Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Brewers ....?

Options
  • 09-02-2020 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭

Does ye trub ever block ye sink?

Reason I ask us that I'm for ever battling with my sink. I don't know if I even remember a time when it emptied nicely. I've tried all sorts.

Just putting a brew on and I realised how the trub from my FV stuck to the plastic spoon I uck it out with. Sticks to the ceramic of the sink. Wonder what it might be doing down the pipes :rolleyes: And, that's the only thing going down there. Water, soap and trub. No fat.

Common sense tells me I must have nailed it. Just wondering if anyone else found it. Them 'Drain Guns' any good :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭raxy

I've never had trouble with it but I always add water to the FV & mix it up so its more liquid when dumping it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Stigura

Yeah ..... This stuff's absolute bloody murder! Water? It Laughs in the face of water! It's like ..... I dunno what!

Let me just run it past ye that I'm doing Coopers. Thankfully in stainless steel fv's. I mean; If anyone ever did this stuff in a carboy or jerry can? They'd be stuffed! Need a pressure washer to shift this stuff. It's so Thick! Tenacious schit!

I'm imagining yours is more washy then? I don't remember encountering anything like this when I used to use other kits.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭raxy

I do all grain brewing but I used to use those kits when I started brewing. The cans of malt are really thick but when you mix it with boiling water they should water done easy enough with a good swirl of the bucket.
    After fermentation it shouldn't be any different to an all grain brew.

:confused: Crazy. This Must be something particular to Coopers so. This stuff is off the charts.

I mean, seriously; When I come to washing out the other FV ~ probably in the next few days ~ I'll actually Film this stuff! It's incredible! Ye'll see how a well running tap struggles to push it off the plastic spoon. Then, it just begrudgingly plops onto the ceramic and sticks to that!

What do ye imagine might be causing this? The yeast? The higher temp I ferment at? The conical bottom of the FV? All three?

What ever. It's clearly what's up with my sink. The U Trap's clean as a whistle. I can only imagine this stuff's causing a blockage further down the plastic pipes. Sticks like schit to a plastic spoon? Hard to wash off? Hardly rocket science, is it? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Fill the FV with boiling water, give it a good stir to break up the trub as much as possible and pour it down the toilet instead of the sink ;)

• Advertisement

Sleepy, can I take it you do a bit? :) Only, I showed Raxy the actual and he came up with an interesting idea, in PM. Only, I think making our own beer may be stretching the idea of " DIY " a bit! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I brew from kits mainly but I also have a marine fish tank that the other half insists I don't despoil her kitchen sink with when doing water changes ;)

Ye Inbox is full ;)

Advertisement