Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you voted Sinn Fein in the GE, why did you do it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,385 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I had a look at the exit poll survey last night. The majority of SF voters chose a change of government policies over a new government.

SF voters wanted the same government, without SF, but with better policies.

You couldn’t make it up.

That's a protest vote. Not that extraordinary nor should it be scoffed at. People vote for SF in the hope it causes FF/FG to cop on and listen to the people who voted SF. Not that unusual actually.

I'd be fine if FF/FG both went the way of their older voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Ush1 wrote: »
    Sorry to post this again but it's relevant to this thread.

SF voters are more Fine Gael than Fine Gael!

https://twitter.com/RMcGreevy1301/status/1226849060155465728?s=19

All that does is show that most Sinn Fein voters didn't know what they were voting for.

Yes, there are the die-hard "up the ra" merchants who know exactly what and who their people are, but the rest didn't have a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Ah give it a rest, you were caught out with your nonsense so at least own it. You put options for "commemerating the 1919/1923 fighters" and "nationalising the banks" (which I heard nowt of during the election, or for several years apart from the worst armchair economists, mind you) but you "think you covered" the major topics affecting our country right now?

Just start shouting "Up the 'RA!" and "Brits out!" and leave it at that, this poll is a ****show as is.

Actually, for all its imperfections, it is nonetheless quite revealing. (And when did you ever see an opinion poll that was perfect? :P )

For a start, at teh time of writing, only about 30 per cent of respondents actually voted SF, which is give or take about what their share of the FP vote was.

And of the ones who DID, 85% want them to focus on housing, health or education.

Hardly anyone wants to focus on what you so eloquently described as "Nationalist/Republican wankery".

Now. Let's see what SF actually DO if they get into power. The early indications, from the antics of Ellis, Cullinane et al and the statements from Mary Lou re a border poll are they're giving it the wankery and giving it HARD!!!!

Betraying their voters already, in other words.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

blanch152 wrote: »
    All that does is show that most Sinn Fein voters didn't know what they were voting for...

I interpret it as meaning that a majority of the SF voters this election are actually pissed-off FG voters. Let's hope they haven't gone and sawn off the branch upon which they sit.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

20Cent wrote: »
    Emmet Kirwan summed it up well on tv last night.
    You work hard and you will eventually have your own home and raise a family.
    That is the plan most people have.

This is not possible now for most people.
    No matter how hard you work you will never get your head above water. Paying rent and saving for a home. We've had decades of this and people are looking for other solutions.

FF FG put "the market", multinationals etc first before the population and that has now come back and hit them in the face.

The story of the election is how FF/FG fcuked up so bad people turned to Sinn Fein.

Except that owning your own home is a middle-class right-wing aspiration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,679 ✭✭✭storker

El Tarangu wrote: »
    Because it's offering easy solutions for complex problems.

Easy solutions like "hands off and leave it all to the market"?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭Damien360

I keep reading housing as main concern in this thread. Are all these people who want houses willing to pay a full mortgage on them ? If so, then I agree with the housing needs to be fixed fast. Build. If in the other hand, the SF voters want free houses for all, then that’s not workable. Will SF enforce the collection of long overdue council payments for housing rent (millions in Dublin alone). They had the majority of council seats and didn’t do it then. If more paid what they owe, the councils would have more money to build more social housing.

Priority for social housing must go to workers on minimum wage. Workers. Affordable homes to purchase. Not the layabouts. They need to stay in rented accommodation. If they won’t pay the council (and it is a very low payment currently) then go to private accommodation with all the costs that entails.

I didn’t vote for SF and voted independent instead but the FF/FG was just a timeshare agreement between them to maintain as is. Clearly that’s not working.

SF have a couple of good people like Pearce Doherty and Mary Lou but I have huge concerns about the “up the Ra” crew.

Housing: before I bought my house, my rent for a 2 bed apartment was approx 50% of my initial mortgage payments. A 3 bed apartment was 75% and we couldn’t afford it and save the deposit. When we did buy our house (1999) we had one mortgage payment in the bank, the kitchen table was a box and our furniture was hand me downs. One old car to get to work. It took years to get on our feet. Plenty were just like me. This is why the commuter belt exists. The current free gaffs for all want it all now, not have to work for it, not have to save and not be able to afford a takeaway for a few months. This is the young core SF voter in my opinion. My nephews and their friends are this core group. I meet similar doing the same job as me but expect 20 years of hard work to not apply to them.

