Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Dail / New Taoiseach

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,348 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

kah22 wrote: »
    Riddle me this. Suppose there was a referendum called on how TD’s were to be elected to the Dáil, how would you vote: Keep the present system OR A first pass the post system like they have in Great Britain ?

Kevin

FPTP is a terrible anti democratic system that would hopefully be rejected by a vast majority of the electorate. Our system is the best there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It was not a change to FPTP but a change to single seat constituencies. The proposal was put by FF who thought that it would guarantee them a perpetual majority. It was rejected for precisely that reason.

There never was an attempt to go back to FPTP.

If we were to have a change, I would propose that the last action by the outgoing Dail would be to elect the Ceann Comhairle who would be the sole TD during the dissolution of the Dail. He/She would required to be non-party, and could not subsequently join a political party (just as the President is non-party). He/She would also not represent any constituency, as is the case with Senators. Obviously, (s)he would retire after the following dissolution of the Dail if (s)he is not re-elected.

Further, any act by a Minister during the dissolution and up to the formation of the new Gov would have a sunset effect, in that such acts would be required to be affirmed by the incoming Ministers, and by the Cabinet as a whole.

However, there are more important things to be achieved.
    Pretty sure this is FPTP.
    The Third Amendment of the Constitution Bill 1958 –
    At present, members of Dáil Éireann are elected on a system of proportional representation for constituencies returning at least three members, each voter having a single transferable vote. It is proposed in the Bill to abolish the system of proportional representation and to adopt, instead, a system of single-member constituencies, each voter having a single non-transferable vote. It is also proposed in the Bill to set up a Commission for the determination and revision of the constituencies, instead of having this done by the Oireachtas, as at present.
    And the second time, also FPTP
    The Fourth Amendment of the Constitution Bill, 1968, proposes –
    To substitute for the present system of voting at Dáil elections the "straight vote" system in single-member constituencies;

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

is_that_so wrote: »
    Pretty sure this is FPTP.

And the second time, also FPTP

You are correct, it is FPTP.

I have always assumed it was to create single seat constituencies, but it went further than I thought. No wonder it was rejected, as it was a bare faced power grab.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    FPTP is a terrible anti democratic system that would hopefully be rejected by a vast majority of the electorate. Our system is the best there is.

Judging by the results of the recent election I wouldn't be putting too much faith in the majority of the electorate!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Many of the Sinn Fein supporters on Twitter appear to be quite supportive of FPTP. Apparently getting elected on the 4th count via transferable votes doesn't count as much as getting elected with first preferences.

Seems to be one of the default criticisms aimed at any non-SF politicians these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You are correct, it is FPTP.

I have always assumed it was to create single seat constituencies, but it went further than I thought. No wonder it was rejected, as it was a bare faced power grab.

There are other options, including a list system. There are also mixed systems, a combination of say, five-seater constituencies and a list system.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

blanch152 wrote: »
    There are other options, including a list system. There are also mixed systems, a combination of say, five-seater constituencies and a list system.
    I'd be a fan of a list system as the theory is it makes TDs less beholden to parish pump politics.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

is_that_so wrote: »
    I'd be a fan of a list system as the theory is it makes TDs less beholden to parish pump politics.

That is the system that put Farage into the EU Parliament. He was always No. 1 on his parties list.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The ability to specific vote against a TD while still supporting their party is an essential feature and our system provides it adequately

Break county borders and go back to allowing 9 seat constituencies; it'll make the parish pump basically impossible to maintain and probably make it hard for some of the awful independents who get in on super-local votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

So nobody's totally happy with our pr system?
    There's hope for SF after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭kah22

Yes I’ve heard of the list system but I’ve no idea if it’s strengths and weakness

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Up to 1,000 people at the Sinn Fein meeting in Cork tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Up to 1,000 people at the Sinn Fein meeting in Cork tonight.

That's a big beerhall.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭kah22

Here is how the top 7 worked out

Fianna Fáil 37 (FF down one with election of Ceann Comhairle)
    Sinn Féin 37
    Fine Gael 35
    Green Party. 12
    Labour Party 6
    Social Democrats 6
    Solidarity–PBP. 5

So, let’s play a guessing game. Which of those parties would LOOSE most if they went into coalition.

