Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Dail / New Taoiseach

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

They were always just the party for people who couldnt bring themselves to vote for FF/FG
    They made the mistake of letting the stickies in once the iron curtain came down and their gig was up.

The likes of Gilmour, Rabitte and DeRossa were nothing but mercenary opportunists looking out for themselves and thats what Labour became

No loss tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Scoundrel wrote: »
    Yeah and Joe Costello in Dublin central as well they need new blood out front and quick.
    Where will the young blood come from? Most electable candidates of their political persuasion seem to be defecting to the Soc Dems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Many of us in the party felt opposition was better than going in with FG, however in Labour went.
    I can't get over Joan Burton's attitude to protesters. It's a fine example of were Labour lost their way. You might not agree with protesters, but you respect their right to protest. She ridiculed them while supporting an obvious quango and 'looking after our own'.
    Shortall was right to leave after Labour supported Reilly's clinics. Labour became a farce.
    In my area they parachuted in a person, a rising star...who lost badly in this election.
    They've not done anything except lick their wounds and hope public opinion looks fondly upon them. It didn't.
    They need a complete clean out and rebuild with left leaning people.
    If they did that after the last election they might have been were FF/SF are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Running candidates in constituencies they didn't have any candidates in would though.

All one of them

The other constituencies they didn't get in in are nearly impossible to consider getting

• Registered Users Posts: 51,921 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

RTÉ reporting that FF have agreed NOT to go into Government with SF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Sleepy wrote: »
    Where will the young blood come from? Most electable candidates of their political persuasion seem to be defecting to the Soc Dems.

That's a good point but surely they must have a few under 75 anyway.

And it only took one left party (Labour) to say they were going to go into opposition to bring about a hung Dail, and new GE.

FF or FG certainly wont offer a C&S support to SF.

And I don't see FF, FG and the greens forming a coalition. Have they taken down the posters yet?!?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Wtf ?

The thought of SF getting ''inner access'' to our state sends shivers down my spine. Too many shadowy figures still in the backround pulling the strings.
    Give me a FF/FG plus whoever anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭The_Fitz

Dont get me wrong. I love the idea of a 32 county sovereign state. Us all waving shamrocks and gaith duine ag caint as gailge. Sinn Fein have done their homework and honed in on the voters who also like this idea but these are not the people who will end up paying for it. This Irish language Act nonsense also gets on my goat. Being force fed Irish from age 4 to 18 has not helped my gra for the language ( Or most people I know down south ) and I cant imagine that being any different up here if Irish were made compulsory. Nurses, teachers etc being underpaid here so that I can have road signs As gailge telling me it's 40 miles to Beal Feirsde is what Sinn Fein are pedalling. Like the Brexit vote, the people who will feel the real pinch when the Sinn Fein honeymoon period is over should they ever actually decide to take on the mantle of power and make some real decisions are the people who voted them in. I'm speaking as one of a limited number of people who can and does vote in both jurisdictions. Even Mary Lou cant do that. My bad. I probably shouldnt though

Making Irish compulsory and teaching it against the will of a student for over a decade is not what an Irish language is about. Irish is taught in a very different way in the north. It actually flourishes.

You think road sign costing is equivalent to the salaries of our nurses and doctors?

The Irish language is about giving right to those who want to use the language as much as possible. Nobody is going to say it's for everything. Why shouldn't we offer that to people, and to protect that language?

You are totally within your right to be against the preservation of my language but give me some facts as to why.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Wtf ? wrote: »
    The thought of SF getting ''inner access'' to our state sends shivers down my spine. Too many shadowy figures still in the backround pulling the strings.
    Give me a FF/FG plus whoever anytime.

Indeed, the idea that they'll release the files on the Dublin - Monaghan Bombings must be terrifying. :o

• Advertisement

Win win for Sinn Fein.

FF and FG in a coalition. SF the opposition. There'll be another GE this year and SF will get a few more seats.

Bambi wrote: »
    Indeed, the idea that they'll release the files on the Dublin - Monaghan Bombings must be terrifying. :o

I don't care about that I live in the now. ''Up the Ra'' cemented my thinking.

That's what gets you angry?

Not crooks and banks etc?

At least the shinners only got £26m

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The_Fitz wrote: »
    Win win for Sinn Fein.

FF and FG in a coalition. SF the opposition. There'll be another GE this year and SF will get a few more seats.

If there is a Gov formed between FF and FG (with support from a mudguard party or two) then it could be quite stable and last 4 or 5 years. They agree on most policies - only differ as to who gets the nice lucrative jobs. After all, FF supported FG for the last 4 years, and now with their trotters in the trough, they should just get along fine, as long as the mudguard party traps all the nasty stuff.

That's what gets you angry?

Not crooks and banks etc?

