Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have we come to

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

i think a lot of the problem is the expectations millenials have. They seem to have this entitlement to live in a nice apartment in the centre of the city, probably because they grew up watching shows like Friends. Why should they? If others have more money and want to live there, they will do so. The rent reflects aggregate demand and aggregate supply for living in that area. I read that Niamh Horan in the independent complain about the cost of rent, turns out she's living in Grand Canal Dock! Why "must" a journalist live in one of the most expensive parts of town?

If i was a young millennial (and i'm in my 30's so i'm not that old), i would rent a room out in Kildare at 600 per month rather than try to pay 1800 per month for an apartment in the city centre. Save diligently the difference, month after month until i have my deposit. Then, buying in the city is relatively cheap compared to renting, there are plenty of apartments around for 250k to 350k. Two people earning the average wage of 40k could buy an apartment in Dublin city quite easily. But it requires discipline, saving. The millennials want a sugar daddy taxpayer to take care of them. That mentality needs to change!

Plenty of apartments a-****in-partments for 250k to 350 k and you don't see the problem ? Are you sure you aren't entitled ? Or got handed money that you think these goals realistic , to put that in perspective for 350k+ you are hitting mansion territory most places else in the country..

The prices are mad but the people that see no problem with em are madder

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

600 a month is allot of money, for allot of people in good jobs that's half their monthly wage.

If €600 per month is half their monthly wages, they're not in good jobs...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Cupatae wrote: »
    Plenty of apartments a-****in-partments for 250k to 350 k and you don't see the problem ? Are you sure you aren't entitled ? Or got handed money that you think these goals realistic , to put that in perspective for 350k+ you are hitting mansion territory most places else in the country..

The prices are mad but the people that see no problem with em are madder

350k is now the average cost of small houses outside Dublin in Commuter towns.
    The high cost of Dublin has increased the cost of all areas around Dublin.

Cheaper to buy homes are mostly in the west and midlands where there are no jobs.

Amirani wrote: »
    If €600 per month is half their monthly wages, they're not in good jobs...

When I say 'good job' I mean jobs that require a higher level of education, many of which pay minimum wage. Which brings me back to my original point of how educated working people cant afford to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I dont think they should be living in the city center at all, I think that people should be able to get by if theyre working, regardless of where theyre living. Im not suggesting Dublin city center should be cheap either but currently, its more expensive than London and Paris, Dublin hardly has much going for it when compared to other European cities yet its one of the most expensive places in Europe, why?

One main reason why so many people are desperate to live in Dublin is because thats where the jobs are and public transport is ridiculously expensive and unreliable with trains and buses running once an hour from commuter towns into Dublin city and often theyre late or sometimes dont show up all.
    Also, people dont like having to travel 2 or 3 hours each way to work everyday.

You seem to be under the impression that people dont move into commuter towns and areas around Dublin, they do, and these are the problems theyre faced with. Just to add, its not just Dublin where cost of rent have sky rocketed, its country wide. 10 years I ago I was living in a flat share paying 250 for a room in a nice enough 2 bed apartment in a small town, it cost 550 a month for the entire apartment. That room, in that same apartment would now cost me 600 euro a month. That is insane and shouldnt be justified and working people shouldnt be expected to pay it. This is why working people in their 30's are living with their parents and will never own a home.

I focus on minimum wage because its what allot of people who are working have to live off. If everything is priced just in reach for middle classes, where does that leave everyone else? We have created a society of working poor, working homeless, homeless families and children. The middle class cant see past the nose on their face, they look down on working class people and go on as if theyre acting as though theyre entitled. How can they ever get ahead when everything is against them?
    We now have an entire generation of adults with very little future prospects and will be either renting till their elderly or will remain living with their parents unable to start an adult, independent life for themselves and when they try to fight for a better future theyre shouted down by middle class people and told that theyre entitled. What is anyone earning below 40,000 supposed to do? Which is far from minimum wage.

I think you make some good points and the issues you raised need to be thought about and solved but SF are not the solution.

• Advertisement

I think you make some good points and the issues you raised need to be thought about and solved but SF are not the solution.