My guess would be the Green Party, certainly if they went into coalition with FF & FG and I think SF would loose big time if they went into government with FF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

kah22 wrote: »
    Here is how the top 7 worked out

Fianna Fáil 37 (FF down one with election of Ceann Comhairle)
    Sinn Féin 37
    Fine Gael 35
    Green Party. 12
    Labour Party 6
    Social Democrats 6
    Solidarity–PBP. 5

So, let’s play a guessing game. Which of those parties would LOOSE most if they went into coalition.

My guess would be the Green Party, certainly if they went into coalition with FF & FG and I think SF would loose big time if they went into government with FF

Would the Green party really care?
    Their agenda is to get green policies enacted.

Their game plan at the moment is probably to see which coalition will enact as many green policies as possible and probably be sure to jump on ship to which ever collation finally makes it to government. Getting their policies enacted is more important to them that being in government, after all they are hardly likely to ever be in the situation where they will be a senior member of any coalition. If they can get thier changes now they will probably take that opportunity knowing that it might result in them not having a hope of being in a subsequent government.

The thing I dont get is why they are even considering supporting FG?
    FG policy is to tax carbon, with the belief that it will change consumer habits.
    But when there are very few alternatives this will not happen at all.
    They are not actually tackling climate change head on, instead preferring to let market forces sort it out. The market has no interest in sorting it out while there is profit to be made and very few penalties for continuing as is.

Public transport is running at or near capacity where it is available, but for the majority of the country public transport simply does not exist.
    I'm sure every family would love to be drive a new electric car, but how many can actually afford such a luxury? The cost of fully insulating old houses is beyond what most families can afford. Yes there are grants but they only cover a fraction of the cost, leaving most families paying more taxation with no actual benefit to the environment.

All that will be achieved is the tax man collecting a whole lot more revenue, while Ireland still continues with an economic model that is not very environmentally friendly.

My personal opinion is that all fuels and non recyclables must be fully taxed at source and that motor tax be abolished and instead transferred to the cost of fuel. Those that use private and commercial vehicles that use fossil fuels most would pay more, those that pollute most would pay most.

If one supermarket has to pay upfront the taxes on a products packaging that is not recyclable and incurs more environmental taxes before it is put on the shelf and another super market insists that all it product are packaged with recyclable materials guess who is going to win the business and have the lower overheads? At the moment retailers don't care because the total cost of environmental taxes is paid by consumers and it doesn't affect their business overheads.
    Unfortunately no party is advocating such a policy.

So its hard to see how the Greens would in anyway achieve their goals joining a FF/FG/Green coalition unless FG/FF were to do dramatic U-Turns on their environmental policies.

SF have taken a different view in that they do not believe taxing carbon has any real environmental effect.
    They wish to take on an approach where they will use incentives so that business, government bodies and the electorate will adopt more environmentally friendly spending, use of resources, and changes to existing practices. It all sound very good in practice but its thin on concrete detail.

They did release this report last year. For the most part it show they have the right ideas but again it has not translated into solid policies.
    https://www.sinnfein.ie/files/2019/Climate_Minority_Report1.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Efanton all the three FF, FG and the Greens agree on a carbon tax.

Water John wrote: »

And what will that achieve?

Will that improve the environment in any way at all?

Have FF and FG committed themselves to ring-fencing any carbon tax collected for environmental purposes?
    They have been quite happy to spend it on anything but the environment up until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Water John wrote: »

Will be good to see them trying to roll that one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Fn greens, nearly make me vote for SF if it would keep them out.
    But then SF would take them on too if it meant power.

efanton wrote: »
    And what will that achieve?

Will that improve the environment in any way at all?

Have FF and FG committed themselves to ring-fencing any carbon tax collected for environmental purposes?
    They have been quite happy to spend it on anything but the environment up until now.

