Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Last of the Summer Wine

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Is there a km/miles mix up going on this week ;)

Is there? What are miles anyway? :confused:

Murph_D wrote: »
    Is there? What are miles anyway? :confused:

Edit: Get you now. Well spotted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Edit: Get you now. Well spotted!

Nothing gets by his Eagle eyes:eek:

Thu 22 Apr

6.5k recovery (no HRM)

A few slow miles on the now regular Marino Institute/Charlemont/St. Vincent's loop.

Fri 23 Apr

3.8k recovery (no HRM)

Short outing just to try out some new shoes, Adidas SL20, which I picked up on sale. They’re black with a multicoloured sole. Disco shoes. Nice!

Sat 24 Apr

Boards 5k TT: 20:26

I haven’t made any secret of my dread of this one, but finally it was time. At least I’d get it out of the way early in the day, which has been the rule for all of my lockdown TTs to date.

Just a banana and some water before driving to St. Anne’s for a 7am start. A minute or two late after a last-minute pitstop but the starter - Ferris, with stopwatch and bike - had kindly waited. I’d had a decent enough dynamic warmup with some strides, so the body was as ready as it was going to be, after some good training over the last few months, even if the last few weeks were injury-interrupted and a bit disjointed.

Set off around the parkrun course, settling in fairly well to the first km, which clocked around 4:02, so no problem with going out too fast anyway. I don’t seem to have much tolerance for discomfort at the moment however. The second km felt harder than it should, despite a good bit of it being on the downward drag of the main Avenue. I was glancing at the watch at the splits. This one came in 4:09 - not good, but maybe a bit off as I’d made the time back at halfway, the timekeeper calling 9:58, 9:59 as we reached the designated tree. Could I keep it going for lap 2? L, M and D had joined for some support before and during their own runs, which was very welcome. I got some good shouts here, heading up the drag past the dog park.

This is always the worst part of the course and the hurt was starting to bite. I could feel myself slowing but knew the worst would be over after a couple more turns. 4:20 split - uh oh - for km 3. I don’t think this fully registered with me, because the alarms were starting to go off all over the place. I’d given a Swashbuckler-inspired pep talk to my legs, lungs, heart and head before the off, but the signals between them seemed to be getting mixed up. Then the dry heaves started. As a few of ye know and some have witnessed, this is a recurring problem for me, while racing anything between 2 miles to 10k especially. It’s distressing and undignified, but more importantly it's debilitating. It might sound like an excuse, and I tried my best to run through it, but I think I always lose a few seconds per bout, and it was coming in waves. The only way to stave it off seems to be to get the HR down slightly - in other words, slow down. So km 4, despite M’s shouts to dig in and do the job, was a bit of a sh!t show, and the 4:14 split meant I was surely finished as far as the sub-20 was concerned. The last km is favourable, mostly long and straight and down the avenue. By now I was in a world of distress and definitely feeling sorry for myself. I was picking it up but still being seized by the heaves. It felt very stop start. With about 500m to go I suddenly decided I’d had enough, but a nearby L and C weren’t having any of it and made sure I kept turning it over. Inevitably, with the end in sight, I was able to finish hard, but far too little, and far too late.

I’d said to Ferris beforehand that I might continue past the finish line to ensure the watch clicked to 5k, but there was nothing left for such luxuries and I chose instead to collapse onto the damp and cooling grass.

Target: 19:55
    Actual: 20:26
    AG: 78.14%
    Verdict: Ugly barf-fest

It felt like I’d given it everything, but yet I was able to cool down with a couple of miles that should have felt harder than they did. No real post race burn. So I think I need to be braver, but also find a way around these damn heaves. It used to be stitches, but now this seems to be my curse. Am I the only one who gets them?

