Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ECCB Switch

Options
  • 09-02-2020 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭

Thanks for looking folks. For the last 6 months or so, any time there's been heavy rain, the ECCB Switch on the fuse box has tripped. We end up with no power to the sockets but everything else (lights, cooker etc are unaffected). We normally can get it back after waiting 20/30 minutes so being men of limited means, meant we didn't need to call an electrician.

However, Storm Ciara is wrecking my brain. It's happened 4/5 times now today and is getting real tired, real fast. We've called an electrician, but I'm thinking it actually may be more a structural issue than an electrical issue (i.e water is getting in from the outside and tripping that switch). So maybe an electrician isn't actually required at all.

Just wondering if anybody has any experience of this and what was done to fix it. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Elcb?

Em, you got any outdoor lights or sockets that water could be getting into?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Tails142 wrote: »
    Elcb?

Or septic tank?
    Also check that your immersion is turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

Tails142 wrote: »
    Elcb?

Could well be ELCB. It's written in pencil on the switch label. No outdoor lights or sockets. Immersion hasn't been switched on in years. But I did just realise that the meter is directly above the front door and we have a small porch covering over it. Any likelihood that there could be a leak between it and the wall seeping in to the fusebox? Would that cause that particular switch to trip or would it trip the main switch instead?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Is it a single ELCB covering all your sockets?

Water could certainly be a cause, but not at the meter.

Can you post a pic of the fusebox?

Advertisement