Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last of the Summer Wine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Murph_D wrote: »
    Hanson ‘Galway Bay’ Week 8

Galway Bay looking less likely all the time. But there is always hope!

The hope is what kills you :) I'm debating a back up for the back up with the virtual DCM, although not so sure I could put myself through that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

The hope is what kills you :) I'm debating a back up for the back up with the virtual DCM, although not so sure I could put myself through that.

What’s the Plan A?

What’s the Plan A?

I hope to see you at the start at Nimmo's pier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Hanson ‘Galway Bay’ Week 8

Galway Bay looking less likely all the time. But there is always hope!

Tue 21 Jul

Speed: 3 x 1609 (600 jog recovery)

The now regular 6:40 meetup with C and G. This time, I made a conscious decision in advance that 5-10k pace was acceptable. The result was a much more controlled session than last week - hard but still possible to think about form and about trying to embrace the effort rather than be a slave to it. Or something. Lively discussion afterwards about pacing, and plumbing. ;)

Feel free to disregard as I did the beginner plan, but I always thought it 5-10k pace. 5k pace for the shorter reps slowing to 10k pace for the longest reps. It's a long time ago now, so I might well be misremembering.

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Feel free to disregard as I did the beginner plan, but I always thought it 5-10k pace. 5k pace for the shorter reps slowing to 10k pace for the longest reps. It's a long time ago now, so I might well be misremembering.

No, you are probably right - I found the guidance in the book to be a bit ambiguous. For a runner with a 20 min '5k target', the rep speeds given are:

Rep|Time|5k equiv
    400|1:38|20:25
    600|2:25|20:08|
    800|3:15|20:08|
    1k|4:00|20:00|
    1200|4:50|20:19|
    1600|6:30|20:19|

While you could say the table allows for a bit of rounding etc, the linearity of this curve bothers me a little - the relative paces of the different rep lengths are actually increasing slightly up to 1k - even though the recovery period (400m jog) is the same for all reps except the 1600 (where you get 600m).The pace drops a little for 1200s and 1600s, but it's still pretty fast, especially the 1200s, considering the short recovery.

But the bottom line is, they are saying run these at more or less at 5k pace, regardless of distance. There are occasional references to 10k pace (especially for beginners) but it is not definitive, in my opinion.

I don't remember this being an issue with the HM version of the plan, because at least there the recovery periods were relatively longer (50-90% of rep time).

The guidance for the Beginner plan might be more specific, as you say. So for the advanced, I'm interpreting (from this week on) as '5-10k pace', despite the book's ambiguity!

• Advertisement

I hope to see you at the start at Nimmo's pier

Excellent. Full, half or 10k? Sorry, I haven’t been keeping up with the logs.

Excellent. Full, half or 10k? Sorry, I haven’t been keeping up with the logs.

Signed up to the full for my sins

Week 8 cont.

Thu 23 Jul

11.23k @ MP (80% HRR)

Unlike last week, I was well prepared for this important session. Rest, hydration and sleep all better than usual. Up the Royal Canal into the wind, naturally a few secs slower than the target 4:46 pace, but more than making up for it on the way back. No problems at all, feeling good. Total with WU/CD - 17 kms.

Fri 24 Jul

9.8k recovery @ 5:55 (63% HRR)

Legs pretty tired after yesterday, just tipping around town.

Sat 25 Jul

16.1k @ 5:39 (59% HRR)

In Westport for a couple of days. Found the Greenway entrance at the Quay and headed off on an out-and-back, accompanied for the first section (the parkrun course, essentially) by the mrs. Tough enough route with a long drag. Wasn’t expecting the greenway to be as hilly as it was, but what a facility.

Sun 26 Jul

16.2k@ 5:34 (61% HRR)

Further exploration of Westport, starting with a tour of the Big House and out then on the main road west, again with the benefit of a very well kept pedestrian/cycling greenway, well away from the traffic. Croagh Patrick loomed in the near distance, for the Reek Sunday that was in it. Returned to the Harbour area via the coast road, again on a well paved footpath and even a boardwalk section on the Bay. A final mile around the harbour, circling the pet food factory - a former fishmeal plant, and a gigantic eyesore right in the bay. Very Irish piece of industrial planning, but it didn’t spoil a fabulous run. Westport runners have plenty to be proud of.

