Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for information on choice of windows

Options
  • 11-02-2020 10:49am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Apologies as I'm rerading through countless articles that disagree with each other...

I'm unsure whether to get double glaze or triple glaze for a house rennovation. The property is southeast-facing - to the front of house will be my son's bedroom (lots of nice light), a home office as well as a sitting room. It is also facing a road in an estate which is not too busy but you'll get cars up an down as with any estate.

The rear of the house will get lots of light in the summer afternoons and it faces a green area with no traffic.

Would a combination of triple glaze in one area and double in another be an idea?

Also, I read that not all double-glaze is equal? Has anyone an article on this that I could read? One glazier said that triple glaze is a waste of money.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Triple glazing provides better sound insulation.

Not all triple glazing windows are the same. It depends on the cavity distance, type of glass and frame insulation

• Registered Users Posts: 28,588 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I decided I would rather have good quality double than cheapo triple. What I got, within the last few months, seems to be very satisfactory.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

looksee wrote: »
    I decided I would rather have good quality double than cheapo triple. What I got, within the last few months, seems to be very satisfactory.

Thanks, how do I know a double glaze window is of good quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,588 ✭✭✭✭looksee

To be honest I am not sure - it was made easy for my because I had had dealings over the last couple of decades with one firm that had given excellent service and quality, so even though it was a big (= expensive) job I went with them for double rather than searching for the cheapest triple glaze.

They did provide me with detailed specs of what I was getting, but it might as well have been written in a foreign language! Their previous jobs had been given a good 'mark' by a BER person that I trusted, and after about 20 years the only issue with them was the handles were losing their finish and needed replacing, otherwise they were perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭talos

looksee wrote: »
    To be honest I am not sure - it was made easy for my because I had had dealings over the last couple of decades with one firm that had given excellent service and quality, so even though it was a big (= expensive) job I went with them for double rather than searching for the cheapest triple glaze.

They did provide me with detailed specs of what I was getting, but it might as well have been written in a foreign language! Their previous jobs had been given a good 'mark' by a BER person that I trusted, and after about 20 years the only issue with them was the handles were losing their finish and needed replacing, otherwise they were perfect.

Can you PM firm's details please?

• Advertisement
Advertisement