Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you voted Sinn Fein in the GE, why did you do it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I want the person earning 25k to be able to own a home within a reasonable distance of decent employment opportunities (note: not necessarily a big city), or to be able to rent for a fair price with security of tenancy.
    I don't think that this is an unreasonably high standard of living to aspire to in 2020.

You do realise that the barista in Starbucks and the waitress serving you in the restaurant (aka low paid workers) need somewhere to live too, right?
    And that it isn't acceptable to expect them to travel two hours each way on a bus every morning just for the pleasure of earning a minimum wage?

Our cities would collapse without employess like these. The cleaners, the waiters, the bar staff, the retail workers.
    You are so arrogant to imply that their needs don't matter just because they are on a lower income.

That isn't possible anywhere in the world.

I have two children living abroad in Europe by choice, both earning well in excess of 25k. Neither of them can afford to buy where they are.

People forget that Dublin is now a successful international city. It will not be possible again for anyone on 25k to buy a house within the city council area unless you collapse the economy and have mass emigration. You are looking for a fantasy solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Ballso wrote: »
    Could you point to another Western European country where it is possible for a waitress to buy a house beside their job then?

I seem to have missed this economic miracle.

could you point out another EU state, where you can never have worked in your life? get a free luxurt apartment beside a luas stop , pay E50 a week with your free money (if you are arsed)? while the working waitress for example, commutes minuimum an hour each way, lives in a kip and earns a tenner an hour?

Bizarre that you've been programmed to think poor people should be able to buy houses. Where does this happen? Took me twenty years to be in a position to buy a house, I should've forgone putting myself through college and working my way up from the bottom of my industry and just waited for the upcoming SF economic miracle sure.

Anyway this will all be sorted in short order once SF go into government, South Dublin will be rammed with property owning waitresses

Ill tell you where it happens, it happened in ireland with the tenant purchase scheme. How visionary? here have this house virtually rent free, oh whats they, youd like to own the house and pay a pittance for it? sign here... X

people talking about mad commutes? no, its mad planning here for decades, pave over fields miles out of dublin, meanwhile in dublin and the docklands, lets litter the place with four floor ****! and not invest in transport either!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

Classic FG. Every worker should be able to in the least try to buy their own home, without it being fantasy or the working class getting above their station.
    It's also the FG equivalent of let them eat cake, 'Can't afford rent? Give them a 25 year leased luxury apartment', which is a win win for everyone but the tax payer.
    Good riddance FG.

This is great, which country is it that every worker can afford to buy a home? I'm delighted I'm so wrong on this, the crisis will be solved overnight!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

blanch152 wrote: »
    That isn't possible anywhere in the world.

I have two children living abroad in Europe by choice, both earning well in excess of 25k. Neither of them can afford to buy where they are.

People forget that Dublin is now a successful international city. It will not be possible again for anyone on 25k to buy a house within the city council area unless you collapse the economy and have mass emigration. You are looking for a fantasy solution.

I can only assume you are deliberately missing the point because in no part of my post did I suggest anyone on 25k be entitled to buy a house in Dublin City center.

I said they should be able to buy or rent a home in a reasonable, commutable, distance from decent employment opportunities, or if renting, have it at a fair price with secure tenancy.

Again, I don't think these expectations are particularly high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

PARlance wrote: »
    Well, there is a bit of "they all should be able to afford a bakery" on the thread as well.

We want houses not bakery's.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

21 vites for ‘tax the rich’ , absolute bigotry and jealpusy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I'm guessing you've marked it with
    " people might have voted for a change because they were just brassed off with the complacency of the "FG stepped out, FF stepped in again" Lanigan's Ball like binary choice we have had for 90 years."

I believe a lot of people are just voting for CHANGE, regardless of what that change really looks like.
    Why isn't this covered by a pool option?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Billcarson

I voted for sinn fein ,for a better and fairer society. Not because I want a free for all but for working people out there trying to make ends meet . Ff and fg have only looked after their own interests imo over the yrs. I believe that Sinn fein genuinely care more about the people of this country then ff and fg and at least should be given a chance.
    Do I believe they will do all they say they will? I doubt it,but what party ever holds true to all their election promises.
    Am I into flag waving Republican " up the ra "stuff? No
    I've been voting sf since 2007,even then one could see the rot in the two main parties, they have become stale and lazy. It's time Irish politics got a good shake up.

Ill keep this point short! There is a serious amount of working people here screwed by this crisis. there are a huge amount of people here, getting housing for nothing and the other large amount, probably the people who voted FG, who dont get how bad the housing crisis is here, or think, I pay mad money on a mortgage, let them do the same...

but often these people now with the mortages, would never get them with the current lending criteria, there is a lot to factor in. But the insane divide here, between social housing and market rent housing etc, is a scandalous. there is a grand canyon divide and its not between the rich and the poor. its between the poor and the, well... working poor. This is going to create big social issues, how couldnt it? work and pay for everything, youre a slave. Sit on your h*le and here, have this house, here have this medical card, does the cost of childcare matter when you sit at home wathing day time tv and feed the kids takeaways every night? does it fcuk! free travel passes. If some are getting a huge amount of resources thrown at them, is there a surprise that others are screwed? we arent some oil rich gulf state! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,172 ✭✭✭limnam

Ush1 wrote: »
    Why did you compare median wage to average house price?

You can take average wage

You're still left unable to afford it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Christ, the standard of debate is pretty dismal in parts here.

Can people not have a discussion without resorting to extreme exaggerations peppered with sarcastic comments and passive aggressive posts?

I know this stuff is emotive but surely if Sinn Fein's policies are so economically naive (which I believe they are) and if the party is unpalatable because of their past, posters can point that out without throwing in cheap shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Ill keep this point short! There is a serious amount of working people here screwed by this crisis. there are a huge amount of people here, getting housing for nothing and the other large amount, probably the people who voted FG, who dont get how bad the housing crisis is here, or think, I pay mad money on a mortgage, let them do the same...

but often these people now with the mortages, would never get them with the current lending criteria, there is a lot to factor in. But the insane divide here, between social housing and market rent housing etc, is a scandalous. there is a grand canyon divide and its not between the rich and the poor. its between the poor and the, well... working poor. This is going to create big social issues, how couldnt it? work and pay for everything, youre a slave. Sit on your h*le and here, have this house, here have this medical card, does the cost of childcare matter when you sit at home wathing day time tv and feed the kids takeaways every night? does it fcuk! free travel passes. If some are getting a huge amount of resources thrown at them, is there a surprise that others are screwed? we arent some oil rich gulf state! :rolleyes:

Bet you didn’t read the SF manifesto.

Fg wont get another vote from me, as long as that scum Varadkar is in place, talked the biggest game ever, and he has put this country in massive uncertainty, during a boom and screwed many people that voted for him! In private the highlight of his leadership, is probably meeting Kylie!

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

Bizarre that you've been programmed to think poor people should be able to buy houses. Where does this happen? Took me twenty years to be in a position to buy a house, I should've forgone putting myself through college and working my way up from the bottom of my industry and just waited for the upcoming SF economic miracle sure.

Anyway this will all be sorted in short order once SF go into government, South Dublin will be rammed with property owning waitresses

Poor people ah ffs get out of here with this ****. Earning a min wage job makes you poor now. I'm done, last reply to this snobbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,052 ✭✭✭endainoz

Ah yes, how many more threads does there have to be about this? Going by the poll results the anti Sinn Fein bias is rife on boards. Its obvious why people voted in the numbers they did.

The right lost, the left won.

Save the moaning until they get into government.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Bet you didn’t read the SF manifesto.

getting rid of usc up to a point and LPT, I'd actually be in favour of, as it mostly benefits workers. What the alternative up to this point by the "early riser" party? throw hundreds of million a year on welfare. That is the choice you have here, the bloody irony, that SF, will actually likely be far better for the vast majority of tax payers and some of us, might not be robbed on housing as much. FG brought this all on themselves, many of us , didnt want to go there!

I know a good few people who didnt vote, they thought it was hopeless, they never thought we could get change. If there is another election, every one of them will get out and vote SF! All of this farce is FG doing!

in the last few budgets, except budget 2020. FG gave a worker just below the marginal rate, lets say mid thirty k, around a euro a week usc cut. the dole warriors, a fiver!

BASHIR wrote: »
    Poor people ah ffs get out of here with this ****. Earning a min wage job makes you poor now. I'm done, last reply to this snobbery.

Someone on minimum wage is the working poor mate. You'd be better off on social welfare and HAP.

