Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last of the Summer Wine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Nice to see the marathon training cycle going again, however long it may last.

Illinois doesn't seem to get mentioned much on the news of doom (certainly not compared to Florida/Texas), which may be encouraging as regards the Chicago marathon going ahead - certainly Chicago doesn't seem to have been hit anything like NYC was by the pandemic. One would imagine that the organisers will make a decision fairly soon. Best of luck - hopefully it gets the nod.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Hanson ‘Chicago’ Week 3

Week 3 has it all: speed, tempo, steady LR - three ‘SOS’ workouts, over 46 miles. Building nicely. As a bit of a hedging effort, I signed up for the Galway Bay Marathon, scheduled for the week before Chicago. Just in case. Could well be cancelled, of course, but maybe a slightly more positive prospect for going ahead than the big one.

Mon 22 Jun

Easy 10k @ 5:30 (67% HRR)

Up the road to Meenabrock. Sprightly enough, felt pretty good. No more, no less. Very cheery wave and weather comments from an elderly gent who lives on the route.

Tue 23 Jun

Speed: 8 x 600 (400)

Back to the Glenties GAA pitch for another early start, sharing the track with the usual ladies. They generally take the inside lane (not that there are lanes), which suits me fine. The track is about 500m so these reps/recoveries would more or less start and finish in the same general area, which I like, as I find it easier to modulate the effort over the rep with the visual cues.

Did the full warmup routine - a few standing exercises then the dynamic routine (not the one in the Hanson book, I always use the routine from the Cru session days as it’s burned into the muscle memory, various skips, hops, lunges, cariocas, bounds etc, finishing with a few strides). I’m sure I entertained the lady walkers thoroughly!

This week I was more careful about sticking to the target pace, 2:23-2:25. The last one I did by feel, something I like to do, hoping to be more accurate as the plan goes on.

Splits:

2:24 2:23 2:25 2:24
    2:23 2:26 2:26 2:22

A better effort than last week and considerably more controlled.

Wed 24 Jun

Rest. S&C routine (bodyweight). Logging it in advance, hopefully I’ll get to do it in between a meeting in the morning and getting packed to return to Dubland.

This week: 23 kms (14 miles)
    This year: 1,591 (989)

Week 3 cont.

Thu 25 Jun

Tempo: 10k @ MP (4:46) (HRR 82%)

The first of the tempo sessions on the plan. This would provide an opportunity to see how proposed marathon effort stacks up against heart rate. It’s been interesting looking at shotgunmcos’s log in this regard. Is 80-85% HRR a sustainable M effort for me? Is the target realistic? Hopefully these questions will be answered over the first half of the plan, so that the second can be tackled with confidence.

This run was compounded by the weather - very warm day, but by the time I got out around 6pm it had cooled a little, or at least the humidity had dropped. Either way it was 21 degrees, with not much cooling air movement. I headed out the busy Clontaf seafront, starting the session at Castle Ave after a 2.5k warmup jog.

Found it a bit difficult to adjust into the 4:46 pace, after an initial tendency to seek a faster gear. Ease it back there, D - think of your 24 min parkrun pacer effort and how comfortable that always feels. By the wooden bridge I’d settled in nicely but the workrate still felt a little high. Told myself the conditions allowed some leeway, 4:48-4:50 would be an OK return. Once off the grass and beyond the bridge, the pace tends to naturally pick up a little anyway on the harder surface. The kms rolled past fairly quickly which I took as a good sign. Felt OK at the turn, although immediately aware of the (gentle) headwind - nothing dramatic but I’d been expecting the opposite. The seafront can be a cruel place! Well settled in now though and in a bit of a groove. Back on the grass for the last 2k and the effort levels were noticeably higher towards the end, partly due to a stubborn tendency to stupidly chase the pace and retrieve the few secs sacrificed earlier. Glad to be done, and I walked it off for a couple of mins while returning a missed call - not something I’d normally do, but it was my mother. :)

Splits:
    4:49 4:48 4:46 4:44 4:45
    4:45 4:46 4:46 4:43 4:43

Looking at the HR later, the average was 171 (82% HRR), which might suggest sustainability. Effort levels were rising though and looking at the second half of the workout the average was 85%. Still within that 80-85% range, but probably overdid things in the last 2k. Will be interesting to keep an eye on HR in these runs as the plan progresses.

