Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Dennis ** Please read Mod Note in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

Carlow town appears to be escaping it all. Sun is shining its a lovely day out with the odd bit of wind but its like a summers day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Sleet and hail in waterford city now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note: RocketRaccoon your post was removed as could be deemed as goading and trolling for a negative response, stay on topic and forget the digs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Advertisement

Not long after driving up to Churchtown from Dublin 6, not the better of it. Pulling out of my estate I could see a wall of white-out hail descending down street from the north. Near the 9 arches LUAS bridge was a flash of lightning, rapidly followed by a short sharp clap of thunder. Car in front of me slowed right down with flashers, so did I as our visibility was hugely hampered. We both pulled into the Dropping Well car park until visibility improved. He then proceeded to his home nearby and I to Churchtown. I see from lightning app that strike was close to Cowper LUAS stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Casement recording a strong gust of 61 knots(113km/h) in the past hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭IspeakcozIcan

Was going to drive from Dublin to Waterford today but just before coming to the motorway I couldn't see with the gusts of hail so decided to leave it. Will there be more hail today?

Witnessed awful mutliple car crashes on a journey driving to Birr last year on the M6 due to hail. Some one was killed in a 10 car pile-up so just try to avoid motorways with hail if at all possible.

Was going to drive from Dublin to Waterford today but just before coming to the motorway I couldn't see with the gusts of hail so decided to leave it. Will there be more hail today?

Witnessed awful mutliple car crashes on a journey driving to Birr last year on the M6 due to hail. Some one was killed in a 10 car pile-up so just try to avoid motorways with hail if at all possible.

Yes there is likely to be, heed Teresa Mannion’s famous advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

A strong positive lightning strike of 48 kA near the Pigeonhouse Chimneys in Dublin. Anyone see it? There was an even stronger one of 81 kA near Castleisland in Kerry. Click on each strike here to see details.

https://meteologix.com/ie/lightning/ireland/20200216-1515z.html

503048.PNG

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭IspeakcozIcan

Yes there is likely to be, heed Teresa Mannion’s famous advice.

Yep might get the train later instead so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Bumpy landings at Dublin today.

EIDW WS WRNG 03 VALID 161405/161600 MOD WS IN APCH RWY28 REP AT 1352 A320 gain of 10kt and loss of 15kt at 500ft =

"Windshwar warning: Moderate windshear on approach to Runway 28 reported at 13:52, an Airbus 320 gained 10 knots and lost 15 knots at 500 ft."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Mod Note: RocketRaccoon your post was removed as could be deemed as goading and trolling for a negative response, stay on topic and forget the digs.

Definitely wasn't intended that way.

Seems too that there have been a short hold on flights landing in Dublin whilst the worst was happening as per my aviation apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Power gone here in Kildare since the last shower.

Bumpy landings at Dublin today.

EIDW WS WRNG 03 VALID 161405/161600 MOD WS IN APCH RWY28 REP AT 1352 A320 gain of 10kt and loss of 15kt at 500ft =

"Windshwar warning: Moderate windshear on approach to Runway 28 reported at 13:52, an Airbus 320 gained 10 knots and lost 15 knots at 500 ft."

Experienced this in an ATR at Cardiff in 2008 where aircraft ended up briefly facing opposite direction, man behind screaming, older pair of pilots later chuffed at their superb landing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

recyclebin wrote: »
    Weather hasn't been too bad so far in Castlebar today. Their was some hail overnight which caused a racket hitting off the bedroom window. Yesterday was horrible, with a lot of heavy rain.

A couple of rumbles of thunder and a max gust of 106 km/ hr around 07.00 has been the best of it so far today.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Dirty now in North Donegal.

Windy enough, but not stormy. Just wet and dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Casement recording a strong gust of 61 knots(113km/h) in the past hour

That would make it the highest gust at Casement since Storm Dirty Diana on 28 November 2018 (62 kts).

A strong positive lightning strike of 48 kA near the Pigeonhouse Chimneys in Dublin. Anyone see it? There was an even stronger one of 81 kA near Castleisland in Kerry. Click on each strike here to see details.

https://meteologix.com/ie/lightning/ireland/20200216-1515z.html

503048.PNG

As a lightning phone I’ve now bookmarked this site to my home screen :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

Any word from Graces7? Hope she's safe & well.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Foggy Jew wrote: »
    Any word from Graces7? Hope she's safe & well.

You just caught me as I sign off... I think I posted early today but am rapt reading all the wonderful accounts of hail the size of marbles! WOW! Great thread this is! Thanks all...

All is well here; noisy but safe. Occasional hail and constant high wind.

Stay safe; and thank you! The coverage here has made the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It feels like Wales and parts of England have caught the worst of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Wet snow on hills here in Kilkenny.
    2.9C with a DP of 0.9C

• Registered Users Posts: 40,016 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It feels like Wales and parts of England have caught the worst of this.

We've gotten off very lucky relatively speaking. I was watching Sky News and they had a reporter in a town somewhere( the name escapes me) but she was reporting live and she was standing on one of the few places of high ground in the town. The rest was flooded and flooded badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Picking up again here in Dublin 22. It's lashing again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Yellow warning cancelled, orange under review.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Yellow warning cancelled, orange under review.

Probably being updated.

It's absolutely ridiculous that in the year 2020 they have to take down old warnings for a period of time to update them, or at the very least whoever is doing the updating doesn't know how to do it properly.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The wind in that squall shower was the strongest in the past 2 weekends for sure. Had to come out and help my elderly neighbour home

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

sdanseo wrote: »
    Probably being updated.

It's absolutely ridiculous that in the year 2020 they have to take down old warnings for a period of time to update them, or at the very least whoever is doing the updating doesn't know how to do it properly.

Nope cancelled as I said.

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/1229082059957776385?s=20

Advertisement