And yet it was great to be doing something hard and painful, and I'm glad to be out there having a go. Fair play to the organisers for the motivation. Total for the morning: 11.6k

Sun 25 Apr

LR 19.6k easy (71% HRR)

Another beautiful morning. Ran up through Phibsborough and Cabra to the Phoenix Park. The Cabra Gate was closed but I managed to squeeze around a barrier at the side. :cool: Wasn’t sure what was going on - North Road was deserted, then remembered they are doing some roadworks and it was blocked off. Squeezed around another barrier (it’s Ireland, and I wasn’t the only one) near the Visitor Centre and did a lap of the ‘Lainey Loop’. There was a bit of a breeze up and I thought it would be a challenging enough route today for a TT, but it looks like she did just fine. :) Back down the N Road - would be a great place for a weekend session at the moment, I’d say. Was plodding along slowly enough but the HR was a little higher than normal after yesterday’s exertions I suppose.

And that’s that. What next?

This week:
    Easy/Rec: 356 mins (94%)
    Moderate/Hard: 24 mins (6%)

This week: 68k (42m)
    This month: 203 (126)
    This year: 1,109 (689)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Well done for toughing it out D.

You finished strong and you’ll be sub 20 soon for sure

TbL

Haha the Lainey loop, love it :D

Yep well done for fighting through it, defo a sub 20 on the horizon :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Not to get too philosophical on you but what's the draw of the 5k for you? Is it the normal marathoners approach of splitting the year between alternating marathon blocks and Speed work?

Fair play on the run. I think you're better at it than you think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hmm sounds like the sub 20 is less of a training/engine issue than it is a breathing issue?

Hmm sounds like the sub 20 is less of a training/engine issue than it is a breathing issue?

Why breathing? Are you linking it to the heaves? Intrigued! I’ll try anything.

• Advertisement

Not to get too philosophical on you but what's the draw of the 5k for you? Is it the normal marathoners approach of splitting the year between alternating marathon blocks and Speed work?

Fair play on the run. I think you're better at it than you think.

Not sure that the 5k has any real draw, apart from the satisfaction on the rare occasions when I manage to pull one off well. Also, it’s one of only two distances where I’ve managed the (admittedly fairly arbitrary) Round Number that used to be a thing around here. The satisfaction of that original sub-20, more than three years ago now, will always be a running highlight. Have only managed it once more since.

But yes - I suppose ultimately 5k training is a means to an end for me - whether it’s building strength and endurance for shorter events like 800m, or ‘speed’ for longer events like the marathon. In that sense the 5k result itself isn’t particularly important.

I appreciate the kind words, and while I know I can execute a 5k reasonably well and better than many (78% AG is no easy run) it’s still not as good as I’d like it to be. I can tell from the cooldown, and how I felt running 12 miles the next day - should I be able to do that at all? - that there was more in the tank.

Why breathing? Are you linking it to the heaves? Intrigued! I’ll try anything.

Honestly, this is probably more of an S&C question... just to confuse it more :p

When we fatigue our posture and form goes to crap. The better your core strength, the better it holds up. Think about your posture breaking down (think falling back to your heels, starting to lean, arms flailing etc..) you constrict your lungs when they need the most room. I mentioned on DGs log that I was dreaming about running around a track last night as I had watched Michael Johnson clips recently. It was always so pronounced that his body and head were tall and solid while his legs and arms churned.

Honestly, this is probably more of an S&C question... just to confuse it more :p

When we fatigue our posture and form goes to crap. The better your core strength, the better it holds up. Think about your posture breaking down (think falling back to your heels, starting to lean, arms flailing etc..) you constrict your lungs when they need the most room. I mentioned on DGs log that I was dreaming about running around a track last night as I had watched Michael Johnson clips recently. It was always so pronounced that his body and head were tall and solid while his legs and arms churned.

Well OK, wouldn’t disagree with any of that, and I’m not a dedicated S&C person, but now I’m intrigued about how you can make the diagnosis without at least seeing the form. Is it somehow inferable from something I’ve posted?

Well OK, wouldn’t disagree with any of that, and I’m not a dedicated S&C person, but now I’m intrigued about how you can make the diagnosis without at least seeing the form. Is it somehow inferable from something I’ve posted?

More of my own experience of being an asthmatic and starting to wheeze. I've found that finding a rhythm with breathing and cadence really helps. When I'm fatigued and lose it I often take one or 2 deep breaths to reset. The act of taking the deep breath pushes my chest out and straightens me up. I'm only suggesting it as something to try out.