So that completes the first half of the plan, with 51 miles this week. Definitely starting to feel stronger and the HR data has been encouraging this week. Hopefully it's accurate! :)

This week: 82 kms (51 miles)
    This year: 1,958 (1,217)

Hanson ‘Galway Bay’ Week 9

Into the second half of the plan this week. So far, so good. Starting to feel that marathon plan tiredness. Good to have the others to bounce things off - we are all feeling the miles, with even the easy runs sometimes feeling like a chore.

Mon 27 Jul

9.6k easy/recovery @ 5:42 (57% HRR)

An early 6 miles around Westport in the rain. Some swanky digs around this town! I think I found W4. :)

Tue 28 Jul

Speed: 5 x 1k (400 jog recovery)

For the last two speed sessions on the plan, Hanson lets you choose whichever ones you feel will deliver the best benefit. I chose the 5x1k workout, as it was the one I missed on the skipped week. Back in Donegal for a few days so took to the Glenties track again for this one. Harder to pace without C and G to work off, but after a flaky enough first rep I got the feel for the pace, and the workrate felt right. The usual locals out for their morning walk on the track, and they all had a friendly wave for the interloper.

Splits: (target ~4:08)

4:07 4:09 4:07 4:08 4:03

The way Hanson is structured with the rest day on the Weds, this session sometimes feels more like the end of the weekly cycle. Glad to have it done, and I look forward to the day off.

This week: 22 kms (14 miles)
    This year: 1,980 (1,231)

Week 9 cont.

Wed 29 Jul

Rest.

Thu 30 Jul

17.4k with 13 @ MP (82% HRR)

No hydration problems on this run. It was teeming when I hopped in the car and still lashing when I pulled up in the carpark at Inver Beach, a few miles away, where I’d planned an 8-mile circuit that would start out with a long drag but redeem itself on the way home. There was a brief respite as I warmed up with a lap of the beach and a jog up to the start point, past the extensive renovations that are going on at Drumbeg House, a local mini-manor. Then I reset the watch and headed off along the road known as the Doorin Line, presumably after the railway that used to be nearby. The heavens opened before long, and I did my best to concentrate on the job at hand, keeping the effort steady and not worrying too much about the inevitable deviation from the target pace of 4:46/k (7:40/m).

I am fairly familiar with this road but miscalculated the right turn that would loop me back towards the start and missed it completely. Instead, I found myself taking the following turn that leads to a steep descent to the shore at Mountcharles. I realised my error too late and reluctantly did a U-turn back up the hill - a hill I’d sworn I’d never run again after I first stumbled across it a few years ago. Absolutely gassed by the top of it, and was delighted to have to stop in the ditch to let a truck pass. I consolidated over the flattish section back to the main road and set about making some hay on the downhill and mostly downwind return to the start. Got into a really good groove here and patiently chipped away at the average pace, managing to finally hit the target with about 400m to go. Cooled down in the still heavily falling rain, happy with my effort. Needed every stitch of the complete change of clothes I'd brought along.

This was a tough run, and possibly I overcooked it, doing the last three miles at faster than half marathon pace, but I think one of the points of these MP midweek sessions is the psychological challenge they pose, and so I’m happy to have made the number under quite difficult circumstances. One of the good ones!

Fri 31 Jul

11.4k recovery @ 5:58 (56% HRR)

After a very relaxing afternoon, an early night and a good lie-in I woke with most of the aches and pains from yesterday magically disappeared. It was raining as hard as ever but I headed out after breakfast for a lap of the familiar Calhame loop. No shortage of water on the road, which was riverlike in places as the ditches started to overflow. :eek: A pleasant and restorative run nevertheless.

And that takes me over 2,000kms for the year to date, closing out July with a decent 344k (215 miles).

This week: 51 kms (32 miles)
    This year: 2,009 (1,249)

• Advertisement

Week 9 cont.

Sat 1 Aug

13.2k @ 5:53 (64% HRR)

Enjoyable easy run from the GAA club along the seafront to Dollymount, taking the trails by the golf course and returning on the beach. Not far from high tide so not a huge amount of firm sand available. Felt tired on this run, but in a good, manageable way.