No tempo next week as I offered to pace a 45 min 10k TT instead.

Fri 26 Jun

10k easy @ 5:40 (63% HRR)

A few easy miles on the seafront. HR a little lower than previous easy stuff, not unexpectedly as this is the first flat easy run in a few weeks - although again it was a muggy day. Happy to bump into DD and Ferris at Dollymount and take my mind off the creakiness for a few kms. Through a 1,000 miles for the year on the outward half of this run, hitting the landmark somewhere around the Clontarf sailing club.

This week: 48 kms (30 miles)
    This year: 1,616 (1,004)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done on the 1,000 miles :)

Week 3 cont.

Sat 27 Jun

Was supposed to be flying to Greece today. Oh well, another time. :(

9.9k easy @ 5:22 (67% HRR)

Pleasant run with Ferris in St. Anne's Park. I was trying to slow him down to my easy pace for most of this, and almost succeeded in hitting the fast end of my range (5:23). Followed by coffee with DD and FBOT and a few other Shamrocks, who were out in force despite the wet weather.

Sun 28 Jun

Long Run: 16.1k @ 5:11 (69% HRR)

As Hanson aficionados know, the LR is a steady run - 40 secs/mile slower than MP. That’s 5:11/km for me, and I know from previous experience with the plan it can be quite a challenging workout at the end of a long week with cumulative fatigue kicking in. Today, early in the schedule, it felt relatively straightforward, except for the bits that were into the considerable headwind. I was happy under the circumstances to see the HR still (barely) within the easy range.

Drove to the Phonenix Park for this one, and took the opportunity to check out ReeReeG’s 10k TT route - it’s certainly an honest course! ;)

This week: 74 kms (46 miles)
    This year: 1,642 (1,020)

Three weeks in. Happy to be up and running on all the SOS workout fronts and looking forward to the coming weeks. Will deviate next week to fit in the TT, but won’t be chopping and changing much beyond that.

Happy running!

• Advertisement

Hanson ‘Chicago’ Week 4

This week, the Thursday MP tempo is swapped for the Saturday 10k time trial, which I’ll be doing at about half marathon pace. A bit of a deviation but not too far off piste.

Mon 29 Jun

9.7k easy @ 5:41 (64% HRR)

Up and down the Royal Canal turing at Broombridge, where I had a great summer job in the industrial estate back in my college days, in a photo processing lab - remember those halcyon days when you sent off the roll and your pictures came back a week later? :) The work was monotonous enough, but the craic was good, and you could get your own photos developed and printed for next to nothing. It was a union shop and the conditions were great - an excellent canteen with free meals, good wages, lots of overtime, shift allowances, end-of-summer bonus. Much better than the part-time zero-hour-contract jobs my own kids had to choose between at the same stage of their careers. We were paid and treated well and the company made plenty of money too, until the digital revolution kicked in. I think of Finglas Labs every time I run the canal - in those days I'd cycle up and down, and one summer there was a dead pig stinking up the canal for weeks. :eek:

Tue 30 Jun

Speed: 6 x 800 (400)

Over to St. Anne’s to do this session on the ‘playground circuit’ at the bottom of the Avenue, meeting up with fellow Hansonites Ferris and kennyg. We warmed up with a couple of miles around the park. We’d all done a few ‘Hanson stretches’ before setting out but I was the only one who bothered with a dynamic warmup during the jog. I was then aghast that the lads wanted to run around the loop in a clockwise direction, but I bowed to the tradition they’d already established over the last few weeks. Target for these was about 3:12-3:15.

Splits:

3:13 3:12 3:13
    3:11 3:12 3:11

Nothing wrong with that, I suppose. Good to have a bit of company for the cooldowns - we were spread out at different paces during the business stuff.

Inevitable discussion afterwards about what to do if Chicago ISN’T called off (hopefully it will be, and soon). If so, it’s all go for Galway Bay!

June total: 285km (177 mi)

This year: 1,665 (1,035)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Nice consistency in those reps. I'm green reading your log lately, although I still enjoy reading :) I'd love to be A) Running B) Running to a plan and C) Running with a group of Hansonites. Is Ferris shaping up for a sub3 attempt?

Running with a group with the same event target and same plan must be cool and make sessions fly by :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Running with a group with the same event target and same plan must be cool and make sessions fly by :cool:

You can't beat doing sessions with lads at the same level as you or a bit faster. It's a great way to bring you on.

