Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SINN FEIN - 24% - IRELAND'S BIGGEST PARTY ?

Options
  • 09-02-2020 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

IS THIS CORRECT ?

SINN FEIN WILL HIT 24% +

FF & FG 22/23%

WOW!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

it could well be true. When the two biggest parties show themselves to be useless, what do you do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

They won’t be the biggest party, they probably won’t even be the second biggest party.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Given the way this election has gone , I’ll be sick If sf don’t win most seats. After in many constituencies their single candidate won by a landslide and they could have taken second seats. Ffg can fcuk off. It’s not acceptable them denying change. I hope there are marches or a second election if those rats try to exclude sf

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Ireland always did have a soft spot for terrorists.

• Advertisement

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Yeah they must have a soft spot for landlords and vulture funds ripping off those close to you on a most basic human need like housing. It’s disgusting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,773 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

People who this are the same people that where happy to invite the Queen over and say bygones be bygones but only when it suits there argument

• Registered Users Posts: 23,372 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Given the way this election has gone , I’ll be sick If sf don’t win most seats. After in many constituencies their single candidate won by a landslide and they could have taken second seats. Ffg can fcuk off. It’s not acceptable them denying change. I hope there are marches or a second election if those rats try to exclude sf

Do you understand how it works?
    Every seat is equal so whoever can make the numbers can be the government whoever they may be.
    If ff and FG and a few independents add up to over 80, they are entitled to form a government if they so wish and can agree.
    SF can take their own lead and try to form a government if they think they can gather up 80 plus TDs.
    Personally I'm thinking FF and SF plus Lowry and Healy Raes.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

I reckon aload of the SF candidates are saying "what do we do now", probably shocked at the numbers they are getting!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I'm scratching my head wondering why SF didn't run more candidates? Aengus O'Snodaigh was hoisted on people's shoulders but if I was him I'd be embarrassed. He could easily have got another SF candidate in. Same goes for several other constituencies. Eoin O'Broin was able to bring his running mate in, so they weren't even consistent in their election policy.
    Does anyone have a theory?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

It would be in Sinn Feins next interest now to prevent the forming of a government and go to another election so they can put forward more candidates.

With the huge landslides they're getting in some areas they could have easily got a second seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

I'm scratching my head wondering why SF didn't run more candidates? Aengus O'Snodaigh was hoisted on people's shoulders but if I was him I'd be embarrassed. He could easily have got another SF candidate in. Same goes for several other constituencies. Eoin O'Broin was able to bring his running mate in, so they weren't even consistent in their election policy.
    Does anyone have a theory?

Because they did so badly in the local and European elections they were trying to narrow it down.

SF wouldn't be able to repeat this performance. No substance to the majority of their TDs so far. Just the SF brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

A lot of consituguencies they had planned on having two candidates and had two prospective candidates agreed upon.

Then the last local elections happened with terrible results and sinn fein told their prospective candidates sorry we dont need you to run.

I am surprised they didn't look into the numbers again prior to nominations closing. There was two opinion polls showing sf at 19-21% within 4 days of the closing of nominations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

SF wouldn't be able to repeat this performance. No substance to the majority of their TDs so far. Just the SF brand.

I remember when the word was they'd never get a seat south of the border. Things have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,591 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

pinkyeye wrote: »
    It would be in Sinn Feins next interest now to prevent the forming of a government and go to another election so they can put forward more candidates.

With the huge landslides they're getting in some areas they could have easily got a second seat.

This would be the most prudent position for them but while they try this FF/FG will come together and bribe anyone and everyone into joining them to create a government, it wouldnt be a coalition it wouldn't be a rainbow it would be a 2 year olds A4 paper with a paint palette. Anything to keep SF out!

No fan of SF but fair play to them for doing so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Who will form a coallition with SF?
    PBP-Solidarity? Independents?
    Will FF change their minds+ sit down with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭KaneToad

SF took the sensible option by running fewer candidates. Based on the locals & euros it was the obvious and pragmatic thing to do. All parties would have done the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Yeah they must have a soft spot for landlords and vulture funds ripping off those close to you on a most basic human need like housing. It’s disgusting!!

That old chestnut.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

pinkyeye wrote: »

Very risky strategy?? It could very easily go against them again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

The people get what they vote for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Who will form a coallition with SF?
    PBP-Solidarity? Independents?

Such a massive turnabout would create g-forces that the human body can't stand up to. Luckily these are politicians we're talking about - martin seems to have softened his cough already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

KaneToad wrote: »
    SF took the sensible option by running fewer candidates. Based on the locals & euros it was the obvious and pragmatic thing to do. All parties would have done the same.

I can understand that but did they not do their own polling since?
    Why did Eoin O'Broin have a running mate if they were being cautious?

That old chestnut.

Based on results and evidence

• Registered Users Posts: 12,519 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

The people get what they vote for.

Around 75% did not vote SF (I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭eastie17

They didnt run more candidates because neither they nor anyone else really expected this to happen or even understands how it did.
    Some of the candidates topping the pool by landslides couldn't get elected in the council elections a few months ago! And SF were dismal in the presidential election.
    I reckon a bin bag with an SF sticker on it would have got elected yesterday.

Anyway now they have got a bit of a mandate lets see what they can do with it. I imagine they'd be hoping NOT to go into government, criticize everything that moves from the opposition benches and then collapse the, what will be if they are not in it, a very shaky government in about 12 months when they have more candidates lined up.
    Interesting to see what they would do then. Ultimately they will end up the same as FF/FG, the civil servants run the country and unless you are gonna take them head on which has never been a popular choice before then things like health just arent going to be fixed. Housing I think is getting fixed, there was just nothing built for about 5 years and thats why we are suffering now. The work being done now will come out into demand over the next 12 to 18 months, there will probably be a global recession bringing incomes and prices down and the Government at that time will look like problem solvers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

You do realise that SF won’t actually help the working person? All they care about is providing ‘foreva homes’ for the work shy.

Do you realise who has invested in these vulture funds? Do you have a pension, if you do, I can guarantee you that a significant part of that is invested in REITs.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,602 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I reckon aload of the SF candidates are saying "what do we do now", probably shocked at the numbers they are getting!

Well they may get the opportunity to prove themselves now!

It will be interesting to see will there supporters stay loyal to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

Absolutely. MM will have a choice: Either stick to his guns and become the first FF leader not to be Taoiseach or else bite the bullet (no pun intended) and pair up with SF. IMO he will be under significant pressure from many members to get FF back into power at all costs after nearly a decade on the sidelines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,856 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Nobody has any more power than anyone else to exclude others. If SF get a majority of seats then they have a majority of votes and can just vote themselves into government. If they didn't get enough votes because they either stupidly didn't run enough candidates or simply just didn't get enough votes then tough shite.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement