Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacement for Virgin?

• 10-02-2020 5:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm trying to get away from Virgin but everyone seems to work off of the phone lines which sadly, in my house are on the opposite side from where I need my network connection to be. My network must be wired. I have an office in the back of my house which is where the Virgin connection comes in and the router is wired to.

Are there any companies that offer at minimum 50mb that can go off of the same coaxial(?) cable that Virgin use? Or does everything have to go through DSL?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

VM own the cable network, other ISPs are not able to use it at present and there's no rule to force them to.

That means your only other practical options are:
    > DSL over the telephone line
    > SIRO or Eir FTTH (if available)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

As above, I'm stuck with Virgin until Fibre is available in my area.

Non of the dsl offerings are a patch on Virgin speeds. 8MB available at my house with the phone line. I'm on 250MB with Virgin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Mr.S wrote: »
    Out of interest, why the need to move from Virgin? I've always found them pretty cheap and reliable.

Rumoured to be launching gibabit connections in the coming months also.

I had massive packet loss issues with them last year which lasted over a month. I was on to their tech support team to try resolve the issue and their solution(after about 5 calls) was for me to upgrade to a different package, which is now the 250mb connection.

I was on 60mb, and they needed to get me off that package as it was much cheaper. The issue didn't resolve when I upgraded and they wouldn't bring me back to 60mb. I can get 70mb for 35 euro elsewhere, which is more than adequate for my household. Lets be honest, nobody needs 1gb internet. 250mb is even pointless for 99% of users. It's looking like I'll have to network my house in order to get a connection in the back room

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Mr.S wrote: »
    Out of interest, why the need to move from Virgin? I've always found them pretty cheap and reliable.

Rumoured to be launching gibabit connections in the coming months also.
    Reliable, generally yes.
    Cheap? Absolutely not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭tnegun

Thought I'd never move from them but pulled the plug after 10 years to go with Vodafone. Was on the 360 unlimited with Virgin but the last increase was too much and they've extracted €74 from me for the last month as I cancelled so good riddance!!

Vodafone has been solid for the month. There are 6 of us in the house and we'd be heavy users 1-1.5TB down per month. No stuttering or anything like it when streaming, we've 3 smart TVs, 4/5 tablets, game consoles the lot and I've not had a single complaint since we switched Vodafone is €25 a month for 6 months then €40 for 6 and I can jump to any other provider when my contract is up rather than being locked to Virgin and Cable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement