Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Dail / New Taoiseach

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

piplip87 wrote: »
    They wouldn't charge one of Thier own. British agent Gerry

Jesus.. It gets better now the IRA top man for years was also a British agent. https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OGC.4c7cc15772ecc8ca9cbf3cb414653574&pid=Api&rurl=https%3a%2f%2fmedia.giphy.com%2fmedia%2fzhJ55GsXRajxm%2fgiphy.gif&ehk=4rt7GBNkqdN9MePgdgDYltoy0xt6gYZcsemQkmr0QQc%3d

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

hammerdub wrote: »
    Gerry was a great man for attending funerals and carrying coffins of know IRA men funny how he knew them all .

Hundreds of people at the same funerals carried the same coffins all ra supporters of course?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

I want Sinn Fein in government to see them deliver on their 100+ promises.
    There is not enough comedy on RTE :)

Sinn Fein have been given a mandate to run the country , Mary Lou would want to grow a pair of balls go and do what there asked to do !
    I’ll personally vote for them if they can deliver what they say ! I just told a few today if she takes all the builders away from commercial developments to build free houses see how many guns will appear and they won’t be the ira either .

Can u see the working people Putting up with free estates going up willy nilly in every town and city ! Ffs

This country is a joke !

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭hammerdub

Gerry was the one common face carrying coffins all over Northern and southern Ireland at funerals of IRA men and delivering grave side orations at same funerals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Sinn Fein have been given a mandate to run the country , Mary Lou would want to grow a pair of balls go and do what there asked to do !
    I’ll personally vote for them if they can deliver what they say ! I just told a few today if she takes all the builders away from commercial developments to build free houses see how many guns will appear and they won’t be the ira either .

Can u see the working people Putting up with free estates going up willy nilly in every town and city ! Ffs

This country is a joke !

They have a 1/4 mandate.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

easypazz wrote: »
    They have a 1/4 mandate.

They have been given a mandate of nearly topping the pole in huge amount of constituencies! People want change they want them to be in government so step up and do what there asked !
    Loads Free houses for the non workers new hospitals no more trolleys - happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

I want Sinn Fein in government to see them deliver on their 100+ promises.
    There is not enough comedy on RTE :)

I want them in Gov so maybe by budget time they will finally tell us how the €7-odd billion in tax cuts and spending will be paid for? I cant find one major tax hike mentioned that will cover this, and no "wealth tax" will cut it!

Whats MLMD's plan? The Apple €14 billion, which the EU countries have their eyes on? Has someone told her she cant get a £7 billion payment from Britain each year, this isnt the North!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

easypazz wrote: »
    They have a 1/4 mandate.

They have just under half a mandate. 37 seats out of a required 80.

They got less than 25% of the first preference vote = less than half a mandate.

I think a Gov of the current left TDs will be like herding cats, and with either FF or FG, SF will still need a third party.

I can't see what will work, so a new election for Easter - Lillies anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I don't think Mary Lou "Tiocfaidh ár lá" McDonald is quite what many women hoped for in the (potential) first female Taoiseach.

The vast majority of young women I’ve spoken to about this election (and many of my friends come from what people would describe as “D4” backgrounds) very passionately supported and voted for Sinn Fein, and were absolutely ecstatic watching the results roll in. I was at the Dublin count with a woman my age (30) living in Dún Laoghaire, who was raised in England until the age of 13 and considers herself British with family heritage from Cork and Derry, and I have never seen her as happy or excited as when she had the opportunity to shake Mary Lou’s hand.

Why? Because she spent the majority of last summer as one of the hidden homeless, when she was evicted from her €1.200 per month apartment and had to spend the entire summer couch surfing and assuming she’s have to leave her job and social circle in Dublin to move back in with her family in Tipperary - before finally, after weeks upon weeks of couch surfing with friends while watching rents spiral out of control and being rejected again and against for oversubscribed viewings, managed to secure another apartment in the same area which cost more than €400 more per month in rent despite being a downgrade on what she had previously been paying less for.

During that time, Eoghan Murphy blocked the redevelopment of O’Devaney Gardens by DCC as proper social housing and legalized “boutique hotels” in the form of glorified prison cell co-loving developments, FG with the help of FF blocked every measure proposed by the opposition to increase the amount of social housing built in the country or reduce existing private rents to acceptable levels, lied repeatedly about why various measures to fix the problem were illegal or unworkable, and gloated incessantly about how great Ireland was to live in under their leadership.