At least the shinners only got £26m
    So you admit SF are crooks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

And it only took one left party (Labour) to say they were going to go into opposition to bring about a hung Dail, and new GE.

FF or FG certainly wont offer a C&S support to SF.

And I don't see FF, FG and the greens forming a coalition. Have they taken down the posters yet?!?

I would not totally rule out the offer of a C&S from either.

One or the other,( most likely FF imo), could offer it where this time around the numbers would be much tighter on money bill and confidence votes whereby abstaining would, unlike last time still not guarantee government survival, by SF still needing the support of 24 other TD`s

charlie14 wrote: »
    I would not totally rule out the offer of a C&S from either.

One or the other,( most likely FF imo), could offer it where this time around the numbers would be much tighter on money bill and confidence votes whereby abstaining would, unlike last time still not guarantee government survival, by SF still needing the support of 24 other TD`s

No way. Look what supporting a fairly normal party like FG did for FF. Being seen to support SF and their less than economically sound policies would be ludicrous. And if the leader of FF said he has moral issues with SF how can he prop them up?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Win win for Sinn Fein.

FG are meeting Monday. They will possibly say "we lost the election, we are happy to take our beating, and will go into opposition"

They did say before the election they would only support FF as a last resort on a short term basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

All well and good for FF to do this, but they've screwed themselves with regards to the North now and power sharing.

Why should the DUP ever listen to them about going into government with SF, if FF won't do it themselves?

DrumSteve wrote: »
    All well and good for FF to do this, but they've screwed themselves with regards to the North now and power sharing.

They haven't - Northern Ireland is effectively a Super Council set up. It's not a government of a fully fledged country. It's Granny Smiths and Oranges (:pac:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

DrumSteve wrote: »

Why should the DUP ever listen to them about going into government with SF, if FF won't do it themselves?

Not the same. There is a forced marriage in the north.

This is a republic and it's for the parties to decide who goes in to government with who. The north is an irrelevance in terms of our government here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

This post is a contradiction of itself

If there is a Gov formed between FF and FG (with support from a mudguard party or two) then it could be quite stable and last 4 or 5 years. They agree on most policies - only differ as to who gets the nice lucrative jobs. After all, FF supported FG for the last 4 years, and now with their trotters in the trough, they should just get along fine, as long as the mudguard party traps all the nasty stuff.

The government will get on fine together for the main (except a lot of FF backbenchers who detest the idea of getting into bed with FG again). But there’ll be absolutely no change to what is happening in society that has made people turn to SF. That is the main point. People voted in larger numbers than ever before for change (obviously change doesn’t have a majority in the country but it’s looking like going that way).

SF will be laughing at this. Their manifesto was written for opposition.

FF should have got SF in then shafted them by taking credit for their policies if they worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

FF have rejected coalition with SF.
    FG should now step up with phrases like " national Interest", " protecting the economy" and "with a heavy heart" and offer themselves as a coalition partner to SF.
    See SF run a mile.
    FG look good. SF look bad. FF looks bad.
    FG now have a huge tactical advantage here.
    The electorate did not vote for a SF government. 75% voted against SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

easypazz wrote: »
    FG are meeting Monday. They will possibly say "we lost the election, we are happy to take our beating, and will go into opposition"
    They did say before the election they would only support FF as a last resort on a short term basis.
    I think FG will let FF takes the main role with Michael Martin as Taoiseach.
    We are in a boom. FF will get the blame for the next recession. FG then take over again.

So you admit SF are crooks ?

I think all politicians are crooks :)

Scoondal wrote: »
    FF have rejected coalition with SF.
    FG should now step up with phrases like " national Interest", " protecting the economy" and "with a heavy heart" and offer themselves as a coalition partner to SF.
    See SF run a mile.
    FG look good. SF look bad. FF looks bad.
    FG now have a huge tactical advantage here.
    The electorate did not vote for a SF government. 75% voted against SF.

The electorate did not vote for a FF government. 75% voted against FF.

Yet we might end up with FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

I think all politicians are crooks :)

That is incorrect andit is a typical politically populist comment that offers nothing to the electorate.
    Irish people are more intelligent than you might think. Most of us can see populist rubbish a mile away.

Scoondal wrote: »
    That is incorrect andit is a typical politically populist comment that offers nothing to the electorate.
    Irish people are more intelligent than you might think. Most of us can see populist rubbish a mile away.

It was a sweeping statement with absolutely zero analysis and conviction.

Hence the smiley.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

No way. Look what supporting a fairly normal party like FG did for FF. Being seen to support SF and their less than economically sound policies would be ludicrous. And if the leader of FF said he has moral issues with SF how can he prop them up?!?

My point was that unlike the C&S with FG, FF would not be solely in the position of keeping SF in government in that to do so on money bill and confidence votes would still require a further 24 TD`s support other than SF TD`s to do so.

Advertisement