Taxes change behaviours.

https://dash.harvard.edu/bitstream/handle/1/2943922/feldstein_fx%20of%20taxes.pdf?sequence=2&isAllowed=y

https://igees.gov.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Behavioural-Economics-and-Tax.pdf

"At a minimum, the carbon tax can be considered to be the purest corrective tax in the Irish tax system. "

https://www.esri.ie/system/files/publications/QEC2019SUM_SA_Lynch.pdf

"This work examined the impact of increased carbon taxation in Ireland, and
    quantified the impact of same on carbon emissions using Irish microlevel data for the first time. Our results find a 3.94 per cent reduction in carbon emissions if carbon taxes are increased by €30 per tonne, and an 10.24 per cent reduction in emissions if taxes are increased by €80 per tonne. The evidence suggests that carbon taxation is a valid and important part of climate policy"

• Advertisement

Those who oppose carbon taxes are those who oppose dealing with climate change.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I don't oppose either carbon taxes or water charges.

I do oppose the way water charges were rolled out here though, and I merely wondered would FG/FF/Gr's make the colossal mess of rolling out Carbon Taxes that FG made of WT's

What do you think?

not true.
    Actually doing something practical might help, lazy charging more taxes does not help.

Taxes change behaviours.

https://dash.harvard.edu/bitstream/handle/1/2943922/feldstein_fx%20of%20taxes.pdf?sequence=2&isAllowed=y

https://igees.gov.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Behavioural-Economics-and-Tax.pdf

"At a minimum, the carbon tax can be considered to be the purest corrective tax in the Irish tax system. "

https://www.esri.ie/system/files/publications/QEC2019SUM_SA_Lynch.pdf

"This work examined the impact of increased carbon taxation in Ireland, and
    quantified the impact of same on carbon emissions using Irish microlevel data for the first time. Our results find a 3.94 per cent reduction in carbon emissions if carbon taxes are increased by €30 per tonne, and an 10.24 per cent reduction in emissions if taxes are increased by €80 per tonne. The evidence suggests that carbon taxation is a valid and important part of climate policy"

I have no doubt that carbon taxes would change behaviour if there was an alternative.

What is the alternative to a car if you live in a rural area?
    Buy anew electric car? most families could only dream of doing so.
    So the result will be more taxes collected, but no positive impact on the environment.

The only way that taxation is going to have a real and significant benefit is to front load all carbon taxes and scrap the motor tax and transfer the loss in revenue to fuel prices.

Those that pollute most would pay most, and that would have the desired effect. Companies would find more efficient ways of transporting their goods.
    Ordinary people if they could not afford electric cars wouldnt be driving around in 2 litre Passat's or huge SUV's they would instead be driving cars with smaller engines.

If environmental taxes were front loaded in the retail sector you can bet your life that retailers would insist their supplier only use recyclable packaging.

At the moment businesses have no real incentive to go green. Any costs are simply passed on to the consumer. Turn that around where they pay all environmental taxes up front and then pass those costs on to the consumer and it will hit their operating costs. Very quickly we would see dramatic changes in packaging, the way good are transported, and how good are made.

I'm not defending any party's policies. SF dont have any solid policies as far as I can see and the rest are just paying lip service.

To be fair to FG and FF at least they have made a stab at costing some of their environmental policies.

The Greens policy on the other hand is a joke. Not one single measure in their entire manifesto has been costed.
    https://www.greenparty.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/GREEN_PARTY_TOWARDS_2030-WEB-VERSION.pdf

The Green manifesto is just one huge wishlist, uncosted, and worse than that for the most part totally unworkable. What they want to do in one decade would take any country decades to achieve. and even then most couldnt afford it.

In the mean time The Greens will run between parties hoping that some party will bite, the more desperate they are for the Green seats, the higher the cost will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Tax the little people that's your solution to everything blueshirts on bikes is all the greens are.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

EVs are great in rural Ireland. Unless you want a tow hitch and very few do.
    With specific farming methods I would be able to sequester over 4 tonnes on CO2 per acre per year. If you want to pay me €30 or better still €80 per tonne, I'll be delighted with a low carbon economy.
    To go towards carbon neutral will be a personal choice. The only two items a Govn't has to persuade you are the two old reliables, the carrot and the stick.

I have no doubt that carbon taxes would change behaviour if there was an alternative.

What is the alternative to a car if you live in a rural area?
    Buy anew electric car? most families could only dream of doing so.
    So the result will be more taxes collected, but no positive impact on the environment.