Inference no. Just when you mentioned you invariable take your pace back a notch and it calms down. Effectively you are relaxing your system. A deep breath literally does the same thing. It tells your brain all is ok and nothing wrong with an bolus of oxygen.

Week of 26th April

At the beginning of the week I was feeling a bit concerned about the less-than-stellar TT. Then a question from ReeReeG reminded me that the week before my first sub-20 5k, I’d done a disappointing 20:40 parkrun, before knocking 53 seconds off it the next time out. Not promising anything, however!

Chatting with lads after, it was pointed out that my drive towards the line in the final section was not very evident - not enough leg lift, arm pumping etc. Hill strides were recommended. That will have to go back on the rotation.

Shotgun’s point about breathing gave me some pause for thought. Could deep breaths help stave off the heaves? Are deeper breaths even possible? Something to try out in future for sure.

Ferris shot some video from his bike while trundling around behind me. I wonder does it tell anything - the first clip is seven minutes into lap one, during the second km, still feeling relatively in control, HR around 179 (88% HRR). The second clip video is 15 mins in, fourth km, and I’ve been detonating now for a while (HR here around 186 or 93%)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSV1N5FQpL4

To be honest I can’t detect much difference, apart from slowing down. :p Watching this afterwards, I was quite aghast at how slow 4min/k pace looks - even though internally you know you’re on the edge from the beginning. Maybe it’s a good thing (for next time) that the outward appearance seems so relaxed - I’m not sure.

HRR only reached 188 (94%) towards the end, by the way so there was a bit more in the tank for sure. Or maybe my max is declining, could be time to calibrate a few beats downwards.

________

Mon 26 Apr

Rest day.

Tue 27 Apr

11.3k easy @ 5:34 (no HRM)

Tour of Clontarf, St. Anne’s and Killester. Legs feeling sprightly enough, even if I amn’t.

Wed 28 Apr

9.42k easy/steady (no HRM)

I had thoughts of doing a session. But after a morning and half the afternoon of painting I decided to give myself a break and headed up to Marino, switching between easy and steady pace each kilometre. The steady felt OK, as long as it was downhill. :) I’m not really feeling the grá at the moment, it must be said.

Thu 29 Apr

Diagonals (2 sets of 10)

Over to Fairview Park for an old-school session, running diagonals on one of the football pitches. I was competing for space with a couple of other people doing workouts, and it’s amazing how much of the pitch you take up doing diagonals in opposite directions, so I switched to one of the GAA pitches for the second set. Ended up running sidelines by the end, as more people gathered for GAA training. This was fun though - enjoyed that the session had nothing to do with the watch. 9.3 kms total.

Fri 30 Apr

No running.

April total: 233 kms (145 mi) - quite low this month. Took a few extra days off and the LRs were on the short side.

Sat 1 May

16.1k @ 5:12 (HRR 78%)

Finally starting to feel the love - thoroughly enjoyed this steady-paced 10 miles on hilly Donegal back roads between Killybegs and Dunkineely. Was wearing the Endorphin Speeds for the first time in a bit and they feel great on this kind of run, a nice bit of pop on the uphills was welcome!

Sun 2 May

11.4k easy on the local loop. Another gorgeous morning. Just a nice easy run enjoying the sights and sounds.

This week: 58k (36m) / 316 mins
    This month: 28 (17)
    This year: 1,166 (725)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Ferris shot some video from his bike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSV1N5FQpL4

I was quite aghast at how slow 4min/k pace looks -

Console yourself - You are in good company - When you watch the elites, it never seems like they are running 5 min mile pace.

• Advertisement

Console yourself - You are in good company - When you watch the elites, it never seems like they are running 5 min mile pace.

Ha ha, you're right. One reason 4 min/k looks slow is because it IS slow. :pac:

Are you using you full lung capacity to breath?

I was breathing mainly using the top half of my lungs and not using my diaphragm properly to dispel air.

For me it made a huge difference to my form and breathing capacity

TbL

Are you using you full lung capacity to breath?