Theyre the only option as far as im concerned. I dont always agree with them, particularly with their such strong focus on a united Ireland and their manifesto is far fetched without a doubt but FF and FG are not the way to go.
    All they care about is making the economy look good and running the country like it's a business, lining their pockets and the pockets of other rich people while we suffer for it.
    Another party has to be given the chance and Sinn fein are the only ones willing to take it on and the only ones who actually seem to be listening to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whodafunk

I have serious grave concerns over SF taking over power. I understand people wanted change I get that but feel this was more a protest vote.

whodafunk wrote: »
    I have serious grave concerns over SF taking over power. I understand people wanted change I get that but feel this was more a protest vote.

It's not a protest vote.

I remember years ago when the crash happened my dad asked my granny, who was in her 80's at the time, why everyone keeps voting in these same parties. My granny said that she voted for them and when my dad asked her why, she said she voted for them because thats who she's always voted for . That is the only reason why those parties keep getting voted in, its basically tradition. They have offered nothing to any normal person in this country, they have put us in a terrible homeless crisis, our minimum wage is well below the living standard, our public healthy system is so bad its actually terrifying. FF and FG dont care about normal working people. They provide enough standard of living to keep the middle class happy enough to keep voting them in while they continue running this country like its a business for them to profit off.

Dont patronise younger voters by suggesting their voting out of spite, theyre smarter than you give them credit for and they have their own good reasons for voting Sinn fein.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Bowie wrote: »
    Social and affordable builds. Not build to lease/rent or redecorating those already there. Read the article. FG tended to included every build by everyone and try claim it as some 'we' numbers.

SF are promising 10k per year for the next 10 years.
    FG are promising 12.5k per year for ever.

https://www.sinnfein.ie/housing
    https://www.finegael.ie/our-policies/a-housing-system-with-the-citizen-at-the-centre/

When I say 'good job' I mean jobs that require a higher level of education, many of which pay minimum wage. Which brings me back to my original point of how educated working people cant afford to live.

They aren't even that cheap in the west either you d still be aiming for 150-250k for something decent, it's crazyness , and sad really when you think about it people are boxed into living at home with a very steep up hill battle to get there own home,

Not everyone lives in Dublin either, and the jobs they are saying aren't very good , are the majority of jobs

But even if someone manages to get the house get the child care afford the car if by some miracle they are able to do that... They have little to no room to even enjoy life .

I can't wait to hear the retort of people..."they should get better jobs " please point out said jobs that the majority can get!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Tony EH wrote: »
    We have, frankly, ridiculous situations facing far too many people in this country, with regards to basic living requirements. A modest house will set you back a criminal amount of money that hocks you into debt until you're an OAP and the alternative is extortionate rents by a cartel of private landlords who can up the rent price every 12 months if they wish. We may have so called "full employment", but jobs (many of which are mickey mouse) are transitory these days and simply cannot be counted on. You can, literally, be in work one month and out the next on the whim of the employer. And all the while you can watch granny die on a trolley in A+E.

Something needs to change. We need to move away from this idea that there's "endless" growth, constantly pushing a situation until it blows and we all get thrown back to square one. We cannot keep going around and around like this.

Endless growth is what the capitalist western world is based on.
    And it is the very reason that the left wing, sinn fein very much included, gives why we should import millions of people into Europe.
    Or are people now refuting the line "we need them to pay for our pensions".
    :rolleyes:
    Tony EH wrote: »
    I don't think this is the case. The electorate want stability, not boom and bust, which doesn't benefit the vast majority of them. The electorate want to be able to plan their lives, which a lot cannot do because their futures are so grim at the moment. A lot of them won't own their own home, will be in a constant state of flux in in private renting, will lose their job(s) at some point and ultimately be beholden to a situation that's absolutely out of their control.

People I've talked to are sick of this. They don't want this merry go round of boom and bust any more. It doesn't help them.

FFS we don't have a merry go round of boom and bust.
    Ireland didn't have a bloody boom until the 90s and then it was tech based.
    There was slight downturn for tech based people due to dotcom bubble burst and then boom resumed in earnest into bubble from 2002 onwards to 2007/2008.