The only way that taxation is going to have a real and significant benefit is to front load all carbon taxes and scrap the motor tax and transfer the loss in revenue to fuel prices.

Those that pollute most would pay most, and that would have the desired effect. Companies would find more efficient ways of transporting their goods.
    Ordinary people if they could not afford electric cars wouldnt be driving around in 2 litre Passat's or huge SUV's they would instead be driving cars with smaller engines.

If environmental taxes were front loaded in the retail sector you can bet your life that retailers would insist their supplier only use recyclable packaging.

At the moment businesses have no real incentive to go green. Any costs are simply passed on to the consumer. Turn that around where they pay all environmental taxes up front and then pass those costs on to the consumer and it will hit their operating costs. Very quickly we would see dramatic changes in packaging, the way good are transported, and how good are made.

I'm not defending any party's policies. SF dont have any solid policies as far as I can see and the rest are just paying lip service.

To be fair to FG and FF at least they have made a stab at costing some of their environmental policies.

The Greens policy on the other hand is a joke. Not one single measure in their entire manifesto has been costed.
    https://www.greenparty.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/GREEN_PARTY_TOWARDS_2030-WEB-VERSION.pdf

The Green manifesto is just one huge wishlist, uncosted, and worse than that for the most part totally unworkable. What they want to do in one decade would take any country decades to achieve. and even then most couldnt afford it.

In the mean time The Greens will run between parties hoping that some party will bite, the more desperate they are for the Green seats, the higher the cost will be.

If a tax is put on something, or taken off, it will change behaviour. When motor tax was reduced to make diesel cars cheaper to tax, the proportion of diesels sold went to about 90% despite the fact that for low mileage use they were unsuitable.

If it were possible to implement the GP policy of low CO2 emissions, low nitrate use in farming, better insulation of houses and other premises, it would make costs much lower for most people. A house can be insulated so that heating cost is close the zero. However, it requires substantial investment to achieve that, and to retrofit is hugely more expensive that insulting a new build.

The GP are attacked because their message is more complicated than a three word slogan.

For example, trying to change beef production requires significant change to the current method, and is severely affected by the rush of dairy producers to increase herd numbers. Dairy producers produce calves that, if male, have almost no value since they are unsuitable for the suckler farmer. That will require changes by the dairy farmer to help the suckler farmer make the beef production profitable. Who is calling for that?

The grass production system using rye grass needs changing because rye grass works well with high use of nitrate fertiliser, but has a shallow root penetration. This makes for poor results during drought conditions, and poor recovery following flooding. Reseeding with mixed variety sward seed to give a much deeper rooting would reduce and perhaps eliminate the need for fertiliser altogether - so reducing a huge cost to the farmer.

Why do so few farmers grow their own potatoes and vegetables? There was a time not so long ago when all farmers had a 'garden' that grew their requirement for potatoes, carrots, parsnips, turnips, onions, cabbage, etc. They would also keep chickens for the pot and for eggs, and some kept a few pigs as well. Of course that was before the Single Farm Payment.

Why is it so hard to get public transport initiatives into practice? Galway is looking to build a motorway bypass, rather than put in a decent public transport system No buses go across the Quincentennial bridge connecting the west side of the city to the east side. Why is that? The bridge was built nearly forty years ago. Could they not try a few routes and see what happens?

It is this kind of detail changes that are needed throughout the economy, and that cannot be achieved in a week, or a year, or even a decade. It need to become second nature that care for the planet comes before economic growth.

Green policies not only might save the planet, they might actually make our lives better.

[By the way, I am not a GP member].

If a tax is put on something, or taken off, it will change behaviour. When motor tax was reduced to make diesel cars cheaper to tax, the proportion of diesels sold went to about 90% despite the fact that for low mileage use they were unsuitable.

If it were possible to implement the GP policy of low CO2 emissions, low nitrate use in farming, better insulation of houses and other premises, it would make costs much lower for most people. A house can be insulated so that heating cost is close the zero. However, it requires substantial investment to achieve that, and to retrofit is hugely more expensive that insulting a new build.

The GP are attacked because their message is more complicated than a three word slogan.

