Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have we come to

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Why?

They might fail on their promises. But if FG did what they said they did - put oversight and regulations in place, and boot the regulators up the proverbial- then nobody should be able to crash the country.

What will happen is just another government has failed. Proceed to polling booth, elect a new one, and carry on.

No?

What else can happen, if the previous government did it's job...and did what it promised to do?

Kenny was the real historic political waster. Varadkar was just the lad in on experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,185 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

How will you judge SF when they mess up?

Will you hold them to the same contempt as FF or FG?

I actually don't hold FF and FG in contempt, our local FG TD is a family friend.

I will judge SF if they fail to do what I want them to do. Begin creating a fairer society.

If they do a Labour or Green make yourself comfy in the seats stunt, they can be assured of no vote from me next time out.

How will you judge SF when they mess up?

Will you hold them to the same contempt as FF or FG?

For me, if they act like FF/FG they'll get the same amount of hugs. Zero hugs.
    If they try but make a balls, I'll not be running out to keep them in but I won't put them at the FF/FG level.

Kenny was the real historic political waster. Varadkar was just the lad in on experience.

Nobody should be ever able to get away with crshing the country Matt, if FG did their job.
    The regulators were asleep on the job and the opposition ignored the warnings and actually asked FF for more spending before it all went pearshaped in 2008.
    FG claimed that would not happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Bill 2.0 wrote: »
    It's only about 1 in 5 people that rent in this country and that includes people paying a pittance of rent for social housing.

The media told you housing was a huge issue and you believeed it hook, line and sinker.

But those 1/5 have families, friends and relatives and,
    'You don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows'

• Advertisement

Fann Linn wrote: »
    But those 1/5 have families, friends and relatives and,
    'You don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows'

The 1 in 5 figure is from 2016, the figure in 2006 was 1 in 10. Those figures are for households not individual people.

Be interesting to see what the actual figures for 2020 are

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

holyhead wrote: »
    What boggles my mind is the hold on power that Adams/McGuinness had on the leadership of SF for so long. I can't recall anyone sticking their head above the parapet to replace either. Obviously given the stunning election result here in the republic I don't expect Mary Lou to be challenged anytime soon. But it will be interesting to see if she is eventually challenged. Not a lot is known about how SF operate. What influence does Adams have in the party now? Is Mary Lou an actual leader or a more acceptable front for Adams?

While SF understandably bask in electoral glory they will be under the spotlight like never before.

In the history of Sinn Fein there never been a leadership contest. All their leaders have been voted in by the membership but in the same way north Korea votes in Kim.

There's someting distinctly wrong with a political party that discourages open challenges for the leadership.
    It's almost as if the party is run by an army...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Irrelevant nonsense, FG made a promise and renaged but yet some supporters of FG feel others have to be held to a higher standard. You couldn't make it up.

Oh so you think that being in a minority government is 'irrelevant' do you?
    Tell me how does one go into a minority government and enact their entire manifesto while being supported on this by other parties.

I am sure SF will be very interested in your theory here. :D

I will look forward to the entire SF manifesto being enacted once they get into government with their 37 seats.
    Ah bless! You will learn! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

So should the Irish have written a strongly worded letter to the British state in 1918 as opposed to taking up arms against them? Bearing in mind that the War of Independence only came about after repeated attempts to solve the home rule issue through the legislative process were blocked for one reason or another by the British government?

Scotland got the choice of a referendum to decide if they wanted independence without firing a single shot.

blanch152 wrote: »
    I must say that I am enjoying the desperate spinning from Sinn Fein. They know that their tax policies would spook the markets and have no chance of raising the revenue promised and they also know that there was a big hole anyway in their numbers. They never expected to be in this position and the challenge of actual delivery is something that they didn't expect to face. It is one thing for Eoin O'Broin to sit in a tv studio and explain how he will do things differently, it is another to actually do it.

I was very interested in that chap from Finance last night who explained that the Sinn Fein idea of building 100,000 homes on State land doesn't work if there isn't enough State land.

So Sinn Fein are trying to spin now that FF and FG should play their part. Posters on here who have spent years shouting and screaming that "FFG" as they call it should be thrown out, are desperately saying that they have to step up. It is laughable and pathetic.

Senior hurling now lads!!

I agree, SF talking to SOL-PBP and Greens before talking to FF is stupid.
    PBP cannnot even agree with themselves, there are split between not two but 3 parties, PBP, Solidarity and Rise. How in goods name can they agree to a programe for government with SF, the SD's and the Greens, never mind FF.

Lunatic stuff.

The people of Ireland will soon see who the left in Ireland really operates.

• Advertisement

Nobody should be ever able to get away with crshing the country Matt, if FG did their job.
    The regulators were asleep on the job and the opposition ignored the warnings and actually asked FF for more spending before it all went pearshaped in 2008.
    FG claimed that would not happen again.

Well FG got in on 'no more quangos, no more cronyism, change the way we do business' and did the opposite. Then you've them pushing onward with policy that created crises and made other problems worse.
    The fact that the economy is doing well and we've high employment shows their ideas do not work for the country as the crises worsen, but they kept going.

Scotland got the choice of a referendum to decide if they wanted independence without firing a single shot.

Who was beaten off the streets in Scotland when they put their noses up for equal treatment? Or endured decades of being treated as dirt and second class citizens?

Sad, uneducated, cheap and nonsense point.

If you'd lived my father's life (an absolute pacifist) you'd have different point of view.

Well FG got in on 'no more quangos, no more cronyism, change the way we do business' and did the opposite. Then you've them pushing onward with policy that created crises and made other problems worse.
    The fact that the economy is doing well and we've high employment shows their ideas do not work for the country but they kept going.

