Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming against a driver for an accident, step by step

• 10-02-2020 2:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am not looking for legal advice,just some guidance.

A driver hit my car recently,resuting in injury and damage to my car,how do I claim?

I have seen my doctor for the injury but do I bring my car to a mechanic to be assessed and then contact the provider or do I contact them first and follow their lead for repairs etc?

I have never been in an accident before so have no clue what to do.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

1. See your doctor - done
    2. Notify your insurer for record purposes
    3. Notify the 3rd party's insurers of your intention to claim against them.
    4. Obtain an estimate for your repairs and give it to the 3rd party's insurer
    5. If there is any dispute with liability, appoint a solicitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

1. See your doctor - done
    2. Notify your insurer for record purposes
    3. Notify the 3rd party's insurers of your intention to claim against them.
    4. Obtain an estimate for your repairs and give it to the 3rd party's insurer
    5. If there is any dispute with liability, appoint a solicitor.

Thank you very much,I am currently completing step 2 and will follow theirs and your information.

Thanks again,this is literally what i wanted to know and you have outlined it simply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Don’t forget to report the incident at the relevant Garda station. The record will be necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Don't accept however much you are offered.

You never accept the first offer, and they expect you to not accept it. It's all a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Thanks for all your input

Just to add some dimension to the story the other driver refused to take my details,he knew he was in the wrong and basically accepted liability, now whether he contacted his insurer to inform them is a different story but I have all the information I need.

The incident happened in a car park and no guards were involved either

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement