Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last of the Summer Wine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Week of 3 Oct

Race week! Eating a lot more than usual. Mosty good stuff.

Mon 3 Oct

Rest - legs a little tender after the Sunday run.

Tue 4 Oct

45 mins easy with strides on the seafront. Strides felt nice and smooth. Coffee with DD, a few pointers and some strategy discussion. 

Wed 5 Oct

30 mins easy, with a stop for coffee in Ferris’s house after dropping something off. 

Thu 6 Oct

38 mins easy and a few more strides. Stuck to Alfie Byrne Rd and Fairview Park, keeping it local.

Fri 7 Oct.

Travel to Chicago. Flight delayed, just about made the expo. Hotel. Dinner. Bed.

Sat 8 Oct

Sticking to Irish time for now. Pre-dawn run down to the start area with clubmates M and C. Breakfast then we hung out watching the 5k and encouraging the runners, including the mrs. Good vibes. Staying off feet for the rest of the day. Thanks all for the good wishes. Time for business.

• This week: 27k (17m)
    • This month: 54 (34)
    • This year: 2,917 (1,813)
    Post edited by Murph_D on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Gazzler82

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Well done!!!!

Sun 9 Oct

Chicago Marathon 2022

Running can be a funny game. You take it up, you  do a race, you get the buzz, you take it more seriously, and before you know it you’re getting sucked in, you maybe join a club, you converse with disembodied random strangers on the internet, they become your friends, you get more serious about it, you learn from people, you make mistakes, you get injured, you get better, you race some more, you improve, you start taking it even more seriously, you train better, your times get better, you start to feel like you’re getting good at this…

And then you hit a wall.

My 2012-2015 marathon history had a typical enough ‘mid-pack’ trajectory: 4:02, 3:46, 3:36, 3:29. I was still fresh, 3:20 would be the next milestone. I’d progressed through Hal Higdon and the Meno plan and was now into Pfitzinger and Douglas, whose Advanced Marathoning would surely propel me over that line. I had the Boston qualifier and travelled there in the Spring of 2016 full of confidence, only to die a long and dry death in the heat, limping home in 3:44. More attempts follow: Cork a couple of months later (3:32), then DCM 2016 (3:28, which was at least a consolation PB). By 2017, I’ve moved on to Hanson and clock a 3:22. Frustration sets in and I focus on track running for a couple of years, a highly enjoyable and rewarding sidetrack, but the nagging is still there. A half-hearted attempt on a difficult NYC course in 2018 yields a 3:29 that hides an ugly fade in an exhilarating romp through the boroughs I’d lived in and loved as a young man freed from the shackles of 80s Ireland. 

Mediocre though that NYC time had been, it was still good enough to qualify me for Chicago 2020, which was mothballed then mothballed again during the pandemic. I’d entertained myself with a solo time trial project that yielded a 3:21-ish result, edging ever closer to this now formidable barrier. Supershoes helped stem the tide of advancing age as I entered a seventh decade and begin to wonder, not unreasonably, if the time had come to focus more on the atmosphere, savour the occasion, enjoy the day, stop obsessing on number goals….

2021 became the first running year without a marathon, but tipping away, working on the half instead, eking out a PB after a couple of attempts. The needle was moving in the right direction still, but agonisingly slowly. 2022 comes along and by now it looks like that Chicago place will finally get taken up. I’m looking for a new approach and turn to DD, a clubmate and boards contributor. D had already helped me realise another pandemic era challenge to clock another sub-20 5k TT after a couple of failed attempts. His ‘neo-Lydiard’ approach was refreshing. There was plenty of debate about the ‘three quarter’, the near-mythical steady run that seemed to be the key to Lydiard’s coaching success at all levels from 800m to marathon. It became the basic building block for the renewed challenge, one more attempt at an old man sub-3:20 in Chicago – a project that promised a flat course but brought the usual ‘away marathon’ challenges of trying to perform during a short trip across six time zones. 

