Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would moving to Killarney be a bad idea?

Options
  • 10-02-2020 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Flying a thought around at the moment….but a thought that may take serious consideration.I currently live just outside Dublin with my husband and 2 children. Both myself and my husband work full time. Children both go to a local primary school – one nearing the end of primary and one in the middle of the primary cycle.While we are all relatively happy with where we live – neither myself or my husband are local, but we have made some nice friends over the 10 years we have been here. However, recently, we have become more and more disillusioned with the rat race – commuting is taking up a lot of our time, and evenings are spent with one of us running around after children’s activities, and the other either working / shopping etc. Seems proper family time is being squeezed.
    We are in a lucky position whereby we have paid off our mortgage, and have some savings. House worth approx.. 400k.

Over the years, we have said we would love to give our children a more rural upbringing ( probably more my husband than I, but I am not totally against it). We have always loved Kerry, and in particular, Killarney, but I still have a number of concerns before we really look into it seriously. My husband currently works as an engineer in a pharma company / I am a project manager.I would like to be able to take more of a back seat, and be around for the children more – ie maybe work PT, or in a less time consuming role at least.

· Based on experience, can anyone advise what Killarney is like as a town to integrate “ strangers” into? I would have concerns around the children – uprooting them at this time in their lives, could have a detrimental impact – or could be the best thing ever….Both are very happy in their community activities and school – and part of me doesn’t want to upset that.

· What are the schools – primary and secondary like in Killarney?

· I currently live about 30 minutes from my parents (who live in Dublin)–and I am extremely close to them. Both late seventies/eighties – ok health wise – but I would absolutely dread being the other side of the country, if something happened. This is probably one of the main things holding me back from really pushing forward with this idea.

· Work wise – my husband could put his hand to anything really – doesn’t need to be pharma, and I don’t need to stay in my field either – tbh, I am very much a people person, and would love working in one of the local hotels / tourist spots!

Not sure what ‘advice’ or feedback I am looking for here – maybe just other peoples thoughts and experiences, especially if you have moved – ever any regrets?

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Why not rent out your house in Dublin for 1-2 years rather than selling it and likewise rent in Killarney so you can use the time to assess whether you want to make a long term commitment or not. If for whatever reason it doesn't work out, you can move back to Dublin relatively hassle free to your old home.

Kids are far more adaptable than adults to change so I think it would be less of an issue for them. I'd make sure you or your husband have a certainty regarding jobs before you move too. Has you husband looked at job opportunities in or close to his expertise in Killarney? Killorglin and Tralee are just half hour drives away with a fair number of industries so they are options for shortish commutes too.

Do you have siblings near your parents in the event of emergencies? If not, while it's nice to be able to live close to parents, you can't let not being near them prevent you from pursuing your dreams as this could lead to resentment later on for you.

If both of you are itching for this then I think it's a case of now or never. I'm sure you've done it bit both of you should write out lists separately of all the pros and cons (dont be influencing eachother so it's honest: ie a pro for you might be a con for him so let it be known when you share your lists) and then merge them together afterwards so you can both see together a collective for or against document. If the pros outweigh the cons, I think you have your answer.

I'm not going to detail all what Killarney has to offer as I'm sure you've researched that already suffice it to say it is a great buzzing town all year round and is large enough to have all the facilities yet retreat to rural destinations within minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭JJTippBhoy

Killarney is a great spot to raise a family. I'm a blow in but was always made welcome. If one of your kids is nearing end of primary then that's a great time to move as the move to secondary will be easier in 1st year than in 2nd or 3rd year.
    Schools are plenty & very good. Loads of options for kids to get involved in after school activities. There is a great vibe about the town all year long. Give it a go. You won't be sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

I will try and answer this. But I am a single guy who has recently relocated to Kerry.
    I think it is a fantastic place. It's got a great pace of life. I call it the Carribbean of Ireland.
    Any of the families I know around here probably wouldn't raise their kids anywhere else.

There is so much to do. Been outdoor and active is such a part of life down here.

The only downside I can see is your parents in Dublin. There is a reason Kerry fans only travel for all Ireland's. It is so far away from Dublin or a lot of places in the country. I didn't realise it until I moved down. If I want to go home for the weekend it involves 8 hours in the car. I have stopped going home as much. This could be an issue if you want to see your parents regularly. Yes there is flights and trains but they still take a lot of time.

This is something you need to try out. Maybe trialing it for a year might be a good option for that reason.

Regarding jobs, it is handy to know that there is actually a few pharma companies in the area. Check out Killorglin 15 minutes from Killarney in particular. May get a role out there.

