Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

If you voted Sinn Fein in the GE, why did you do it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Why do you assume that it is not true?

Just for the craic I'll say it is true.

Just for the comedy value anyway -
    a now sitting SF TD (then a SF councillor) and his director of elections calling to my parent's house where my vote is still registered, handed my elderly mother a SF leaflet and told her "make sure X gets that".

IE, we know where you live.

i.e. your parents were canvassed and he said 'would you give a leaflet to Jimmy too'

It's like something out of Goodfellas alright :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

Following yesterday's reason why I did not vote FF, here are the main reasons I did not vote for FG:

Joan Burton has a degree in commerce. She is also a fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants. She has worked as a lecturer in Accountancy in the DIT.
    When FG and Labour formed the coalition government I would have expected that the position of Minister for Finance be given to someone with experience in commerce.
    Instead the position of M for F was given to Michael Noonan, a former school teacher.

I really disliked the way that FG treated Peter Mathews (rip). He was a qualified Chartered Accountant, who worked for ICC Bank. Before entering politics, he was a consultant on banking and finance.
    I first saw Peter Mathews when he appeared before the finance committee in front of FF politician Mr. Fahy.

He appeared very knowledgable and was highly critical of NAMA. Link: https://youtu.be/wNFbl525fkM

When he decided to run as a candidate for FG, I was hopeful that he would be elected and make a positive addition to the Dail given his intelligence, experience and knowledge.

I thought he would be an obvious candidate for promotion to the cabinet, particularly with regard to the handling of the bank debt which had been forced on the Irish people.
    After all, FG had run for election on a promise that they would tackle the bank debt and come down hard on the bondholders.

Sadly Peter Mathews was ignored, and shifted to the back benches and muzzled. I thought FG would have been delighted to have a man of such integrity and knowledge in their ranks, obviously they were too stupid to realise this.
    (or maybe they were instructed to keep him quiet, who knows?)

In 2012, FG announced that they were not paying the infamous promissory note debt. After their negotiations with the ECB and Mario Draghi, it transpired that instead of asking for a write-down on this debt, it was turned into a sovereign bond which would be paid back by the Irish state over 40 years. Not alone would we be burdened with the €28 billion Anglo Irish debt, but we would be paying €1 billion interest every year on-top of the €28 billion,
    meaning that what was a €28 billion debt was now more than doubled.

For me this was the biggest scandal which has been long since been overshadowed by other unsavory episodes during FG's reign such as:--

the establishment of Irish water, the IRBC Siteserv / GMC/Sierra saga and more lately, the handling of the tender for the construction of the proposed Children's Hospital.

More lately again, the proposed commemoration for the the RIC and Black and Tans.

Lastly, the failure to solve the housing crisis. (there is probably a lot more reasons I have forgotten about)

Excellent post. Add to that Alan Farrell being allowed to stand for election. Heel dragging on Maria Bailey.

I hope someone from FG is reading because going by recent TV interviews they are still clueless as to why they have been ousted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Have SF mentioned anything about high density urban housing i.e. towers?
    Any party that claims they will solve any problem in Dublin without doing that is telling you complete lies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 110 ✭✭Osamabindipper

turbbo wrote: »
    Have SF mentioned anything about high density urban housing i.e. towers?
    Any party that claims they will solve any problem in Dublin without doing that is telling you complete lies.

You mean like they do all over the world?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

It's like something out of Goodfellas alright :rolleyes:

As is disappearing bodies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Following yesterday's reason why I did not vote FF, here are the main reasons I did not vote for FG:

Joan Burton has a degree in commerce. She is also a fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants. She has worked as a lecturer in Accountancy in the DIT.
    When FG and Labour formed the coalition government I would have expected that the position of Minister for Finance be given to someone with experience in commerce.
    Instead the position of M for F was given to Michael Noonan, a former school teacher.

I really disliked the way that FG treated Peter Mathews (rip). He was a qualified Chartered Accountant, who worked for ICC Bank. Before entering politics, he was a consultant on banking and finance.
    I first saw Peter Mathews when he appeared before the finance committee in front of FF politician Mr. Fahy.

He appeared very knowledgable and was highly critical of NAMA. Link: https://youtu.be/wNFbl525fkM

When he decided to run as a candidate for FG, I was hopeful that he would be elected and make a positive addition to the Dail given his intelligence, experience and knowledge.

