Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wet patches under window in extension build

• 09-02-2020 7:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Building an extension at the moment.Its at first fix stage.

Afte tthe wild weather at the weekend I noticed 3 wet patches under a large window, in a line. See here:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WLXNE5qurxC1yJFarzRL5PRiBGpbugE0/view?usp=sharing

The line is roughly at the level where the cill would sit, the outside cill is approx 150mm thick.. There is red brick to the outside and its siliconed on the outside to the top and sides but not the bottom. There is def DPC, I can see it under the cill to the outside.

Wind and rain was pretty side-ways over the weekend, but would not expect such wet patches...

Will get the builder to check obviously but I don't have 100% trust in him to be honest.
    What would cause this? Might it just need some silcone to the bottom of the frame?

Thanks!

I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Who2

ravendude wrote: »
    Hi,
    Building an extension at the moment.Its at first fix stage.

Afte tthe wild weather at the weekend I noticed 3 wet patches under a large window, in a line. See here:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WLXNE5qurxC1yJFarzRL5PRiBGpbugE0/view?usp=sharing

The line is roughly at the level where the cill would sit, the outside cill is approx 150mm thick.. There is red brick to the outside and its siliconed on the outside to the top and sides but not the bottom. There is def DPC, I can see it under the cill to the outside.

Wind and rain was pretty side-ways over the weekend, but would not expect such wet patches...

Will get the builder to check obviously but I don't have 100% trust in him to be honest.
    What would cause this? Might it just need some silcone to the bottom of the frame?

Thanks!

I
    More than likely the dpc wasn’t wrapped properly up around the cill, it was then just filled up against with concrete and soaking straight through to the inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ravendude

Who2 wrote: »
    More than likely the dpc wasn’t wrapped properly up around the cill, it was then just filled up against with concrete and soaking straight through to the inside.

Hmm., looking at some diagram there, this seems to make sense.
    Presume the only remediation is to pull out the windows, sort and refit?
    I suspect the builder will be proposing "a bit of silicone" or something like that :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Who2

If it was my own I’d be breaking back the inside leaf under the bottom of window first to see if that is the problem( just down to the first block or the line that the damp is) and go from there.

Advertisement