Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have we come to

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Building up a bill of 31 million in rent arrears might give one a clue.

Does it for me, a chara.

Yet these tenants are still housed. They will be housed. It's do you want hotels and leases for them or builds. That's the only debate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

mad what a false promise of free housing can do.
    I always look at dublin south central in awe, perpetually vote for free handouts, if a manifesto mentioned jobs the candidate would be run out of the place.

It highlights how big an issue it is alot bigger than what alot "I'm alright Jack's" would have you believe

The song of were all employed everything is fine is falling on deaf ears

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Building up a bill of 31 million in rent arrears might give one a clue.

Does it for me, a chara.

Rent arrears is no excuse for allowing homes to become unobtainable for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    SF are losing voters by the day as people realize the “politicians” that got voted in. For a while it was grand as Mary Lou and 1-2 more was all they seen and everyone said they are ok

There've been two opinions polls since the election, one of which was published today, and both showed SF actually increasing its support as opposed to losing it.

This is what FG's housing policy has led to. Sh!t like this is exactly why young people are so pissed off.

https://www.thejournal.ie/co-living-rathmines-dublin-planning-permission-5013833-Feb2020/

The woman I mentioned earlier in this thread who was evicted from her €1,200 per month apartment in Dun Laoghaire and is now having to pay almost €1,600 per month for a smaller apartment in the same area is one of the people who was utterly depressed when Bartra secured permission for their "co-living" tenement in Dun Laoghaire where they planned to charge, I believe, €1,400 per month for a studio without a kitchen. Remember a few posts back I mentioned how people were utterly sick of the "Ireland is doing better now than it was ten years ago" FG apologists? This is specifically why, if you ask me. Being asked to downgrade from a proper apartment to a bedroom with no kitchen facilities and pay more per month than you had been up until a couple of years ago is the very definition of stagflation (or "shrinkflation" as they often call it in the grocery business) and FG's government gave sickening speeches and statements championing these sh!tholes as "the boutique hotels of the future".

How anyone can blame young people for their wholesale rejection of this is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭omega man

smurgen wrote: »
    Bear in mind we're also working longer hours than previous generations ever did and commuting further than previous generations ever did and pretty soon the rising costs and stagnant wages are going to make for an angry angry electorate.

I bought my first house with my partner in 2003 outside of Dublin (where I lived all of my life up to then) as we couldn’t afford to buy in Dublin at the time. It was a difficult commute to our jobs in Dublin for a number of years until we could afford to move back.
    Whilst I accept some things are different today I do agree with some of the comments in here about unrealistic expectations about where you think you should be living, be it renting or buying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 231 ✭✭Martin Lanigan

First thing that SF should do when they get into power is write off all the arrears.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Yurt! wrote: »
    The legacy parties, and FG above all, live in a world where they think things can be explained away. What is happening with housing is such a fundamental shift in the Irish economic reality for people, that the more they try to explain it away, use misleading statistics or think of it as an optics problem, the angrier people will become.

They also fail to realise that 10s of thousands of people leave school and college every year and are joining the rental sh*theap. These people are growing in number every year and the mainstream parties just aren't getting the message. They are accustomed to buying off the public sector or sweetening up pensioners, it's not in their playbook or imagination to solve an issue like this or even in their headspace to know how to tackle it. That's why FG throw their hands in the air and sneer 'there's nothing anybody can do,' because they don't know what to do with the ideological tools baked into the party.

Any party not showing will to change the model of housing provision in Ireland should really get off the stage and the individuals in them should seek a new career, because on the current course, this problem will get worse before it gets better.

brilliant post! All of this **** about supply coming on stream, it is speeding up, no doubt about it. But its not going to be anywhere near what we need and the affordability issue isnt being addressed. FG running for the hills makes sense. If this is the anger and backlash now, give it another few years!