We don't have boom again, we had a recovery of sorts.
    Hell it is argued almost every other day by likes of sinn fein about how the good times aren't shared.
    Dublin has boomed for some, but it definitely hasn't for those at bottom of property ladder or those renting.
    And it hasn't really boomed for most of the country as has been evidenced by all the farmer protests.

Lack of housing, high accommodation demand leading to high prices does not equate to a boom.
    Hopefully FF/FG/Greens will listen to the people and sort out housing and health. Then everyone will be happy. Problem solved.

AHH FFS not this simplistic view about solving health.
    No one can sort out health unless they have the backing of all the people in this country.

And do know what that entails ?
    It means you and everyone else, the left leaning parties, the centre parties, the fooking lot, allow the government take on the unions in the health service, take on the representative bodies and cut the excess numbers, cut the perks, fire the non performing staff and fire people for incompetence.

If FG in the morning said we are firing 10,000 admin staff and 2,000 managers which political parties would be the first out of the box wailing about what awful stuff they were doing.

Hell the FG minister would be lynched by his own back benchers before PBP, sinn fein or the SDs got their hands on him.

The civil servants in Dept of health will never want to take on their fellow public servants because they could be next in the firing line.

The problem in the health system are the people employed within it.

Note I didn't say working in it.:(

And yes we know that there are lots of hardworking, especially front line, staff.
    But by christ there are a lot of lazy useless fooks, the "it's not my job" types.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

And to think I was laughing at the brits and the yanks for what they did in 2016, we have joined them now in ludicrous voting.

And to think I was laughing at the brits and the yanks for what they did in 2016, we have joined them now in ludicrous voting.

Only the difference is the UK and US voted for hard right wing governments. Ireland is gone the complete opposite by majority of people under 40 voting left.

How is voting Sinn fein ludicrous but voting for the same two parties that destroyed the country over and over again in anyway sane or logical?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

There is huge amount of comment on all these threads about our housing problems.
    And loads of promises that sinn fein would do something more to solve it.

I have been chasing a certain shinner around here to elaborate and their one comment has been that the Austrians can do it.

Except of course they didn't point out that Austrians build apartments in sometimes highrises for social and affordable housing.

And that leads me to point that a lot of Irish people need to start copping on that the days are gone when they can buy a house in or near city centres, especially Dublin.
    Authorities, planners and politicians are going to have to start building upwards for accommodation and people that want to live in city centres are going to have to accept that they will live in apartments.

A lot of people think that they should be able to buy where their parents bought or somewhere similar, but they need to realise Ireland is a much changed place from the time their parents bought.
    Their parents were able to buy because they were working in a country that was an economic backwater and the population was a hell of a lot less.
    The number of people with good well paying jobs back in the 70s or 80s in Ireland was not large.
    Hell the number of people with any job was much less.
    Nowadays thanks to our much improved economy the numbers competing for the limited supply is much bigger.
    Hence the old argument about nowadays Gardai, nurses and teachers not being able to buy like their predecessors.
    Back in the old days they weren't competing against scores of software engineers, marketing types, service delivery managers, accountants, business analysts, etc.

And yes we need public built and controlled housing.
    The thatcherite let the market provide it simply does not work and offers no long term guarantee.
    Speaking of which long term rentals need to become the norm, not the year long lease cr**.

Authorities, planners and politicians are going to have to seriously plan the development of other hubs outside of Dublin.

These mean long term fooking planning which is something we as a state are fooking terrible at.

And when we do decide to build housing it should have services built before the accommodation is built.
    Other countries manage to do it and it is fooking time we started doing it rather than adding schools, medical centres, community centres, parks, playgorunds, etc after the fact.

No more fooking sweet deals for developers where they stick up houses/apartments and leave a waste land around it.

Oh and total revamp of our building regulatory authorities.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

How is voting Sinn fein ludicrous but voting for the same two parties that destroyed the country over and over again in anyway sane or logical?

But using the same logic, those same two parties created one of the richest, progressive and equal countries on earth. SF can make no such claims.