Nothing comes for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

Apples and oranges tbh.

A vote to punish the establishment by people who don't really understand the issues, don't really care and are in fact voting in outcomes that are likely to make things worse.

Apples and apples I would say.

... and at the current level of poll responses, it's clear that this is a very unrepresentative discussion board as the vast majority of people DIDN'T vote for Sinn Fein.

So I guess I'm asking the wrong people.

but the vast majority of voters DIDN'T vote for Sinn Fein, 20something% did.
    so, the poll is pretty accurate I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

ratracer wrote: »
    Regarding housing:

A lot of folks screaming for the got to build social housing on public land.
    During the boom, for the purpose of ‘inclusiveness’, developers were required to allocate some of their developments for social/ affordable housing. This is still a requirement AFAIK, with the buyout option of donating equivalent money to the local authority in lieu of houses now removed.
    When this policy was brought in, was it not too remove the percieved stigma of living in local authority housing estates? And are we now saying we want to go back to how it was in the 60/70/80’s and have LA’s just build loads and we’ll accept it?

Yup. Sounds good.
    Council housing need not be synonymous with sink estates. It doesn't take too much planning to put in place sufficient amenities such as shops, pubs, leisure centre, football pitch, bus stops. ETC.

They're not going to look like Shrewsbury Road but they don't need to. Properly serviced public housing is a good idea. Much better than putting "affortdable housing" (whatever that is) in Foxrock and Howth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

_Brian wrote: »
    The problem is families who have been intentionally generationally unemployed want the state to provide them with the same standard of living as families who over the generations have worked hard and ensured their children have been educated well and strive to better themselves.

That’s communist thinking where everyone should have the same no matter what they do.

The solution to “Social inequality” is get your of your arse and get doing something. Make sure your kids go to school, make sure they get a trade or a skill or go to college. Make sure they have pet time jobs to teach them that workers get paid and getting kid is how you better yourself.
    Showing them that a life on SW popping out sprigs to a raft of different fathers is just dooming them to lower standards of living.

No, you're wrong.

The number of people choosing to (dishonestly) remain on welfare as a lifestyle option is very small as an overall percentage of the population. They couldn't and don't account for Sinn Fein's rise.

What's actually happened is, first off, that the median income is under 28k. The stagantion of wages *relative to inflation* has made everyone much poorer than anyone is willing to admit. National newspapers don't even report the median income (they give the mean) - let alone put it in context year-by-year, decade-by-decade relative to inflation.

There's been a massive decline in real wages in tandem with the spikes in rent and buying costs for houses. We're constantly told the country is wealthy. In terms of overall GDP it is - but not for the average worker. Many people work two jobs to stay afloat or get ahead.

It is working people - not a large hidden population of welfarites - that are seeking an end to extremes of wealth inequality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

jimgoose wrote: »
    I interpret it as meaning that a majority of the SF voters this election are actually pissed-off FG voters. Let's hope they haven't gone and sawn off the branch upon which they sit.

Well they've been attacking Labour hard & dirty for several years and eroded their vote. Also eroded some FF vote and small parties this time. Gained the famous floating vote. I'd be think the disillusioned FG vote went more towards the SDs, Greens and Labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

I voted for change , time will tell if it happens but but IMO we needed an alternative to FF & FG.

Change of what specifically and why, is what the question is.

It's easy to ask for change as a generic statement without actually stating what your vision is.

For example there's been lots of talk of the housing issues - by what measure will we decide that the housing issues have been solved or addressed?
    Is it finding a way to ensure the average house price in Dublin is 3.5x the average salary?
    Is it finding a way to ensure that the average rent is x% of the average salary?
    Is it finding a way to reduce the cost of housing by x%?
    Is it finding a way to increase take-home pay by x% so that housing at it's current price is more affordable?