Every young person I know who has been renting since the recession was better off then even on lower or even part time pay than they are now with proper careers, and has had their quality of life utterly decimated in one way or another by the spiraling rent issue over the last four years and FFG have done an absolutely terrible job of pretending they’re not delighted that their primary clients, the property investment class, are doing so well out of exploiting their fellow Irishmen and women.

Young people will not vote for a government which has made it so blatantly and obscenely clear tat it couldn’t give a single f*ck about their quality of life either now or in the future. It’s as simple as that.

If a government wants to cater only to people already on the ladder by pulling it up behind them and leaving everyone else to drown, that’s their prerogative. But to attack the electorate, accuse them of ignorance or act as if they are behaving childishly when those who are drowning because the ladder has been pulled up decide to vote for someone else, is sickeningly arrogant and obnoxious. FFG threw away the lives of Irish youth with their neoliberal, pro-propert speculation ideology, and the young are responding by throwing away any potential support they might have had for either party. Simple as. No ifs, no buts. You reap what you sow, and you cannot expect people to vote for politicians who have spent years giving them the two fingers and screwing their lives up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

The vast majority of young women I’ve spoken to about this election (and many of my friends come from what people would describe as “D4” backgrounds) very passionately supported and voted for Sinn Fein, and were absolutely ecstatic watching the results roll in. I was at the Dublin count with a woman my age (30) living in Dún Laoghaire, who was raised in England until the age of 13 and considers herself British with family heritage from Cork and Derry, and I have never seen her as happy or excited as when she had the opportunity to shake Mary Lou’s hand.

Why? Because she spent the majority of last summer as one of the hidden homeless, when she was evicted from her €1.200 per month apartment and had to spend the entire summer couch surfing and assuming she’s have to leave her job and social circle in Dublin to move back in with her family in Tipperary - before finally, after weeks upon weeks of couch surfing with friends while watching rents spiral out of control and being rejected again and against for oversubscribed viewings, managed to secure another apartment in the same area which cost more than €400 more per month in rent despite being a downgrade on what she had previously been paying less for.

During that time, Eoghan Murphy blocked the redevelopment of O’Devaney Gardens by DCC as proper social housing and legalized “boutique hotels” in the form of glorified prison cell co-loving developments, FG with the help of FF blocked every measure proposed by the opposition to increase the amount of social housing built in the country or reduce existing private rents to acceptable levels, lied repeatedly about why various measures to fix the problem were illegal or unworkable, and gloated incessantly about how great Ireland was to live in under their leadership.

Every young person I know who has been renting since the recession was better off then even on lower or even part time pay than they are now with proper careers, and has had their quality of life utterly decimated in one way or another by the spiraling rent issue over the last four years and FFG have done an absolutely terrible job of pretending they’re not delighted that their primary clients, the property investment class, are doing so well out of exploiting their fellow Irishmen and women.

Young people will not vote for a government which has made it so blatantly and obscenely clear tat it couldn’t give a single f*ck about their quality of life either now or in the future. It’s as simple as that.

If a government wants to cater only to people already on the ladder by pulling it up behind them and leaving everyone else to drown, that’s their prerogative. But to attack the electorate, accuse them of ignorance or act as if they are behaving childishly when those who are drowning because the ladder has been pulled up decide to vote for someone else, is sickeningly arrogant and obnoxious. FFG threw away the lives of Irish youth with their neoliberal, pro-propert speculation ideology, and the young are responding by throwing away any potential support they might have had for either party. Simple as. No ifs, no buts. You reap what you sow, and you cannot expect people to vote for politicians who have spent years giving them the two fingers and screwing their lives up.
    Finally someone talking sense after scrolling through 4 pages of scaremongering and bitterness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

A booming economy produces higher incomes that chase housing for sale or rent to higher and higher levels.
    You will not have high income and low rents, or cheap houses to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

I asked this question in a different thread but got no response so maybe you could have a go at answering it?

How are SF actually going to deliver what they've promised on housing?

Are we just going to build social housing neighborhoods/high rises again and move away from mixed developments? They haven't been too popular with the public whenever they've been tried.

How do you build an extra 100,000 homes in 5 years without over inflating the construction sector like what happened before the last crash? New home starts were at 26,000 this year so are we to expect 46,000 next year?