The race

Which brings us to the start line at 7:30 am on a cool Sunday morning, in perfect conditions. The announcer tells us we’ll be running through 29 neighbourhoods of this big and beautiful American metropolis. I’ve travelled with a club group and am sharing a starting corral with FBOT, another Boston and Berlin and NYC veteran who’d negotiated the long training block through some painful niggles. My own journey had been less painful – ideal really, and I’m feeling confident but slightly apprehensive. I’m quiet in the pen, trying to focus, reminding myself to keep the head in the game, something DD has been helping me with too. Some final pre-race thoughts to ponder, all designed to remind myself that the training, documented in these pages in more detail than most people would possibly want to know, has put me in the right place to get the job done. Remember the strength of those long steady runs. Remember those hard finishes to long sessions on tired legs. Focus, relax, commit, deliver. I think DD had sensed the personal importance of this quest, that it was more than just raw numbers and scores on the training board – the head would have to be right, and he made an effort to address this more empathetic side to the coaching game. And so we are here. The anthem has been sung. The awesome ‘marathon major’ theme has been played, its power chords raising the goosebumps and quickening the breath. We are here. We are 3,657 miles from home. And it is time.

The northern leg

I’m in Wave One, Corral C, and I’ve ambled to the back after fist-bumping M whose place is closer to the front. I’ve actually ambled too far back, not realising the pen contains Corral D as well, so we are held a little longer at the start than expected. No matter though: the road ahead is clear, and the scale of the event – helicopters hovering between the skyscrapers towering over the massive marathon village – is as awesome as you will come to expect if you do any of these big city majors. There’s a huge sense of spectacle, and there is the knowledge that I have not performed as expected at one of these since Berlin, a long and distant eight years ago.

We are called to the line, counted down, and we are underway. I’m maybe ten rows back from the front of this sub-wave, on a six-lane highway that disappears under a massive steel and concrete overpass about half a mile ahead. I’m wearing the shades and it’s dark under the interminable overpass, with some bumpy road to negotiate. A guy goes down after finding, as he puts it, ‘a divot in the road’. An early warning that rattles me a bit. It could happen to anyone. It could happen to you. Careful Murph. The early going is reassuring as we wind up effortlessly to marathon pace, then a little beyond. Hold it, hoss. The GPS will be a bit dodge. The pace judgement will be on mile markers and 5k splits, not the watch. Mostly the 5k splits, which I’ll be aiming to hit every 23:40. They can be a little faster, but not faster than 23:30. The first bit of the marathon is always easy. ‘Don’t be greedy’, DD’s words, as we then loop around the downtown streets, the GPS already struggling. There’s a 3:20 pacer group nearby so I decide to trust them for now (not always a good idea in marathon majors) until the 5k split, which comes in a flash – 23:23, a little hot. Whoa!

The first half of Chicago runs through the city’s salubrious north side. I have visited once before but very briefly and don’t know the geography, so it’s easier to just concentrate on the job with no real sense of where we are. The mrs is in a group of club members and friends out supporting and I register a mighty shout somewhere in mile four. I pump the arms in the air in appreciation – I need to keep myself motivated and focused and the prospect of seeing the crew at various points around the course (a very good loop from a supporter logistics point of view) will be motivational. I’m still wary of the early faller and am keeping an eye on the surface, which is poorer than you’d expect for such a proud and definitely still car-friendly city. I deliberately pull the pace back to make up for the enthusiastic start. The systems are all firing - strong and relaxed, and the 10k mat isn’t long arriving. It dawns on me that we’re now well and truly underway on the first ‘real’ marathon in years. I’m warming to the task, happy to see that the nearby 3:20 pace group appears to be hitting the markers reasonably close to the kind of numbers I’m expecting from myself. I hadn’t planned on using the pacers, and certainly wasn’t ready to rely on them – but for now anyway I decided I would trust them. It would take away some of the mental work and help me relax and focus on the other aspects of the job at hand.

Marathons like these have drinks stations every mile, long and well manned with people who look like they’ve actually practiced filling and handing out paper cups about a third full of water, which is what you want if you’re using the ‘pinch and pour’ method. I took a cup at every second or third station and managed to get the fluid in successfully without losing any time. I hadn’t practiced a lot but I HAD practiced a little, which proved to be enough. DD’s approach included talking about the little things – anything to give you a little edge, or at least to not fall off the edge – and this was one of them. Drinking water from cups is easy! Who knew? 😁

The road sometime narrows, sometimes it widens, and I detach and reattach to the pace group as necessary. I’m very much conscious that I can use them when necessary, but ditch them if necessary too. The group gets plenty of attention from supporters and the roadside announcers that seem to crop up every couple of miles, as do live musicians and probably jugglers and clowns for all I know (I’m still keeping my eyes on the road). It’s a party, but a serious party and there’s work to be done. I must have been in the zone here – I don’t remember much of this part at all, just the rhythm of the road and the body and the mass of runners. Ten miles, then the route winds back over the Chicago River and its magnificent steel bridges, and suddenly we’re halfway through the race in 1:39:25. (I asked myself here, Do you feel you can run a 1:40 second half to bring it home? and the answer was a definite Yes.)