Sun 2 Aug

26.2k with 25 steady @ 5:11 (74% HRR)

I wanted to run the new section of Royal Canal greenway between Sheriff St and the North Strand, so plotted a route last night along the canal and back via the Tolka, with Dunsink Lane as the link (River Road is too dangerous trafficwise with no footpath). I wasn’t sure Dunsink Lane would be navigable end to end, as it was partially closed off years ago, but Google Maps suggested the barriers were passable on foot, so I decided to give it a whirl. At the last minute I decided to run the route in reverse, so it would be mostly uphill in the first half. The Hanson steady pace (25 secs /k slower than MP) feels hard enough at the end of a long week, but managed it without too much trouble. Enjoyed the route, although got a bit lost around the Ratoath Road area searching for my turnoff. But all good in the end. Enjoyed the new greenway section also - terrific separation between bike and pedestrian paths. Not a hope of continuing that beyond the North Strand of course, unless they build a boardwalk!

56 miles this week, highest this year.

This week: 90 kms (56 miles)
    This year: 2,048 (1,273)

Hanson ‘Galway Bay’ Week 10

The Hanson schedule is really starting to bite. Shattered after last Sunday’s LR. But on we go.

Mon 3 Aug

11.7k easy/recovery @ 6:32 (49% HRR)

Met up with a friend for a lap of Grangegorman TUD campus and up to the Phoenix Park and back. Chatty and very easy - just what the doctor ordered!

Tue 4 Aug

Speed: 3 x 1609m (600 jog recovery)

The now regular early morning meetup in St Anne’s with C, G and now M as well. A warmup with some dynamics, then into the final speed session of the plan. The lads set off and I was left on the start line fiddling with the watch as I hadn’t preloaded the session. This meant I was out of sync with the others for the whole workout, so didn’t really have anyone to chase this week. But no matter - eased into it and aimed for the middle of the 5-10k pace range, i.e. a target of about 6:40 per mile. Found it tough enough with the accumulating fatigue, but never felt I couldn’t have pushed a bit harder if necessary.

Splits: (target ~6:40)

6:41 6:40 6:39

Perhaps I could have gone at this a bit more, but I’m happy to have eased back a little rather than killing myself at 5k pace. Cooldown brought this morning’s total to 11.33k.

This week: 23 kms (14 miles)
    This year: 2.071 (1,287)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Speed: 3 x 1609m
    :)

MY BAD wrote: »
    :)

It would be wrong not to. ;)

Week 10 cont.

Wed 5 Aug

Rest.

Thu 6 Aug

17.5k with 13 @ MP (86% HRR)

To the Phoenix Park. Warmed up with C down Chesterfield before we went our seperate ways for the MP miles. The toughest part of the run was the first couple of miles up the Military and Glen roads then through the Glen itself. Don’t usually run this section in the Westerly direction, and the Glen has a tough climb out. Consolidating down the North Road, then a final push up Chesterfield to finish near the Visitors Centre. I thought this went well, fairly controlled, but, like some of the earlier MP sessions, the HR in the final miles suggests I’m not doing a lot of these sessions at a sustainable pace. Some of it could be weather related (a very warm morning), but following further reflection over the weekend, maybe time to drop the target pace a little, and see how it goes.

Enjoyable breakfast after. We followed the quite complicated routing arrows and distancing rules at the Visitors Centre.

Fri 7 Aug

11.k recovery @ 5:56 (no HR monitor)

A running-related weekend, on hols with C and P in Roundwood vicinity. Following a round of golf (!) on the way down, we hit the Vartry reservoir for a shakeout before dinner. C had prepared well, but a wrong turn led to an extra km and much discussion about how such an error could possibly have happened. ;)

Sat 8 Aug

Mountain running ~ 9.6 miles (no HR monitor)

The planned route through Luggala and up Knocknacloghoge (easy for you to say) had to be abandoned as the Estate gates were closed, ostensibly for covid reasons. Hmm. We left the car park and several dozen disappointed walkers and headed for nearby Djouce mountain instead, running up on the Wicklow Way sleeper path with a detour to the summit. Amazingly we bumped into DenisB near the summit and again on the other side, eventually joining him for a mile down to the Dargle River where he assured us the water was safe to drink. ;) I took a welcome sup, carfully upstream from two lads who had jumped in to cool off, then we set off on the homeward leg back to the car park. I don’t do much mountain running, and in truth we walked most of the uphill bits, but it was a spectacular morning and early afternoon, and a most enjoyable variation from the usual fare.

