Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who gets fired first?

Options
  • 11-02-2020 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

Which of the two gets fired first: Martin or Varadkar?

Martin or Varadkar? Who gets fired first? 78 votes

Martin FF
    84% 66 votes
    Varadkar FG
    15% 12 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Leo

• Registered Users Posts: 23,372 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Martin cause FG appear to be happy to head to opposition benches. FF looking to go into government and 2 camps forming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭enricoh

Are the knives out for leo? I doubt it, happy enough to let the others take the reins, knowing full well there'll be an election in a year n the electorate will jump back in bed with them for stability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

FG will not be part of the next govt. They have realized that Varadkar isn’t either the genius or the popular vote getter they imagined. If Martin can get FF into power then V is history.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    Which of the two gets fired first: Martin or Varadkar?

You reckon SF/IRA are going to take them out?

Interesting...

• Advertisement

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    You reckon SF/IRA are going to take them out?

Interesting...

It’s up to party members and TDs. Unless it’s an ecumenical matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

I voted Varadkar because I think MM will go into power with SF and at some point SF will mess up causing a collapse of government.

FF will out perform FG in the subsequent election and Varadkar will resign or be ousted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Martin should definitely get the chop, to lose the vote to SF is pretty much unforgivable in they eyes of the parliamentary party.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,859 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I don't think they'll get rid of Martin yet as it's unlikely SF will be able to form a government without FF (too many parties and independents for either FF or SF to get any proper agreement made, I reckon). So chances are FF will be in government with SF in some form or other, and they're not going to want to start a leadership contest in the midst of trying to organise that, where they could stick with MM and at least get into power first.

FG will need to bide their time and wait for FF/SF to fall apart, but they also need to show they've changed, so Leo will likely be pushed aside for Coveney, and Harris and Murphy will be given lesser roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I would have said Varadkar except for the fact that he got one of the highest first preferences for FG.

So right now there's nobody in FG with the support or the appetite to get the knives out.

I'd say they'll wait for the dust to settle.

Martin is the one with the most tenuous hold. FF taking home 50 seats was seen as a sure thing this time around, and his "Sinn Féin, no way" stance was so set in stone, that I can't see any way back from this for him.

He might negotiate a coalition and then step down.

• Advertisement

Increase in housing supply throws cat among FG pigeons. Election completely mistimed. Varadkar May pack the Louis Vuitton.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Varadkar won't be fired but I see him moving onto Europe or into the private sector once an appropriate amount of time has passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,859 ✭✭✭✭Penn

seamus wrote: »
    I would have said Varadkar except for the fact that he got one of the highest first preferences for FG.

So right now there's nobody in FG with the support or the appetite to get the knives out.

I'd say they'll wait for the dust to settle.

Martin is the one with the most tenuous hold. FF taking home 50 seats was seen as a sure thing this time around, and his "Sinn Féin, no way" stance was so set in stone, that I can't see any way back from this for him.

He might negotiate a coalition and then step down.

I think if he did that, he'd be handing MLM the role of Taoiseach, whereas only with him staying on in the event of a FF/SF/(other) coalition would FF have a reasonable shot at claiming the role, even just with their one-seat majority.

If it was looking like he'd step down, or even if he waited a year or two, the margin is too close that SF would claim MLM was the only one elected as a party leader and should therefore be Taoiseach. Unless of course whoever they get to get them past 80 seats goes with MLM for Taoiseach at the start anyway, in which case yeah, Martin is likely gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,778 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'd like to see Mr. Burns (MM) fired out of canon

I think Leo will step down himself go before forced

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Heart says Varadkar, mind says Martin.

I just can't stomach Varadkar, he's just not likeable. As much as I wish he got the bullet first, it will likely be Martin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Paudie Coffey stated the other day that it's in the FG Constitution that they have a vote of confidence in the leader when they lose an election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Varadkar won't be fired but I see him moving onto Europe or into the private sector once an appropriate amount of time has passed.

Probably the most horrific thing about politics. A man with all charisma, PR charm but no credible delivery or substance gets set up for life.

