Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Dennis ** Please read Mod Note in OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

nthclare wrote: »
    I was in Spanish point earlier, the swells abs huge.
    Ground swell mixed-up with the wind swell, absolutely epic sight.

Video or pics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Hope all are safe and well.

What's next weekend's storm going to be called. Ethel or Elvira lol.

Terrible scenes in Wales and up country too. Could there be anything worse than flood damage to your house. Looks dreadful, but they are quite stoic people just the same. They seem to just get on with it, but I suppose what else can you do?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The occluded front off the NW looks quite weak.

Some stronger winds now on the Kerry coasts. Recent sferic out near Castlegregory.

5.4C

Windy here near Tralee but nothing out of the ordinary except in the showers.

fcu1gnw.gif

rafales_uk_dlp8.png

7GQ2k4g.gif

bUb6XgO.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Hope all are safe and well.

What's next weekend's storm going to be called. Ethel or Elvira lol.

Terrible scenes in Wales and up country too. Could there be anything worse than flood damage to your house. Looks dreadful, but they are quite stoic people just the same. They seem to just get on with it, but I suppose what else can you do?

If and when the next storm comes our way this season it will be named Ellen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Fastnet today

BC0332-A9-2-FF8-42-EC-8238-BE0-BCEF9-D1-A9.jpg

• Advertisement

pad199207 wrote: »
    Fastnet today

Fabulous photo. Unmanned I hope there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Not nice to lose 20 knots of airspeed at just 50 ft above the runway. Dublin at 18:22...

EIDW WS WRNG 04 VALID 161832/162030 MOD WS IN APCH RWY28 REP AT 1822 A320 loss of 20kt at 50ft =

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

can't understand why Wales are getting a red warning, are we not a buffer for them?

Not nice to lose 20 knots of airspeed at just 50 ft above the runway. Dublin at 18:22...

EIDW WS WRNG 04 VALID 161832/162030 MOD WS IN APCH RWY28 REP AT 1822 A320 loss of 20kt at 50ft =

Can you explain that in terms that non pilots/aviation enthusiasts might understand please!

Hope all got down safely anyway. Having been a pax on a few hairy landings in strong winds I am not bothered so much now, but there is always that frisson of fear too. We are not all up the pointy end and in control :P

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭bassy

pad199207 wrote: »
    Fastnet today

where is that ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

bassy wrote: »
    where is that ?

Fastnet today

Fastnet today

where is fastnet :confused:

I googled fastnet,very south cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Can you explain that in terms that non pilots/aviation enthusiasts might understand please!

Hope all got down safely anyway. Having been a pax on a few hairy landings in strong winds I am not bothered so much now, but there is always that frisson of fear too. We are not all up the pointy end and in control :P

Thanks.

GL has decoded it in his comment above.
    Mind you the only part of that which should need translation is the time code 161832/162030 = 16th at 1832Z valid until 16th at 2030Z. All the rest is fairly straightforward

Mod=moderate
    WS = windshear
    Apch = Approach
    Rep at 1822 = Reported at 1822
    loss of 20kt at 50ft... I'll leave that to the imagination

sdanseo wrote: »
    GL has decoded it in his comment above.
    Mind you the only part of that which should need translation is the time code 161832/162030 = 16th at 1832Z valid until 16th at 2030Z. All the rest is fairly straightforward

Mod=moderate
    WS = windshear
    Apch = Approach
    Rep at 1822 = Reported at 1822
    loss of 20kt at 50ft... I'll leave that to the imagination

Still none the wiser, oh wise one. Just wondered what it all meant and if there were any consequences, obviously not or we would have heard. Thanks.

(But I heard there was a secret code lol)

A rather noisy P-3 Orion just passed over the west of ireland from NOAA, coming from Iceland by the look of it.

Thanks.

A loss of airspeed (the speed of the air flowing over the wings) means a loss of lift, so a sudden drop in altitude. With just 50 ft left to the tarmac you don't want that drop to be too much. Lift is proportional to airspeed squared, so a small decrease has a bigger effect. A drop of 20 knots with an approach airspeed of around 140 knots is a loss of 14% of airspeed, so a 30% loss of lift. However, at that height the plane is what's called ground-effect, which will slightly offset the drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭mouthful

Temp drop in Donegal- stars in the sky- think it is going to freeze in the night-

Wind still howling outside- tiles rattling-

Can’t imagine what it would be like to sleep out in these conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

Very windy in Galway in the last half an hour. Gusts really rattling the roof, which is unexpected.

very windy with driving rain here in north kilkenny.

• Advertisement

A loss of airspeed (the speed of the air flowing over the wings) means a loss of lift, so a sudden drop in altitude. With just 50 ft left to the tarmac you don't want that drop to be too much. Lift is proportional to airspeed squared, so a small decrease has a bigger effect. A drop of 20 knots with an approach airspeed of around 140 knots is a loss of 14% of airspeed, so a 30% loss of lift. However, at that height the plane is what's called ground-effect, which will slightly offset the drop.

Thank you for the explanation. Hope landed safely, but am sure it did thanks to the skill of the pilots. Bet they had a gulp moment or two there also!

Thank you for the explanation. Hope landed safely, but am sure it did thanks to the skill of the pilots. Bet they had a gulp moment or two there also!

All in a day's work...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Wind after picking up there in the last 5mins, big gusts. Strong than last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

CptMackey wrote: »
    Wind after picking up there in the last 5mins, big gusts. Strong than last night

All quiet in limerick...... at the moment

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Getting windy in Galway alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Getting windy in Galway alright.

Very bad so it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Several accidents northbound on the M8 today due to hail. I went southbound a few hours later, no problems apart from the odd heavy rain shower. Glad I missed the fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭the hedgeman

Getting rough enough in north Kerry again, hailstones in the mix as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ShylockWept

Getting very windy in South Dublin. I thought the storm was over???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Gone very wild in Galway again

Advertisement