The solution? They can forget throwing billions up in smoke on the ****e that they do ever year, throw it at pensioners and welfare. Health is a black hole, they will have to keep feeding that. Every budget removig more from the tax net. Wont increase LPT etc. Listen I am delighted, that this **** show of appalling and reckless governance, is going to be found out , for what it has been! Ive been harping on about it for years! I think renting out the social housing for a pittance is another immoral disgrace, depriving people of homes. The density issue has to be tackled. Then the governments tax take is simply too high on new builds and with apartments, the dual aspect increases costs substantially (if someone was starving, would you only let them shop in m and s!) fcuk sake.

Things are going to get a lot worse and they will only ease, if they start addressing affordability and supply. Supply is up massively, but its nowhere near enough and wont be, to supply the avalance of immigrants, college students, people trapped living at home with parents etc...

I wondered how so many, had been relatively patient up to this point. I dont see any of the parties, actually doing what it takes, I actually think they are so delusional, they cant even comprehend the scale of the problem anyway. I mean I read a quote from a senior FG member the other day, saying they didnt realise, how angry and dissolusioned people were. This is their job and they are paid a spectacular amount to do it and they dont get , what joe soap thinks, go onto a site like this, like the journal, you absolute offensive morons!

They didnt see this reaction coming and these world class clowns, will solve health, housing etc? Even if there isnt another serious financial shock, I can see this coming to a head, become of how socially untenable the entire situation will be. You know what, let FFG face up to the **** show they have created. I voted SF after votin FG previously, on the one hand, I would like to see what they would do, on the other, I dont want to see them obliterated, if they get in and cant change much, due to the system and vested interests. I think I'd prefer to see the axis of failure, have their creation, coming crashing down on top of them! Then let SF in...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

First thing that SF should do when they get into power is write off all the arrears.

do you want to bankrupt dcc and the property market, because thats how you get a bankrupt council and property market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Standard SF supporter

Everything for free and no idea what they are talking about....let someone else pay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

omega man wrote: »
    I bought my first house with my partner in 2003 outside of Dublin (where I lived all of my life up to then) as we couldn’t afford to buy in Dublin at the time. It was a difficult commute to our jobs in Dublin for a number of years until we could afford to move back.
    Whilst I accept some things are different today I do agree with some of the comments in here about unrealistic expectations about where you think you should be living, be it renting or buying.

Wanting to buy a HOME that isn't in the next feckin county and doesn't hock you into debt until you're an OAP is hardly an unrealistic expectation.

Is it unreasonable for young people to demand that their quality of life now in full careers during a supposed economic recovery should be at least equal to that of deep recession 2011 Ireland when they were working part time jobs and paying college fees etc? That's honestly where a lot of this is coming from. People have had to massively downgrade their accomodation post-recession despite far higher incomes because of the rent crisis, and FG were insufferably smug about it while in office, Murphy in particular.

The idea that one's quality of life should significantly decrease when transitioning from a part time college job to a full time career in the vast majority of cases is utterly ridiculous, and people simply will not accept it without a fight.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Standard SF supporter

Everything for free and no idea what they are talking about....let someone else pay

Unlikely.

You're thinking FF/FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭omega man

Tony EH wrote: »
    Wanting to buy a HOME that isn't in the next feckin county and doesn't hock you into debt until you're an OAP is hardly an unrealistic expectation.

My point was I couldn’t do that in 2003 so things aren’t too different as the post I replied to seemed to suggest this generation are commuting longer etc.
    You’re right about an expectation to an extent but a lot depends on where in Dublin you feel this home should be.

My point was I couldn’t do that in 2003 so things aren’t too different as the post I replied to seemed to suggest this generation are commuting longer etc.
    You’re right about an expectation to an extent but a lot depends on where in Dublin you feel this home should be.

Odds are that you could have rented it for a far more reasonable price than you'd be asked for now, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

why shouldnt you have been able to buy a home closer to where you wanted? because of idiotic planning laws. High tax take on new homes, yet the government give out free housing to others in prime areas? The entire thing, is a backwards farce in this banana republic!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,555 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Bowie wrote: »
    Yet these tenants are still housed. They will be housed. It's do you want hotels and leases for them or builds. That's the only debate.

