Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you voted Sinn Fein in the GE, why did you do it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Jizique wrote: »
    What exactly is the housing issue in Donegal, Roscommon or Cavan, where they got up to and over40% of the vote?

The country being 'Dublin-Centric' is the major part of the problem. Not too many colleges or work opportunities in the areas that you mentioned so Mammy and Daddy on Roscommon wages are having to pay Dublin rents for their little darlings to go to college or work there.
    I voted Independent number 1, but I gave SF a 2 and a 3.

€55m
    E-voting

Martin Cullen ordered more than 700 of the machines at a cost of €51 million, only to have them placed in storage in 2004 when security concerns emerged. Attempts to sell them have so far been unsuccessful.

Machines were sold off recently to a scrap dealer for €9 each... True story !!
    (Chips had to be removed first - no doubt someone probably got 100 quid a machine for that.. :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Whatever about people voting for SF in the name of change.. how in the hell have the people decided FF should be forgiven so quickly?!
    There's a forgiveness scale:

* Wrecking the country by mistake/incompetence: c.10 years.
    * Wrecking the country deliberatly by force of arms: c. 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

+1 million,

You also have a whole group of people who went to college, did a degree in origami and a masters in gender studies, died their hair blue, covered themselves in visible tattoos, spent their 20s smoking weed and working on and off in coffee shops and are entering their 30s with no partners, no savings, no career progression and are now giving out that they deserve to own a house within commuting distance of dublin off the councils back or a piddly amount mortgage.

This housing crisis is two fold, its a lack of supply for those who work and an overblown anger by people who havent performed at all or intentionally underperformed in life now wanting the same outcome as their parents who worked 40 hours a week and fought hard for what they have.

We should be looking after our full time workers who are making an effort. They should be looked after long before the ‘foreva home’ crew.

As FG/FF found out recently, you have to prioritise helping those who get up early in the morning.

A tax cut of ~€5 for workers, then increasing the dole by €5?! That pissed off a lot of people, the same people who might have voted for them.

The social welfare crowd were never going to vote for FG/FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Because of the 3 major parties, their position on abortion was the least ambiguous - they supported the referendum on appeal, they evicted members that didn't and, if the major party, will *probably* be supportive of repealing the 3 day shaming period and other restrictions when the legislation comes up for review. FF is weak on abortion, FG better than FF, but SF pretty open and consistent with how they behave.

Not that you can ever trust a politician, but when your choices are SF, FF, FG and a bunch of reactionary independents, SF looks best.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Igotadose wrote: »
    Because of the 3 major parties, their position on abortion was the least ambiguous - they supported the referendum on appeal, they evicted members that didn't and, if the major party, will *probably* be supportive of repealing the 3 day shaming period and other restrictions when the legislation comes up for review. FF is weak on abortion, FG better than FF, but SF pretty open and consistent with how they behave.

Not that you can ever trust a politician, but when your choices are SF, FF, FG and a bunch of reactionary independents, SF looks best.

You are seriously taking the pi** now with those comments.

I am not anti abortion, but if I were I could see a useful headline there.
    Sinn fein, as usual ambivalent about innocent deaths.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

Just heard Michelle O Neill saying that 500,000 people have just voted for Irish unity. Is this true is that what ye voted for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Phoebas wrote: »

* Wrecking the country by mistake/incompetence: c.10 years.

Both crazy to me. I voted FG/Green

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

poolboy wrote: »
    Just heard Michelle O Neill saying that 500,000 people have just voted for Irish unity. Is this true is that what ye voted for?

Ah sure you might as well add the £10 billion annual NI bill to the rest of the increased spending.

Taxing the rich will pay for it all. :D

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Phoebas wrote: »

?????
    The country????
    The only people wreaking the republic of Ireland during the height of the troubles in the 70s and 80s were ff and fg with scumbags like haughey in charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    We should be looking after our full time workers who are making an effort. They should be looked after long before the ‘foreva home’ crew.

