Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you voted Sinn Fein in the GE, why did you do it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

We have the most disabled workforce in europe.

Hardly a surprise.

One million people on waiting lists for acute hospitals - IHCA

Sounds like fantastic fun too.

Ireland worst country in western Europe to have a disability

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

19% of Irelands working age population claims disability benefit (so they don't have to work). This compares with 3% in Romania.

Why the difference? Well there's not much of a welfare state in Romania you see. So that 3% represents the true, genuine cases of disability.

We have an enormous cohorts of welfare frauds in this country (16% of the country according to the above).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

19% of Irelands working age population claims disability benefit (so they don't have to work). This compares with 3% in Romania.

Why the difference? Well there's not much of a welfare state in Romania you see. So that 3% represents the true, genuine cases of disability.

We have an enormous cohorts of welfare frauds in this country (16% of the country according to the above).

If true, good job FG are out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭limnam

Boggles wrote: »

Some people can't get a local GP as they're not accepting more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

limnam wrote: »
    There's some great posts which covered this already. Have a read of the threads.

It's not that difficult.

I have and all I can take from them is that 'success in housing' means different things to different people. What would often keep one cohort happy would piss off another.

So I find it hard to see what the solution looks like in practice. Can you help?

• Advertisement

many do in the locals when a good lad gets there sister a 'free gaf' , some do as the local lad is known well down the pub, many don't as other parties promise them more free things and by christ they love free things.

Ah ok.

So having scroungers in the electrical base is not exclusive to SF.

Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

It doesnt kill anything. We have a housing affordability and supply issue. A big part of that issue is the requirement to build social housing which reduces attractiveness to developers, expends land, decreases supply to the private market. Im proposing to make housing more affordable by killing the requirement for most social housing inside the M50 and in dublin commuter towns, similar for cork, limerick and galway too. Prioritise those who work and want to / can buy a home at a reasonable price , then we deal with the waste afterwards.

Lorcan Sirr probably the most eminent voice on the Irish housing problem was on Morning Ireland today.
    He began by stating that he is not a SF member or supporter and then continued to state that on public lands throughout all of this country there are serviced sites already for 100,000 houses at this very moment in time.

He further went onto state that the only reason these lands aren't being developed and houses constructed is due solely to the economic housing policy applied by this and the previous govt, including labour, who prefer/preferred to leave development to private forces.

He actually quoted a figure of 75 houses which were built in an entire year under Alan Kelly when he was Envt/ Housing minister.

If SF applies a housing policy which is counter to the FF/FG private development model I will be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

19% of Irelands working age population claims disability benefit (so they don't have to work).

Could we see a link with that figure please?

BarryD2 wrote: »
    I have and all I can take from them is that 'success in housing' means different things to different people. What would often keep one cohort happy would piss off another.

So I find it hard to see what the solution looks like in practice. Can you help?

If you read them and can't understand them.

I don't think I can help.

But as I said. If we can stop paralizing people on the canals. It would be a start

10% of the housing list is this.
    62% are officially bone idle.

The housing list is different to social housing don't you know?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

I gave them a second preference. It wasn't because I wanted to see a load of sore whingers throwing their toys out of the pram when they didn't get what they wanted, and demanding that people explain themselves. I'm genuinely quite surprised at the undignified reaction on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Lorcan Sirr probably the most eminent voice on the Irish housing problem was on Morning Ireland today.
    He began by stating that he is not a SF member or supporter and then continued to state that on public lands throughout all of this country there are serviced sites already for 100,000 houses at this very moment in time.

He further went onto state that the only reason these lands aren't being developed and houses constructed is due solely to the economic housing policy applied by this and the previous govt, including labour, who prefer/preferred to leave development to private forces.

He actually quoted a figure of 75 houses which were built in an entire year under Alan Kelly when he was Envt/ Housing minister.

If SF applies a housing policy which is counter to the FF/FG private development model I will be happy.

Ok, ill take that, How will SF pay for these 100,000 houses and how do they prevent these developments becoming absolute slums in a decade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

And again, social housing isn't just for the bone idle. Plenty of good hardworking people, paying rents and unable to afford housing.

Far better however for FG/FF lovers to just lump them altogether into the 'track suit wearing single mother foreva home applicant.'

How about people taking personal responsibility for situations. I was living in Dublin and decided toleave when rents started to go up. I did not expect the government to provide me with a house in Dublin so came up with a plan to save like the bejaysus, move outside Dublin, buy a house and commute.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Incredibly dodgy logic.. what if Romania just doesn't give a **** about its disabled people and doesn't acknowledge a lot of them? Might explain why we have so many deformed beggars on the streets of Europe

How about people taking personal responsibility for situations. I was living in Dublin and decided toleave when rents started to go up. I did not expect the government to provide me with a house in Dublin so came up with a plan to save like the bejaysus, move outside Dublin, buy a house and commute.

Good for you.
    Export everyone to Leitrim is your solution.
    Okay Cromwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Ok, ill take that, How will SF pay for these 100,000 houses and how do they prevent these developments becoming absolute slums in a decade.