I thought he would be an obvious candidate for promotion to the cabinet, particularly with regard to the handling of the bank debt which had been forced on the Irish people.
    After all, FG had run for election on a promise that they would tackle the bank debt and come down hard on the bondholders.

Sadly Peter Mathews was ignored, and shifted to the back benches and muzzled. I thought FG would have been delighted to have a man of such integrity and knowledge in their ranks, obviously they were too stupid to realise this.
    (or maybe they were instructed to keep him quiet, who knows?)

In 2012, FG announced that they were not paying the infamous promissory note debt. After their negotiations with the ECB and Mario Draghi, it transpired that instead of asking for a write-down on this debt, it was turned into a sovereign bond which would be paid back by the Irish state over 40 years. Not alone would we be burdened with the €28 billion Anglo Irish debt, but we would be paying €1 billion interest every year on-top of the €28 billion,
    meaning that what was a €28 billion debt was now more than doubled.

For me this was the biggest scandal which has been long since been overshadowed by other unsavory episodes during FG's reign such as:--

the establishment of Irish water, the IRBC Siteserv / GMC/Sierra saga and more lately, the handling of the tender for the construction of the proposed Children's Hospital.

More lately again, the proposed commemoration for the the RIC and Black and Tans.

Lastly, the failure to solve the housing crisis. (there is probably a lot more reasons I have forgotten about)

You sure like your accountants! Having been one, and being married to one, I can safely say that it probably holds the lowest percentage of dynamic people compared to similar type professions. I know senior accountant's who haven't had to make a meaningful decision in their working life. Some real bright people too, don't get me wrong, but they generally don't choose politics.

Glad Irish Water got a little mention though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭limnam

As is disappearing bodies.

FG/FF couldn't hide theirs

They were hung out of ropes and in the waters.

Or in a cervical cancer scandal.

on trollys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

limnam wrote: »

on trollys
    I saw similar hysteria before. Was that one of the tactics on social media?

You can only blame people who try do something. Slinging mud from the oposition is the easiest thing ever. There is a historical opportunity for left to do something and they are already stepping away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,239 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

We're talking about how Social houses coming onboard will impact Negative equity.

I'm asking you to show your work on that.

FG building the most social housing in the last 30 years hasn't affected it

if SF build 100k and FG build 60k

If what you're saying is true both will have an impact?

So all parties have the same problem?

Also.

I never said I voted SF so please avoid making assumptions

We are in thread called "If you voted sinn Fein in the GE, why did you do it?"
    The majority of voters voted for housing and so I posed the question directly to them.
    You decided to answer, so excuse me for assuming you voted for them.

Again, forget about FF or FG or Santa.
    SF are saying they can fix housing.
    Majority of voters here voted for SF because they can fix housing.

I'm still waiting to hear HOW they are going to fix housing.

I know as an opposition party you can just deflect and blame everyone else, but if Mary lou is to be believed, she wants to run the country. That means actually answering these questions and not just continuing to point at other parties.

So, again, HOW?
    (Or, as as a lot of us suspect, is it all just populist bull****?)

on trollys

equating murder for political gain

with the sad facts that in an economic downturn and ensuing pressures more people suffer in our health system or can be pushed towards suicide

is one of the ugliest things ive seen pushed during this election campaign

shame on you

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    We are in thread called "If you voted sinn Fein in the GE, why did you do it?"
    The majority of voters voted for housing and so I posed the question directly to them.
    You decided to answer, so excuse me for assuming you voted for them.

Again, forget about FF or FG or Santa.
    SF are saying they can fix housing.
    Majority of voters here voted for SF because they can fix housing.

I'm still waiting to hear HOW they are going to fix housing.

I know as an opposition party you can just deflect and blame everyone else, but if Mary lou is to be believed, she wants to run the country. That means actually answering these questions and not just continuing to point at other parties.

So, again, HOW?
    (Or, as as a lot of us suspect, is it all just populist bull****?)

If you're not happy to show your work there's no point to continue this.

Show your work.

SF will do 100k in 5 years

FG will do 112k in 7

How will one casue Ne and the other not?

very simply, sf will build the houses and the market will act accordingly.
    people are not entitled to have their property value remain at the same value, and it's not the job of the government to protect property value at the expence of the public good.