As FG/FF found out recently, you have to prioritise helping those who get up early in the morning.

A tax cut of ~€5 for workers, then increasing the dole by €5?! That pissed off a lot of people, the same people who might have voted for them.

If FG are smart they will move slightly to the right in opposition now and if ever get into power again make sure that they do actually prioritise the needs of the people who get up in the morning. Pick their demographic i.e anyone who works and look after them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52,014 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Lying in bed until the pub, offie or bookies open and then being rewarded for it is not the way to go. The working man paying for it all is very annoying and cannot last. Time the Government got this message.
    If SF continue this policy then they’ll be voted out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

SusieBlue wrote: »
    So basically the only people struggling with affording housing are dole scroungers & blue haired crusty feminists, and that's their own fault.
    Got it. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Im saying those people are putting demand and pressure on a supply of housing stock that shouldnt be there. Dublin house building should only be private and affordable housing and a tiny amount of social housing for families with a long track record of working. The lazy, didnt try's and layabouts should all be told to hell or to rural areas and looked after last.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

poolboy wrote: »

I wouldn't imagine so, but nevertheless I expect one of a few things these stupid galoots will go doing that'll annoy me will be using the Exchequer to fund tilting at windmills in Norn Iron, hi.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Masteryos

It's pretty obvious that looking at some posters in this thread that people have already made their mind up on what they think are the reasons people voted Sinn Fein so I'm going top try and make it easy for them to understand.

There are people out there (especially young people) who are on hard times and are playing by the rules and are finding their quality of life not improving at all. We hear stories of rent costs, people being unable to get a home, homelessness, people waiting on trolleys. Many young people today, even if they worked as hard as young people 20 years ago, aren't having the same chances as those from that time.

When 25% of the population vote for one party, they aren't all spongers of the state, I know some posters on here will have a very hard time grasping this very simple logic. It means there is something wrong in the the Country that the two main parties have failed to fix.

It's way to easy for people to dismiss things with pulling out reports about how great Ireland is, but that doesn't work for people who aren't feeling how great Ireland is. I'll say it again for those who struggle to get it, there are many (young) people out there who work hard and play by the rules who aren't getting the same chances as young people 20 years would have gotten. People vote for change when they don't feel the benefits of how "great" their Country is. Working hard only to see most of your wages go towards a landlord who is only in that position thanks to being born earlier than you and not having a chance of owning your own place leaves a very bitter taste.

I really don't think it matters what is said to FF or FG supporters. They will pull up statics and reports saying how great Ireland is but ignore the homeless population and the amount people are being charged for rent and the % of people who feel hard done by because they simply don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

The unemployment rate is 4.8% many economists consider 5% to be full employment when you take people who can't work for various reasons out.

It's not that there is a lot of lazy people out there living the high life on the dole in a free house. It's that it's gotten too expensive to live and wages haven't risen sufficiently.

20Cent wrote: »
    The unemployment rate is 4.8% many economists consider 5% to be full employment when you take people who can't work for various reasons out.

It's not that there is a lot of lazy people out there living the high life on the dole in a free house. It's that it's gotten too expensive to live and wages haven't risen sufficiently.

No, it's cause everyone is lazy and want free stuff! /s

Masteryos wrote: »
    No, it's cause everyone is lazy and want free stuff! /s

over 43,000 people of working age, not disabled who have never made a prsi contribution , over 62% of the 71000 social housing applicants derive their income from only social welfare (not carers or disabled) with only 10% not claiming any welfare. We have the most disabled workforce in europe.

like it or not we have a laziness problem and the housing list is full of them.

over 43,000 people of working age, not disabled who have never made a prsi contribution , over 62% of the 71000 social housing applicants derive their income from only social welfare (not carers or disabled) with only 10% not claiming any welfare. We have the most disabled workforce in europe.

We also having a housing problem and 535,595 people voted Sinn Fein to help fix this issue, a number that far outreaches the number of people you say who don't work and also kills the myth said by some people that Sinn Fein voters don't work and just want a free house given to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

jmayo wrote: »
    Ah sure you might as well add the £10 billion annual NI bill to the rest of the increased spending.

Taxing the rich will pay for it all. :D

Is that not £17 billion? It doesn’t matter how much it is Mary Lou said she’d make the Brits pay it. It’s like Alice through the Looking Glass. I think she was trotting out these trite answers in sure and certain knowledge that she’d never have to follow through.
    No sign of her this evening. I’d be the same physical build, fitness level and age range as Mary Lou and I can tell you that physically and mentally I’d be fit for nothing today or the rest of the week if I’d had the weekend and the shock she’s had.
    She seems to have let Pearse at it today.

Masteryos wrote: »
    We also having a housing problem and 535,595 people voted Sinn Fein to help fix this issue, a number that far outreaches the number of people you say who don't work and also kills the myth said by some people that Sinn Fein voters don't work and just want a free house given to them.

It doesnt kill anything. We have a housing affordability and supply issue. A big part of that issue is the requirement to build social housing which reduces attractiveness to developers, expends land, decreases supply to the private market. Im proposing to make housing more affordable by killing the requirement for most social housing inside the M50 and in dublin commuter towns, similar for cork, limerick and galway too. Prioritise those who work and want to / can buy a home at a reasonable price , then we deal with the waste afterwards.

the central bank limits are rock solid and a good thing
    Land zoning needs reform to a japanese model , everywhere is game for residential and only in certain areas are commercial etc.. allowed after
    We need to reduce some standards like dual aspect on apartments
    we need to increase heights and density's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

One of the choices in the survey was regarding a Border Poll within the lifetime of this government.
    I'm curious to find out what people think about this. Nobody knows the answer as to the yes/ no proportion until the question is asked for real but if it came back with a 50.1%/ 49.9% split (or closer), would that be enough to change? By the letter of the law, it's a majority. If it was close (either way), I think it would reignite all of the muck from the past. Just look at the consternation across the water no a much less emotive issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

And again, social housing isn't just for the bone idle. Plenty of good hardworking people, paying rents and unable to afford housing.

Far better however for FG/FF lovers to just lump them altogether into the 'track suit wearing single mother foreva home applicant.'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

If FG are smart they will move slightly to the right in opposition now and if ever get into power again make sure that they do actually prioritise the needs of the people who get up in the morning. Pick their demographic i.e anyone who works and look after them.

It's comical how much people are in denial or missing the point.

Are you saying the half a million people who voted SF don't have a job?

It's not about having a job.

Again for the slow learners here in AH:

FF/FG lost because they have failed on housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭limnam

What political parties have watched over this?

limnam wrote: »
    What political parties have watched over this?

ones that were too afraid of the media and the unions to fix the problems and call out the elephants in the room. Nothing has changed in this regard.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    And again, social housing isn't just for the bone idle. Plenty of good hardworking people, paying rents and unable to afford housing.

Far better however for FG/FF lovers to just lump them altogether into the 'track suit wearing single mother foreva home applicant.'

10% of the housing list is this.
    62% are officially bone idle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

FF/FG lost because they have failed on housing.

So tell us, what is your definition of 'success in housing'? What does that mean and how would you achieve it?

ones that were too afraid of the media and the unions to fix the problems and call out the elephants in the room. Nothing has changed in this regard.

So why would people on SW not vote FG/FF?

limnam wrote: »
    So why would people on SW not vote FG/FF?

many do in the locals when a good lad gets there sister a 'free gaf' , some do as the local lad is known well down the pub, many don't as other parties promise them more free things and by christ they love free things.

• Advertisement

BarryD2 wrote: »
    So tell us, what is your definition of 'success in housing'? What does that mean and how would you achieve it?

There's some great posts which covered this already. Have a read of the threads.

It's not that difficult.

But I think anything that has us not running over old men paralyzing them on the canal is a step forward.

Advertisement