Cash only at the carpark ice cream van, unfortunately, so no 99s. :(

Sun 9 Aug

16.1k easy @ 5:51 (no HR monitor)

Out early for the final run of the weekend, around both lakes of the Vartry Reservoir, with a few photo stops to enjoy the scenery and the handsome engineering and architectural features. Amazing that this was all created more than 150 years ago by men with little more than picks, shovels, horses and carts. Most enjoyable, despite last night’s dinner and beers. :o

522656.jpeg

And that ends a decent enough week at 83k (52 miles).

This week: 83 kms (52 miles)
    This year: 2,142 (1,331)

Hanson ‘Galway Bay’ Week 11

This week’s highlight is the switch from ‘speed’ sessions to ‘strength’. As mentioned last week, will probably dial back the Thursday MP tempo session too, unless the HR data says different on the day. Feeling good at the start of the week - not as tired as last week.

Mon 10 Aug

10.5k recovery @ 6:36 (49% HRR)

A lap of the northern half of the Phoenix Park with an old friend. Very easy pace, and no residuals from the weekend. Hadn’t looked at the schedule and was reminded afterwards that this should have been 8 miles / 13k. Oops!

Tue 11 Aug

Strength: 6 x 1 mile (400m jog recovery) (Avg rep 75% HRR)

I didn’t get the memo about our Tuesday joint session being no more, and had the carpark to myself for a few lonely stretches before eventually heading through St. Anne’s for a warmup. The target for this session was 7:30 per mile, 10 seconds faster than marathon pace. Wore the chest strap but didn’t look at any of the data during the session, most of which took place on the coastal path between the Dollymount causeway and Sutton Cross. Spotted Ferris up ahead, soon after the Sutton turn, but didn’t manage to catch him. Final rep was entirely in St. Anne’s, up the Avenue, the watch beeping at the exact point I passed through the gates.

Splits: (target ~7:30)

7:31 7:31 7:30 7:30 7:28 7:30

Pleased with that, especially when I noted afterwards that the HR average was relatively low and still only around 80% of HRR at the end of the final (and slightly uphill) rep. Slow cooldown back around the park with a few waves at some clubmates doing one of MC’s regular sessions. Friendly morning all round really, with several waves from other running acquaintances and Mrs. Ferris.

This week: 28 kms (17 miles)
    This year: 2,159 (1,342)

Week 11 cont.

Wed 12 Aug

Rest.

Thu 13 Aug

13k @ MP (78% HRR)
    Took myself out to the south side of Dublin Bay for this one. Parked at the Irishtown track and admired the new Cru clubhouse under construction. Warmed up with A in Sandymount before starting the MP miles at the end of the strand, out to Dun Laoghaire and back to Irishtown. The aim this week was to not exceed 168 bpm, which is 80% of my HRR. This slowed MP by only 1 second, but made for a much more sustainable outing, and I really enjoyed this as a result, even though as usual the (slight) wind was against me for the long homeward leg. Jogged back over the liffey to cool down, bringing the total for the day to 18.7k (11.7 mi).

Fri 14 Aug

11.3k easy @ 5:48 (59% HRR)

Out to Dollymount and over the bridge. Legs not too bad considering the miles this week.

Sat 15 Aug

13.3k recovery @ 5.55 (HRR 64%)

Retrieved the car and drove out to St. Annes’s for a lap of the perimeter and a couple of laps of the XC course. HR a little elevated after last night’s pizza and beers.

Sun 16 Aug

LR 26k @ 5:13 (74% HRR)

First of the notorious Hanson 16 milers! Ran the deserted streets of Dublin out to UCD, where I completed a lap of the campus, mostly on the trails, getting lost a couple of times as usual. They really could mark this lovely circuit better - I kept meeting a group of three women who were also struggling to find their way around. As always, I did a couple of laps of the old, decaying Belfield track. No sign of the new track yet, although there was at least an artists impression on a billboard, presumably on the site itself. Retraced my way back to the city and then hit the Royal Canal Greenway to Drumcondra and home from there. Struggled a little in the latter stages of this, and glad to have it out of the way.

97k this week - 60+ miles.

This week: 97 kms (60 miles)
    This year: 2,229 (1,385)

That UCD perimeter path has changed quite a bit recently due to construction work etc. You are right, it needs to be labelled better now. Always annoys me seeing that track ripped up for another carpark(teasing leaving a decaying 200 metres of it too)..

Hanson ‘Galway Bay’ Week 12

Week 12 - almost two thirds of the way through the plan. Have to say the ramp up of mileage seems to have been achieved without too much trouble and I’m feeling pretty good, although the sessions and long runs are certainly challenging. This week’s news doesn’t make it any more likely that the Galway race will go ahead however. I wonder will they make a call soon, or will they wait til the Sept 13 re-evaluation. Tricky. Will carry on anyway - there will be something at the end of it, no matter what happens.

Mon 17 Aug

10.3k recovery @ 6:38 (49% HRR)

A slow recovery jog around the south west city centre chatting with my now regular Monday buddy, SS. A few ears might have been burning. :p Passed the old Coombe hospital, and the new Coombe, which isn’t on the Coombe. ;)

Tue 18 Aug

Strength: 4 x 1.5 mile (800m jog recovery) (Avg rep appx 81% HRRx)

Back in Donegal for a week or so. Drove out to Inver beach and did these reps on the course I screwed up the last time I was here. It wasn’t long enough, necessitating a few deviations down side roads and a final cooldown on the beach. The target for these was 11:18 average per rep, over a course with a fair few drags and drops.

Splits:

11:23 11:04 11:13 11:14

Happy enough - it was a wet but happily not too breezy morning. Wouldn’t have minded a swim at the end, but the tide was miles out during my cooldown. Getting a bit itchy for a race at this stage - no tuneups in the plan, of course, which is probably just as well. Mileage is getting up there - definitely the highest ever at this stage of the year, and more than 200k ahead of the required mileage to hit this year’s 2,000m target

This week: 27 kms (17 miles)
    This year: 2,256 (1,402)

Week 12 cont.

Wed 19 Aug

Rest.

Thu 20 Aug

14.5k @ MP (79% HRR)

After waking in the middle of the night listening to Storm Ellen howling outside, I was delighted to wake to what sounded like a relatively calm day, but I soon disovered there was a bit of wind about as I set out on my hilly route around the nearby townlonds of Calhame, Loughmuilt, Tullinteane, Gilbertstown, and a few more. Like last week, I decided to run to HR. Unlike last week, I didn’t manage to come close to M pace (now 4:47/k) after the first few downwind and net downhill miles.

A few weeks ago, I ran a 7m tempo on the seafront where I flogged myself (and failed) trying to maintain MP into a stiff wind. Today I just ran completely by HR and didn’t worry about not making the pace. I trust from previous runs, tests, etc that I know where M effort is, around 80% HRR, and if conditions conspire to produce a slower run at that effort, so be it. I trust that the stimulus is what it should be, and it will be alright on the night. :)

Average today for the 9 miles was about 4:55/k (7:55/m), which equates to about a 3:27 marathon, and if I did one in conditions like that, on a course like that, I suppose I would be happy enough.

In other news, Galway Bay organisers finally emailed participants to say the race was still a possibility, but they are also suggesting a possible spring 2021 postponement. So not quite putting us out of our misery yet. ;)

This week: 47 kms (29 miles)
    This year: 2,275 (1,414)

• Advertisement

Week 12 cont.

Fri 21 Aug

10k easy @ 5:33 (HRR 61%)

A bread and butter easy run around the local loop. Startled a rabbit, but nothing else of note to report. Felt good.

Sat 22 Aug

16.1k easy @ 5.37 (HRR 61%)

Out of bed and straight out the door and down to St. John’s Point, where I would meet the family at the beach for a swim. Enjoyed the scenery - what I could see of it in the rain and mist. Soaked to the skin by the time I arrived at the destination but still had 2k to do so waved at the girls and continued on towards the lighthouse, until the road was blocked by the local free range bullocks and I turned. Felt very good on this run, and enjoyed a cold and refreshing dip in the turquoise waters of the lovely little cove at Ballycroy/

Sun 23 Aug

LR 16.1k @ 5:29 (67% HRR)

10 miles, using much of Thursday’s tempo route, this time in the other direction. It was a glorious early afternoon and I was pleased to comfortably do this at the faster end of easy pace. On the other hand, I’m a little perplexed by how much I seem to slow down on hills, despite running these Donegal roads considerably more than ever this year. I just don’t feel any strength when negotiating anything much more than a speed bump. However, I won’t dwell on it for now - amn’t I lucky to still be putting one foot in front of the other after all?