And according to the Daily Mail ( I know..caution required) tomorrow they are meeting with FF and the Greens and planning to build build build. :):)

While Leo is trying to keep the attention on FG by huffing.

Who was beaten off the streets in Scotland when they put their noses up for equal treatment? Or endured decades of being treated as dirt and second class citizens?

Sad, uneducated, cheap and nonsense point.

If you'd lived my father's life (an absolute pacifist) you'd have different point of view.

Still does not give one right to murder women and children Francie.
    Whatabout away regardless.

markodaly wrote: »
    Still does not give one right to murder women and children Francie.
    Whatabout away regardless.

No it doesn't. And nobody said any of it was right.

But do any of you ever stop to actually think what it was like to be a second class citizen (at best) and treated like a dog because of your religion?Your countrymen and women took it for 80 odd years and when they couldn't take it anymore and peacefully protested they were beaten off the streets and then shot down in those streets.

The lid came off, as even Harold Wilson knew it would. There isn't a conflict/war in the world that didn't escalate from that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Bill 2.0

But do any of you ever stop to actually think what it was like to be a second class citizen (at best) and treated like a dog because of your religion?Your countrymen and women took it for 80 odd years and when they couldn't take it anymore and peacefully protested they were beaten off the streets and then shot down in those streets.

The lid came off, as even Harold Wilson knew it would. There isn't a conflict/war in the world that didn't escalate from that point.

They weren't/aren't our countrymen. Northern Ireland is a seperate country that is part of the UK.

Get the ****ing train or bus down to Ireland if you want to be Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭quokula

The fact that the economy is doing well and we've high employment shows their ideas do not work for the country but they kept going.

Most people would take a strong economy and high employment as signs that their ideas do work?

But ...

You were doing well up to the word 'But'.

When you write the word 'but', you are making excuses.

'I'm not racist but...' :rolleyes:

quokula wrote: »
    Most people would take a strong economy and high employment as signs that their ideas do work?

.2% of the population living in state-funded hotel rooms waiting for their free forever homes and things costing money in one of the most wealthy countries in the world is apparently the worst thing ever.

We need more free stuff that "de rich" are going to pay for!

They weren't/aren't our countrymen. Northern Ireland is a seperate country that is part of the UK.

Get the ****ing train or bus down to Ireland if you want to be Irish.

I'm sure there are people who will accept payment for giving you a little bit of attention. ;)

• Advertisement

You were doing well up to the word 'But'.

When you write the word 'but', you are making excuses.

'I'm not racist but...' :rolleyes:

Easy and tritely said for somebody residing comfortably in state that was born because people made blood sacrifices. 'I'm alright jackism' of the highest order.

I despise that hypocrisy.

Easy and tritely said for somebody residing comfortably in state that was born because people made blood sacrifices. 'I'm alright jackism' of the highest order.

I despise that hypocrisy.

You dont know anything about my personal circumstances firstly.

And it may be news to you Francie, but not every Catholic or Nationalist in the north joined an illegal paramilitary organisation that went on to kill scores of innocent women, children and babies.
    In fact the vast vast vast majority didn't.

John Hume grew up on the bogside and didnt order anyone to be murdered.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

It's only about 1 in 5 people that rent in this country and that includes people paying a pittance of rent for social housing.

The media told you housing was a huge issue and you believeed it hook, line and sinker.

How many adults are trapped at home though , who would like to buy or rent ?

You dont know anything about my personal circumstances firstly.

And it may be news to you Francie, but not every Catholic or Nationalist in the north joined an illegal paramilitary organisation that went on to kill scores of innocent women, children and babies.
    In fact the vast vast vast majority didn't.

John Hume grew up on the bogside and didnt order anyone to be murdered.

Hume was as much a part of the reason the lid came off as he was a part of the solution.
    The tragedy is that it took 40 years and over 3000 deaths to find a way to put the lid back on.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    How many adults are trapped at home though , who would like to buy or rent ?

I don't know. Why don't you tell me?

Or should we just base political policy on some speculative number of people maybe still living with their parents?

It's almost as if the "crises" facing our country straight up don't exist outside of media reports.

Hume was as much a part of the reason the lid came off ..

Astonshing revisionism there Francie, even from you.

Hume didnt murder or order the murder of anyone. The lid came off because some men wanted to play soldier for 'Ireland's Freedom'.

a way to put the lid back on.

In a stunning turn of events, the way to put the lid back on was to sit around a table and talk to each other like normal human beings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Astonshing revisionism there Francie, even from you.

Hume didnt murder or order the murder of anyone. The lid came off because some men wanted to play soldier for 'Ireland's Freedom'.

It's amazing how you equate fighting back as "playing soldier" you do realize what was happening at the time to Catholics ?

They didn't just wake up one morning and go "dya know what paddy we LL go bomb some children and Innocents for the laugh" I believe alot of the bombings came with warnings aswell , again let's remember why these events were happening in the first place.

Innocents die in every conflict alot of the time not on purpose, just ask the UK and the us as they butcher there way thru the middle East , Trump doing assassinations like something straight outta call of duty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

In a stunning turn of events, the way to put the lid back on was to sit around a table and talk to each other like normal human beings.

Took alot for some of them to be considered human , and to even get a chance to sit at the table "No Irish no dogs no blacks" signs and what not

• Advertisement

Cupatae wrote: »
    Trump doing assassinations like something straight outta call of duty.

You kill the enemies of your state, it's a fairly basic concept.

In the NI context the enemies of the state were the dip****s who were willing to murder people because they wanted to be Irish whilst living in Northern Ireland, which is part of the UK.

They could have easily left to go live in Ireland but they decided to murder people instead and NI is still part of the UK despite their "armed struggle".

Advertisement