I was breathing mainly using the top half of my lungs and not using my diaphragm properly to dispel air.

For me it made a huge difference to my form and breathing capacity

TbL

The short answer is, I don't know! How did you make the adjustment?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Ha ha, you're right. One reason 4 min/k looks slow is because it IS slow. :pac:

:pac: I remember looking at some of the video from the gantry cams in DCM...my fast finishing 7:10 min mile pace looked a small step above walking pace :o

The short answer is, I don't know! How did you make the adjustment?

I’d someone show me how to do it.

Not very helpful, I’ll see if I can find a link that demonstrates

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Yoga is a big help with deeper / diaphragm breathing. You could learn what it feels like non running before you start when running. Lying down, place one hand on your belly, the other on your chest. Take a deep breath in, your stomach should rise first, then your chest. Fill your ribs from left to right with air and that's where the diaphragm is engaged.

Thanks AM - I'm kind of familiar with that kind of technique from pilates, but if there are any specific running-related techniques I'd be interested in knowing. Plus I'll do some research anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I like the new spelling of my username :p

ReeReeG wrote: »
    I like the new spelling of my username :p

:o

It's all those Es. Confusing. Edited!

:o

It's all those Es. Confusing. Edited!

No I really did like it though and was a little bit raging I didn't think of it :pac:

No I really did like it though and was a little bit raging I didn't think of it :pac:

:pac:

It’s all yours - I think all you have to do is take a paid membership for a month (used to cost a tenner I think) and you are allowed change your username.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

:pac:

It’s all yours - I think all you have to do is take a paid membership for a month (used to cost a tenner I think) and you are allowed change your username.

Yep - its how I became Sweatlicker for a month :D

This week, back to just ticking over. And another pacing gig…

Mon May 3

Rest day.

Tue May 4

10.8k easy @ 5:37 (no HRM)

An earlier than usual few miles after dropping the car to be repaired.

Wed May 5

10k easy @ 5:26 (no HRM)

Dropped the boy to the GAA and headed out the coast for a pleasant few evening miles - pleasant, that is, after warming up, which took a while. It was bleedin' freezing!

Thu May 6

6.4k easy @ 5:41

There are some things I can never bring myself to throw out, so when a friend bought some vintage hi-fi gear I was delighted to have a home for some high quality cables from my own long-dismantled setup. Dropped them over to Rathfarnham, which presented the opportunity for a first ever run in the magnificent Marlay Park. Shwanky!

This week: 27k (17m)
    This month: 55 (34)
    This year: 1,194 (742)

You probably run with a Sony Walkman (Google it kids) :)

TbL

You probably run with a Sony Walkman (Google it kids) :)

TbL

My only ever (cassette) ‘Walkman’ was a Sanyo. And it got robbed!

• Advertisement

My only ever (cassette) ‘Walkman’ was a Sanyo. And it got robbed!

Jazus there’s a coincidence, I got years of pleasure outta a Sanyo I “found” in Dublin...:)

TbL

It did disappear suspiciously close to the bogger bus station. :) :pac:

Fri May 7

9.9k inc 5k @ ~MP

The irrepressible aquinn, who sadly doesn’t grace the forum as much as she used to, had a 5k TT on, and I volunteered to pace. It’s been a while since I’ve run with A so I consulted with some of her impressive support team, who are knowledgeable about these things, and the feeling was that the 24-min target was a good bit on the pessimistic side.

It was a fabulous morning in St. Anne’s and we set off a little under 24 pace. While A was keeping quiet and concentrating admirably on the job at hand, it was apparent after the difficult third km that there was plenty of power under the hood, so the pace was consolidated on the ‘back straight’ and then unleashed in the final km, helped by the slight breeze, forgiving grade and generally go-faster qualities of the long finishing straight on the parkrun course. 22:59, a super result for the pacee and her delighted entourage. :)

Another slow lap of the course to cool down, and a coffee on the grass.

Sat May 8

10k easy

A lap of St Annes and a couple of miles on the coast with Ferris and DD.

