Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

" Power Plungers " ?

Options
  • 09-02-2020 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭

Pump up things for unblocking sinks? Are they any good? Recommendations, please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Stigura wrote: »
    Pump up things for unblocking sinks? Are they any good? Recommendations, please?

How blocked is your sink ? A standard plunger can be quite good ...if you use it right .. some of the detergent drain unblockers are good as well...
    If it needs much more than that on a regular basis there is something wrong, that (maybe) should be looked at by a plumber ...
    If it's not that expensive then yeah go for it ,but don't expect it to work for long if it's a cheapo ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Stigura

Ahh. Cheers, Mark. This has got me thinking ~ about the cheapo ones .....

See; Screwfix has one, three yo's. Then a 'Professional' one, closer to forty! :eek:

But, I just worked out - talking to someone else, on here - that my problem will Always exist, recurring as I repeat the same action, week after week, for ever!

It's this gloop I keep putting down there. When I make beer. I've got no where else to put this schit, so, it's going to keep happening! I'll just have to keep blowing it out of my little waste pipe then.

Now got me seriously considering the big investment! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Woodies sell those guns for slow drainers to clear blockages,but its like pouring oil down your drain will slowly strangle your wastepipe.You have always somewhere else to get rid of it.Is it legal to put it into your drains?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭cletus

Ahh. Cheers, Mark. This has got me thinking ~ about the cheapo ones .....

See; Screwfix has one, three yo's. Then a 'Professional' one, closer to forty! :eek:

But, I just worked out - talking to someone else, on here - that my problem will Always exist, recurring as I repeat the same action, week after week, for ever!

It's this gloop I keep putting down there. When I make beer. I've got no where else to put this schit, so, it's going to keep happening! I'll just have to keep blowing it out of my little waste pipe then.

Now got me seriously considering the big investment! :(

Is there no access to an outside drain? Or considering you live in the country, and it's the remanents of brewing beer, is there no way to compost it?

All perfectly legal, lads :) It's just logistical economics. I need water, to wash this 'bucket' out with. No way am I gonna start dashing in and out of a storm, chucking this slop on the land. Then rushing back in to get more water.

I'm so impressed with this stuff I produce, I'm gonna film it, to show a fellow brewer. Ye'll see then what I'm up against. Stuff's like a biological weapon, dreamed up by a mad plumber, to get work.

• Advertisement

Regular plungers will work, as will a power plunger, where a drain gets blocked with the sort of things you'd typically need to shift.

Sticking brewing waste down a domestic drain when you know it'll get blocked up is just a stupid thing to be doing. Plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭greasepalm

He is pissed and does not care,oh what a life lol

:rolleyes: Right, here we go; The Gang Of Dicks have found my thread. I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭Markcheese

All perfectly legal, lads :) It's just logistical economics. I need water, to wash this 'bucket' out with. No way am I gonna start dashing in and out of a storm, chucking this slop on
    the land. Then rushing back in to get more water.

I'm so impressed with this stuff I produce, I'm gonna film it, to show a fellow brewer. Ye'll see then what I'm up against. Stuff's like a biological weapon, dreamed up by a mad plumber, to get work.

I'm interested in the beer and the brewing process ,
    But I'd be worried about you drains , can you not just get a couple of 10 litre buckets and drill loads of holes in one then line it wirh some sort of filter paper and leave it to drain , compost the solids ,pour away the liquid ...
    Or find a neighbour with a few pigs or chickens and give the whole lot as animal feed ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    I'm interested in the beer and the brewing process

PM me :)

I've cut the dicks off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭con747

I got one in Aldi about 10 years ago for about €5.99 back then and have used it a few times a year ever since and it's still going strong. It will take a bit of muscle to compress it fully but works well. If your doing a blockage that has other waste pipes feeding into it like a shower and sink using the same waste pipe put a towel or something on the one your not blasting. I learned that the hard way!

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Thanks, Con :)

Yeah, I'm a bit miffed: Few yo one, on SF, actually gets Great reviews?! Wow! 'Professional' one, again. But, how many people used the cheap as chips one Once. Sorted One blockage and thought it better than sliced?

I'd pay for the pro one. I like good gear. Sadly, I can see me ending up with what ever it is I've seen in town :o

And, no: Thankfully, my set up's about as basic as it gets. Waste pipe goes from the U, six feet. Downward elbow into the drain outside. I could take the trap out, every time. Feed my 'plumbers snake' down that six feet ....? I'm just of the mind that constantly messing with it will weaken it. Probably end up with a leak.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭con747

Thanks, Con :)

Yeah, I'm a bit miffed: Few yo one, on SF, actually gets Great reviews?! Wow! 'Professional' one, again. But, how many people used the cheap as chips one Once. Sorted One blockage and thought it better than sliced?

I'd pay for the pro one. I like good gear. Sadly, I can see me ending up with what ever it is I've seen in town :o

And, no: Thankfully, my set up's about as basic as it gets. Waste pipe goes from the U, six feet. Downward elbow into the drain outside. I could take the trap out, every time. Feed my 'plumbers snake' down that six feet ....? I'm just of the mind that constantly messing with it will weaken it. Probably end up with a leak.

If you use the snake there's not much chance of doing damage to any seals on the pipe. If it hits resistance just pull it back and go again and it will be ok.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

No, it's the general unscrewing, rescrewing of the trap, to be honest. I don't like pulling things about which are really made to just be there.

I'll be washing a bucket, in a day or three. I'll actually get some film of this stuff. Honestly be easier than trying to convey it in type. I really feel a high pressure shot of water would shift it best though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,948 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Your wasting good nutrients down the drain and causing yourself more work in the process.

Be sensible pour it in another bucket outside and wash with an outside hose.

People aren't being dicks for suggesting your current plan is crap. Which it is.

People are being dicks because they're dicks. Please don't bother trying to deflect the clear and patently obvious.

If ye hear me in a deep hole, throw a rope down, then say I'm an idiot for not grabbing it? Who turns out to be the idiot when it's shown my hands are injured?

Everyone's " Pour, Pour Pour It! ". I'm a bit tired of explaining this stuff is indescribably thick and viscous. I've already said I have to scoop it out.

Oh, and as for playing around outside, in that storm, with an imaginary outside hose? Feel free to come here and demonstrate that!

Far too many assumptions made around here. Some people should reel it in.

People are being dicks because they're dicks. Please don't bother trying to deflect the clear and patently obvious.

If ye hear me in a deep hole, throw a rope down, then say I'm an idiot for not grabbing it? Who turns out to be the idiot when it's shown my hands are injured?

Everyone's " Pour, Pour Pour It! ". I'm a bit tired of explaining this stuff is indescribably thick and viscous. I've already said I have to scoop it out.

Oh, and as for playing around outside, in that storm, with an imaginary outside hose? Feel free to come here and demonstrate that!

Far too many assumptions made around here. Some people should reel it in.

You’d swear you were offshore running solo on a lifeboat, battling a gale and trying to stop yourself being scuttled on the rocks. All the drama.

If you’re doing something you just shouldn’t, and planning to keep doing it all the while wanting encouragement and support for your foolish escapades, you might be disappointed by the reaction of some fairly savvy DIY sorts on here.

“I’m going to do stupid things and create problems for myself and ignore all the good advice you have to offer. Shut up and tell me I’m a rural legend”

Eh, no. Don’t do something that you know will block your drains. If you don’t like that advice, that’s just tough luck. It’s still good advice. What you’re doing is stupid.

And as Forest Gump says, “Stupid is as stupid does”.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Stigura, give over with the dramatic licence, you don't own the thread, nor have liberty to abuse people for giving their opinions.

Advertisement