Nice consistency in those reps. I'm green reading your log lately, although I still enjoy reading :) I'd love to be A) Running B) Running to a plan and C) Running with a group of Hansonites. Is Ferris shaping up for a sub3 attempt?

Well, Ferris, when he deigns to drop in, can speak for himself, but for now he appears to be running tempo to marathon HR effort, and speed sessions to current 5k pace which is just a little faster than mine. He’s a week ahead of us in the plan, although that might change soon. We also have FBOT on plan too, so yes, it’s a good group with plenty of discussion about the method. :)

Hope you’re back on track soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

I felt my ears burning and snuck in here to investigate.

Short answer is no. I’m way off the fitness/ speed level I was leading into training for London in 2017. I am on the Hanson plan though ( third time now) with Galway in the plan ( I was supposed to run Dublin). I’m at the early stages and haven’t figured out MP yet. As Murph alluded to, I’m using HR as a guide in the first few MP runs using HR data from last years LT test. Its early days yet and I’ve only run one MP run last thurs and pace was very slow (7.25 min/m) though it was baking hot. Hoping pace will stabilise around 7:10 – 7:15 (3:08/3:10) in more favourable temperatures but we’ll see. I’m enjoying the process though and it’s great to have other hansonites, hansonners, people who can’t run far, alongside.

Hope you get back in shape soon. It's damn frustrating being injured.

• Advertisement

Week 4 cont.

Wed 1 Jul

Rest.

My transition from Saucony to Nike footwear continues. Latest purchase arrived. A pair of Vaporflys. Remember them?

Thu 2 Jul

13k easy @ 5:19 (67% HRR)

Tested the new shoes. They felt a bit weird - rocky and squishy for a while, but I got used to them soon enough. They seem to encourage a more midfoot strike. They also seem to encourage a faster than normal ‘easy’ pace. I took them for a single HM-paced km and that felt great. It was all I could do to keep the last few kms in the easy pace range. I’m sold.

Some basic S&C while watching the news.

Fri 3 Jul

4.9k recovery @ 6:00 (55% HRR)

TIred today and this felt awful. Cut the run short and wrote it off.

Sat 4 Jul

14.5k inc Boards TT 10k (pacing 45 mins)

Met up with ReeReeG at the Phoenix Park Visitors Centre and did a couple of miles warmup with dynamics and strides before setting out at 4:30/k along the Great Ireland Run course. All well through the Glen and down to St. Mary’s. The hill up to the Acres took a bite out of my pacee and, after a little gentle encouragement, we finished it out at a slower pace. There will be better days ahead. I enjoyed the run nevertheless, and V will have her day soon. Wore ‘the shoes’ again. I like them. Back in the box now for safekeeping.

Sun 5 Jul

(Easy) Long Run: 16.1k @ 5:44 (68% HRR)
    S&C afterwards.

Verging on recovery pace today. HR quite high considering. Partly due to the very windy conditions (in face for outward half), partly the tired legs. Glad to be finished with this one.

After four weeks, today and Fri were the first real signs of fatigue beginning to accumulate. Expecting things to get quite tough over the next few weeks.

In other news, an email from BA today to say the Chicago flight has been cancelled. Shouldn’t be long now.

This week: 72 kms (45 miles)
    This year: 1,714 (1,065)

Fair play on the pacing & yes V will defo have her day :)
    Was lovely to meet you yesterday & have a little chat with yourself & V before I started my own!

Fair play on the pacing & yes V will defo have her day :)
    Was lovely to meet you yesterday & have a little chat with yourself & V before I started my own!

Likewise - and well done on your excellent PB!

Hanson ‘Galway Bay’ Week 6

With our flights to Chicago cancelled, the decision is more or less made - barring an extraordinarily unlikely uplift in the pandemic outlook, the trip is off. Keeping options open all the same - will wait til the deferral deadline in Sept and probably pull the plug then. No hotel deposits paid yet so the forfeited race fee in the circumstances is a relatively light penalty.

So this week, skipping a week ahead in the plan to align with Galway Bay marathon on Oct 3rd.

Mon 6 Jul

10k easy @ 5:37 (65% HRR)

Droppped my daughter to work then continued up to the Phoenix Park for a magnificent perimeter lap on roads/trails. A beautiful morning for it.