For example, trying to change beef production requires significant change to the current method, and is severely affected by the rush of dairy producers to increase herd numbers. Dairy producers produce calves that, if male, have almost no value since they are unsuitable for the suckler farmer. That will require changes by the dairy farmer to help the suckler farmer make the beef production profitable. Who is calling for that?

The grass production system using rye grass needs changing because rye grass works well with high use of nitrate fertiliser, but has a shallow root penetration. This makes for poor results during drought conditions, and poor recovery following flooding. Reseeding with mixed variety sward seed to give a much deeper rooting would reduce and perhaps eliminate the need for fertiliser altogether - so reducing a huge cost to the farmer.

Why do so few farmers grow their own potatoes and vegetables? There was a time not so long ago when all farmers had a 'garden' that grew their requirement for potatoes, carrots, parsnips, turnips, onions, cabbage, etc. They would also keep chickens for the pot and for eggs, and some kept a few pigs as well. Of course that was before the Single Farm Payment.

Why is it so hard to get public transport initiatives into practice? Galway is looking to build a motorway bypass, rather than put in a decent public transport system No buses go across the Quincentennial bridge connecting the west side of the city to the east side. Why is that? The bridge was built nearly forty years ago. Could they not try a few routes and see what happens?

It is this kind of detail changes that are needed throughout the economy, and that cannot be achieved in a week, or a year, or even a decade. It need to become second nature that care for the planet comes before economic growth.

Green policies not only might save the planet, they might actually make our lives better.

[By the way, I am not a GP member].

I agree with everything you have said, lots of changes do need to take place.
    We have lots of government that are only too happy to collect carbon taxes, but I bet if you asked them where all that money went it certainly would not be on environmental initiatives. Thats why I am against them personally, in the form that they are in.

As long as they are paid by the consumer, there will be no real change, and the money collected will never go to providing extra public transport, toward the agricultural community in the form of grants so that they can change farming practices or provide substantial grants so that the those that own exiting homes that need re-insulating can afford to do so.
    What is the point of a carbon tax if people can't afford an alternative or have no access to an alternative.

Like I have said, carbon taxes at the consumer level are the worst possible way of getting the change that needs to happen to happen quick. Better to put those taxes at source so that retailers and companies see it affecting there operating costs and make changes to avoid these costs where possible. They will pass on the taxes to the consumer anyhow so it will not affect their profit margin, but they will have a huge incentive to reduce their operating costs by using recyclable packaging , using more environment materials in the manufacturing process, or reducing their cost in transport

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I agree with everything you have said, lots of changes do need to take place.
    We have lots of government that are only too happy to collect carbon taxes, but I bet if you asked them where all that money went it certainly would not be on environmental initiatives. Thats why I am against them personally, in the form that they are in.

As long as they are paid by the consumer, there will be no real change, and the money collected will never go to providing extra public transport, toward the agricultural community in the form of grants so that they can change farming practices or provide substantial grants so that the those that own exiting homes that need re-insulating can afford to do so.
    What is the point of a carbon tax if people can't afford an alternative or have no access to an alternative.

Like I have said, carbon taxes at the consumer level are the worst possible way of getting the change that needs to happen to happen quick. Better to put those taxes at source so that retailers and companies see it affecting there operating costs and make changes to avoid these costs where possible. They will pass on the taxes to the consumer anyhow so it will not affect their profit margin, but they will have a huge incentive to reduce their operating costs by using recyclable packaging , using more environment materials in the manufacturing process, or reducing their cost in transport

You can put whatever levies you like on on companies and retailers, at the end of the day it will still be the end user that pays.
    Simplest solution is to ring-fence carbon tax for use only in specified areas.

• Advertisement

charlie14 wrote: »
    You can put whatever levies you like on on companies and retailers, at the end of the day it will still be the end user that pays.
    Simplest solution is to ring-fence carbon tax for use only in specified areas.

I think you missed my point.
    Yes the consumer will end up paying any taxes retailers incur, but if the retailer has to pay those taxes upfront before putting goods on their shelves it will hit their operating costs.

Think of it from a retailers point of view he has a choice of two products from two suppliers, one has recyclable packaging the other doesn't. He is going to have to spend more of his operating capital on one because it incurs a levy and less on the other that doesn't incur a levy but still end up making the same profit which ever he chooses. Which one will the retailer choose?

Advertisement