Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celtic tiger

Options
  • 10-02-2020 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭

This is something I have come across recently.

Are there some properties that will never return ot Celtic tiger prices even in very desirable areas? traditional 3/4 bed semis bounced back very quickly but any property that was over 700/800k or even a million with odd layouts such as a 4 bed over 4 flours or other weirdness to try and get a house on the smallest footfall possible with little to no parking have never recovered and may never recover?

The reason it is its relevant is that when it comes to reselling traditional layouts and parking will always trump open-plan layouts and things like four-floor over four floors.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Envelope436

I bought 4 bedrooms over 3 floors, limited parking, during boom. Recently sold. Price never fully recovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

mariaalice wrote: »
    This is something I have come across recently.

Are there some properties that will never return ot Celtic tiger prices even in very desirable areas? traditional 3/4 bed semis bounced back very quickly but any property that was over 700/800k or even a million with odd layouts such as a 4 bed over 4 flours or other weirdness to try and get a house on the smallest footfall possible with little to no parking have never recovered and may never recover?

The reason it is its relevant is that when it comes to reselling traditional layouts and parking will always trump open-plan layouts and things like four-floor over four floors.

Quirky houses are a niche market. Most people are conservative when it comes to the big purchases. Location is still the biggest factor.

What I have noticed is extended properties in housing estates do not reach prices sellers seem to want. While they may have spent a lot of money adding extra rooms people don't want to pay the extra costs for it. I have seen a few 5 bed houses on the market a while in areas of 3 bed houses. Even if you were to buy a property in the area and build the extensions to get the same it will cost you more but people won't buy them. Ideal for landlords but they aren't buying due to the array of dangers built up.

Advertisement