Building a house and having a mortgage on it is far more efficient and cost effective than the HAP payments and putting up people in hotels.

20Cent wrote: »
    Building a house and having a mortgage on it is far more efficient and cost effective than the HAP payments and putting up people in hotels.

that really didnt answer my question. 99% of those living in hotels/bnbs at present will never qualify for a mortgage nor have any interest in it.

that really didnt answer my question. 99% of those living in hotels/bnbs at present will never qualify for a mortgage nor have any interest in it.

The intend to build on public land so that cost is gone.
    Could build a decent house for 250k mortgage on that spread over a long period would be a lot less than paying a private landlord.

So we won't build in case they become slums.
    Well there's plenty of slums already which were overseen by the main parties of Law and Order plus we're paying millions annually to private landlords already in rents.
    The money is there. The will or economic policy isn't, that's all thats missing.

20Cent wrote: »
    The intend to build on public land so that cost is gone.
    Could build a decent house for 250k mortgage on that spread over a long period would be a lot less than paying a private landlord.

I understand that, but that doesn't help anyone unemployed, its social housing theyve promised to build and only 10% of social housing applicants are in full time employment.

• Advertisement

So we won't build in case they become slums.
    Well there's plenty of slums already which were overseen by the main parties of Law and Order plus we're paying millions annually to private landlords already in rents.
    The money is there. The will or economic policy isn't, that's all thats missing.

im not saying don't because slums but when you have areas that have too much social housing you get slums , how do you prevent that and yet again 'we have the money' how much money is it and where is it ?

Oh but 100,000 social homes are only for the fraction of people in those hotels / b&bs.
    Those in low paid employment would also qualify. What was the figure thrown around, approx €250k for a three bed as opposed to currently €330k?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Good for you.
    Export everyone to Leitrim is your solution.
    Okay Cromwell.

Relax with the hyperbole will you :rolleyes: You should be happy, the lads are hopefully going to do you proud in government. You come across as the stressed out, negative type no matter what the situation.

Oh but 100,000 social homes are only for the fraction of people in those hotels / b&bs.
    Those in low paid employment would also qualify. What was the figure thrown around, approx €250k for a three bed as opposed to currently €330k?

so we're building 100,000 social houses to be mortgaged for 250k to server the 10% of people on the list of 70,000 applicants who would even have a sniff of a chance of getting a mortgage and none of those 100,000 are going to the unemployed because if you admit they are then you have to explain how theyre being paid for and how theyre not going to become slums which neither you or the shinners have the answer for ..... got it.....

It's clear houses need to be built, it's also clear that the market is not supplying them. Ideological issues are the only reason the government wasn't building them this clearly isn't working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Was talking to a civil servant in finance dept today. They are looking forward to Pearce marching in looking for the money we don't have to fix all the issues they promised they'd sort out.

Give them health and housing. They said they would fix them.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

I voted for Greens & Independents cos I was fed up of FG/FF and their constant down playing of housing issues. Whether it was that gob****e Murphy championing vulture fund co-living or smug Pascal Donohoe insisting that because the economy (buoyed by unreliable corporation tax income) everyone is doing well and trickle down is in full effect.

I didn't vote SF cos I don't think they offer any credible plans beyond populism and also because I don't like that their party still includes people like Dessie Ellis. I also don't think they'll last in government once the reality of having to make tough decisions dawns on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

I voted for Greens & Independents cos I was fed up of FG/FF and their constant down playing of housing issues. Whether it was that gob****e Murphy championing vulture fund co-living or smug Pascal Donohoe insisting that because the economy (buoyed by unreliable corporation tax income) everyone is doing well and trickle down is in full effect.

I didn't vote SF cos I don't think they offer any credible plans beyond populism and also because I don't like that their party still includes people like Dessie Ellis. I also don't think they'll last in government once the reality of having to make tough decisions dawns on them.
    Some of their members are well used to making life or death decisions

I understand that, but that doesn't help anyone unemployed, its social housing theyve promised to build and only 10% of social housing applicants are in full time employment.

I think you're still mixing up the social housing/housing list model.

To currently qualify for a Dublin housing list I think the max affordable wage allowed is approx €42k
    As there is a current supply issue most people on the housing list are prioritised as per need and so the persons being looked after first are those earning far far less or unemployed.

If on the other hand enough social housing was available those persons earning €42k would also be available to purchase a home at a reasonable fair price.

I can't really see what the issue is. There are social housing models all over Europe including Holland and Germany which are effective.

And as for slum estates and scum tenants. That's a matter for the Gardai and Housing Authorities but we currently have those problems already under FG and FF govts.

• Advertisement

Relax with the hyperbole will you :rolleyes: You should be happy, the lads are hopefully going to do you proud in government. You come across as the stressed out, negative type no matter what the situation.[/quote

Nope. Sitting here in front of the fire just chillin and shooting the breeze. Like you I moved from Dublin. Over 25 years ago, but not everyone is in a position to do that.
    That was my point.

Advertisement