Are we going to contract home building out to private developers or are we going to hire construction workers directly by the councils? Because if we hire them directly they'll be on the books forever and if it's developers then what has actually changed?

How do you manage house prices to make them affordable while not upsetting people who have had to secure a €450,000 mortgage in the same area a few years previously? You could drive them into negative equity but they won't thank you next election. Will the state pay off a portion of their mortgage? It would be fairer but it would cost billions. And what of the people who have no mortgage but see the value of their home decrease, will they be paid?

There's lots of answers to these questions but there's no easy ones. And the population are fickle as we've seen lately.

I asked this question in a different thread but got no response so maybe you could have a go at answering it?

Are we just going to build social housing neighborhoods/high rises again and move away from mixed developments? They haven't been too popular with the public whenever they've been tried.

How do you build an extra 100,000 homes in 5 years without over inflating the construction sector like what happened before the last crash? New home starts were at 26,000 this year so are we to expect 46,000 next year?

Are we going to contract home building out to private developers or are we going to hire construction workers directly by the councils? Because if we hire them directly they'll be on the books forever and if it's developers then what has actually changed?

How do you manage house prices to make them affordable while not upsetting people who have had to secure a €450,000 mortgage in the same area a few years previously? You could drive them into negative equity but they won't thank you next election. Will the state pay off a portion of their mortgage? It would be fairer but it would cost billions. And what of the people who have no mortgage but see the value of their home decrease, will they be paid?

There's lots of answers to these questions but there's no easy ones. And the population are fickle as we've seen lately.
    How much is spent every month on HAP? How much is spent on hotel bills? How much is spent on all the direct provision centres? Where is all this money going? Private parties making a fotune in rents from the housing situation. How many houses could you build from all the money that is wasted on all these hotels, provision centres and private rentals?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    The SF vote amongst the under thirty demographic is huge, we have an exclusively left wing media where pro free market ideals are viewed as far dirtier than SF Marxist thought
    But how many of those under-30s are folks who feel utterly fecked over by FF/FG?
    Neither would consider making rent payments tax-deductable, to say nothing of rent controls.
    Of the two, only FG made any attempt to raise the tax band on low/middle income earners - none of them even considered addressing the imbalance between a single person and someone who's married. And none of them have done anything meaningful to address the extortionate costs of Insurance either.

If you're under 30, single, own a car and have a job in Dublin I think you might be pretty pissed at the the extortionate rents that force you into long commutes, not being able to afford a place of your own, and paying more tax than a married childless couple does.

I would suspect that where "pro free market ideals are viewed as far dirtier", those ideals have lead to an intolerably unfair system that means the low and middle pay the most, get the least while the very-well-off gain the advantages.

I didn't vote SF but I'd say they deserve their chance to find out that being in Government is not as simple as making promises that attract votes, you'll never make everyone happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

A booming economy produces higher incomes that chase housing for sale or rent to higher and higher levels.

The bottom line IMO is that Irish people need to stop thinking they have a god given right to own a house. We are moving towards the European model where long term renting is the norm. Yes that will require some form of rent restrictions but to admit that’s the plan would be political suicide

Similarly with the pension age. Something we can’t afford, it should be increased to 70, we’re living 10 years longer than we were 30 years ago and it needs to be reflected in our retirement age. We simply can’t afford the pensions coming down the line. But again more political suicide to open that can of worms

• Registered Users Posts: 36,347 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

If the state continues to neglect its responsibility as main builder of homes, yes. But if it steps up to the plate, maybe not. Let’s see shall we?

One thing I can tell you for certain: Apple, Facebook et al won’t give a **** who built their staff convenient and affordable housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Ah yes Labour, they are the party with the rose, a symbol of better tomorrows.

There was a time when they represented the working class. In 2011 they made promises to those good enough to believe them. The party were rewarded with 20% of first preference votes with 37 TD's returned to Dáil Eireann. Within a short period of time they broke all of those promises (7 parliamentary members left as a result). They delivered austerity, froze pay, introduced a universal social charge and backed FG to the hilt, all to pay back unsecured gambling bong holders. They justified it with a ignorant and intelligence insulting mantra of doing good work for the country. The reality is that the country is set back decades, with no money left for infrastructure nor services.

At the 2016 GE they got the answer from even their most loyal followers, and were reduced to 7 TD's, some of which barely scraped in. Brendan Howlin didn't even meet the quota, and required the elimination of the lowest candidates in his own constituency.

