Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In and out of Dublin. Observations.

Options
  • 09-02-2020 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

It's been about 7 years since I commuted in and out of Dublin centre but I started a new job in there last Monday. Man, things have changed. and not for the better.
    Cyclists. A contentious subject I know but the vast majority of them, as in the high 90% range ignore red lights completely. And a high proportion of them don't even bother to look left or right as they sail through a red light. I did see one cyclist do the right thing and start to slow as he approached an amber light and stopped at a red. He got taken out of it by the 2 cyclists coming up behind him who were intent on going straight through.
    Red lights, green lights. When your light turns green you have to wait for the stream of cars coming through on a red before you can move. The most I've counted so far is 7.
    Police presence. IN a week of commuting in and out I've seen 3 Garda cars.
    I wonder if there is a correlation to be made between the lack of police presence and the amount of people acting like dicks on the road...
    Just throwing it out there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Stiletto72 wrote: »
    It's been about 7 years since I commuted in and out of Dublin centre but I started a new job in there last Monday. Man, things have changed. and not for the better.
    Cyclists. A contentious subject I know but the vast majority of them, as in the high 90% range ignore red lights completely. And a high proportion of them don't even bother to look left or right as they sail through a red light. I did see one cyclist do the right thing and start to slow as he approached an amber light and stopped at a red. He got taken out of it by the 2 cyclists coming up behind him who were intent on going straight through.
    Red lights, green lights. When your light turns green you have to wait for the stream of cars coming through on a red before you can move. The most I've counted so far is 7.
    I wonder if there is a correlation to be made between the lack of police presence and the amount of people acting like dicks on the road...

I've been commuting in to Dublin city by motorbike for 10+ years.

It's always been bad, the only difference now is there are more people, more cyclists, more cars, more buses, more motorbikes, and the same amount of garda.

Got to ride defensively at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Purely down to the complete lack of enforcement of the majority our laws. There is only active enforcement of 2 laws, DUI and exceeding the speed limit, so the majority of people don't DUI or speed on national roads, but in estates they do speed as there is no enforcement there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I wonder if there is a correlation to be made between the lack of police presence and the amount of drug dealing and robberies...

Fixed that there......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

On my commute, every red is broken by cars, even really busy junctions. Look at Phibsborough rd / NCR junction, 4 ways break the lights each time. No enforcement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

The cyclists tremendous sense of self entitlement protects them from the law don't you know oh and from HGV's also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Stiletto72

Fixed that there......

No, you didn't.

Advertisement