And the most recent "destruction of the country" was caused in part by FF following the populist policies of narrowing the tax net and over inflating the construction sector among other things. You might want to check the SF manifesto and see if there are any similarities with those policies.

The Central Bank actually just released a report saying that basically the economy has now reached peak output. If we start borrowing billions to build an extra 25,000 homes a year (which is an 100% increase) what do you think will be the outcome? The nice term is an "economic correction".

jmayo wrote: »
    There is huge amount of comment on all these threads about our housing problems.
    And loads of promises that sinn fein would do something more to solve it.

I have been chasing a certain shinner around here to elaborate and their one comment has been that the Austrians can do it.

Except of course they didn't point out that Austrians build apartments in sometimes highrises for social and affordable housing.

And that leads me to point that a lot of Irish people need to start copping on that the days are gone when they can buy a house in or near city centres, especially Dublin.
    Authorities, planners and politicians are going to have to start building upwards for accommodation and people that want to live in city centres are going to have to accept that they will live in apartments.

A lot of people think that they should be able to buy where their parents bought or somewhere similar, but they need to realise Ireland is a much changed place from the time their parents bought.
    Their parents were able to buy because they were working in a country that was an economic backwater and the population was a hell of a lot less.
    The number of people with good well paying jobs back in the 70s or 80s in Ireland was not large.
    Nowadays thanks to our much improved economy the numbers competing for the limited supply is much bigger.
    Hence the old argument about nowadays Gardai, nurses and teachers not being able to buy like their predecessors.
    Back in the old days they weren't competing against scores of software engineers, marketing types, service delivery managers, accountants, business analysts, etc.

Authorities, planners and politicians are going to have to seriously plan the development of other hubs outside of Dublin.

These mean long term fooking planning which is something we as a state are fooking terrible at.

And when we do decide to build housing it should have services built before the accommodation is built.
    Other countries manage to do it and it is fooking time we started doing it rather than adding schools, medical centres, community centres, parks, playgorunds, etc after the fact.

No more fooking sweet deals for developers where they stick up houses/apartments and leave a waste land around it.

Oh and total revamp of our building regulatory authorities.

Its not just Dublin though, it's everywhere. Unless people are coupled up and both earning over 40,000 or have parents able to fund them, they will not stand a chance of owning a house, whether that be in Dublin or Mullingar.
    The homeless crisis is all over Ireland, not just Dublin and the amount of houses and apartments isnt the only issue, its the cost of them that causing the biggest problems.
    There is a block of apartments built in the last 5 years in my small town where a chunk of them are vacant because the rent on them is so high. Theyre not even that nice, they were thrown up, theyre tiny inside and most only have one or two tiny bedrooms with a connected kitchen/living area and are priced at 1500 a month. Who has that kind of money in a small town where there are no jobs? :confused:

The government can afford to spend billions building hotels and the most expensive hospital in Europe - all the while they have a recruitment ban on hospital staff during a health care crisis and they cant pay nurses a livable wage.

When will people cop on and realise that FF and FG dont care about providing anything in this country. They will keep pumping into the economy at the expense of everyone else.
    But round and round we go, they'll continue to get voted in.

But using the same logic, those same two parties created one of the richest, progressive and equal countries on earth. SF can make no such claims.

And the most recent "destruction of the country" was caused in part by FF following the populist policies of narrowing the tax net and over inflating the construction sector among other things. You might want to check the SF manifesto and see if there are any similarities with those policies.

The Central Bank actually just released a report saying that basically the economy has now reached peak output. If we start borrowing billions to build an extra 25,000 homes a year (which is an 100% increase) what do you think will be the outcome? The nice term is an "economic correction".

So on paper we look great while in reality we have a ridiculous public transport system, a shortage of hospital staff and a recruitment ban and nurses employed cant afford to keep themselves afloat while working 48 hour shifts.
    Goverment then goes ahead and builds the most expensive hospital in Europe - again this looks great on paper, makes us look like we're doing great to other countries.
    We have the worst homeless crisis since we had tenements yet the government can spend billions on new hotels.

Strange how the government is concerned about money and the economy when the topic of housing and health crisis is brought up but when it suits them can go ahead and blow billions.

