Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building an extension to an old derelict cottage planning?

• 10-02-2020 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

Hi

I'm looking at information towards Building an extension to an old derelict cottage without any planning

I've got information that the cottage can be knocked and rebuilt without planning to the size it was at previously, or built upwards also, 2 levels, but this would be costly, whearas an extension much less.

Its the standard old cottage sizes around ireland that are fairly small.

Is it possible to keep some of the old structure (gable ends) and integrate them to build along with the 40sqm extension without planning needed as the cottage itself has never had any previous extension and doesn't seem feasable doing it any other way?

https://selfbuild.ie/advice/planning-permission-extensions/

Where the house has not been extended previously, the floor area of any such extension shall not exceed 40sqm.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭bemak

Shazamm wrote: »
    Hi

I'm looking at information towards Building an extension to an old derelict cottage without any planning

I've got information that the cottage can be knocked and rebuilt without planning to the size it was at previously, or built upwards also, 2 levels, but this would be costly, whearas an extension much less.

Is it possible to keep some of the old structure (gable ends) and integrate them to build along with the 40sqm extension without planning needed as the cottage itself has never had any previous extension and doesn't seem feasable doing it any other way?

Where the house has not been extended previously, the floor area of any such extension shall not exceed 40sqm.

Demolition = development and is not exempt from planning

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Shazamm wrote: »
    Hi

1. I'm looking at information towards Building an extension to an old derelict cottage without any planning

2. I've got information that the cottage can be knocked and rebuilt without planning to the size it was at previously,
    3. or built upwards also, 2 levels,

but this would be costly, whearas an extension much less.

4. Is it possible to keep some of the old structure (gable ends) and integrate them to build along with the 40sqm extension without planning needed as the cottage itself has never had any previous extension and doesn't seem feasable doing it any other way?

5. Where the house has not been extended previously, the floor area of any such extension shall not exceed 40sqm.
    1. In order to renovate a derelict building planning is required.
    2. That information is incorrect. None of this is possible without seeking planning.
    3. As per 2.
    4. None of this is possible without planning in the case.
    5. As per 4.

Advertisement