But overall the quality and pace of life here is great. The people are great. And there is so much spectacular free stuff to do in Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭dobman88

@boredatwork where in the name of jaysus are you travelling to/from that takes 8 hours in the car?? Kerry to Letterkenny in Donegal is only about 5 and a half.

To the OP, youd do Kerry to Dublin in 4 hours and that's travelling at your leisure. When you're going to visit family it's no time at all. I live in Meath and get home as often as I can and it never seems like a long journey. Couldn't recommend Killarney enough, I'm not from the town but lived there for 5 years and we are putting a plan in place to move down there asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Why not look at Kinsale.

Semi Rural and beside Ireland's pharma industry and plenty of project management positions.

Killarney is a great town, but might be a little out of the way for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Four hours each way I'd wager. Although I have done Dingle->Dublin in 2.5 hours several times.

Not sure about 15 mins from Killorglin to Killarney though! More like 25-30mins.

@OP-

-A lot of Killarney ones came to my secondary school in Killorglin when I was young; ISK. Read into that what you will.
    -Killorglin has a pharma company whose name escapes me!
    -Killarney is obviously very touristy as are areas around Killorglin.

I grew up nearby in Glenbeigh. Killarney wouldn't be a bad shout in fairness. Plenty of facilities in the town and not too far from work opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭CinderKone

2 1/2 hours Dingle to Dublin! It’s 350kms - that’s some going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

CinderKone wrote: »
    2 1/2 hours Dingle to Dublin! It’s 350kms - that’s some going.

Some how I think the poster is bragging just a tad.

Dingle to Adare (135km secondary roads) at the very best of times is hour and a half. That's zero traffic and driving well beyond the speed limit.

Adare to Dublin red cow (210km) is hour and a half too. And again, that's pelting it and allowing for no holdups at all.

I prefer driving at reasonable speeds and arriving alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Darc19 wrote: »
    Why not look at Kinsale.

Semi Rural and beside Ireland's pharma industry and plenty of project management positions.

Killarney is a great town, but might be a little out of the way for you.

Kinsale is full of blow ins and twats. I gave 32 years of my life from a 4th generation family and was delighted to get out of the place..

Lovely place.. lovely lifestyle.. lots of **** head notions folks.

mauraf wrote: »
    I would have concerns around the children – uprooting them at this time in their lives, could have a detrimental impact – or could be the best thing ever….Both are very happy in their community activities and school – and part of me doesn’t want to upset that

The question you raised is so profoundly nuanced that wouldn't even attempt to decide whether it is right for a stranger to uproot and move.

But would look at what the kids are into. I mean, if it's hiking and football Killarney is wonderful, but if it's hockey and athletics...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭CinderKone

Darc19 wrote: »
    Some how I think the poster is bragging just a tad.

Dingle to Adare (135km secondary roads) at the very best of times is hour and a half. That's zero traffic and driving well beyond the speed limit.

Adare to Dublin red cow (210km) is hour and a half too. And again, that's pelting it and allowing for no holdups at all.

I prefer driving at reasonable speeds and arriving alive.

...and at busy times you can be stuck in Adare for days!

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

I mean, if it's hiking and football Killarney is wonderful, but if it's hockey and athletics...

Don't know about the hockey but athletes are well served in Killarney, and one of the best tracks in the country is in Castleisland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Radio5

-A lot of Killarney ones came to my secondary school in Killorglin when I was young; ISK. Read into that what you will.
    -Killorglin has a pharma company whose name escapes me!
    -Killarney is obviously very touristy as are areas around Killorglin

Just to address with those 3 points.

-school situation has largely changed in recent years with the 3 secondary schools in Killarney St Brendan's (boys) Presentation (girls) and Community College (mixed) taking the vast bulk of local students now.
    -Astellas.
    -Yes that's true. Killarney has substantial traffic problems all year round and this gets worse once tourist season kicks in. I'd expect Killorglin has issues also with the 1 bridge etc.

I live in and am from Killarney.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    Four hours each way I'd wager. Although I have done Dingle->Dublin in 2.5 hours several times.

Not sure about 15 mins from Killorglin to Killarney though! More like 25-30mins.

That's it exactly. By the time you get through Adare, stop for a break it is easily four hours each way.

It's tough going to do the drive non stop. Sometimes I do it.

It's 22 minutes from Killorglin to the Ballycasheen road Killarney. I do it most days around 4 or 5 pm. That's a good bit beyond the car park in Killarney if you are going into the town. Now sometimes you can get stuck behind a bus or something. But for the most part its grand.

Although that road might start getting busier with the Fexco R&D centre.

Advertisement