is FF. But hey, what evs.

Sf - free **** for everyone
    SD - free **** for everyone and you can pretend to be whatever you want without any dissenting opinions or voices
    PBP - free **** for everyone and then more free **** because **** you if you work

Yep that sounds like a ****ing dream team to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Dear oh dear, the Harrisites won't like this.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/ibec-says-sinn-f%C3%A9in-not-mad-when-it-comes-to-the-economy-1.4168977?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fbusiness%2Feconomy%2Fibec-says-sinn-f%25C3%25A9in-not-mad-when-it-comes-to-the-economy-1.4168977

Brian Hayes, the current head of IBEC, who was formerly an FG politician and no fan of SF to put it midly, has acknowledged that IBEC will have no problem working with SF.

He was on Newstalk with Ivan Yates slating SFs manifesto, particularly their ideas about housing and LPT.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

I want to see FF/FG/Labour coalition. Some stability for 5 years, hopefully some tax cuts. And yes we'd get a good bit of social housing built.

Keep the Shinners out at all costs. Investment Funds are already removing their money from Irish property stocks on the mere suggestion they get into power. That will eventually impact on the ground. Could be a full blown recession if they do get in.

Also bear in mind at the next election, FF and FG will run fewer candidates. This will get them more seats.

SD - free **** for everyone and you can pretend to be whatever you want without any dissenting opinions or voices
    PBP - free **** for everyone and then more free **** because **** you if you work

I think you've been grossly misinformed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I want to see FF/FG/Labour coalition. Some stability for 5 years, hopefully some tax cuts. And yes we'd get a good bit of social housing built.

Keep the Shinners out at all costs. Investment Funds are already removing their money from Irish property stocks on the mere suggestion they get into power. That will eventually impact on the ground. Could be a full blown recession if they do get in.

Also bear in mind at the next election, FF and FG will run fewer candidates. This will get them more seats.

I suspect SF would also be happy to be the main party of opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

That is for the police to decide, not you.

The IMC know who these people are as they ruled out the IRA as an organisation being involved.

Were the IMC in the barn that night too?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Good, certainly better than them having ministerial power.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,207 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    Were the IMC in the barn that night too?

A cynical wee dig to try and hide your blushes?

Everyone knows who was in the barn blanch, the community, the PSNI, The Gardai, The MP who named them in parliament and the local political parties.

They ALL also know the details and some of those details are in the file sent by the Gardai to Bertie Ahern.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Imagine being this angry about political parties wanting to help people who are less well off instead of funneling more money to the already wealthy.

• Advertisement

Imagine being this angry about political parties wanting to help people who are less well off instead of funneling more money to the already wealthy.

That’s exactly what annoys me - less well off my ****ing bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Not a chance.
    After all the talk in the last 2 days?
    Mary Lou saying she might well be Taoiseach?
    All the talk of the electorate rejecting FFG.

You really think they are going to sit back and be the opposition?
    Can't see that happening at all.
    The electorate wouldn't be happy with them if they did. Why give a party a massive mandate if they are just going to shout from the terraces again?

They don't see hard squeezed working poor, just lazy spongers. That way the government don't need to address it. Worked out well for Sinn Fein and Fianna Fail.
    They are however concerned about the squeezed middle because that's them, (they work hard earn everything they get and so on but get no breaks and feel hard done by) and they don't see the connection of bad management by government.

That’s exactly what annoys me - less well off my ****ing bollix.

Young working people can't afford childcare and have little prospect of owning their own home under FG. A decade ago, young people had to emigrate thanks to FF. But no, the economy is booming and everything is fine. Let's keep our heads in the sand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

No problem with it if their numbers took account for basic economics and added up.

We're seeing now how even their supporters know it is all talk and with many wanting to run away from a chance to govern

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

I'd say SF wouldn't really mind that scenario, imagine 3 (for that's all they'd really get) years sitting as the opposition, steadily growing and building, highlighting every govt crisis and the cronyism oooh especially that, social media loves a bit of backhandering and backslapping, there's a strong chance they'd gain an overall majority, imagine that!

Personally I'd prefer them in govt with another (strong) party, they's keep each other honest and might actually open peoples eyes as to how much of a change they could really make - ie not all that much.

Young working people can't afford childcare and have little prospect of owning their own home under FG. A decade ago, young people had to emigrate thanks to FF. But no, the economy is booming and everything is fine. Let's keep our heads in the sand.

Yeah but in that case spend smarter or get a better paid job, you talk as if the problems facing young adults the past 20 years are some kind of revelation in 2020. Personal adult responsibility means you find a way to handle the issue in front of you - Irish adult responsibility seems to mean you shrug your shoulders, give up and blame the government for the position you are in.

Yeah but in that case spend smarter or get a better paid job, you talk as if the problems facing young adults the past 20 years are some kind of revelation in 2020. Personal adult responsibility means you find a way to handle the issue in front of you - Irish adult responsibility seems to mean you shrug your shoulders, give up and blame the government for the position you are in.

So yourself and other frontiersmen will do well with or without FF or SF in government. Grand so.
    Must be great being a millionaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

Sorry but NO - property prices are, once again, forcing young people (with well paid jobs) off the property ladder, just the same as the 'bubble' times, it's very obvious FF/FG are happy to repeat the mistakes. It's entirely reasonable to expect your government to help you out/protect your interests especially when you've followed the 'proper' path - well educated, good job etc etc.

I'm not in favor of handouts but intervention, yes.

So yourself and other frontiersmen will do well with or without FF or SF in government. Grand so.

Yeah I’m a millionaire alright - just about manage to pay my rent, keep the lights on and feed myself for the month. Am I whinging about it or blaming the government? Nope because Im a logical adult who’s getting on with what needs to be done, not crying my ****ing eyes out about the gubbermint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

*drops monocle* dirty peasants.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

machaseh wrote: »
    Depends entirely on whether they even make it into government at all, and when they do it depends on who they will be in government with.

I wouldn't see FF+SF (plus any of the left wing parties) as a very stable coalition. There will probably not be a call for a border poll at that stage, I wouldn't think FF would allow it.

SF + all of the left parties + almost all TDs is probably also just not really an achievable goal.

Useful reply, albeit ignoring all my questions.

Want to try again?
    Let's say they have full run of the government and get all their manifesto items through... How do they work?
    How are they paid for?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

bladespin wrote: »
    I'd say SF wouldn't really mind that scenario, imagine 3 (for that's all they'd really get) years sitting as the opposition, steadily growing and building, highlighting every govt crisis and the cronyism oooh especially that, social media loves a bit of backhandering and backslapping, there's a strong chance they'd gain an overall majority, imagine that!

Personally I'd prefer them in govt with another (strong) party, they's keep each other honest and might actually open peoples eyes as to how much of a change they could really make - ie not all that much.

Why 3 years? If they're going in together, they know they can't pull it down until they've had the longest time possible to act on housing and health or they'll be punished.

Sure things could get worse but it is not good for SF to basically have a perfect storm here and not end up in government and they mightn't get another chance in the near term. Whoever goes in should have money to spend for the next few years to improve things and if there is a likely economic downturn the next election will be about tough choices, SF wanting to employers and tax multinationals wont play well with those who lent them their vote and are worried about their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Yeah I’m a millionaire alright - just about manage to pay my rent, keep the lights on and feed myself for the month. Am I whinging about it or blaming the government? Nope because Im a logical adult who’s getting on with what needs to be done, not crying my ****ing eyes out about the gubbermint

No offense but i suggest you do some reading into property in Ireland and the market manipulation that has been on-going for the past ten years.

You shouldn't have to just make do on a decent income and why your not angry about it is beyond me.

Any person working a full time job should be able to provide for themselves.

Yeah, better to blame those worse off than you instead. It's easier to punch down after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Allinall

Calhoun wrote: »
    No offense but i suggest you do some reading into property in Ireland and the market manipulation that has been on-going for the past ten years.

You shouldn't have to just make do on a decent income and why your not angry about it is beyond me.

I haven’t seen any market manipulation in the last 10 years.

Any examples?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Explain to me why your so called wealthy people will continue to bother their arses to work hard only to have even more than 50% of their salaries taken away from them.

Btw, you do realise that 50% of a big salary is more money into the coffers than 27% of s smaller salary, right? Just confirming

Calhoun wrote: »

There’s only 2 things certain in life - death & taxes. This dream of rolling in the cash and owning a house without a care in the world is what the euro millions is for. Reality is hard.

• Advertisement

Grand so. Why do you care if other tax payers need a hand? Does not effect you at all seemingly.

Advertisement