The western leg

The bridges and underpasses destroy the GPS again and the watch is once more useless as I seem to detect a quickening of the pace – unsure if it’s fatigue beginning to settle in, or an actual uptick. The watch beeps and flashes a sub-4-minute kilometre split which couldn’t possibly be right, but it’s a small warning and I back off a bit, reeling the group out for now, consolidating and checking the systems. Legs feel great, breathing good, head in check, heart is still beating and I am still motivated. I know what a poor race feels like this far in, and that’s not what I’m feeling right now. I’m starting to feel confident that this might be my day. I read somewhere that smiling helps hold off the pain, which brings a wide grin to my face. Could it possibly be true? I’m distracting myself with the 5k split arithmetic, and so far the numbers are looking good. The race is now heading out on a loop around the western part of the city, there are some gritty bits, some leafy bits, but the details are not really registering as I keep a close eye on the runners around me. Forty thousand runners means you are never out of the crowds really, and there’s the odd elbow check, the odd foot tap, the odd wayward gollier (yuck) to contend with. I get barged a few times on tight turns and remind some of my co-runners to cool it. Take it easy, folks, a long way to go. I’m following the blue line when possible, diverging from it where advisable. The odd watch check tells me the Garmin will measure at least 300m long (in the end it’s over 400m), so I know the Garmin average pace stat – so far pretty rock steady – will need to read a couple of seconds faster than the actual number. But it’s ever so, and so far so good. The 25k mat arrives, and the 30k, as we wind through some the neighbourhoods. The support is enthusiastic in that American way. There are some sparse patches, but generally you get the sense that Chicagoans embrace their marathon. “Go runners”. “Awesome”. “Got this”. I’m still loving it – the pinch will come, but not yet, so relax and enjoy the ride for now.

The southern leg

I’ve been taking a gel every four miles, with one about a half an hour before the race too. The Maurtens have been going down well enough – another thing practiced reasonably well, and the stomach seems to be coping with the goop. Another little detail checked off and moved out of the ‘things that might throw you’ column. The roads are still edgy and a guy goes down, bouncing back up easily enough but again a reminder. The little things. I’m still with this pace group which is doing a great job. There’s a lead guy and another lad, Japanese maybe, bringing up the rear and the group is waning but still solid enough, maybe 30 or 40 runners packed in close, many more nearby, including me, although sometimes I go right into the pack to remind myself I’m still in this game. I’m not noticing the mile markers very often now, but someone shouts 20 and now we are on the final leg. Another runner goes down and I notice it’s the same guy as previously, tripping on the carpet they’ve laid for the elites on one of the steel bridges. Yikes!  There’s at least 30 seconds in the bank, I reckon, and I overhear a pacer mention a similar number to a runner who asks. I’m waiting for the 35k mat and realise I’ve missed it, and now we are in the final phase. There’s a loopback at this stage of the course and I’m not sure if the runners on the other side of the road are ahead of us or behind us, and it’s another little welcome distraction as the pinch finally starts to settle in at last and I notice things getting noticeably more difficult, with the sun well up now and warming just to add to the fun. We reach the southern end of the course and turn north into a bit of breeze now, with 4k to go. 

For the first time I have to really gee myself up. And for the first time the field around me starts to feel sparser. I’m a bit detached from the group now and have to work to get back in the thick of it, and there’s a feeling of queasiness as I up the efforts to close the gap. I start to think I’ll be sick and have to calm myself with all this sudden upsurge of negatives. This is the race of your life, D, I tell myself, and force the grin, or is it a grimace, back onto the face. Just before mile 25 the mrs and co are shouting again from the roadside – exactly when you need it, and they’ve been playing a blinder. This last bit is interminable, an arrow-straight road where you’re waiting for what seems like forever for the right turn that tells you you’re almost home. There’s a little headwind too, blustery enough to be annoying. The 40k mat seems very late to arrive and for the first time I start to worry that I might have used up too much of the cushion. With yet another of DD’s pointers in my head, I start just focusing on the runners ahead, one at a time, Pick him off, pick her off, pass that guy, don’t mind that guy passing you, focus on that one…

It does the job and suddenly there’s an 800m to go sign, a reminder to keep pushing and drive for home, remembering all those gruesome fast-finish training runs. And then at last that final turn and the railway bridge with its final sting on the race’s only hill. But once crested, a 300m sign is the signal to put the foot down again and I fairly scamper around the final turn and surprise myself with the strength of the finish over the final 200m, passing a good few runners (maybe, cos by now I’m way past noticing), convinced it’s in the bag at last as I pump a fist and drive across the line. 

The aftermath

I have often dropped to the ground at this point but I make a point of staying on my feet, fighting the urge to drape myself across the barriers. “Are you OK sir?” asks one of the volunteers and I just nod and thank him for asking. I keep it moving a bit more before finally glancing a the watch and confirming I’ve made the target by a good 30 seconds. The broad smile returns and I think I released a bit of a whoop before thanking every volunteer in sight, congratulate a few fellow finishers, tell the two pacers what a good job they did, then get my medal, my banana, my finisher beer (took two) and head through the thronged finish area to the bag drop, the biggest of big grins on my face.

So a sub 3:20 PB, a big one that’s been six years, seven almost, in the making. It's been some road, and I was lucky to have had the experience, the company, the coaching – Thanks DD, thanks Raheny and the DNS group, and thanks to all here who continue to inspire and motivate. London qualifier unlocked, so the journey continues!

Splits: (5k)

23:23 23:46 23:39 23:22 23:29 23:51 23:46 23:50 (10:22)

Halfway: 1:39:25 (38 secs positive split)

• Previous PB: 3:22:11 (Dublin 2017)
    • Target: 3:19:59
    • Actual: 3:19:28
    • 4,810th (of 39,427)
    • 29th M60 (of 910)
    • VDOT: 47.4
    • AG: 76.04%
    • Verdict: A perfect marathon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I knew that would be an epic report 😊. Delighted for you D, a well deserved result congrats! A perfect marathon? The holy grail...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Wow! I love the report. Just excellent. Amazing when you know the result but still when you read it you get goosebumps at the end. Delighted for you that you smashed your target.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

What a report! Felt I was there while reading it and, like KG, was getting some goosebumps reading it also. Massive congrats. You got what you deserved from the hard work put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Brilliant effort D, a perfectly executed race. Well deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Goosebumps. Epic report and epic performance. Superb.

Genuinely beaming at that result. You very much deserve it.

Keep going, keep logging. Always a joy following your log and your journey.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Great report, and great race!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Fantastic D, truly epic.

I was so looking forward to this report and it delivered in spades.

You ran the dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Brilliant read D! Really happy you got your PB, you have been a very hard working, consistent, determined runner & this is your reward, enjoy the highs😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I was making sure to log in this week in anticipation of a Murph race report special. It was worth the wait. You're quite the writer!

Superbly run marathon D, what shone through that report was the strength after the training you've put in. The fact you've forgotten how sections felt really shows how you weren't questioning yourself. I'm honestly really happy for you, you deserved this result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

Great stuff D, delighted for you. Super block of training and you are an inspiration given the few years you have on me in regards the idea of still chasing times. As well as the sub 3:20, I am loving the AG score and your finishing position out of the M60 group (top 4.75% of runners in your age category on the day if my maths haven't let me down) which should indicate how strong a runner you are in your group and still getting faster...very well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Delighted to read about this very happy ending to a marathon. I've been following this log throughout those six years and further back, so this one was more than worth the wait !

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Great race report. It felt like I was there. Delighted you made your goal.

I watched Kofuzi's video of the race and it looked like everyone had a great time.

Well done again.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Congrats D. Really enjoyed your race report and delighted for you in getting what you wanted out of the race and a long waited for PB.

Having never been to a big city Marathon you really gave a great sense of the occasion, makes me want to do one nowa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

Great running and a better report. Congrats on the PB. Smiling definitely works.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

Delighted for you! Congratulations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Your reports never disappoint but this has to be the best ever. Like everyone here I'm just so happy for you, great to say the payoff for all the work, patience, determination, and grit you've show. And through all the ups and downs in your own running career thus far you've never been anything but generous with your time & wisdom around here too. Congratulations on being a sub 3:20 marathon runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I am so delighted for you Denis. What fantastic splits. Massive congratulations to you and the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Congrats on a brilliant performance. It's much deserved. And what a fantastic report too, super stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Been anticipating reading your report for the last few days and finally just got the chance. It did not disappoint. Massive congrats. If ever something was well earned and deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Wow, what a read that was!!

Delighted for you D, that was nothing short of textbook.

Thanks all for those very kind comments.

It was just one of those days when everything went perfectly to plan - you have to take them when you can. Thinking back on it, the race seemed to go by in a flash. A flow state, totally ‘in the zone’ kind of thing. The first half - the first 20 miles really - felt incredibly comfortable, and hitting the splits just seemed to take no effort at all. It was such a different feeling to some previous marathons, when I knew at 10k that things were just feeling tougher than they should.

The conditions were perfect, and the feeling of being sucked along in a very big group of people was very real, although of course most of that is an illusion. But having those 3:20 pacers nearby was a very useful marker and took a lot of the mental strain off once I confirmed they were running a nice even pace. It meant we were all destined to be in the vicinity of each other from start to finish, and it helped a lot in the final couple of kms when I started to fall off the pace to have that little hand held 3:20 sign to chase. In the end, I can't help thinking if push came to shove I could, and possibly should, have run faster, but the main goal was to check off that milestone and I was delighted to do so.

No drama since - all easy runs over the weeks following the race. I think I stuck two kms at MP into one of them just to remind myself that it all wasn't a dream. 😀

I'm now gearing up for an easy paced marathon around Dublin, pacing a friend's brother to a 4:10 (hopefully). Looking forward to just taking it in and enjoying the day even more than last time, although I'm not expecting the second half to be easy with Chicago probably still in the legs a little.

All the best to all who are running it, hope to see a few of ye in McGrattan's afterwards.

OK, suppose I might as well log a few runs in this pre-DCM, feet-up state...

Week of 10-16 Oct

Post-marathon, just the one run this week, 40 mins on the Tuesday, along the Chicago lakeside greenway, just because it was there and it's such an iconic spot - every film shot in Chicago seems to feature a jogging scene somewhere along the lake. Was very hung over but it was worth it.

Week of 17-23 Oct

Four easy runs this week - 30, 50, 40 and 70 and 60 mins approx. The last two were in Amsterdam - including the parkrun at Amsterdamse Bos. I'd made a balls of setting the alarm and was late setting out, then the tram didn't show up and I ended up running the 5.5kms to the park, with many navigational stops along the way. I was dead late and people were finishing as I jogged through the start line and around the long loop of the course - it's a one lapper and there didn't seem to be any walkers so I never caught up with the tail of the race as you usually would in an Irish parkrun. The team had dismantled the finish area when I arrived back and I chanced my arm asking the RD innocently if it was too late for a time. They said no, we are closed, but when I told them I'd run all the way down here they took pity and took my details. I was pretty sure if they looked me up and saw my volunteer record they'd put me in the results (I know I would) and so it transpired, so one more overseas officially checked off. Followed that up the next day with a few laps of the Vondelpark. I love overseas running, but Amsterdam city centre is difficult with the bike lanes predominating. I never felt comfortable crossing bike lanes/roads/footpaths, it takes a bit of getting used to. But by the end of this week the legs were starting to feel normal enough.

Week of 24-29 Oct

Taper time! Four easy runs so far this week - 40, 37, 28 and 27 mins. The last one was a parkrun pacing gig, coming in at 26:55. I don't normally pace this kind of time and it felt a bit weird. There wasn't really much of a group at any point with a lot of people sitting it out or taking it easy pre-marathon, but I encouraged a couple of people along and one of them stuck with me to the end and got what I think is a PB, so that's always encouraging.

Feet up now pre-marathon, which is another pacing gig, having volunteered to help see DD's brother around in about 4:10, which gives a little bit of skin in the game without overdoing it. I think it will still be pretty difficult in the second half as the legs won't want to be doing the distance. Looking forward to it!