Sun May 9

LR 23.6k @ 5:38

Across town to UCD and a lap of the campus on the trails. If you’ve run it you’ll know t’s a beautiful path but easily lost when you come out of the trees. This time I found a few more parts, but I still keep missing a few bits around Roebuck Rd and Fosters Ave. It’s a labyrinth in there!

This week: 71k (44m) / 451 mins
    This month: 98 (61)
    This year: 1,1237 (769)

Murph_D wrote:
    Across town to UCD and a lap of the campus on the trails. If you’ve run it you’ll know t’s a beautiful path but easily lost when you come out of the trees. This time I found a few more parts, but I still keep missing a few bits around Roebuck Rd and Fosters Ave. It’s a labyrinth in there!

I've been in there many many times the last year and I don't think I've ever done the same route twice when the trails are involved!

I've been in there many many times the last year and I don't think I've ever done the same route twice when the trails are involved!

Doesn’t help either that a few of the campus maps posted around the place are missing the crucial ‘You Are Here’ sign. :rolleyes:

Good to see that work has started on the new track. Hopefully that will be reasonably accessible to the general runner when it’s completed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭crisco10

It's a class track alright, but it is literally a labyrinth. I remember being very happy at finally navigating a full loop on the yellow path; only for it to be re-routed due to construction work in the weeks that followed! :rolleyes:

crisco10 wrote: »
    It's a class track alright, but it is literally a labyrinth. I remember being very happy at finally navigating a full loop on the yellow path; only for it to be re-routed due to construction work in the weeks that followed! :rolleyes:

Is the yellow path the one that’s marked purple on the campus maps (“forest walk”)? It’s all very confusing! It is amazing how wooded those paths are, considering there isn’t really a huge amount of tree cover on the campus - but they certainly make the most of it with the trails. A UCD parkrun would be very attractive!

And yes, the construction certainly throws it off. Every time I visit there are parts either closed off or opened up. And I discovered a route through to Beech Hill, which makes for a more direct route to and from the Dodder if you’re coming from my direction (unless the literally ‘hole in the wall’ entrance near the hockey pitches gets closed off).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭crisco10

Is the yellow path the one that’s marked purple on the campus maps (“forest walk”)? It’s all very confusing! It is amazing how wooded those paths are, considering there isn’t really a huge amount of tree cover on the campus - but they certainly make the most of it with the trails. A UCD parkrun would be very attractive!

And yes, the construction certainly throws it off. Every time I visit there are parts either closed off or opened up. And I discovered a route through to Beech Hill, which makes for a more direct route to and from the Dodder if you’re coming from my direction (unless the literally ‘hole in the wall’ entrance near the hockey pitches gets closed off).

I dont know, I'm referring to the "Boundary Walk" in this PDF on UCD page. I'd make it a little longer by doing the loop up to Roebuck Castle too.

Know the hole in the wall well too, it's an essential gap if you want to do the "Tour de Stade" of the Southside along the dodder. Aviva -> RDS -> Donnybrook -> Belfield Bowl.

There is also a gate opposite at the Paddy Power offices (in the BeechPark Office Park) that goes onto the back of the AstroCages - fyi.

Useful to know - I’ll have to imprint that map in my memory the next time I’m over there. I’ve found most of that boundary path but keep missing the bit in the SE corner, between Fosters Ave and the old running track.

• Advertisement

Week of 10 May

This week, a highlight would have been a return to club training. I’d contacted one of the coaches and booked in to one of the training groups, but as it happens I won’t be able to make it as it clashes with first vaccination dose (Astra Zeneca, bring it on!) So a solo track session ahead. The running has been a bit defocused now for a good few weeks, but I’m hopeful that I’ll get in some sort of shape before the end of the year is out.

Mon May 10

8.7k recovery in St. Anne’s during kids GAA. Part of this with DD who was looking suitably bonked after doing a first session in a while. I was feeling pretty lethargic myself - laboured. But at least I avoided the rain, which bucketed down just when I got into the car, to wait for the kids, who didn’t mind the soaking in the slightest.