Don’t think so dude, small matter of payment enters the equation, I would suggest.

Of course there are some who feel that payment for anything is not relevant.

Would t it be great if we all had to pay for nothing- all free.

Hmmm

Don’t think so dude, small matter of payment enters the equation, I would suggest.

Of course there are some who feel that payment for anything is not relevant.

Would t it be great if we all had to pay for nothing- all free.

Hmmm

Doesn't. Not one bit.
    These arrears are irrelevant.
    Hopefully a new government will tackle them but the people will be housed.
    Do you want more hotels, leases and private rentals? That's the only debate, as I say, unless we get in some shower willing to take rent from source.

Doesn't. Not one bit.
    These arrears are irrelevant.
    Hopefully a new government will tackle them but the people will be housed.

Glad you think 31m rent arrears is irrelevant, a chara.

Glad you think 31m rent arrears is irrelevant, a chara.

It is. We are talking about tackling the housing crisis Bren. Keep up.
    Rent arrears have zero bearing on FG putting people up in hotels or taking out 25 years leases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Rent arrears have zero bearing on FG putting people up in hotels or taking out 25 years leases.

How many houses would 31m have bought DCC ?

How many houses would 31m have bought DCC ?

Maybe 3 if FG are involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,169 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Maybe 3 if FG are involved.

Does our expensive public service not get any blame for the blatant waste of money

So the way to tackle the housing crisis is to build ‘free’ houses..

That’s one way, Jim, well it is one way, not much used in fairness in any developed country.

Who is going to pay for these, one wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

So the way to tackle the housing crisis is to build ‘free’ houses..

That’s one way, Jim, well it is one way, not much used in fairness in any developed country.

Who is going to pay for these, one wonders.

SF are going to turn FG supporters into soylent green and sell ye to the Chinese by the containerload. You come ready salted so you'll hold great appeal to the Chinese pallet. Premium product.

Should pay for a rake of free gaffes for all the uneducated fools that voted against the party of competency.

They truly are the bogeyman you've been warned about.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Why would a bank lend if a political party will write off the arrears?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

This is what FG's housing policy has led to. Sh!t like this is exactly why young people are so pissed off.

https://www.thejournal.ie/co-living-rathmines-dublin-planning-permission-5013833-Feb2020/

The woman I mentioned earlier in this thread who was evicted from her €1,200 per month apartment in Dun Laoghaire and is now having to pay almost €1,600 per month for a smaller apartment in the same area is one of the people who was utterly depressed when Bartra secured permission for their "co-living" tenement in Dun Laoghaire where they planned to charge, I believe, €1,400 per month for a studio without a kitchen. Remember a few posts back I mentioned how people were utterly sick of the "Ireland is doing better now than it was ten years ago" FG apologists? This is specifically why, if you ask me. Being asked to downgrade from a proper apartment to a bedroom with no kitchen facilities and pay more per month than you had been up until a couple of years ago is the very definition of stagflation (or "shrinkflation" as they often call it in the grocery business) and FG's government gave sickening speeches and statements championing these sh!tholes as "the boutique hotels of the future".
    How anyone can blame young people for their wholesale rejection of this is beyond me.

I couldn't afford to live in Dun Laoghaire. But I did work hard - save - get a mortgage and buy a house in a much less upmarket area. And I know young couples who are doing that today.

Careful now try not to overload em with common sense, haha

Infairness most people could reasonably afford to live somewhere in the wilderness in Donegal , might be Abit of a commute but you know "back in my day" you had to "sacrafice Abit " to get a house...youth these days...think they can have there latte and afford a house ... Absolute mad bastards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

It has always been normal to have a 20 to 30 year mortgage. And even Gorey is only an hour on the bus to Dublin city centre - and you get to walk on the beach when you get home in the summer time:).

Too many unrealistic expectations from the younger generation who don't know what hard work and saving is :rolleyes:

Advertisement