• This week: 23k (14m)
    • This month: 169 (105)
    • This year: 3,032 (1,884)

Sun Oct 30

Dublin Marathon 2022 (4:00:57)

Not really a race report as I wasn’t racing this one so soon after Chicago, but it was an interesting experience. I’d volunteered to pace J who was looking at a target of around 4:10, so I dropped down to Wave 2, which was surprisingly sparse. (I think a lot of Wave 2 people might have just kept walking once through the barrier and ended up in wave 3?) A bit strange, but it could well have happened as there didn’t seem to be any marshals organising the waves. But no biggie - we were brought to the line and got going almost immediately at 9:05am. 

J was in fine form and it was a struggle to hold him back to the required 9:30 pace, and even an early pee stop (down a lane just after the 1 mile mark!) didn’t make much difference. I’ve done plenty of pacing but not much at this target pace and to be honest I made a bit of a balls of it, as there was nothing I could do to persuade J to be a half step behind and not a half step ahead pushing it when it needed to be pulled back. As a result we were closer to 4:05 pace for most of the first half of the race, although J was of course feeling fine and loving it, high fiving kids and encouraging the crowd despite my efforts to get him to conserve energy. 

We crossed half way under 2:02 which was terrible pacing really, although a second portaloo visit here (he must have been over-hydrating before the race) gave back some of the time. Things got quieter after halfway so I knew J was starting to feel it, although I still couldn’t do much to pull the pace back a little - he seemed comfortable at one pace only, and I knew we’d be finding out soon if he had the endurance to match. There was a third pee stop in Ranelagh, which might have been more of a rest break. A thigh niggle seemed to materialise then, and I tried to up the encouragement/reassurance levels, but when the request came (a little in advance) to walk up the sharp little hill at Milltown I knew J was already thinking negatively about the difficulties to come - it’s really the worst part of the course to start walking, and it was also a bit annoying to stop just seconds after I’d said hello to that illustrious Santa-like Tallaght AC runner who had also decided on a walk break…

After picking out a traffic pole from which we would start running again (but not before a bit of stretching) we got going again. The crowds and the downward grade helped for a while but once around the turn onto Clonskeagh Road there was another stop to walk and I knew the game was up. J had been encouraging me to go on ahead since the earlier stop, and at this point I realised he probably needed to be in charge of his own strategy for the rest of the course so I said OK and pushed on. I’d been feeling fine myself up to this point, with no obvious repercussions from the previous marathon, so I was happy to take things up a notch and as a result I found myself passing hundreds and hundreds of runners as I headed up through Clonskeagh and Roebuck at 8 min mile pace. Even still, as these were all Wave 2 and 1 people I was now passing, I was surprised at the extent of the carnage, as these should all be comfortable sub-4 runners if they'd been in the right wave (which of course many probably were not). The club singlet was getting loads of shouts and I thoroughly enjoyed the run in from Fosters Ave and on into town, eventually finishing in just over four hours. A negative split but of course it doesn’t count! (J eventually finished in 4:23 which was a decent save under the circumstances.)

The atmosphere all over the course was really electric and it would make any Dub proud to experience the levels of vocal support on offer. My own favourite moment was high fiving a kid on SCR then realising at the last second he was handing me a fig roll! Had to hold onto it for a bit before discretely discarding. At least it was biodegradable so I didn’t have to carry it around in my pocket.

A lot of debate about water stations, bottles, cups etc - I think it’s time to move on to compostable cups, there’s really no excuse for all that single-use plastic rolling around the road in this day and age. If 40,000 people can run Chicago or Berlin or New York without dying of thirst from the cups, we can do it. We’re not THAT special. And, eh, hello, are we not making the link between the weather yesterday, the warmest October on record, and the amount of useless industrial overproduction that contributes to climate and ecological catastrophe. I don't WANT to be drinking from cups while racing but I'm prepared to add that to list of sacrifices we all need to be making. /rant

Enjoyed a post race pint in the chaos that was McGrattans and lovely to meet boardsies from far and wide (and the Dubs as well). Not liking the 110 euro price tag for next year but it’s great to see DCM back in business.

Mon 31 Oct

Rest.

• This week: 65k (40m)
    • This month: 211 (217)
    • This year: 3,074 (1,911)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

How did J's race finish out?

• Advertisement

It’s in there, a few paras from the end, I didn’t forget him. 4:23. He was happy with the result in the end.

Advertisement