I can't wait for this new economy boys, I'll be jacking in the stress of my current job for a cruisy number serving coffee, where do I sign up for the gaff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

_Brian wrote: »
    The solution to “Social inequality” is get your of your arse and get doing something. Make sure your kids go to school, make sure they get a trade or a skill or go to college. Make sure they have part time jobs to teach them that workers get paid and getting paid is how you better yourself.
    Showing them that a life on SW popping out sprigs to a raft of different fathers is just dooming them to lower standards of living.

Also that impregnating their girlfriend and/or girlfriends over and over when you can't afford to pay maintenance to support any of the kids is also dooming them to lower standards of living.

Lets keep things equal, now.

gct wrote: »
    I've worked hard all my life. I started work at 15. Left school with no exams because I had to. I worked throughout the 80's recession and fell for all the old guff CJ haughey spouted about taking the pain and working hard for peanuts to make the country better for Our children. (How did I fall for that one?) After the last crash I struggled to pay My mortgage and other bills but I never missed a payment, unlike a lot of people who strategically defaulted on mortgages and welched on debts. Again it was Me who took the pain. I'm told were in recovery but My pocket hasn't seen any recovery. I can't even go for a pint anymore. For example,After the last crash I was paying €4 for a pint, now its €6, a 50% mark up. My wages haven't increased more than a couple of per cent in that period.What I see is the rich getting richer while the poor get poorer. Its always been that way to a certain degree but the last government pushed it too far and to the point where I have had enough. FF and FG have proved time and time again that they cannot improve My quality of life. I want change.

Why not do night courses and get into a career that pays more? My brother did that.

• Advertisement

21 vites for ‘tax the rich’ , absolute bigotry and jealpusy.

the rich here, would be seen as anyone on over say eighty k! Basically anything more than margaret cash gets for her sterling work!
    Originally Posted by _Brian View Post
    The solution to “Social inequality” is get your of your arse and get doing something. Make sure your kids go to school, make sure they get a trade or a skill or go to college. Make sure they have part time jobs to teach them that workers get paid and getting paid is how you better yourself.
    Showing them that a life on SW popping out sprigs to a raft of different fathers is just dooming them to lower standards of living.

these career welfareists, and their "angles" obviously reduce our living standards, the all in costs, including the social housing, are staggering! lets get into some! Maternity hospital, education, child benefit, free housing, if they have special needs or disablities, many then turn to a life of crime and popping out the next generation. free medical card, free travel. If prison, the cost of incarceration is insane! So dont come out with this bull**** that they are a small problem, they are SERIOUS problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Why not do night courses and get into a career that pays more? My brother did that.

I'd imagine the poster is in his 50s or 60s at this point. May have kids or grandchildren. Would be very hard to go back to college or night classes at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

50k household is poor?

I'll be jacking in the stress of my current job

This explains a lot, you're not happy in your job?

Try social welfare, it's the life of riley according to AH posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

This passive agressive, sneery attitude is exactly what lost FG the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

maccored wrote: »
    wheres the '**** off and mind your own business' option?

It's in the Topics tab on the site's menu bar.
    Click. Select the forum/thread you want.
    Then **** off and mind your own business.

Simples :p

SusieBlue wrote: »
    This passive agressive, sneery attitude is exactly what lost FG the election.

Telling lies to the gullible is what won SF the election.

Sure you're right and I'm wrong, waitresses will be up to their eyes in mortgage applications by this day fortnight in the new Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

You hear tax the rich a lot, but what do people constitute as rich?

As an example, Someone earning 50k in Dublin is different to 50k in say Limerick and everyones fixed costs are different. So you probably can't just pick a figure and run with it.

I work abroad but taxed in Ireland and when discussing the tax bands with my colleagues from other countries, they seem to think we are taxed quite high, especially when taking into account the USC.

Personally (before I am asked), I don't think earning 50k is a big salary. Or someone earning 100k if it is a single income household (2 adults plus min 1 child) as many households would have a couple earning 50k each. Maybe it comes down to what is the disposable income post fixed costs (incl. rent)???

On a side note, I do believe everyone is entitled to a roof over their head, but I do not believe everyone is entitled to own a house, so curious to see how SF will address this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

So the point of this thread is, you post why you voted Sinn Fein and let other posters attack you?

• Advertisement

Telling lies to the gullible is what won SF the election.

Sure you're right and I'm wrong, waitresses will be up to their eyes in mortgage applications by this day fortnight in the new Ireland

Stop going on about waitresses man.

Advertisement