And just to add, Sinn fein cant make such claims about anything because the same two parties have been voted in continuously for almost a century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

And FF?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

i think a lot of the problem is the expectations millenials have. They seem to have this entitlement to live in a nice apartment in the centre of the city, probably because they grew up watching shows like Friends. Why should they? If others have more money and want to live there, they will do so. The rent reflects aggregate demand and aggregate supply for living in that area. I read that Niamh Horan in the independent complain about the cost of rent, turns out she's living in Grand Canal Dock! Why "must" a journalist live in one of the most expensive parts of town?

If i was a young millennial (and i'm in my 30's so i'm not that old), i would rent a room out in Kildare at 600 per month rather than try to pay 1800 per month for an apartment in the city centre. Save diligently the difference, month after month until i have my deposit. Then, buying in the city is relatively cheap compared to renting, there are plenty of apartments around for 250k to 350k. Two people earning the average wage of 40k could buy an apartment in Dublin city quite easily. But it requires discipline, saving. The millennials want a sugar daddy taxpayer to take care of them. That mentality needs to change!

You and attitudes like the above are a prime example why FG got wrecked on Saturday, and will continue to get wrecked by that generation as more and more young people join Ireland's housing sh*heap. All the while people who are home and hosed, who are shrinking by the year continue to patronise them and talk of avocados.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭quokula

So on paper we look great while in reality we have a ridiculous public transport system, a shortage of hospital staff and a recruitment ban and nurses employed cant afford to keep themselves afloat while working 48 hour shifts.
    Goverment then goes ahead and builds the most expensive hospital in Europe - again this looks great on paper, makes us look like we're doing great to other countries.
    We have the worst homeless crisis since we had tenements yet the government can spend billions on new hotels.

Strange how the government is concerned about money and the economy when the topic of housing and health crisis is brought up but when it suits them can go ahead and blow billions.

And just to add, Sinn fein cant make such claims about anything because the same two parties have been voted in continuously for almost a century.

You complain about the nurse salaries, but international surveys show Ireland pays nurses more than nearly any country in the world. Eg http://creativenurse.com/nurse-salaries-from-high-to-low-around-the-world/ rates us top three in the world for a nurse to work.

Meanwhile other people on this thread say they vote SF because the government spend too much. SF get to spout whatever lies they want and take both sides of the argument while never having to prove anything.

Lots of stats have been posted on this thread already showing that we enjoy an extremely high standard of living in this country for the most part and while we do have problems, they are problems with no easy solutions that are shared all across the world. I really dread the thought of SF taking us backwards to the standard of living they’ve had under SF in the north.

• Advertisement

The ironic thing about the whole housing thing is, someone on minimum wage.. is better off on the dole, they have a more viable chance of getting a house that way rather than getting a mortgage, i mean can you even get a mortgage on minimum wage even if you have a deposit ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

The ironic thing about the whole housing thing is, someone on minimum wage.. is better off on the dole, they have a more viable chance of getting a house that way rather than getting a mortgage, i mean can you even get a mortgage on minimum wage even if you have a deposit ?

Yes. With a rebuilding Ireland mortgage facilitated through your local authority.

quokula wrote: »
    You complain about the nurse salaries, but international surveys show Ireland pays nurses more than nearly any country in the world. Eg http://creativenurse.com/nurse-salaries-from-high-to-low-around-the-world/ rates us top three in the world for a nurse to work.

Meanwhile other people on this thread say they vote SF because the government spend too much. SF get to spout whatever lies they want and take both sides of the argument while never having to prove anything.

Lots of stats have been posted on this thread already showing that we enjoy an extremely high standard of living in this country for the most part and while we do have problems, they are problems with no easy solutions that are shared all across the world. I really dread the thought of SF taking us backwards to the standard of living they’ve had under SF in the north.

Im not a nurses myself but from speaking to nurses they will tell you they earn **** all. Theres good reason why so many of them are in Australia and London. The statistics might show a decent wage but thats not the case for actual nurses. Its like how they're trying to say that teachers earn a starting salary of 36k.
    If a teacher were to walk into a full time permanent job straight out college,they might earn close to 36k but that never happens, most earn under 20k. Same goes for nurses, dont fall for the government statistics, they'll put out anything that makes the country look good on paper. Also, your link isnt very credible.

