Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMA: Congenital heart defect and congestive heart failure survivor

• 10-02-2020 10:21pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Like the title up there says I was born with a defect in my heart known as tetralogy of fallot. This was surgically repaired when I was three months of age, and started me on seeing so many cardiologists. Now skip ahead to this past December when I was starting to be unable to do anything physical without becoming exhausted. I went in to my nearest emergency room where my pulse was 142 beats a minute. Once they saw that I was rather quickly assigned a bed and diagnosed with congestive heart failure.

Over the following week I shed the excess fluid weight I had been retaining(around 40 lbs.), got my pulse and blood pressure down and learned I also had an atrial flutter. I left the hospital with a long list of medications, a low sodium diet, and more doctor appointments in my future. I will be having a cardioversion this week in an attempt to correct the atrial flutter.

So, the floor is open ask me anything.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Like the title up there says I was born with a defect in my heart known as tetralogy of fallot. This was surgically repaired when I was three months of age, and started me on seeing so many cardiologists. Now skip ahead to this past December when I was starting to be unable to do anything physical without becoming exhausted. I went in to my nearest emergency room where my pulse was 142 beats a minute. Once they saw that I was rather quickly assigned a bed and diagnosed with congestive heart failure.

Over the following week I shed the excess fluid weight I had been retaining(around 40 lbs.), got my pulse and blood pressure down and learned I also had an atrial flutter. I left the hospital with a long list of medications, a low sodium diet, and more doctor appointments in my future. I will be having a cardioversion this week in an attempt to correct the atrial flutter.

So, the floor is open ask me anything.

No questions for now, but want to wish you all the very best.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Quick update here:
    Post cardioversion I am in normal sinus rhythm but will still require replacement of one of my valves as it is weakening one half of my heart. Apparently, it is quite leaky.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Half?. I know next to nothing about the anatomy of a heart so wondering how it's a half?. Always thought it was quarters with valves for return and flow out. is it a stent you are looking at?.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

The side that handles pumping to the lungs is leaky apparently. That where a valve has sprung a leak. The cardiologist said valve replacement. I wish he said stent.

Advertisement