We can go out and build 100k new houses tomorrow morning, or 200k houses, but if they are priced the same it won't solve the issues as people won't be able to afford them.
    If we make them 'affordable' will that bring down the house prices for the rest of Dublin.
    What is the knock-on impact to those that have bought housing in the past number of years, who will now find that their house has reduced in value. Will this negatively impact them. How much are we willingly to impact these people in order to solve the issues for those that don't own a home yet. Where is the line that balances this.
    What is the knock-on effect to landlords if they find slashed rents means they can't make their mortgage payments and end up in massive debts. Maybe you think this is acceptable to ruin some people's financial health in order to solve the rent issues we have. Maybe you think there's a line that's okay, but you don't want to see 1 person loose everything, in order to help someone else. There's a line somewhere though if we slash rents too much, there won't be any landlords. Where do you think that line is? And remember, if you get it wrong, think about the impact.
    What other impacts will these changes have? What else can be a positive side effect, and what negative side effects will they bring.

This is why it's important to clarify what you mean by change.

Everything and anything can be changed - some things may be successful in their ambitions, others won't. Some things will have disastrous knock-on effects even if they are successful in one manner.

We need to know what the mandate is and what the goals we want solved are so that we can tackle them and have a good understanding of what side effects we are willing to accept, be-it a SF/FF/FG or whoever else running the show.

What is this so called "change" that we've been hearing so much about.

SF have given their manifesto as their outline of what they want, some people agree with it, some people think it's mad, but for those who voted just for 'change' what is it that you actually want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Simpleton millennial types who actually think Sinn Fein will give free houses and fix the housing crisis.

Doubt one actually read any Sinn Fein material.

Mindless left populism.

I think Sinn Fein are a crap choice.

Shinners have many dud candidates, Dessie Ellis for example. Ould codger codding them all.

Same with a few of the other chancers, never did nothing but line thier own pockets and take brown envelopes from RA drug dealers.

Probably not a good idea to mention brown envelopes in your argument against SF. The parties you (presumably) voted for are very familiar with brown envelopes themselves and I think have done far more damage to this country than the IRA ever has.

I'm finding the lack of respect towards people who voted SF fairly appalling. Is this what democracy is meant to look like? Ridiculing and belittling people who have voted for change. A lot of people need to get down off their high horses and accept that this is a shake up that people are demanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

_Brian wrote: »
    The problem is families who have been intentionally generationally unemployed want the state to provide them with the same standard of living as families who over the generations have worked hard and ensured their children have been educated well and strive to better themselves.

That’s communist thinking where everyone should have the same no matter what they do.

The solution to “Social inequality” is get your of your arse and get doing something. Make sure your kids go to school, make sure they get a trade or a skill or go to college. Make sure they have pet time jobs to teach them that workers get paid and getting kid is how you better yourself.
    Showing them that a life on SW popping out sprigs to a raft of different fathers is just dooming them to lower standards of living.

Sorry but you've completely missed the point there.
    There are many, many people in this country who work very hard in long term employment and do it all the "right way", getting their education etc, that still can't afford housing.

I am college educated, I paid for it all myself and I have been employed since I was 16.
    At one point I was paying just over half my monthly income on rent. I couldn't even afford to drive. My only other option was move an hour away and spend 2 hours a day sitting in a car to work, commuting.
    Neither of those scenarios are reasonable or sustainable long term.
    People will want to live where they can get a job, and there are no jobs in country towns. I would happily live out there if it meant I'd have my own roof over my head and I wouldn't have to spend 2 hours of my day sat in traffic.

There are a lot of angry people who worked hard at school, and got their degree, got their professional job, who are now struggling to save for a mortgage because they are paying 2k a month for a rental with no security and 1k in creche fees.

People are having to put off having children till their late 30's and early 40's because its taking them till their mid 30's to get on the property ladder and they simply can't afford it. No other previous generation has had to do that.

There absolutely is an element of social inequality when a dual income household of two educated, professionally employed people isn't good enough
    to afford the basic privilege of owning your own home, or renting comfortably.

Dismissing this as being about everyone just wanting a free "foreva home" is infuriating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Ballso wrote: »
    A vote to punish the establishment by people who don't really understand the issues, don't really care and are in fact voting in outcomes that are likely to make things worse.

A government lasts for 5 years tops. Brexit is set to last a lot longer. Apples and oranges.
    Plus even if SF can form a government which I doubt it won't last anything approaching 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Ush1 wrote: »
    When people say housing or health, what specifically are Sinn Fein going to do to fix those issues that the other parties aren't already doing or have tried?

I can't speak for sinn fein, not my party of choice.

