Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire alarms all went off during night

Options
  • 09-02-2020 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭

All of our SGD1236 photoelectric smoke alarms went off during the middle of the night. Everyone was asleep at the time.
    The only way I could stop them was by unscrewing them all from the mains.
    The final alarm, in the attic, continued to go off after unscrewing it, until I removed the battery.
    Does anyone have a theory what it could be?
    The alarms were installed during a major renovation (including rewiring) about eight months ago.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

All of our SGD1236 photoelectric smoke alarms went off during the middle of the night. Everyone was asleep at the time.
    The only way I could stop them was by unscrewing them all from the mains.
    The final alarm, in the attic, continued to go off after unscrewing it, until I removed the battery.
    Does anyone have a theory what it could be?
    The alarms were installed during a major renovation (including rewiring) about eight months ago.

They are all interlinked so if one activated then they’ll all sound
    There should however be an indicator light on the one that activated to assist you in identifying the source. Refit them .it may be prudent to replace all the batteries beforehand though.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

Alot of wind last night;
    Is there houses close to yours or slightly lower in height as I reckon it could have been chimney smoke from a neighbouring house which was blown by the wind in to your attic space triggering the smoke alarm

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Richard Roma

Cheers. I don’t think so because the houses on both sides of us are currently empty. I wonder whether dust could have gotten in to it. I’d been rooting around the attic a few hours beforehand.

quote="LenWoods;112495647"]Alot of wind last night;
    Is there houses close to yours or slightly lower in height as I reckon it could have been chimney smoke from a neighbouring house which was blown by the wind in to your attic space triggering the smoke alarm[/quote]

Advertisement