Tue May 11

7.7k recovery @ 5:51

Another slow one around the various Marino sights. Not ejected from the Marino Institute, despite hearing that they are clamping down on visitors. St. Vincent’s GAA had the mowers out. Casino has the builders in. I'm aware that a lot of my easy runs are incredibly easy indeed, to the point that they may be bordering on ineffective, but I'm going with it for now.

Wed May 12

Track: 12 x 400 (75s standing recovery)

Had an email during the week that the TCD track is open again for any individuals and groups lucky enough to have access. As I couldn’t make the club session I headed over and immediately noticed the “No Entry to the Playing Fields” sign. Technically I suppose the track is around the playing field, although it definitely encroaches. I was ignored by the two groundsmen working nearby, so happy days.

Just tried to do the 400m repeats at 3-5k pace, focusing on form and turnover. Probably looked like an old bag of bones rolling around but it felt good to me - looking forward to more of this kind of workout over the coming months, and some hill sprints of course, if I can wait for Ferris and FBOT to emerge from semi-permanent injury, ;)

This week: 30k (19m)
    This month: 128 (80)
    This year: 1,1267 (787)

Thu May 13

No running. Fairly wiped out after the vaccine. Just a general tiredness and lethargy. Business as usual, maybe!

Fri May 14

13k @ 5:05 (71% HRR)

After the rest day and a very solid night’s sleep by my standards I was feeling great today. Drove up to the Park and put in 8 miles, feeling like I could go on forever.

Sat May 15

12.5k with 5k @ ~MP (79% HRR)

Met up with C and D for a lap of the park and a (not)parkrun. I was challenged to pace 24 mins without looking at the watch and came in a bit hot at 23:18. I blamed the lads for their easy chat all the way around which made me feel we were running too slow. Couldn’t possibly be my own fault. ;)

Sun May 16

LR 21.1 @ 5:45

A good week caught up with me somewhat and I was tired from the start of this, so just kept it nice and slow and challenged myself to put in at least 12 miles. A lovely morning for a trek out to Blackrock. Nice new cyclepath and walkway just completed in Blackrock Park, where there was always a bit of competition for space. They seem to be digging up more of it too, not sure what’s going on there. Passed a couple of familiar faces. Not a bad week at 47 miles.

This week: 76k (47m) / 425 mins
    This month: 175 (109)
    This year: 1,314 (816)

Week of 17 May

This week, starting to turn towards thinking about the summer. Some club training. Hopefully some competition. Some marathon training, no doubt. Chicago entry has been deferred to at least 2022. Am still in for Galway Bay Marathon, which may or may not happen on October 2 as scheduled. That would see a fresh Hanson schedule starting in a couple of weeks time. All seems very soon, somehow.

Mon May 17

9.3k recovery plod during GAA hour.

Tue May 18

Rest day.

Wed May 19

Speed: 7 x 600 (90 secs standing recovery)

Back to St. Anne’s for a club session, the first since summer 2019. The club has a good few training sessions available, so I returned to the one I’d been in before. Most of the men seem reluctant to resume, so I was heavily outnumbered. Tipped along at the back of the group, trying to hold my own. It felt hard, but doing these sessions on grass with some tight turns is always going to feel harder than the track or the road. Suitably bonked after, so the effort was fairly decent.

Approx splits:
    2:20 2:19 2:21 2:22 2:24 2:25 2:25

Definitely felt harder as it went along, and the recovery periods felt very short. But it was good to be running reps with people again. A lap of the park o cool down - total for the day: 11.8k

Thu May 20

8.5K recovery. Bumped into Ferris on the seafront and he joined me for the last few kms. Legs felt quite tired after last night, which is the way it should be.

This week: 29k (18m)
    This month: 204 (127)
    This year: 1,343 (835)

Fri May 21

6.6k @ 5:55

A slow trot around the Marino sights. Signage now at the Marino Institute discouraging anyone not staff or a resident. It annoys me to see Covid used as an excuse to restrict rights of way (even if I’ve only recently started using them). So I ignored the signs.