Since 2016 Labour under Howlin have had ample time in opposition to go back to basics and challenge the situation on housing, taxation, health care and education policy, however ironic. They didn't. Infact if you ever have an accident or a heart complaint in his home town, pray to St Anthony that he finds you an ambulance.

They didn't rebuild their party, they have long lost the trust of lifetime supporters. Clearly Howlin was trying to hold off AK47's "power suits me" challenge to his leadership. These power struggles have been a feature of labour in the past 20 years. The reality is the damage is well done and their is nothing left to fight over leading. SF have taken advantage of their absence.

In the current election, at least 3 of their TD's were way past retirement age, yet still ran. This self serving one last spin egotism should have stopped in 2016. There are now less than a handful left.

Whoever takes over the remnants and seeks to resurrect their brand, should revisit where they came from and start at grassroots level. They can start by going over to the side of the Custom House, opposite Liberty Hall, and beg forgiveness from the man whose monument stands there.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

I would love to see SF faces when they get in the door, open up the accounts and go “oh boll0x!”

They’ve promised the sun, moon and stars and have numerous U-turns to make now.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    If the state continues to neglect its responsibility as main builder of homes, yes. But if it steps up to the plate, maybe not. Let’s see shall we?

One thing I can tell you for certain: Apple, Facebook et al won’t give a **** who built their staff convenient and affordable housing.

Of course they wont..because they won’t be here after SF whack up the corp. tax rates to fund their freestyler fanbase.

I would love to see SF faces when they get in the door, open up the accounts and go “oh boll0x!”

They’ve promised the sun, moon and stars and have numerous U-turns to make now.

You are talking as if this has never happened before. All the parties do it. Didn't FG get in on the back of promising to abolish USC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

How much is spent every month on HAP? How much is spent on hotel bills? How much is spent on all the direct provision centres? Where is all this money going? Private parties making a fotune in rents from the housing situation. How many houses could you build from all the money that is wasted on all these hotels, provision centres and private rentals?

All the numbers for the questions you just asked are publicly available. If you want to work them out and come back to me I'd love to see them but it doesn't have anything to do with the questions I asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭storker

What type of woman would she have to be?

The type that would look after the already-well-heeled.

All the numbers for the questions you just asked are publicly available. If you want to work them out and come back to me I'd love to see them but it doesn't have anything to do with the questions I asked.

Well, not all of them are publicly available. The profits made by 3 or 4 private families that run the direct provision centres are unattainable as their companies were moved offshore. The rest is readily available and is a staggering amount of money annually. Enough to build quite a lot of houses I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Green&Red wrote: »
    The bottom line IMO is that Irish people need to stop thinking they have a god given right to own a house. We are moving towards the European model where long term renting is the norm. Yes that will require some form of rent restrictions but to admit that’s the plan would be political suicide
    Aside from the security of 'owning' your own home, a mortgage payment is typically less than the monthly rent and in the long run the is an investment which you can improve through renovations.

The issue isn't renting, it's the fact that tenants don't gain the same rights as an owner-occupier paying back a bank loan - a secure place to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

afro man wrote: »
    Strange indeed with all the security forces and English
    / Irish government never had any evidence to charge gerry over the years

The Brits did charge him in 1977

• Registered Users Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I don't think Mary Lou "Tiocfaidh ár lá" McDonald is quite what many women hoped for in the (potential) first female Taoiseach.

What is wrong with a Republican Irishwoman saying as gaeilge "Our day will come"? Good for her.
    And it will. Well, a United Ireland anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

What is wrong with a Republican Irishwoman saying as gaeilge "Our day will come"? Good for her.
    And it will. Well, a United Ireland anyway.
    She can start by carrying out her 100+ election manifesto promises.
    It will be a good advertisement for her whole island Ireland.
    Or is everything always in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

She can start by carrying out her 100+ election manifesto promises.
    It will be a good advertisement for her whole island Ireland.
    Or is everything always in the future?

I agree. That promise of 100,000 social and affordable houses. It will be fun watching them fulfill that promise.
    But there is nothing wrong with her Tiocfiadh ar la" thing. Good for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

This is rather a good analysis/breakdown of the Sinn Fein housing plan.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/election-2020-is-sinn-f%C3%A9in-s-housing-policy-credible-1.4163859

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 8 dcjcmml

Shelby Nì Conghaile is a great young activist. Twitter below:

@ShelbyConnolly4

Advertisement