I think the comments were focusing on the what the government spent so much on - like billions on an unaffordable and unneeded hospital, hotels and a printer. Not to mention their own ridiculous wages, bonuses and pensions.

Statistics show a high standard of living? for who? The adults forced to live with their parents into their 40's? the homeless kids, old people and working families? The people cramped in modern tenements in Dublin?
    The only people with a high standard of living are the middle and upper classes.

Youre clearly unaffected by the current system as youre obviously middle class yourself

Theres a bang of 'im alright jack' off your post, seen a few of those on boards lately. Must be nice up in your ivory tower.

Judging people by government statistics while ignoring the blatant issues that are happening across the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭joseywhales

They aren't even that cheap in the west either you d still be aiming for 150-250k for something decent, it's crazyness , and sad really when you think about it people are boxed into living at home with a very steep up hill battle to get there own home,

Not everyone lives in Dublin either, and the jobs they are saying aren't very good , are the majority of jobs

But even if someone manages to get the house get the child care afford the car if by some miracle they are able to do that... They have little to no room to even enjoy life .

I can't wait to hear the retort of people..."they should get better jobs " please point out said jobs that the majority can get!

Not everyone can or ever will own a home, not matter who is in government.

There is nothing wrong with renting for life.

In fact the more developed the country, the less residential units are owner occupied.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_home_ownership_rate

I'd also like to point out that the cost of building a house in labour and materials and land would easily be 150k(if you did all the management yourself) or more for a 2 bed detached home. So unless you want builders to be paid less and housing standards to be reduced, that's the price.

Not everyone can or ever will own a home, not matter who is in government.

There is nothing wrong with renting for life.

There would be nothing wrong with renting for life as is more common in Europe if there was some sort of security of tenure, no renovictions, and sensible arrangements and brakes around rental inflation and gouging as is common in Europe. Regrettably, if adjustments to any of these proposed in Ireland, steam starts coming out of the property lobby's ears and we're told we're going down the road of Venezuela.

Eoin O'Brion's proposed introduction of the Viennese rental model in Ireland (if people sat down to think about it for a second, it's actually an excellent solution to at least part of the housing problem in Ireland) is framed as some sort of Leninist attack on the sacred rights of property owners - and they plug their ears when people try to make the case for it.

I've seen countless threads on boards were that merry-go-round happens.

Person A: How about an afforable rental / purchase model as adopted in X or Y European country?

Person B: F*ck off out of here with your free-gaffes talk. Cuba. Margret Cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Just interested to know where these hotels are?

Are hotels not usually built by chains/private investors?

Why would any government build their own hotels and actually spend billions doing it?

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Yes. With a rebuilding Ireland mortgage facilitated through your local authority.

A couple (never mind a single person) on minimum wage with the x3.5 salary rules this will be next to impossible in all but the most peripheral counties (Donegal or Longford perhaps).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Yurt! wrote: »
    A couple (never mind a single person) on minimum wage with the x3.5 salary rules this will be next to impossible in all but the most peripheral counties (Donegal or Longford perhaps).

A nephew of the wife's just after buying a house outside Balbriggan through this scheme. That's why I mentioned it in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

How does higher education make it a good job?
    We had a thread on here recently about a newspaper article where a guy was "complaining" that he had to move to London as he couldnt get a job with his masters in Arts & History in Longford.

Good Job is one that pays a good wage and is not likely to disappear.

If its minimum wage then its by definition not a good job!

This is a huge part of the problem. Too many young people have unrealistic expectations. Having an nice house in a nice area close to where you work when you are earning the minimum wage is just pie in the sky stuff.

Sure if that was the case, why would anyone break their balls working 80 hour weeks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Only the difference is the UK and US voted for hard right wing governments. Ireland is gone the complete opposite by majority of people under 40 voting left.
    Most under-40s in the UK also voted left. The difference is the UK uses FPTP.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/12/17/how-britain-voted-2019-general-election

Advertisement