How is it for the public good if the vulnerable people are the ones who will end up in negative equity?

The very people you despise so much (#TheWealthy) wont be impacted as I already demonstrated.

shame on you

No, shame on Bertie Ahern who encouraged people to go away and kill themselves.

Shame on harris for hiding cervical cancer results from dieing women.

Shame on you for thinking this is as good as it gets.

Show your work.

So you can't answer how SF are going to solve the housing issue.
    Would have been just easier to admit that chief!

So lets move onto the next largest voter reason: health.
    How are they going to fund their plans to fix the health system?

so you made a stupid claim without an ounce of thought.

Now you're been asked to back it up and you can't

Grand.

Show your work.

SF will do 100k in 5 years

FG will do 112k in 7

How will one casue Ne and the other not?

Or how about we turn this around a bit.
    Your argument against me, is that SF are doing the same thing that FG or FF will do (in fact they are building fewer houses by your own numbers!)

So why vote SF in if they are actually doing LESS than FG were planning?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

So lets move onto the next largest voter reason: health.
    How are they going to fund their plans to fix the health system?

They are gonna build houses. simples:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

You mean like they do all over the world?

Yeah it's lies all round with Trump and Boris now we've got Mary Lou. It really is the end of the world isn't it?

so you made a stupid claim without an ounce of thought.

Now you're been asked to back it up and you can't

Grand.

Can you show where I said ANYONE was able to solve the housing problem?

I can show you where SF said they can solve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,235 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

They are going to build 100,000 houses on state land that the CEO of the Land Development Agency said on Prime Time last night could only fit 3,000.

It will make the miracle of the loaves and fishes look like a walk in the park.

• Advertisement

By his own numbers they wont build as many houses as FG were planning to build....so a vote for SF is actually a vote for FEWER houses....:confused:

blanch152 wrote: »
    They are going to build 100,000 houses on state land that the CEO of the Land Development Agency said on Prime Time last night could only fit 3,000.

It will make the miracle of the loaves and fishes look like a walk in the park.

You can build much smaller houses if you kneecap all the residents....;)

Or how about we turn this around a bit.
    Your argument against me, is that SF are doing the same thing that FG or FF will do (in fact they are building fewer houses by your own numbers!)

So why vote SF in if they are actually doing LESS than FG were planning?

The problem here is you think I was arguing SF are going to solve the housing crisis.

My argument was there's no proof that what you stating is true

I've asked you to show some evidence why you think it will happen and you haven't been able to do it.

You also keep assuming I voted SF.

All these assumptions are not helping your poorly thought out arguments.

Can you show where I said ANYONE was able to solve the housing problem?

I can show you where SF said they can solve it.

You said building 100k homes was going to cause people to go into NE

You've been asked numerous times to show your work

You can't and that's ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

TBH anyone invoking the dead as a means of point scoring should take a good look at themselves. They are plenty of ways of doing it than through this callous MSP approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

You can build much smaller houses if you kneecap all the residents....;)

Some level of conversation in here.

The problem here is you think I was arguing SF are going to solve the housing crisis.

My argument was there's no proof that what you stating is true

I've asked you to show some evidence why you think it will happen and you haven't been able to do it.

You also keep assuming I voted SF.

All these assumptions are not helping your poorly thought out arguments.

Can I suggest you read the thread title before posting again?

What I'm stating is what happened the last time.
    Are you arguing against simple supply & demand economics?
    how do houses in Adamstown stay at the current prices if there are comparable houses for sale in a comparable area for 100K less?

is_that_so wrote: »
    TBH anyone invoking the dead as a means of point scoring should take a good look at themselves. They are plenty of ways of doing it than through this callous MSP approach.

Sure,

We can film people talking in pubs

1. a disgrace

2. a disgrace

3. i dont

equating any of it to terrorist murder is the attitude of a dangerous extremist.

maybe that is what people voted for, but i fervently hope it's in the "in spite of" column myself.

• Advertisement

You said building 100k homes was going to cause people to go into NE

You've been asked numerous times to show your work

You can't and that's ok.

Ok, lets really dumb it down.

1,000 houses are built in your estate for 25% less than you paid for your house.
    Is your argument really that your house wont fall in value?:rolleyes:

Advertisement