But....if it was me, given their mantra of housing and health - I would concentrate on clearing out the deadwood in the health service, we have multiple levels of middle management who are (as far as I'm aware) not able for their roles or not doing anything in their roles - those not able were given their roles due to incremental jobs needing to be filled.

(Caveat: I'm not fully informed on the details, just making an educated guess).

When we reformed the health service and pushed 4 health services into one (HSE) - not one single person lost their job, this has created multiple levels of middle management within the HSE and removing these people will help lessen the financial outlay and might allow for staffing resources to be made adequate.

Someone needs to follow the money - where are the HSE overspending ? Who is benefiting ? What are the links between those making decisions and those receiving state funds?

Similar approach to other areas of civil service, gardai need more numbers on the ground and need to be more productive with their resources, every year there are stories about gardai/army overtime, this needs to be managed with correcting the numbers of staff.

I believe the Garda budget is almost 2billion, approx 14k ground gardai, let's say another 10k between detectives and superior officers, conservatively let's say another 10k between civilian staff so we have less than 40k individuals (and let's not even mention that between shift work, illness and holidays 25% will be off at any one time).... And somehow a budget of almost 2billion can be spent annually !! This should be reviewed.

Similarly with housing lists and people jumping due to political and staff interference, every few days/weeks there seems to be some story of a "homeless" person (due to publicity of a sad story/turn of events) this person/people are moved up the lists while those on the list who are there legitimately in need suffer longer, the lists themselves also need to be reviewed and those offered places should be told your choice is take what is offered or start the process again, there are many who purchased where it was affordable - despite being away from family/friends/work - we have a lot of commuters who would love to live closer to family etc why should those on housing lists receive the luxury of a home where they choose ?

These are some minor changes which could shape a better society, personally I would also get tougher on crime (something which sinn fein don't seem to be seeking, but I'm open to correction) .... Stop welfare payments to incarcerated prisoners, give repeat criminals automatic jail sentences, you simply shouldn't receive a suspended sentence if you are a habitual criminal.

A full review of the welfare system should also be done, personally I would prefer a universal social payment system but don't think it would benefit this country until we sort out our social welfare system and the massive amount of money it haemorrhages.

The above area selection of how monies can be raised to fund changes required to better society as I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭animum

Damien360 wrote: »
    I keep reading housing as main concern in this thread. Are all these people who want houses willing to pay a full mortgage on them ? If so, then I agree with the housing needs to be fixed fast. Build. If in the other hand, the SF voters want free houses for all, then that’s not workable. Will SF enforce the collection of long overdue council payments for housing rent (millions in Dublin alone). They had the majority of council seats and didn’t do it then. If more paid what they owe, the councils would have more money to build more social housing.

Priority for social housing must go to workers on minimum wage. Workers. Affordable homes to purchase. Not the layabouts. They need to stay in rented accommodation. If they won’t pay the council (and it is a very low payment currently) then go to private accommodation with all the costs that entails.

I didn’t vote for SF and voted independent instead but the FF/FG was just a timeshare agreement between them to maintain as is. Clearly that’s not working.

SF have a couple of good people like Pearce Doherty and Mary Lou but I have huge concerns about the “up the Ra” crew.

Housing: before I bought my house, my rent for a 2 bed apartment was approx 50% of my initial mortgage payments. A 3 bed apartment was 75% and we couldn’t afford it and save the deposit. When we did buy our house (1999) we had one mortgage payment in the bank, the kitchen table was a box and our furniture was hand me downs. One old car to get to work. It took years to get on our feet. Plenty were just like me. This is why the commuter belt exists. The current free gaffs for all want it all now, not have to work for it, not have to save and not be able to afford a takeaway for a few months. This is the young core SF voter in my opinion. My nephews and their friends are this core group. I meet similar doing the same job as me but expect 20 years of hard work to not apply to them.

Nothing comes for free.

People want more rights as tenants, they want a rent freeze at the very least, they have asked for that for years. I rented and bought via the affordable housing scheme years ago, but lived on couches in between, I also had one bed and a toaster and kettle to live with for the first few months, I worked hard,and I got there just like you. But unfortunately out there now, you cannot save like me and you did, if you have children and childcare to pay for, or even if you are a single working person, or a young couple starting out. Housing concerns is not 'free housing' Not all SF supporters are dole bums and surely this vote shows the demographics have changed.

Not everyone wants free housing, they just want to be heard and acknowledge and not be told.. ''to ask your parents for a deposit for a house'', as Leo once mentioned.

There are some who do want to scrounge off the welfare system, they are in every society, but for the others give them a chance to bloody save like me and you did.. let them be able to build a life and give them hope.

jiltloop wrote: »
    Probably not a good idea to mention brown envelopes in your argument against SF. The parties you (presumably) voted for are very familiar with brown envelopes themselves and I think have done far more damage to this country than the IRA ever has.

I'm finding the lack of respect towards people who voted SF fairly appalling. Is this what democracy is meant to look like? Ridiculing and belittling people who have voted for change. A lot of people need to get down off their high horses and accept that this is a shake up that people are demanding.

SF have been calling everyone who didn't align with their nonsensical policies on how to fix the complex issues thrown up by the crash 'Tories' or worse.

Respect will not be forthcoming. Luckily for SF all these issues will be rapidly sorted as soon as they enter government.

Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

Housing primarily. Working couple, two good jobs. Not feeling the 'progress'. If we are not feeling it I could't imagine how we would live on two min wage jobs.

• Advertisement

BASHIR wrote: »
    Housing primarily. Working couple, two good jobs. Not feeling the 'progress'. If we are not feeling it I could't imagine how we would live on two min wage jobs.

The "two good jobs" bit IS the progress. Unemployment was at 16% at the formation of the last government.

Housing is a disaster. Health is problematic. Can you articulate HOW you expect Sinn Fein to fix these things?

Damien360 wrote: »

Nothing comes for free.

I think you might be getting it. I make more than the average wage in Dublin and I would love the opportunity you had in 1999. That door seems to be closed unless you making 3 times the average wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,679 ✭✭✭storker

I voted as follows:

1. Social Democrat
    2. Green Party
    3. Labour
    4. SF
    5. FF (only because of Stephen Donnelly. I didn't give the other FF candidate anything)
    6. SOL-PBP

I had always left the SF box blank before. This time the blanks went to FFG and Independents. My reasoning could not be encapsulated in something so simple as any one of the choices given in the OP.

I own my own home, run a car, earn a reasonably good income , eat out several times a year and have a good holiday each year. I'd be a natural FG voter and have voted FG in the past, but their arrogance, their indifference to the citizens, their free-market fetishism and their insouciance in the face of multiple problems bedeviling the ordinary people, meant I couldn't in conscience vote for more of the same. When I say insouciance, I mean they care about things like housing, health and insurance costs insofar as these are bad for PR, but not in the sense of these being problems that have a negative effect on the lives of the people they've been put into power to work for.

I couldn't vote for FF because they've enabled FG for the past fours years and because of their history of foot-on-the-accelerator while asleep-at-the-wheel economic management. Labour were lucky to get even a 3 from me, since they've shown themselves happy to be the b1tch of whoever is in charge. The Greens were even luckier. I was disgusted by their attitude to the Bosnian intervention and also by John Gormley's declaration that he wasn't in government to be FFs conscience...why was precisely what I'd bloody well voted for them to be in...whichever election that was. I also thought the Greens could use a boost because of the climate crisis...even if there is some exaggerating going on, fingers still need to be pulled out there, I think.

That brings us to SF. I decided to give them a low preference because I was so ambivalent about them, but what won out was that they were a fairly numerous minority party and might do well enough to temper the excesses of the majority party, which would hopefully in its turn curb the more extreme SF instincts, and out of the mix might come something that would be pragmatic, but still bear in mind that the country consists of people and not just sets of economic data, and govern accordingly. That appears to be where we've arrived at, and we'll see what happens, but I believe there's more hope of a positive change now than there would have been if the gombeen and sleeveen wings of FFG had divvied up the goods between them in the usual manner.

FF got my #5 but only because of Stephen Donnelly and he too was lucky to get that. He's have got my #1 if he hadn't got into bed with FF. But I figured FF could well end up in government and would benefit from having someone of Donnelly's ability on the front bench.

PBP got to suck on the hind tit of my preferences because, again, it's a voice for the ordinary people, which can't be a bad thing. If they hadn't run so fast from government in 2016, they might have got a lower number in their box.

That's a summary of the thoughts I had over a long time before I decided how to vote. Some might say that's a protest vote; I don't care, I know how much thought went into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Borgo

We have seen governments come and go between FG and FF and personally I think they are so out of touch with ordinary working people like myself. "The people who get up early in the morning" , Just stop all that crap now. Sick of it. Im in my late twenties and myself and my gf is saving for a house. We have both seen so many friends leave this country. I have voted for SF all my life because I want change. FF and FG wont bring me that because I have seen for many years what they can do for me and im not into it. Nothing is changing for me for the better. Im not saying SF are certain to do everything because we all know once your in government its tough.

But why not give them the chance? Why keep going back to FF and FG? SF are saying they can give me change in my life and society. Why are people so shocked that we actually want to give another party a chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Housing is a disaster. Health is problematic. Can you articulate HOW you expect Sinn Fein to fix these things?

Can you articulate HOW you expected FF/FG to fix these things?

With SF you're speculating that they can't but you do not know.

With FF/FG we KNOW they can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

The "two good jobs" bit IS the progress. Unemployment was at 16% at the formation of the last government.

We had two good jobs 4 years ago too. Have things improved? I read the manifesto and hope they will implement what they have proposed. If they don't I will asses how I feel at the next election.

Also I am more than capable of reading your points without the capitalising. So tone the down the condescending manner please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

I'm not sure I agree or disagree with this.

A vote to punish the establishment ?
    Possibly true.

A vote by people who don't understand the issues?
    Not necessarily true, the main issues are health and homeless, FF and FG have had some time and haven't made enough changes for people to see any benefit.

It was a vote by people who don't really care ?
    I think the people that made the effort to come out and vote do care, they want what is best for the country and voted for whoever they believed could provide this, the people that don't care are the 30+% who didn't vote !

People voted for an outcome which is likely to make things worse !
    Sounds a bit like FG before the vote saying we need to keep the status quo, change is a risk etc etc .... Those that were in power have told the electorate that the economy is back and the country is booming, yet they gave nothing back to the people (possibly because it was all a lie) - IF sinn fein can be involved in government we might see things getting worse, we might see things getting better, giving them the opportunity will allow the people of Ireland decide if that is what they want in the future.
    It will be interesting to see the statistics which were created during previous government if numbers were inflated or if parameters are changed to massage statistics.

statistics in this country take different factors into account compared to other EU countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,172 ✭✭✭limnam

It's not really progress when both your outgoings leave you worse off than if you were both were unemployed.

High child care.
    High rent
    Highest mortgage interest rates in Europe.
    High insurance car/house/health
    Hours wasted in commutes.
    All this to then be left waiting days on a trolly if you get sick?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

I think you might be getting it. I make more than the average wage in Dublin and I would love the opportunity you had in 1999. That door seems to be closed unless you making 3 times the average wage.

A single person earning 50-60k can save 1k per month without going crazy. If you do that for 3-4 years that's in the region of 40k.
    For a couple both on decent money, that could be 80k saved since the last general election.

If your a couple earning lower wages (25k let's say), its still 40k savings between you.

https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/spending-money-diary-ireland-14-4936400-Dec2019/

Yes this guy is commuting from Kildare, but maybe that's the trade off some people make to save. Many don't want to make tradeoffs like that. But it's hard to have it both ways. He's also got cheap rent but paying a heap of money on train tickets and car repayments and petrol. you could live closer to work with higher rents and ride a bicycle instead if you'd rather. But yes maybe you do need to make a sacrifice or choice on some things.

Obviously if you have childcare costs this mightn't be the case, but there's certainly a lot of people who can afford if they work hard, and out in the effort just like the guy you replied to did.
    Financial discipline, and the right attitude and the a little bit of luck that things don't go pear shaped goes a long way.

For some this might not be possible and I accept that, but there's lots of people who it is true for, especially if your earning over the average wage.

• Advertisement

Can you articulate HOW you expected FF/FG to fix these things?

With SF you're speculating that they can't but you do not know.

With FF/FG we KNOW they can't.

None of these parties can fix health, it involves gutting the HSE and none of them will touch it.

FG's housing policy seems to be to build 100000 homes over 5 years - the same as SF's except costed properly.

Either way, the housing crisis will not be resolved for another decade at least, unless idiots like Sinn Fein damage the economy to the degree where we cannot continue plundering the productive parts of the economy to plug the gaps, in which case it will last even longer.

Advertisement