Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you voted Sinn Fein in the GE, why did you do it?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Geuze wrote: »
    A few responses to this.

Ireland leads Europe in joblessness.

In the midst of low unemployment and labour shortages, we lead Europe in the number of inactive households.

We lead Europe in lone parenthood.

We lead Europe in disabled adults.

See here:

https://www.esri.ie/sites/default/files/media/file-uploads/2020-01/Slides_1.pdf

You can thank Joan Burton for that, circa 2010. Delighted she lost her seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭PressRun

I gave them a second preference. It wasn't because I wanted to see a load of sore whingers throwing their toys out of the pram when they didn't get what they wanted, and demanding that people explain themselves. I'm genuinely quite surprised at the undignified reaction on here.

I'm not at all.
    The same glib sh*te being expressed all over the national airwaves today and yesterday.

Until FG & FF start to seriously reflect on how they ended up in this position and start to actually listen to the reasons for why people have felt disaffected the last decade instead of taking on this arrogant, dismissive tone and talking down to people, they're not going to be able to reconnect with voters. Both parties need to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

AulWan wrote: »

can you please explain how joan burton is responsible for single parents ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Seeing as the sight or sound (especially sound) of Joan Burton would put you off food, the ride and christ knows what else, I'm a bit lost how we could blame her for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

19% of Irelands working age population claims disability benefit (so they don't have to work). This compares with 3% in Romania.

Why the difference? Well there's not much of a welfare state in Romania you see. So that 3% represents the true, genuine cases of disability.

We have an enormous cohorts of welfare frauds in this country (16% of the country according to the above).

Yeah Leo made that claim about welfare fraud to, his dept at the time basically called bollix on his claim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

She cracked down on social welfare fraud. How exactly is it her fault that we have a high single parent rate?

She lost loads of support over it.

19% of the working population on disability sounds incredibly high.

Is that a figure just plucked out of the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

so we're building 100,000 social houses to be mortgaged for 250k to server the 10% of people on the list of 70,000 applicants who would even have a sniff of a chance of getting a mortgage and none of those 100,000 are going to the unemployed because if you admit they are then you have to explain how theyre being paid for and how theyre not going to become slums which neither you or the shinners have the answer for ..... got it.....

Question for you. If we build lots and lots of social housing do you thing the price of non social housing will rise or fall?

She cracked down on social welfare fraud. How exactly is it her fault that we have a high single parent rate?

She lost loads of support over it.

She lost alot of support for taking away the €5 weekly PRSI allowance form working people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Was talking to a civil servant in finance dept today. They are looking forward to Pearce marching in looking for the money we don't have to fix all the issues they promised they'd sort out.

Give them health and housing. They said they would fix them.

Fine Gael are so bitter the cosy cartel is done forever that they're more or less wishing a disaster on the country.true patriots!

• Advertisement

smurgen wrote: »
    Question for you. If we build lots and lots of social housing do you thing the price of non social housing will rise or fall?

I think it depends. If you put loads of social housing in an area it will increase the price in other areas as working people try to avoid social housing and future slums. I think it will reduce the price of housing immediately around social housing, but equally I think building loads of social housing costs money which inevitably increases taxes on working people , reducing their ability to buy a house.

But we're getting away from the question now, how are these 100,000 social houses going to be paid for , if theyre not all social houses, how will SF decrease the cost of building to make them affordable ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

19% of Irelands working age population claims disability benefit (so they don't have to work). This compares with 3% in Romania.

Why the difference? Well there's not much of a welfare state in Romania you see. So that 3% represents the true, genuine cases of disability.

We have an enormous cohorts of welfare frauds in this country (16% of the country according to the above).
    Do you have a link to the 19% figure?...that sounds incredible if true.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Was talking to a civil servant in finance dept today. They are looking forward to Pearce marching in looking for the money we don't have to fix all the issues they promised they'd sort out.

Give them health and housing. They said they would fix them.

And this is the reality of the situation.

It’s going to be comedy gold when SF get into office and people see that they over promised.

She lost alot of support for taking away the €5 weekly PRSI allowance form working people.

She made loads of changes to social welfare including making people work when the child is 12. Not really sure how she caused single parents.

I didn't remember the five euro allowance. Maybe she lost support for both.

gmisk wrote: »
    Do you have a link to the 19% figure?...that sounds incredible if true.
    Thanks

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp9hdc/p8hdc/p9d/

13.5% of the overall population has a disability , trying to see if they drill down to workforce but i doubt that users figures stack up, still the most disabled workforce in europe but not 19%

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp9hdc/p8hdc/p9d/

13.5% of the overall population has a disability , trying to see if they drill down to workforce but i doubt that users figures stack up, still the most disabled workforce in europe but not 19%

That's all the population though. Not working population. Includes old people.

And doesn't mean that they don't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

Because of the slandering they keep getting from the media. It shows to me there's forces behind them that don't want a left wing government in that will look after the people

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

20Cent wrote: »
    Emmet Kirwan summed it up well on tv last night.
    You work hard and you will eventually have your own home and raise a family.
    That is the plan most people have.

This is not possible now for most people.
    No matter how hard you work you will never get your head above water. Paying rent and saving for a home. We've had decades of this and people are looking for other solutions.

FF FG put "the market", multinationals etc first before the population and that has now come back and hit them in the face.

The story of the election is how FF/FG fcuked up so bad people turned to Sinn Fein.

But the true inequality is that those people working hard to save for a home are stuck and stressed on the M50 in the morning, paying for those still in their beds in the city centre who don't have to work...

THAT'S inequality...

from disabled at work section , theres 584,045 disabled people of working age which is 12.4% of the 4.7 million population (2017) so not 19% but still high

• Registered Users Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭limnam

And doesn't mean that they don't work.

We've also one of the lowest social spends on disability in the oecd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

To the large number that voted SF due to housing...
    We were plunged into recession partly due to the arse falling out of the housing market. If the SF plan is to pump money into cheap housing, how does this not massively decrease the value of existing house prices and plunge current home owners into negative equity?

How does that help the housing crisis exactly?

She made loads of changes to social welfare including making people work when the child is 12. Not really sure how she caused single parents.

I didn't remember the five euro allowance. Maybe she lost support for both.

I remember it, the cost to my household income €520 a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Simpleton millennial types who actually think Sinn Fein will give free houses and fix the housing crisis.

Doubt one actually read any Sinn Fein material.

Mindless left populism.

I think Sinn Fein are a crap choice.

Shinners have many dud candidates, Dessie Ellis for example. Ould codger codding them all.

Same with a few of the other chancers, never did nothing but line thier own pockets and take brown envelopes from RA drug dealers.

That’s a brilliant summary of SF, might use that myself! It’s all in there, every aspect of the bull****e that is SF and their deluded voters in one post. Brilliant
    Especially the simpleton millennial types, I keep picturing them behind a megaphone spewing meaningless ****e

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Geuze wrote: »
    A few responses to this.

Ireland leads Europe in joblessness.

In the midst of low unemployment and labour shortages, we lead Europe in the number of inactive households.

We lead Europe in lone parenthood.

We lead Europe in disabled adults.

See here:

https://www.esri.ie/sites/default/files/media/file-uploads/2020-01/Slides_1.pdf

Forgive my ignorance, but why is lone parenthood problematic? Should we be indentured as parents to each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

Because of the slandering they keep getting from the media. It shows to me there's forces behind them that don't want a left wing government in that will look after the people

• Registered Users Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭limnam

Rodin wrote: »
    But the true inequality is that those people working hard to save for a home are stuck and stressed on the M50 in the morning, paying for those still in their beds in the city centre who don't have to work...

THAT'S inequality...

It's FG/FF who have prompt this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

GreeBo wrote: »
    We were plunged into recession partly due to the arse falling out of the housing market. If the SF plan is to pump money into cheap housing, how does this not massively decrease the value of existing house prices and plunge current home owners into negative equity?

There's not enough houses. We need houses.

How does not building houses solve anything?

The Celtic Tiger gave us a lot of unnecessary houses in stupid locations, this is entirely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    And this is the reality of the situation.

It’s going to be comedy gold when SF get into office and people see that they over promised.

As if that's never happened before.
    ROTFLMAO

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

GreeBo wrote: »

Do you honestly think either SF or their voters thing about things this deeply? Get with the programme!

• Advertisement

road_high wrote: »
    That’s a brilliant summary of SF, might use that myself! It’s all in there, every aspect of the bull****e that is SF and their deluded voters in one post. Brilliant
    Especially the simpleton millennial types, I keep picturing them behind a megaphone spewing meaningless ****e

Repeat it next time you're in the pub considering almost one in 4 voters gave them a 1st preference I suspect you could end up missing a few teeth.

Advertisement