Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lodgers.... am i being unreasonable....

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Caranica wrote: »
    Am I missing something here? Not too many dishes you can cook and consume in 30 minutes. Yes there are stir-fry dishes and sandwiches and snacks but unless you're relying on processed food 30 minutes is ridiculous.

Especially when another rule says only lodgers who work 9-5 Monday to Friday, so everyone is wanting to use the kitchen at the same time, use showers at the same time etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Am I missing something here? Not too many dishes you can cook and consume in 30 minutes. Yes there are stir-fry dishes and sandwiches and snacks but unless you're relying on processed food 30 minutes is ridiculous.
    Yes, 1 hour would be more reasonable to allow for a decent dinner to be made, I think the point is that there is a limitation set & a certain amount of leeway can be given by the owner

James 007 wrote: »
    Yes, 1 hour would be more reasonable to allow for a decent dinner to be made, I think the point is that there is a limitation set & a certain amount of leeway can be given by the owner

If there’s 2 or 3 other lodgers all working 9-5 and allowed an hour each of kitchen time, it’s going to be 8pm before one of them gets their allocated cooking slot, that’s a long time to wait for food.

In my case its slightly different, I plan to give my tenants their own kitchen, with a 4 ring induction hobb, link below, so at least 2 tenants can cook at the same time which is not so bad.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057869082&page=6

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Silverfish wrote: »
    If there’s 2 or 3 other lodgers all working 9-5 and allowed an hour each of kitchen time, it’s going to be 8pm before one of them gets their allocated cooking slot, that’s a long time to wait for food.

Do people really need exclusive kitchen use though? I've done house shares and student housing and multiple people cooking at the same time is usually possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah I've often being able to work around people. May not be able to cook an elaborate meal but there's usually a space on the hob to boil something in a pot or throw something in the microwave. Or possible for more than one person to use an oven at the same time.

I guess some people can take the piss though. I definitely remember sharing with people on occasion who would completely take over the kitchen to cook overly elaborate meals on a regular basis.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Ok don't believe me and that means the OP is taking part in tax fraud. Happy now?

From taxback.com
    I want to rent to a family member. Will I have to pay tax on this?
    Yes. Tax will be due if you rent property to a member of your family.

It's also important to note that if you are renting out a room in your home to your son or daughter you will not be able to avail of rent-a-room relief. However, there is no rent-a-room relief restriction if you are letting a room to other family members.

Unless you provide a link proving your claim, then how can you say it's accurate? You wont find a link though that I can guarantee you. I'm shocked other posters are not pointing the error you are making.

Do people really need exclusive kitchen use though? I've done house shares and student housing and multiple people cooking at the same time is usually possible.

Of course yeah, I’m trying to point out that limiting kitchen use times between certain hours of the day is unfair and unnecessary

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

From taxback.com

Unless you provide a link proving your claim, then how can you say it's accurate? You wont find a link though that I can guarantee you. I'm shocked other posters are not pointing the error you are making.

So the op is likely to be taking part in tax fraud like I said. You were happy to ignore other laws on tenants rights and state they should deceive people. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of your views.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭moans3536

To the home owner, you should consider signing up to ' Hostingpower.ie it is for short term house share, - rent a room .

hosting power check the student etc and there is a clear set of house rules drawn up beforehand.

My son is a student and has used this site previously to rent a room near college for short term let.

• Advertisement

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    So the op is likely to be taking part in tax fraud like I said. You were happy to ignore other laws on tenants rights and state they should deceive people. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of your views.

No where did the op suggest the people he is renting from don't pay tax.

I never said I wasn't happy to ignore it if they weren't paying tax btw just that you should be aware that renting to a family member is not exempt from tax.

Silverfish wrote: »
    Of course yeah, I’m trying to point out that limiting kitchen use times between certain hours of the day is unfair and unnecessary
    If the owner needs the kitchen then I don't believe it to be unfair. They could limit use between 5-9pm weekdays (rent can be reduced too to reflect this), or they could limit time cooking. Its unfair if someone cooks an elaborate meal that takes a few hours. I used to live with a dutch guy who used to make his own bread, it used to be 2 hours in an oven, probably did it 2-3 times a week. Also he was & still is going out with an Indian girl, guess what he was cooking for probably 2 hours each night. The rules are there to prevent excessive use and to give others a chance to cook too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,212 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

People think its a great idea rent part of your house so you can spend a few extra weeks a year in the Algarve or otherwise move up the poshness ladder. Then act surprised when they actually have to live with the people they rent it to.

People think its a great idea rent part of your house so you can spend a few extra weeks a year in the Algarve or otherwise move up the poshness ladder. Then act surprised when they actually have to live with the people they rent it to.

There is nothing to stop an owner reducing hours use in a kitchen, or restricting certain rooms for their own use & privacy or reducing tenant to 5 days a week with free reign for the owner over the weekend provided the rent is reduced to reflect this inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

This is a typical I want my own space but do not want to pay for it or I want extra money for my lifestyle. A few years ago my eldest lad rented a room off an owner/occupier. He worked night intermittently here nephew and nieces used to come into the house to lounge about and watch TV during the summer. If you are renting you are entitled to live in the house.....I think

I cannot make out the hell you are saying, whose nieces? your sons? where was he working? oh, here? well where the hell is that?
    Correct, if they are renting, they are entitled to live in the house, but as lodgers, there are less rights.

The OP's lodger doesn't seem to have spent six months in the house so it's not an issue yet.
    riclad wrote: »

They never seem to be able to get it right, After the limit tax should apply, it would be more sensible and likely bring more tax in if they just cottoned on to the fact that people would do the right thing if facilitated to do it. Up to the limit of 14k should be tax free and after that tax should be based on possibly your marginal rate, now if you go 1cent over, its all taxed, mind numbingly dumb.

I never had an issue with this when letting rooms, but I did have some problem people, cooking wasnt a problem, people just worked it out. Some people even clubbed in together and cooked meals jointly, I know I did when house sharing myself. The problem is when you get someone who takes over, they usually do it everywhere, they take over the shower, the living room, the kitchen, lay out the rules in advance and then give them a reminder. Leaving a door unlocked or a window open is a big no no, one warning ad if it happens a second time, Id consider telling them to pack their bags and go in 24hrs as its just not worth the risk of getting cleared out. It is just plain stupid to be so careless with a number of peoples items, when people have laptops, phones, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,212 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

There is nothing to stop an owner reducing hours use in a kitchen, or restricting certain rooms for their own use & privacy or reducing tenant to 5 days a week with free reign for the owner over the weekend provided the rent is reduced to reflect this inconvenience.

They can do all sorts of thing but when it gets overburdened with rules nobody will want to live there and yer man will be back to square one

Used to work in a place before where the office was rented from a guy who used the lion's share of the building for his own business. It was a pain in the arse with the amount of grovelling and complaining he did. Basically could not stomach the tenants at all despite they doing nothing wrong. Glaringly obvious he thought it would be free money into his bank account every month with 0 effort or compromise.

People rush into this renting out craic and gloss over the implications of it

They can do all sorts of thing but when it gets overburdened with rules nobody will want to live there and yer man will be back to square one

People rush into this renting out craic and gloss over the implications of it

I don't agree, a set of boundaries are good to have, and are only required in the event of a certain level of exploitation by tenants/lodgers/licencees. Those very same people that rush into this renting craic without having boundaries set out clearly are those that seem to end up with either disputes, living constraints and a certain level of unhappiness

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Its a simple rule only use the kitchen for cooking, or eating.
    no laptops allowed.the kitchen is not a work space.
    she could go the library or a coffee shop if she wants to work on a laptop .
    Its not fair on the other lodgers having the kitchen used as a work space ,
    i cannot see the other lodgers objecting to one rule .
    the trick is to interview people first, eg where do you work, do you work from home, is it 9 to 5 pm,etc
    no landlord wants a lodger who spend ,s hours in the kitchen .
    IF you live with a lodger you do not want someone who stays a home during the day , it will cause hassle or problems for the other tenants .
    you wont make much profit,this person will have the heat on all day.
    you are
    not a social worker or a charity , you are just trying to reduce expense and
    pay off part of the mortgage .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

its a question of sharing and give and take - its a business and living arrangement so both sides need to feel that they are being treated fairly and getting value for money and living easily in theor new arrangement.

Most people don’t knock off at exactly 5 nor go home directly every night so there is flexability there with cooking but meeting someone halfway and being able to work out adult compromise without either struggling or being dominated is fair on everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Corbother

I would love to hear some opinions!

We recently took two lodgers to help us save to buy a house.
    I'm really regretting one of them...

She never leaves the house, works at the dining table in the kitchen/diner and sits there for hours, turns the heat on way too high and leaves it running...

I know none of these is a serious issue, could be way worse etc.

the problem is there is a bit of an atmosphere now...
    I spoke to her about the heating and she seems to be in a huff, I find we're avoiding each other.. its not fun... not sure what to do!

anyone have any experience with lodgers? Did you set rules about heating/use of shared spaces etc?

thanks!

As already said. It just hasn't worked out. She's not compatible unfortunately.

No money is worth that uneasy, tense atmosphere in your home. Time to move her on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,556 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

riclad wrote: »
    Its a simple rule only use the kitchen for cooking, or eating.
    no laptops allowed.the kitchen is not a work space.
    she could go the library or a coffee shop if she wants to work on a laptop
    Its not fair on the other lodgers having the kitchen used as a work space ,
    i cannot see the other lodgers objecting to one rule .
    the trick is to interview people first, eg where do you work, do you work from home, is it 9 to 5 pm,etc
    no landlord wants a lodger who spend ,s hours in the kitchen .
    IF you live with a lodger you do not want someone who stays a home during the day , it will cause hassle or problems for the other tenants .
    you wont make much profit,this person will have the heat on all day.
    you are
    not a social worker or a charity , you are just trying to reduce expense and
    pay off part of the mortgage .

So I am paying 150euro+/week in Dublin or 100+ else where in the country and I cannot treat it I live there. Loads of people nowadays work from home, try to further there Education qualification etc. No landlord GAF what happens as long as the rent is paid. This is subletting as in tenant finds they cannot afford the rent and decides they wish to move another tenant in. Even if it a rent a room scheme the reality is unless you are giving a huge discount to normal rental charges you do not have the right to dictate terms.

This smacks of we want our own space but we do not/cant not pay for it.

Slava Ukrainii

So I am paying 150euro+/week in Dublin or 100+ else where in the country and I cannot treat it I live there. Loads of people nowadays work from home, try to further there Education qualification etc. No landlord GAF what happens as long as the rent is paid. This is subletting as in tenant finds they cannot afford the rent and decides they wish to move another tenant in. Even if it a rent a room scheme the reality is unless you are giving a huge discount to normal rental charges you do not have the right to dictate terms.

I don't agree, if a tenant lives with a landlord the landlord has every right to have certain rules in place, these are not restrictions as such just fair rules so that there are no confrontational issues. Also if a tenant is paying a fixed fee for gas/elec then the landlord has a right to ensure that additional costs are added to cover extra usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

That could apply equally to either party in these scenarios.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

This not just sub letting?

In fairness you can't be using the kitchen table for working from home in a shared house, its totally impractical and unfair on other people living there. Having the laptop on the table to watch something while eating, fair enough but you can't expect to be allowed to take over the table for the day/evening for work. You generally can't do that unless you live alone, as a couple/family will need the table during the evening etc.

Get a desk in your room for study/work from home like the vast majority do. This is such a basic rule I'm surprised it needs to be stated, no body ever took over the kitchen table in any shared house I was in for doing things like work or study.

I dont see the issue, a home owner or lease holder is entitled to rent rooms and set rules to make it as much as possible like they have their own space. That's sort of why many do it and have things like mon-fri lets etc. Being the owner entitles you to make the rules and set things up to have the least impact on you as possible while still taking in extra money.

In fairness you can't be using the kitchen table for working from home in a shared house, its totally impractical and unfair on other people living there. Having the laptop on the table to watch something while eating, fair enough but you can't expect to be allowed to take over the table for the day/evening for work. You generally can't do that unless you live alone, as a couple/family will need the table during the evening etc.

Get a desk in your room for study/work from home like the vast majority do. This is such a basic rule I'm surprised it needs to be stated, no body ever took over the kitchen table in any shared house I was in for doing things like work or study.

I dont see the issue, a home owner or lease holder is entitled to rent rooms and set rules to make it as much as possible like they have their own space. That's sort of why many do it and have things like mon-fri lets etc. Being the owner entitles you to make the rules and set things up to have the least impact on you as possible while still taking in extra money.
    Totally agree with all these points, at the end of the day the owner decides. Once the rules/guidelines are all made visible to a prospective tenant/lodger then they then can decide whether they are getting a reasonable offer with regards to the rent & with the rules/guidelines. This way there can be no come back from either party

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Fluffingtons, I hope you got it sorted out.

Advertisement