Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10 S mode

Options
  • 09-02-2020 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

So I bought a new laptop recently (Lenovo Ideapad S340) and it came with windows s mode:

"Windows 10 in S mode is a version of Windows 10 that's streamlined for security and performance, while providing a familiar Windows experience. To increase security, it allows only apps from the Microsoft Store, and requires Microsoft Edge for safe browsing."

It's quite annoying as I can't install any other internet browser. I can switch it to normal but the switch only goes one way.

Should I do it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

What browser do you want to switch to? Edge and Chrome are pretty much the exact same thing, once you upgrade to the Chromium version

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

I really like the new edge browser. I'm thinking of switching from chrome to Edge. I'd recommend giving it a go. If it's a deal breaker, your only option is to switch from S mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭kirving

It's most helpful for kids or people less experienced with Windows, since there's less chance of messing something up.

If you find it annoying, then best to switch out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

mc25 wrote: »
    Should I do it?

Definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

ED E wrote: »
    Definitely.

It's not definite though. Leaving the laptop in S mode makes sure the user (whether op or other users of the laptop) won't install loads of 3rd party apps that run on startup or install add ons or toolbars..so the laptop should perform as new for longer.

Edge is based in chromium and is optimised for Windows 10 so I'd suggest the op give it a go, as long as the op isn't too invested in google's infrastructure (google profile, passwords, payment details etc)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Why do you care what someone installs onto a laptop, of it's something they intend to use? I'd hate to be locked in on the windows store. Along with not having choices of what I want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Why do you care what someone installs onto a laptop, of it's something they intend to use? I'd hate to be locked in on the windows store. Along with not having choices of what I want to do.

Couldn't agree more! it's the same as Apple blocking non appstore apps being installed (without having to jailbreak the device). At least Android will allow you to install stuff outside Google Play....but have to change a few settings.

I have so much bootlegged s/w on my computers that if I switched to S Mode, they'd grow legs and run to the nearest Garda station and hand themselves in as being pirates :D

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mc25

Thanks for the feedback all :)

I might switch it now because I can't even get a decent pdf reader from the Microsoft store, and there's a citation manager I need for work that I can't use either.

That and I don't really care about the laptop running like new for longer!

Advertisement