Sat May 22

12.5k with 5k @ ~MP

Another Saturday morning with C and D for a lap of the park and a (not)parkrun. DD’s turn to blind pace 24 mins. For him it would be a much easier pace than for me, and maybe harder to judge. He was out by exactly the same amount as me last week - except in the other direction, clocking 24:44. Harder to do than it looks!

Sun May 23

LR 17.4k @ 5:33 (69% HRR)

No particular route starting out. Found myself in Drumcondra, then Glasnevin, and settled on heading to the Phoenix Park via Tolka Valley and Ashtown, and home on the NCR. Lovely morning for it and I quite enjoyed trotting along with no particular aims for the run except finishing off the week’s mileage.

This week: 67k (41m) / 432 mins
    This month: 241 (150)
    This year: 1,380 (858)

So when are we racing:p

So when are we racing:p

That’s the spirit! ;)

• Advertisement

Week of 24 May

Mon May 24

One hour (10.6k) during the GAA run. Over the causeway to Dollymount from St. Anne’s. Quite the gale out - the relief when I turned right off the wooden bridge!

Tue May 25

9.4k recovery paced run to the end of the Port.

Wed May 26

Speed: 7 x 500, 2 x 300

Another club session. I wasn’t feeling great going in to this, tired after a day spent painting and decorating. A good few more people this week, and we were split into two groups. 500m reps seem to be a Raheny thing, and not a distance I have any real grá for. I found myself at the tail end of most of these reps, trying to keep in touch with the speedy young wans. The rep length felt not much shorter than last week’s 600s and my watch seemed to agree! Which maybe partly explained how gassed I was about halfway through. Being at the back meant shorter recoveries (supposed to be 85 secs) and I took the option, encouraged by the coach, to cut one short to catch up on some of the lost time, so the middle rep was less than 400m. I was bunched by the end and took the last of the seven long reps pretty easy. Full recovery, then two 300s (a full 3 mins in between). Enjoyed these last two.

Approx splits:

1:58 1:55 1:58 2:01 (1:26) 2:00 2:08
    65 62

This was an odd session, and a tough one. Not particularly encouraging from a speed fitness point of view. Total 10.7k for the evening, with WU/CD.

Thu May 27

Rest

This week: 31k (19m)
    This month: 272 (169)
    This year: 1,411 (877)

Fri May 28

11.3k v. easy

A very slow trot around Marino, drawing some Strava art, among other things.

Sat May 29

12.6k with 5k @ ~MP

Another (not)parkrun with C and D, with C blind pacing 24 mins. 24:37 this week, the best yet, although well below our collective standards!

Sun May 30

9.8k easy (62% HRR)

A beautiful morning for a few miles on the beach and St. Anne’s with M and G.

This week: 64k (40m) / 364 mins
    This month: 306 (190)
    This year: 1,445 (898)

Week of 31 May

This week, another 5k effort, this time construed not as a TT but a race with (or should that be against?) a couple of boards legends, as one of my opponents put it. ;)

Mon May 31

Four easy miles during the lad’s GAA training. Very easy. Maybe too easy, as there was no long run to recover from.

Tue June 1

4.6k easy.

A short shakeout - trying to stay fresh.

May total: 312 kms (194 miles)

Wed June 2

5k race vs Laineyfrecks and Skyblue in the Phoenix Park. 3rd in 20:40 (approx - didn’t stop the watch)

This little challenge emerged after E’s last 5k TT when I suggested she should challenge someone to a race. Skyblue jumped in with a challenge to “race both of ye” and so a discussion of courses and dates followed. Google Earth was consulted and a 5.005 km course measured along Chesterfield, Ordnance Survey and Furze Roads in the Phoenix Park, with a Weds afternoon date pencilled in.

I am not one for hindsight (I hope) but I was generally not feeling great in running terms in the days leading up to this. I’ve been doing a lot of plodding and, apart from a couple of club sessions, probably not enough sharp stuff, so the prospect of ‘TT racing’ felt even more intimidating than it did the last time out, five weeks ago.