Tue 7 Jul

Speed: 4 x 1200 (400)

Another 6:40 am meetup with C and G. We are now all on week 6. I didn’t feel as perky as previous Tuesday mornings but we got in a good warmup with drills, then did the session on the playground loop as usual. I followed C for the first two, just letting him lay down the pace. I was struggling a little by the end of the second (a few dry heaves) and walked some of the recovery to get back into zone 2. Last two reps were with G just behind. Again, great to have company. Target for these was 4:50. I found the 400m recoveries to be way too short!

Splits (approx):
    4:50 4:52 4:56 4:51

Box ticked and moving on, glad of the Weds rest day.

This week: 22 kms (14 miles)
    This year: 1,736 (1,079)

Week 6 cont.

Wed 8 Jul

Rest, some S&C.

Thu 9 Jul

11.22k @ MP 4:46 (77% HRR)

Back to the Phoenix Park, in the cool of the earlier part of the day. A warmup jog then just over a lap of the perimeter (anticlockwise). Ran by pace but pleased to see the HR staying under control, although it inevitably drifted during the last few mainly uphill kms. Total 16.23 kms for the morning. Very happy with this. Passed a runner wearing a mask. Is this a thing now?

Fri 10 Jul

10k easy @ 5:43 (64% HRR)

Felt tired and old and useless on this plod to the Bull Wall and back.

Sat 11 Jul

16.23k @ 5:27 (66% HRR)

Hooked up with M in St. Anne’s for an easy 10 miles along around the Park with a Dollymount beach detour. I say easy, but some parts felt like they were drifiting a little beyond zone 2. Nothing too serious though - worth it for the company.

Sun 12 Jul

(Easy) Long Run: 13k @ 5:51 (66% HRR)

Another quite high HR day - same as yesterday’s much brisker if still easy run. The heat and terrain had a bit to do with it but still, it demonstrates how effort levels can be quite different from day to day. This was even after a good night’s sleep by my standards.

Quite a big week at 48 miles. The weekend runs were tinged with sadness, contemplating the death of an old friend with whom I shared some wonderful times. I wish I had treated her better, but I was young, and a fool.

This week: 78 kms (48 miles)
    This year: 1,714 (1,113)

Sorry to hear about your friend. May she RIP

Sorry to hear about your friend D.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Sorry to hear D.

Hanson ‘Galway Bay’ Week 7

Well, things are moving on, with Chicago officially cancelled this week. I will probably just defer to 2021 (rather than risk having to requalify). Flights have also been cancelled, with refund in the works, so luckily no financial loss involved. This all gives clarity to the immediate future, and hopefully Galway Bay will go ahead. In the meantime, the Hanson training continues.

Mon 13 Jul

9.9k easy @ 5:33 (69% HRR)

St. Anne’s Park, meeting up with M. Chatting away so the HR a little higher than otherwise. Most enjoyable.

Tue 14 Jul

Speed ‘Ladder’: 400/800/1200/1600/1200/800 (400 jog rec)

This is a daunting session - there were two versions available (my kindle version has an extra 400 at the end, but we went with the version in C’s printed book . Either way, it’s some session, with this shortened version still amounting to 6k at pace, with the usual short recoveries. My effort levels were a little uneven, not helped by being slightly hungover after celebrating some good news on the work front. Doing this session with C and G as usual definitely helped keep the motivation up.

Splits (approx):

1:35
    3:11
    4:52
    6:27
    4:56
    3:14

Average pace was something like 4:02/k, a little behind the 4:00/k specified. That's if 5k pace is actually the target - the guidance is a little unclear over whether these reps should be at 5k or 10k pace.

Any thoughts? I think for the last few I’ll be less antsy about hitting 5k pace, which isn’t really suitable for long reps.

Wed 15 Jul

Rest. Some house painting! :)

This year: 1,814 (1,128)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Congratulations on the good news D.

• Advertisement

That's a monster session at 5k pace. Ouch.

That's a monster session at 5k pace. Ouch.

It definitely feels wrong. I notice it’s not on versions of the plan I’ve seen on the Hanson website. Probably a misprint in there somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Sorry for your loss D. Great to hear regarding work though - nice to get some good news so soon after.

No surprise at all re: Chicago - fingers crossed for Galway, although I'd be a lot less confident of that one going ahead than I was this time yesterday.

Super session!

Tralee looks very likely to go ahead. Backup plan?

Although that being said, who knows what happens if a second wave comes plus do you really need a backup plan for your backup plan...

Although that being said, who knows what happens if a second wave comes plus do you really need a backup plan for your backup plan...

Ha - true!

Week 7 cont.

Thu 16 Jul

11.22k @ MP (fail) (89% HRR)

I was in no shape really for this run after a late night catching up with a couple of old friends over a barbecue and beers (and a long, late cycle home). The situation was not helped by wind and heat, but I should probably not have attempted to run this today. Was OK for the downwind first 5k but once I turned into the strong wind the pace dropped and the HR shot up, so I jogged it in, trying to keep HRR at 85%. A big fail, and all my own doing. 16.1k total.

Fri 17 Jul

10.2k recovery @ 5:59 (68% HRR)

A few laps of the cross country circuit at the Sport Ireland campus. A magnificent facility. No one else on the course so I wasn’t really sure if I should be either. A security guard hung around near my parked car for most of the time I was running but didn’t say anything when I finished, so I assume he was just goofing off. :rolleyes: HR still a bit elevated today, although the long grass and hills contributed.

Sat 18 Jul

13.2k @ 5:45 (64% HRR)

Found myself in Kilbarrack on an errand so I drove on to Baldoyle, then headed to Portmarnock beach via the new greenway. Feeling better today and HR back where it should be.

Sun 19 Jul

Steady Long Run: 22.5k @ 5:11 (74% HRR)

The Hanson LR @ MP + 40s, so target of 5:11/k (8:20/mi). Drove to the Phoenix Park, realising halfway there that I'd forgotten to change my shoes and was still wearing an old pair of Adidas Boost that I retired long ago but still wear around the house. Oh well! Met up with M and did the first km together before separating for our differently paced efforts. So a fast start for me, but I’d soon given it back on the North Road drag, and kept the pace more or less appropriate to the terrain for the rest of the run. Took a rare canter down the Khyber - first time since 2015, if Strava is to be believed (I’ve come up it a few times, of course). Finished this one strongly to make the 5:11 target and enjoyed a coffee in the visitors centre with M. Glad to report the old shoes held out, although the feted Boost energy return had long worn off. :)

So that’s Week 7, at 53 miles. The MP run was definitely a wobble, and I must prepare better for the rest of them if I’m to get the most out of the schedule. Nice to finish the week with a good one, all the same.

This week: 85 kms (53 miles)
    This year: 1,876 (1,166)

You know you will always get through the long run. Barring niggles, injury us runners seem to take the long run seriously. Whether its easy or has "stuff". Are we that hard wired?

The MP run is priority IMO on the Hansons plan. Its the one you want to execute. Finishing 10m at your M pace will trump how you feel after a long run. I know you know this, so just reminding you 🙂

You know you will always get through the long run. Barring niggles, injury us runners seem to take the long run seriously. Whether its easy or has "stuff". Are we that hard wired?

The MP run is priority IMO on the Hansons plan. Its the one you want to execute. Finishing 10m at your M pace will trump how you feel after a long run. I know you know this, so just reminding you ��

Oh, yes, absolutely. The thing is, I really look forward to sessions. But I am an imperfect beast and sometimes I let myself do other, less lifestyle friendly, things. :o If your point is, don't get too excited about a half-decent easier session with a completely different purpose, it's well made (and appreciated)! :)

• Advertisement

Hanson ‘Galway Bay’ Week 8

Galway Bay looking less likely all the time. But there is always hope!

Mon 20 Jul

10k easy/recovery @ 5:51 (61% HRR)

Slow and hopefully restorative miles on the seafront. Wore the Zoom Flys - wouldn’t normally for this kind of run but felt some extra cushioning would be in order after yesterday.

Tue 21 Jul

Speed: 3 x 1609 (600 jog recovery)

The now regular 6:40 meetup with C and G. This time, I made a conscious decision in advance that 5-10k pace was acceptable. The result was a much more controlled session than last week - hard but still possible to think about form and about trying to embrace the effort rather than be a slave to it. Or something. Lively discussion afterwards about pacing, and plumbing. ;)

Splits:
    6:38 6:38 6:37

I think this is more in line with what Hanson expects from the likes of me.

Wed 22 Jul

Rest, S&C.

This year: 1,899 (1,180)

Advertisement