This week: 89 kms (55 miles)
    This year: 2,318 (1,440)

Hanson ‘Galway Bay’ Week 13

So… into the final third of the plan. I haven’t missed a run yet, and It’s gone pretty smoothly. The MP runs have been the most difficult sessions, and I’ve adjusted things slightly. The next few of these sessions will be really crucial, as I continue to monitor HR to verify that the target (3:22 at the moment) is realistic. I will begin to introduce The Shoes on some of these MP runs, possibly starting this week. Time to start breaking them in properly, and gauge their effect, if any, on the effort expended.

Mon 24 Aug

13.1k easy @ 5:49 (61% HRR)

Four miles out to the Croagh Caravan Park and four back down the hills. This was an evening run, first in a while, so a bit warmer and muggier than I’ve been used to of late. A bit tired after some work around the garden, but all good. Home just before dinner, and ate like the proverbial horse. 200 miles already this month, with a full week to go, so the plan isn’t short on the mileage front.

This week: 13 kms (8 miles)
    This year: 2,331 (1,449)

Week 13 cont.

Tue 25 Aug

Strength: 3 x 2 miles (800m jog recovery) (Max 85% HRR)

Not in a rush to get out of bed on the last full day of the holidays, listening to the rain pounding down all night. The gas man arrived unexpectedly early to service the cooker, so I hung around, glad of the excuse to postpone the session. The wind was getting up - at one stage the poor man went outside to his van and narrowly avoided an encounter with the lid of the barbecue, lifted by a strong gust and propelled about 10 metres through the air at head height. None of this boded well for my session, and I dithered over where I might get some protection. Eventually headed for the Mountcharles Pier where there’s just over a mile of flat road that I hoped might be somewhat sheltered from the NE wind by the tall trees in the adjacent Hall Demesne (home of the Conyngham/Mountcharles gentry that gave the village its modern name, before they consolidated in Slane). I was wrong about the shelter, and after a foolish choice of a looped first rep featuring some steep uphills and downhills, I settled into the job at hand running lengths of the pier road, impressing some local strollers as I huffed past several times during the effort.

Splits:
    15:04 15:07 15:05

These sessions are 10s faster than MP so the target was 15:04 for the 2m reps. Under the circumstances I’m delighted with that - it was tough going (mentally more than physically) from the start. Relief of course in the downwind parts, but the net effect of the headwind is always harder. Was buoyed by the memory of some very gruelling sessions along the same road a couple of years ago during my 800m phase - told myself these ’slow’ miles were a piece of cake in comparison. Whatever works! :)

This week: 30 kms (19 miles)
    This year: 2,347 (1,459)

Week 13 cont.

Wed 26 Aug

Rest. I have been neglecting the S&C, and continued to neglect today. In fact, a long drive back to Dublin had me stiff as a board (as well as ready to kill the kids). Glad to walk down to the shops to stretch the legs - twice, as I forgot my mask the first time.

Thu 27 Aug

12 miles inc. 9 @ MP (76% HRR)

Laced up the vaporflys, as planned earlier, and headed out towards Sutton, easing into the MP around The Yacht. The weather report had told me to expect an ENE breeze, but as usual the seafront microclimate was westerly, as I realised when I passed a few clubmates coming in the opposite direction, and they didn’t look like they were coasting. The seafront is surprisingly short of flags and other objects (such as litter) that would give you an inkling of the wind direction, but I felt really good all the way out to Baldoyle, reining in the pace if anything. Turned into the wind then, cursing the forecast, but in reality it was only a gentle zephyr and I had no trouble clocking up the kms at the required 4:47 pace.

This was by far the easiest of the MP runs to date. I know they don’t propel themselves, but I have to hand it to the magic shoes - they feel great on this kind of run. A definite confidence booster.

In other news, as the National Masters has opened for registrations, I signed up for the 1500m, as a gesture of support as much as anything, as I don’t think I’ll actually be around on the day. But if so, I’ll head out and give it an honest effort.

This week: 49 kms (31 miles)
    This year: 2,361 (1,471)

Week 13 cont.

Fri 28 Aug

11.3k easy @ 5:47 (56% HRR)

Easy trot to the Bull Wall. Almost got blown off it with the strong gusts. Finally got that ENE wind to blow me home.

Sat 29 Aug

13.3k easy @ 5.50 (No HR monitor)

A lap of the Phoenix Park with G. Left the HR monitors behind and just chatted our way around, discussing the Hanson plan and many other topics. Met up with M for further analysis over breakfast. We all seem to be coping pretty well with the method, touch wood.

Sun 30 Aug

LR 26k @ 5:11 (69% HRR)

Second of the 16-mile runs, which of course are the longest in the schedule. A sparkling autumnal morning around South Dublin Bay - a touch of tailwind on the way out saw me turn on the Dun Laoghaire West Pier a couple of seconds ahead of the pace. I was glad to have the sun behind me on the way back as the glare had been bothering me on the way out - must be better about remembering the sunglasses, as I am getting more and more sensitive to glare in my old age. About three kms from home I felt a few sharp stabs of pain around the outside of my right foot - a bit bothersome, but it went away soon enough. Hopefully nothing serious, perhaps a little protest as the mileage creeps up - still a day to go, but this August has been my highest-mileage month ever. A good week for sure, to end the holidays.

This week: 100 kms (62 miles).
    This year: 2,417 (1,502)

Hanson ‘Galway Bay’ Week 14

Five weeks to go… the body is starting to creak a bit, with a few twinges, mostly around right foot and also feeling the right hamstring occasionally. But it’s make or break time in the schedule, and there’s bound to be at least a little blowback. This old frame has been pretty resilient of late, but 60-mile weeks are rare enough for me, historically. If nothing breaks this week or next, I should be OK.

Mon 31 Aug

11k easy @ 5:39 (64% HRR)

Dropped the older boy at GAA and headed out along the seafront and onto Dollymount beach. Not much to report, except that I was tired and had another couple of jabs under the little toe area of my forefoot. But not something that persisted, thankfully.

August total: 419k (261m) - runningest month ever, as the Yanks might say.

Tue 1 Sep

Strength: 2 x 3 miles (1m jog recovery) (Avg HRR 83%, Max 91%)

Effectively a pair of 23 minute runs at IAT pace, so this is always a bit of a daunting session. The sun was beaming down on the seafront, which had one of those crosswinds that always seemed to be slightly against, except for the last couple of kms. Target 4:41/k (7:32/m), so 22:36 per rep.

Splits:
    22:29 22:31

After the usual creaky first km trying to get a feel for the effort, I was able to knuckle down and get the job done, which will do nicely enough. Felt easier than last week’s version, which probably had more do to with the absence of storm conditions than anything else. ;)

This week: 27 kms (17 miles)
    This year: 2,444 (1,519)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

That 2x3m session was one of the 3 main sessions last year that gave me confidence in my training. Nicely done despite the creaks... get the foam roller out

That 2x3m session was one of the 3 main sessions last year that gave me confidence in my training. Nicely done despite the creaks... get the foam roller out

Cheers M. What were the other two? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Cheers M. What were the other two? :)

One was not part of the plan. After a flu, I missed 2 weeks. Trained by HR only to gauge where I was then did 14 with 2, 3 and 5m at Marathon effort (HR driven). The paces were decent and I took confidence that the 2 weeks missed was a blip.

The other was the final 10m Marathon Tempo. I felt knackered that morning and had to grind it out but felt comfortable with the uncomfortable. As tough as it felt, I felt I had the legs to grind out more. In a tired way, a deep satisfaction of feeling fit and just a little undercooked.

• Advertisement

Week 14 cont.

Wed 2 Sep

Rest. The plan is so relentless that these days off just feel wrong.

Thu 3 Sep

19.7k inc 14.5 @ MP (83% HRR)

Up at dawn for this one, hoping in vain to avoid some of the wind. Bumped into Ferris during the warmup and turned to run a few hundred metres in the opposite direction (the direction I’d be finishing in) and got a good inkling of what would be in store. We parted ways and I turned back to the more forgiving downwind direction, debating whether to seek shelter somewhere along the way. Two miles in, I crossed towards St. Anne’s Park, then changed my mind and decided to tough it out. It was a lovely fresh morning, and I tried to enjoy as much as I could before I turned for the second half, waving at Ferris and FBOT soon afterwards. ‘Piece of cake!’, I lied as I went past. It was a grim effort home. Tried to lean into the wind and let gravity do some of the work. Surprised myself by losing less time than expected, and almost enjoyed the last few kms. :p Needed every second I’d gained on the way out, but hit the MP number (4:47/k) in the end.

This week: 47 kms (29 miles)
    This year: 2,464 (1,532)

Advertisement