Too much attention paid to personalities over delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I reckon they'll take out Varadkar first then carry out intelligence operations on other members of FG in order to gather a bit of dirt and to understand their movements. In reality FG are their most obvious threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I voted Varadkar because I think MM will go into power with SF and at some point SF will mess up causing a collapse of government.

FF will out perform FG in the subsequent election and Varadkar will resign or be ousted.

Poker or chess player?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Paudie Coffey stated the other day that it's in the FG Constitution that they have a vote of confidence in the leader when they lose an election.

Not only that, the vote is a secret ballot so you don't have to publicly nail your colours to the mast

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

When the party leader announces him and his party aren't even going to try get in but welcome opposition it must piss off the supporters. Then add to that Varadkar's lousy record before becoming the Instagram caretaker taoiseach exacerbating numerous crises, I'd say his days are numbered.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Probably the most horrific thing about politics. A man with all charisma, PR charm but no credible delivery or substance gets set up for life.

Too much attention paid to personalities over delivery.

He was lacking there too. His only trait was getting snotty when questioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

When the party leader announces him and his party aren't even going to try get in but welcome opposition it must piss off the supporters. Then add to that Varadkar's lousy record before becoming the Instagram caretaker taoiseach exacerbating numerous crises, I'd say his days are numbered.

That’s no way to talk about your partner, Matt.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

fullstop wrote: »
    That’s no way to talk about your partner, Matt.

Matt appears to have left the building.

What amazes me about this thread and other similar ones is how so many left-wing posters having won the election are still obsessing over what FG and FF are going to do and also with the politicians of those parties.

You would think that they would be still out celebrating and thinking and talking about their wonderful choices for Ministers and the land of milk and honey that they are going to create full of unicorns and rainbows within the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

blanch152 wrote: »
    Matt appears to have left the building.

What amazes me about this thread and other similar ones is how so many left-wing posters having won the election are still obsessing over what FG and FF are going to do and also with the politicians of those parties.

You would think that they would be still out celebrating and thinking and talking about their wonderful choices for Ministers and the land of milk and honey that they are going to create full of unicorns and rainbows within the coming months.

Moaners and complainers. It’s very easy be a moaner- all the problems and theoretical solutions sort of folk. It’s intellectually and emotionally easy. You also get to take the moral high ground all the time.

Terrified their lads might have to implement it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

With Leo, I'd assume that Coveney would be the leader in waiting.
    Who would step up to take Martins place?

Moaners and complainers. It’s very easy be a moaner- all the problems and theoretical solutions sort of folk. It’s intellectually and emotionally easy. You also get to take the moral high ground all the time.

Would you not comment on topic for once? We don't even have a government yet, quit your pre moaning moan and at least wait :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Surprised with the poll I thought auld flopsweat Martin be the first to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

From the guy that confessed last night it's FG doing a hop skip and a jump into opposition with a smile on their face.

Watching you guys draw red lines with SF and FF all over the place, talking about your new found role as leaders of the opposition when the gun had just fired on coalition formation, and then still claim you have an appetite for governance has been a thing of beauty. You could hang it in the National gallery and tourists would flock to gaze at its abstraction. You're only dying to be roaring and shouting from the opposition benches.

And before you say it, I am of the soft-left, am a lapsed member of a party of the centre-left, and SF weren't the first preference on my ballot (in fact my vote didn't even reach SF).

I have an appetite for a coalition of the left, but let's be frank, it doesn't even stack up numbers wise, and there are far too many parties in it for talk of it to be credible this time out.

The pressure of the media will fall on you the next few days, the public will start asking questions why you wont play ball with anyone, and the party will start to crack. I look forward to the recriminations.

• Advertisement

With Leo, I'd assume that Coveney would be the leader in waiting.
    Who would step up to take Martins place?

Seems Noonan was putting in for Donoghue.
    Likely Coveney.
    FF have nobody decent but never stopped them before. I can't believe MM is still there TBH.

Advertisement