I warmed up with a lap of the course and met up with the opponents. A quick conversation about start and finish points, the degree of corner rounding measured into the course, and we were off - none of us (in hindsight) looking or sounding very enthusiastic about the prospect. S had announced he'd be taking it out at a 19:59 pace but in retrospect (again) I hadn’t grasped that he was using the Garmin virtual pacer (or whatever it’s called these days). The upshot was I wasn’t sure how accurate his feedback, in pace terms, would be, as he said something about not really looking at the watch. Hmm - my mind already being messed with.

I counted down and we were on the way. No one seemed anxious to take the front and I found myself taking it out. It felt a bit slow, up Chesterfield and around onto OS, and I was surprised when I glanced down after about 500m and saw 4:00 average pace showing. I'd kicked into the pace naturally and was feeling OK, and knew from experience that S (and E, from what she'd said) would hold back in the opening stages. Past the 1k mark and the OS Office, I heard the footsteps behind and S took it up, taking the slightly longer road route as I stuck to the measured route on the footpath. This meant I was on the other side of the trees and so not really benefitting from S’s position, as it struck me it would be nice to be able to just tuck in behind. No sound of E at this point, and I wondered was she falling behind - wasn’t going to glance over the shoulder however.

On Furze, S had opened up about 10m in front of me and while I should have closed it up, I’m race rusty and found it too much of a chore. Didn’t back myself, worrying about blowing it. After the 2k mark - a glance at the split suggested we are still OK - I became aware of E behind, and she passed on my right, without getting away from me. I just held it steady, I thought, but was beginning to struggle once back on Chesterfield, and noted the slow split when the watch beeped for 3k. At this point S was well ahead, looking very comfortable. This didn’t bother me as I’d envisaged the scenario. Km 4 played out like the previous - a bit of a grind, but E still just in front, while S was disappearing in the distance. It was another slow split and I knew there was no chance of a good time, all that was left was the challenge to not get Laineyfrecked. :) Around the final turn and back onto Furze, into whatever wind there was (it wasn’t that strong, but noticeable enough to be annoying). I should have piled on some more pressure here, but was struggling and let her do the work so I could strike in the last 200.

And then I noticed S ahead, walking with hands on hips. Too race-fogged to think about it too much, but I assumed a twinge of some sort had persuaded him to opt out of the low-stakes event that was going down. Or maybe he'd just been a pacer the whole time and decided, with no pacees in sight, to just take a breather (mentioned something later about a stitch, but who stops for a stitch when you can walk it in?) Either way, E passed, then me. He offered some encouraging words, but then, a few yards later, was bounding by again. Maybe he’d decided to make sure his mentee got the job done, or just couldn’t stomach the idea of being passed by a sexagenarian. But he was past, and I was now closing in on E, who was obviously struggling as badly as I was. But as I got within touching distance, maybe 150 to go, she twigged and closed it out with plenty of class. S, of course, in possibly the showboateriest finish ever seen on the Furze Road, had passed both of us in those final metres to claim the prize. ;)

Approx splits:
    4:01 4:02 4:14 4:14 4:09

As the wooden spoon winner, I fulfilled my duty and bought the post-race tea and coffee. Not a great performance - by any of us - but it was good to run and race with some people again, and there will be better days for us all. Possibly quite soon, if anyone is interested in joining in. I didn't have much stomach for this today, which is a perennial problem in my racing history. I'm not one for overanalysis and flagellation (I hope) :eek: but possibly too late at this stage to do much about it.

Previous best: 19:40 (Bob Heffernan 2019)
    Target: 19:59
    Result: 20:40 (approx)
    3rd place (of 3)
    Age Grade: 77.3%
    VDOT: 47.9
    Verdict: Laineyed! :(

This week: 24k (15m)
    This month: 18 (11)
    This year: 1,469 (913)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Showboateriest :pac::pac::pac: Nah, the stitch had me in bits. I stopped the watch and walked for about 45 seconds until ye were both specks in the distance. Then it dawned on me that the incoming slagging would be epic, that it wasn't a TT but a race and that there was still time to reel ye in. :D

Seriously though, we'll have to do it again and a few more joining in would be great.

Brilliant report D! It wasn't our day but I had really great craic & was just great to race you both! Thanks again, looking forward to the next one :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement