Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last of the Summer Wine

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Quirky alright. It's a very gentle first week. Just one workout each of the next 2 weeks then you are set into the rhythm and the fatigue gradually builds. Good luck with it Murph_D I'll follow with interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Wed 10 Jun

S&C routine (bodyweight)

Same as yesterday. This isn’t a difficult routine but I will try to increase it as I get more adapted. I need to find a way to make these exercises more integrated with daily running - so that not doing them becomes harder than doing them, in a way, like how non running days are the exception.

Just realised that I’m nine years off the cigs this week - the single most important ‘lifestyle change’ I’ve ever made, apart from starting in the first place, at 13. Kids these days are smarter, right?

Tomorrow - a running day! :)

The club has a 2 mile TT this weekend - last round of the 4-event league. I’ll stick to plan and give it a miss, consolidating my wooden spoon position at the bottom of my particular division. :rolleyes:

This week: 0 kms (0 miles)
    This year: 1,456 (905)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Congratulations, nine years off the cigs is some achievement - is that also when you started running? I sure hope kids are smarter these days but i'm not convinced that there won't always be something undesirable that's attractive to teenagers desperately trying to assert their autonomy from the poor parents :rolleyes:

Good luck with the new plan, I'm looking forward to following your progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Curious, why the sticking to plan with such a rigid approach D? It's only week 1 so surely a suitable time for a slight deviation...especially given it's the last in the series and not a looming recurring obligation. Just surprised to read that given the complete lack of races on the horizon and the uncertainty over Chicago, seems overly disciplined for no overly obvious reason?

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Curious, why the sticking to plan with such a rigid approach D? It's only week 1 so surely a suitable time for a slight deviation...especially given it's the last in the series and not a looming recurring obligation. Just surprised to read that given the complete lack of races on the horizon and the uncertainty over Chicago, seems overly disciplined for no overly obvious reason?

I think you mean rigid in terms of not doing the club TT? Fair enough question - but if it was the ‘real’ winter or summer league there would be no obligation to do all events; most runners dip in and out. There’s also an outside chance of injury, which would not be good early in the marathon cycle. If I had a chance of winning the league I might make an exception, but as it is, participation won’t make any difference to the result.

And I don’t agree re discipline. I enjoy the marathon training process immensely. I usually do structure and adapt whatever plan I’m using around races, but the fact is the marathon results have not been great. I think a more disciplined approach might yield a better result, especially if I attend a bit more to the non running aspects.

The other thing is - there is a group of at least four or five of us following this plan, and the Chicago group would have consisted of about 10 runners. We are all starting the training, and if the race is cancelled, we will probably do a TT style 26.2. So the training won’t go to waste.

Thanks for asking - again, it makes me reflect more on the approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I don’t get folks doing a 26.2 mile TT, flogging yourself and your body for nothing. If you run a PB it won’t count nor would it be acceptable as a GFA entry into Berlin, London etc. Bank the training and keep going & use the fitness gained when races do eventually return.

OOnegative wrote: »
    I don’t get folks doing a 26.2 mile TT, flogging yourself and your body for nothing. If you run a PB it won’t count nor would it be acceptable as a GFA entry into Berlin, London etc. Bank the training and keep going & use the fitness gained when races do eventually return.

Doing a whole Marathon Cycle plan after building a base, only to take a few months easy and start again... zzzzz

After all the training you want to see what that means. Out and run the TT. No need to bury yourself but have a good idea what to learn from that program. If its a PR, then great. Take a break with a smile and repeat the process for an actual race savouring in the fact that you know what it takes, carrying in your lessons learned and enjoying every step.. :)

Doing a whole Marathon Cycle plan after building a base, only to take a few months easy and start again... zzzzz

After all the training you want to see what that means. Out and run the TT. No need to bury yourself but have a good idea what to learn from that program. If its a PR, then great. Take a break with a smile and repeat the process for an actual race savouring in the fact that you know what it takes, carrying in your lessons learned and enjoying every step.. :)

Na, won’t agree with you on that one. We’re all different.

Na, won’t agree with you on that one. We’re all different.

Fair enough. Not sure I agree with it myself! But I’m going to start the training assuming there will be a marathon ‘effort’ of some sort at the end. It would be difficult to keep the motivation otherwise (I think - but who knows how things may actually transpire, especially in these weird times.)

I would not normally contemplate a TT marathon to be honest, but there may be up to a dozen or so people participating, in real time, concurrently, on the same course, which might make it more palatable. Especially if there’s beer afterwards.

I don’t think you can really ‘bank’ a marathon block, and it’s not like you can save a potential good performance for another time (unless an alternative race becomes available within a reasonable window).

We will see!

ariana` wrote: »
    Congratulations, nine years off the cigs is some achievement - is that also when you started running? I sure hope kids are smarter these days but i'm not convinced that there won't always be something undesirable that's attractive to teenagers desperately trying to assert their autonomy from the poor parents :rolleyes:

Good luck with the new plan, I'm looking forward to following your progress.

Yes, in my case running was one of the ‘good’ habits adopted to replace the bad. Turned out to be a different kind of addiction!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Wishing you well your first full Hanson marathon program.

Question for you...(asking for a friend ;)) How will you determine your pace for your MP runs?

a) By HR, based on info from last years LT test

b) Bit faster than your last marathon

c) Bit faster than your marathon PB

d) By feel

e) Recent race data (half marathon etc)

f) None of the above

Ferris B wrote: »

Question for you...(asking for a friend ;)) How will you determine your pace for your MP runs?

d) By feel

f) None of the above

Worth checking the HR Training thread (for your friend ;))

Ferris B wrote: »

d) By feel

f) None of the above

Well I was just starting to think about this question when you asked. Your list is as good a place as any to start:

I was in a transitional place during that LT test, coming off a year of training mostly for shorter distances. While I think I got a reasonable snapshot of where I was at the time, the 'predictions' attached to the test results were not particularly helpful. I was, however, given a longer term M training pace ("speed endurance run") of 4:48/k +/- 9s, at around 77% of HRR. If I took that as M tempo pace, it would equate to around 3:22:30 target.

Well I still think I could have done a couple minutes faster on the day last year - around 3:27? We'll never know. Maybe that's a better place to start. Or maybe a recent race suggests something else (see below).

3:22:11 is the PB, from 2017. Interestingly that time is similar enough to (a) above. I didn't leave much out there that day. Am I a better runner now - not a lot to suggest I am. I've lowered 5k and 10k PBs since, but nothing longer, which doesn't bode particularly well for tackling that number.

d) By feel

Hmm. Would love to run a M by feel. But I really feel training should be done a bit more systematically based on realistic sustainable paces and/or HR. IT's always good to run by feel and see if the resulting pace/hr matches up with where it should be, all the same. But I don't see this as the way to set the goal.

Luckily I have a recent HM to look at, BOhermeen just before the lockdown. I didn't run great, but not terribly either. 1:36:34. The calculators tell me this should translate to 3:21 marathon. My own history (fairly consistent at 2HM +14mins) suggests 3:26. But maybe 3:21 is the right training pace.

f) None of the above?

I'm not in the habit of reinventing wheels. I'll stick with e) for now. That gives a Hanson Tempo pace of 4:46/k (7:41/m). Interestingly it also aligns with c).

QED. ;)

How about you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Murph_D wrote: »
    I think you mean rigid in terms of not doing the club TT? Fair enough question - but if it was the ‘real’ winter or summer league there would be no obligation to do all events; most runners dip in and out. There’s also an outside chance of injury, which would not be good early in the marathon cycle. If I had a chance of winning the league I might make an exception, but as it is, participation won’t make any difference to the result.

And I don’t agree re discipline. I enjoy the marathon training process immensely. I usually do structure and adapt whatever plan I’m using around races, but the fact is the marathon results have not been great. I think a more disciplined approach might yield a better result, especially if I attend a bit more to the non running aspects.

The other thing is - there is a group of at least four or five of us following this plan, and the Chicago group would have consisted of about 10 runners. We are all starting the training, and if the race is cancelled, we will probably do a TT style 26.2. So the training won’t go to waste.

Thanks for asking - again, it makes me reflect more on the approach.

Fair enough. I get you on the not doing all the races in the real league, but this isn't "real life" as we know it! It just jumped out as a surprise to me and reads like a lot of mentally putting all the eggs in one basket and maybe not the few months to be doing that - including this bit "I think a more disciplined approach might yield a better result". In a potential TT?

Anyway, good luck with it obviously. If it does end up a TT and I'm not busy that day I suppose I could come out in club colours to give you a cheer. Maybe, I won't commit to anything just yet.

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Fair enough. I get you on the not doing all the races in the real league, but this isn't "real life" as we know it! It just jumped out as a surprise to me and reads like a lot of mentally putting all the eggs in one basket and maybe not the few months to be doing that - including this bit "I think a more disciplined approach might yield a better result". In a potential TT?

Anyway, good luck with it obviously. If it does end up a TT and I'm not busy that day I suppose I could come out in club colours to give you a cheer. Maybe, I won't commit to anything just yet.

Oh I don’t know. I enjoy Marathon training. If there’s no race, so be it. I don’t see taking the training seriously as an all eggs in one basket situation. Either way I’m out running six days a week, and if there’s more structure to it, it means a bit more. Sometimes the journey is more interesting than the destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

If you knew someone with stopwatches and scanners (for example...;) ) you could arrange a semi formal type TT with socially distant starts for the 5 or so people involved and equally socially distant support at pre arranged spots on the route. It could turn out to be a fun event!

Best of luck, I always enjoy following your marathon training.

If you knew someone with stopwatches and scanners (for example...;) ) you could arrange a semi formal type TT with socially distant starts for the 5 or so people involved and equally socially distant support at pre arranged spots on the route. It could turn out to be a fun event!

Shhhh!

Week 1 cont.

At last some running! As it’s all easy this week, a chance to think about “Hanson Easy”, and how that stacks up with established HR zones, by way of evaluation. A marathon target of 3:21 equates to a MP tempo pace of 4:46/k (7:40/m). As Hanson specifies ‘easy’ as MP + 1-2 mins, this corresponds to an E pace for me of 5:23-6:01/k (8:40-9:40/mile), so I’ll be aiming for that middle of the range (5:42) on normal days, maybe a little slower or faster when conditions suggest otherwise.

As regards HR, the plan is more or less against using it during the workouts on the plan, which are relentlessly set by goal pace. But the Hansons do allow that HR is useful for monitoring general health and to watch out for overtraining - so a good idea to keep an eye on it during easy and recovery runs, perhaps. Obviously I’ll be looking to keep easy runs in my Zone 2 (142-156 bpm or 61-71% of HRR.

Thu 11 Jun

9.8k easy @ 5:45 (67% HRR)

Back in Donegal, and good to be out again after the few days off. It felt harder a little harder than I was expecting and I was keeping an eye on the HR and adjusting when necessary. Blustery conditions. Considering the hills on the route, the effort looked right in the end.

Fri 12 Jun

9.7k easy @ 5:43 (65% HRR).

Windy. Slightly flatter route than yesterday. Again wearing my least favourite pair of shoes, the Saucony Guide - which have always felt clunky and hard - only about another 70k before I can retire them, guilt-free.

Sat 13 Jun

10.5k @ 5:34 (66% HRR)

Pushing a little harder on another undulating route. Muggy and warm today. All good, although the legs felt a little tired afterwards.

Sun 14 Jun

Long(ish): 13k @ 5:30 (67% HRR)

Late in the day, warm but windless. Thunderstorms in the distance but I missed all the rain. Another undulating route, after jumping out of the car 8 miles from home en route back from Glenties. A nice route but had to deal with a couple of punishment passes. Not good - this practice seems to have gotten worse this year. Maybe just more shyte drivers around than usual. Hopefully that’s all. Maybe time to be more defensive. Felt great in the early stages of this one, reining it in to stick to easy. A big hill in the middle put an end to that, and I was tired enough at the end - again conditioned by some other outdoor work earlier in the day.

This week: 43 kms (27 miles)
    This year: 1,499 (932)

HR looking good, no problem keeping everything firmly in zone 2 despite the hills. Pace increased over the four runs this week but HR fairly stable. A bit higher on the first run of the week - maybe a protest after the three days off.

Looking forward to some speed work next week.

Hanson ‘Chicago’ Week 2

After last week’s ‘gentle’ introduction, the legs were still a bit weary on Sunday night. This week introduces some speedwork. No MP tempos or ‘steady’ LR til Week 3.

Mon 15 Jun

10k @ 5:47 (68%)

Around the local loop. HR slightly elevated, but again a warm evening, quite breezy. Warm enough to wear the DCM 2015 pacing singlet, which I usually reserve for 1-2 mile races.

Remembered to do the recommended dynamic warmup at the beginning of this. Not something I’ve been regularly doing for easy runs, and even sessions, outside of a club setting. Given that the hamstring and groin are still a bit niggly, must try to make this the new habit.

Tue 16 Jun

Speed: 12 x 400 (400)

Out around 7am to drive over to the GAA pitch at Glenties, which has a good gravel 500m track around it. I’ve done a few sessions here over the last few years - it’s a good spot, and as before I was sharing the circuit with several women of various ages, who were walking laps of the track (why so few middle aged men doing this, I wonder?)

Warmed up with the dynamics and several laps, then into the reps. FIrst brain fart of the plan. You’re supposed to do these slightly slower than 5k pace, and even though I had the 98 secs per lap in my head on the drive over, I somehow decided during the warmup that I’d be aiming for 95-96 secs, which is more appropriate to a 19:30 5k runner. Then ended up going a bit faster again.

Splits:

1:36 1:37 1:34 1:34 1:33 1:35
    1:33 1:35 1:33 1:33 1:34 1:31

I was rightly pulled up on this afterwards by Ferris, who reminded me of my niggles, quoting the good book: “If you go faster, gains are nullified and injuries probable”

Noted.

Wed 17 Jun

Rest. S&C routine (bodyweight).

This week: 25 kms (16 miles)
    This year: 1,524 (947)

Really interesting to know where you are and where you are going since I know this plan. You say the 400s ought to have been a tad slower than 5k?

Is that 5k-10k? as in midway?
    19:30 5K pace is about 1:35 per 400 rep which you were just 2s fast
    3:20 Marathon on the plan would indicate 6:43 pace (Table 3.5 Training Paces) or 1:40 per 400 rep making you 7s faster

Curious that "by the book" for me is actually some 10 secs faster than my current 5k pace

• Advertisement

Really interesting to know where you are and where you are going since I know this plan. You say the 400s ought to have been a tad slower than 5k?

Is that 5k-10k? as in midway?
    19:30 5K pace is about 1:35 per 400 rep which you were just 2s fast
    3:20 Marathon on the plan would indicate 6:43 pace (Table 3.5 Training Paces) or 1:40 per 400 rep making you 7s faster

Curious that "by the book" for me is actually some 10 secs faster than my current 5k pace

My understanding is you do speed based on current 5k pace, rather than the 5k 'equivalent' of your Marathon goal that table 3.5 contains (like most runners, my marathon is relatively worse than my 5k).

95 secs per 400 is actually 19:48 for 5k, so the plan obviously wants you to run a little slower than 5k pace. Not as slow as 10k pace though. A couple of secs under again, and you're 4 seconds faster than suggested. That's quite a lot of extra effort.

516766.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

I had the very same conversation with Eliud before that wasted effort in Monza but he told me he finds TTs a great confidence booster as he has a much stronger belief in what he can achieve the next time he toes the line and sure enough the following year in Berlin he took 1min 18secs off the WR....must be something to it;)

Well I was just starting to think about this question when you asked. Your list is as good a place as any to start:

I was in a transitional place during that LT test, coming off a year of training mostly for shorter distances. While I think I got a reasonable snapshot of where I was at the time, the 'predictions' attached to the test results were not particularly helpful. I was, however, given a longer term M training pace ("speed endurance run") of 4:48/k +/- 9s, at around 77% of HRR. If I took that as M tempo pace, it would equate to around 3:22:30 target.

Well I still think I could have done a couple minutes faster on the day last year - around 3:27? We'll never know. Maybe that's a better place to start. Or maybe a recent race suggests something else (see below).

3:22:11 is the PB, from 2017. Interestingly that time is similar enough to (a) above. I didn't leave much out there that day. Am I a better runner now - not a lot to suggest I am. I've lowered 5k and 10k PBs since, but nothing longer, which doesn't bode particularly well for tackling that number.

d) By feel

Hmm. Would love to run a M by feel. But I really feel training should be done a bit more systematically based on realistic sustainable paces and/or HR. IT's always good to run by feel and see if the resulting pace/hr matches up with where it should be, all the same. But I don't see this as the way to set the goal.

Luckily I have a recent HM to look at, BOhermeen just before the lockdown. I didn't run great, but not terribly either. 1:36:34. The calculators tell me this should translate to 3:21 marathon. My own history (fairly consistent at 2HM +14mins) suggests 3:26. But maybe 3:21 is the right training pace.

f) None of the above?

I'm not in the habit of reinventing wheels. I'll stick with e) for now. That gives a Hanson Tempo pace of 4:46/k (7:41/m). Interestingly it also aligns with c).

QED. ;)

How about you?

Just bumping this up in case @ferrisb missed the last sentence ;)

FBOT01 wrote: »
    I had the very same conversation with Eliud before that wasted effort in Monza but he told me he finds TTs a great confidence booster as he has a much stronger belief in what he can achieve the next time he toes the line and sure enough the following year in Berlin he took 1min 18secs off the WR....must be something to it;)

So you see yourself as Eliud..... not a fair comparison. Are ye all getting loads of money from endorsements, tv coverage etc? I just think it’s unnecessary flogging of the body in current circumstances. Not for me but each to there own as the man says.

Just cause I’m not into the idea doesn’t mean I won’t follow the Germans training with interest.

So you see yourself as Eliud..... not a fair comparison. Are ye all getting loads of money from endorsements, tv coverage etc? I just think it’s unnecessary flogging of the body in current circumstances. Not for me but each to there own as the man says.

Just cause I’m not into the idea doesn’t mean I won’t follow the Germans training with interest.

Haha. Lustig, nein? :)

In my case, there will almost certainly be no realistic marathon alternative while I’m still in the M55 category, so no real point in saving myself for a better day. When/if racing resumes I can worry about bagging that London M60 time.

In addition, rumour has it that AIMS certification is not that hard to get so the semi-formal TT might even be up-gradable to an eligible event when it comes to qualification for World Marathon Majors:)

Haha. Lustig, nein? :)

In my case, there will almost certainly be no realistic marathon alternative while I’m still in the M55 category, so no real point in saving myself for a better day. When/if racing resumes I can worry about bagging that London M60 time.

At 3:45 I would hope you won't have to worry too much;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

FBOT01 wrote: »
    At 3:45 I would hope you won't have to worry too much;)

It's good that you're keeping an eye on age categories relevant to you. :D

Ah give him a break. He may have to wait a while for the LQ but not that long.

• Advertisement

Week 2 cont.

With a session under the belt, I’m starting to feel like I’m on a marathon schedule, despite the fairly gentle ramp up in intensity and total mileage. Bring it on!

Thu 18 Jun

10.6 easy @ 5:43 (68% HRR)

Easy miles on the Gilbertstown loop, which is a very quiet stretch. Less risk of being run over. :rolleyes:

Fri 19 Jun

10.3 easy @ 5:37 (64% HRR)

Parked in Killybegs and ran out to Fintra beach. A drizzly morning, and I had the strand to myself. A beautiful spot. If you’ve ever seen an Irish short film called Burning the Bed (and you haven't), this is where it was made. Nice run, although the busy road kept me on my toes.

Sat 20 Jun

10k easy @ 5:48 (59% HRR)

Down the far end of St. John’s Point - forgot the HRM so took the HR from the watch. Possibly a bit off, felt OK though, taking it fairly easy including some sightseeing. A group of UK visitors near the lighthouse, including two gents in full camo gear (not sure what that was all about - it’s a fishing rather than a hunting spot).

Sun 21 Jun

Long(ish): 13k @ 5:51 (62% HRR)

Around the Calhame loop, noting that the barbers and hairdressers may still be closed, but the local sheep shearers are open for business, and the flock has been shorn. First 3k of the run with A at her easy pace, before I turned off at a spur to stretch the route out a couple of miles. The clouds opened and we got heavily soaked in the third km, but sunny and breezy for the rest of the run so dried out soon enough.

This week: 69 kms (43 miles)
    This year: 1,568 (974)

So two weeks down. Next week will see some marathon pace work. No more news from Chicago, but the US pandemic numbers are certainly not encouraging.

Advertisement