Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front Brake Calipers Sticking

Options
  • 11-02-2020 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

Does this occur to many others? i.e say if the bike hasn't been used in a few days it feels like it gets seized?
    A jolt forward/backward loosens it and all good but wondering is there a more serious fault waiting?
    Pads are fine, plenty left in them.

Bike is a Vstrom 1000 DL 2014

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

Just had my front calipers rebuilt on my 2011 DL650 for the same reason

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sirmixalot

Just had my front calipers rebuilt on my 2011 DL650 for the same reason

Interesting, so it's serious then right? Do you know how long it took? Price etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

sirmixalot wrote: »
    Interesting, so it's serious then right? Do you know how long it took? Price etc?

The front pads were binding to the disc on mine. Rebuild cost €100 for both front calipers including labour and materials. Had the bike back in 24 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Had it in the past and a fresh set of pads solved it. Depends if your calipers are getting stuck or your pads are actually binding. If a car or bike is left sitting for a while this can happen, particularly in the current weather conditions. I use my car about once a week for short weekly shop trips and this happens every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The salty slush around the place really does a number on brakes at this time of year, You have to rinse it off as well as you can with a hose if possible and make sure it doesn't sit on the brakes or it will corrode the hell out of them in short order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Rebuild would be what id do. Did mine last year parts came to about 40 or so.

zubair wrote: »
    Had it in the past and a fresh set of pads solved it. Depends if your calipers are getting stuck or your pads are actually binding. If a car or bike is left sitting for a while this can happen, particularly in the current weather conditions. I use my car about once a week for short weekly shop trips and this happens every week.

Not binding as such, say the bike is parked up, Normally it rolls back a little from the driveway to the road and only in the last few weeks I've noticed that it won't roll back as freely as it used to.
    A little jolt back or forward and you a hear a clunk and off it goes, but yeah similar in the car as that's only used once a week too.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

If you are anyway mechanically minded its worth popping the calipers off (leave the hose connected), take out the pads, and carefully pump the pistons out further than they would normally go (without popping them out all the way), then examine the pistons and clean as required with brake cleaner. The pistons are prone to corrosion and sticking if the bike is used in winter. If they are sticking, even slightly, while the bike is moving, you run the risk of overheating and warping the disks, which will work out expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Some brake discs form a slight film of rust in this sort of weather, can lead to the pads sticking to the disc if parked up for a few days. Not a problem.

My previous bike didn't do that, but was a b*tch for the pistons seizing, needed to be stripped and cleaned a couple of times a year.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

RINSE RINSE RINSE...modern calipers and salty grit dont mix...it takes a couple of minutes..fill the kettle (not hot water) or leave a bottle of water in your parking area and pour over the pad area...especially if its been raining...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

RINSE RINSE RINSE...modern calipers and salty grit dont mix...it takes a couple of minutes..fill the kettle (not hot water) or leave a bottle of water in your parking area and pour over the pad area...especially if its been raining...

That's a good idea, never thought of this in 20 years of commuting almost daily. How often would you do this in winter. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

mjsc1970 wrote: »
    That's a good idea, never thought of this in 20 years of commuting almost daily. How often would you do this in winter. ?

Anytime you've been riding in the rain..... a pump flower sprayer is better, leave it somewhere handy,

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

I locked myself away for the weekend and did a full rebuild of both front calipers and new pads, new brake fluid also did oil and filters, plugs, new coolant and a good clean and Polish, as said careful of a sticking caliper you can warp a disc very easily, in winter every month or so take calipers off pads out and spray some brake cleaner on pistons and scrub with an old tooth brush to remove any buildup of sh1te.
    If you've never worked on brakes before have a mechanic do it they can be a head wrecker

• Registered Users Posts: 12,319 ✭✭✭✭blade1

And while at it don't forget your brake disc bobbins/buttons.
    Apply brake cleaner and give them a bit of a loosen by turning them.
    Often overlooked but can also be part of the cause of warped discs.

mamax wrote: »
    I locked myself away for the weekend and did a full rebuild of both front calipers and new pads, new brake fluid also did oil and filters, plugs, new coolant and a good clean and Polish, as said careful of a sticking caliper you can warp a disc very easily, in winter every month or so take calipers off pads out and spray some brake cleaner on pistons and scrub with an old tooth brush to remove any buildup of sh1te.
    If you've never worked on brakes before have a mechanic do it they can be a head wrecker

Jaysis! I'm handy enough with basic DIY on the bike but that image just had me panicking! I think I'll just pop them off and scrub but not strip the whole way, I'd never get them back on if I went to that level of deconstruction :)

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

It's just understanding how they work and knowing a few tips and tricks to make the job easier, normally I don't like delboy because he talks too much but this video is actually watchable and covers almost everything you need to know.

https://youtu.be/VRNaa04bBiA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I think yours is the more OCD approach. The odd {heavy} spray of brake cleaner with everything fitted works fine for me.

Advertisement