Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Dennis ** Please read Mod Note in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ARated

Made it home grand with no issues. There was Hail nearly all the way from Tralee to castleisland. Then climbing up and over to abbeyfeale there was thunderhail. Very heavy but not prolonged. From there to Dublin was grand. A few short showers. Nothing major. But very wet and flooded ground throughout the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Be right back

leahyl wrote: »
    Just in Dunnes and the light flickered - came out to a full blown hail storm, car accident just nearby - mad stuff

Ballyvolane? Was there at the time. Couldn't believe the amount of hail that had fallen. Drove past the accident too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Silly question but wondering how long more is Dennis will be around in Dublin as its bin day tomorrow and dont want to see bins causing grief with their contents either tipping out when full as now bought straps to secure lid but empty bins can and will do damage out in a storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

greasepalm wrote: »
    Silly question but wondering how long more is Dennis will be around in Dublin as its bin day tomorrow and dont want to see bins causing grief with their contents either tipping out when full as now bought straps to secure lid but empty bins can and will do damage out in a storm.
    I say only take them out in the morning, maybe best to ask a neighbor if possible to bring them in if your not around. There may be still be some strong-ish gusts.

Or put a note to ask the bin man to bring them closer to your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Horrendous here again, serious strong gusts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭wazzer1

fryup wrote: »
    can't understand why Wales are getting a red warning, are we not a buffer for them?

Serious flooding over there, landslides as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Windier here now than it was all weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Gusts have ramped up again in Limerick.

There was an abatement between 3pm and 7pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

This chart shows the origin of the air that arrived at Mace Head at 18Z this evening, with different colours representing different altitudes.

503077.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Ballyvolane? Was there at the time. Couldn't believe the amount of hail that had fallen. Drove past the accident too.

Yup Ballyvolane - missed the whole thing cos was inside at the time but it was nuts when I came out and it was just white on the ground!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Be right back

leahyl wrote: »
    Yup Ballyvolane - missed the whole thing cos was inside at the time but it was nuts when I came out and it was just white on the ground!

Tell me about it. Sunny when I went in and totally white out when I left. Sorry I didn't get a picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Fabulous photo. Unmanned I hope there!

Now it is; been watching films of the lighthouses; a great one called Irish Lighthouses includes Fastnet and tells of its building . When men were men,, in 2, the crews just vanished without trace :eek: Well worth a look. Would love to visit and stay a while

bassy wrote: »
    I googled fastnet,very south cork.

You can see it from the cliff walk at Mizen Head and a lot of info there including a sample of how it was built. Fascinating stuff.

Still wild and loud out here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Graces7 wrote: »
    Now it is; been watching films of the lighthouses; a great one called Irish Lighthouses includes Fastnet and tells of its building . When men were men,, in 2, the crews just vanished without trace :eek: Well worth a look. Would love to visit and stay a while

Exactly when men were men, If you really want to hear some good maritime stories search for bedtime stories on YouTube.
    The flannen Isle lighthouse mystery Bedtime story

There's actually a story about those two guy's on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭dmc17

Graces7 wrote: »

This one?

Walked the dog there now and it's a lovely night out. A strong and cold wind but a clear sky and very few people out. Certainly blows away the cobwebs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Mace Head has had only 4 max gust readings below 100 km/h since midnight.

The last 7 hours recorded 100+ km/h gusts. That's fairly sustained winds.

Highest was 122 at 0800.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Mace Head has had only 4 max gust readings below 100 km/h since midnight.

The last 7 hours recorded 100+ km/h gusts. That's fairly sustained winds.

Highest was 122 at 0800.

The 8 am synop report had the gust as 34 m/s but so did the 12 pm one. Not sure if both went down as 122 km/h or was it just 8 am's? Rounding errors from m/s to km/h can be large (1 m/s = 3.6 km/h).

Damn it. I clicked that link not knowing it was the Daily Express. Complete clickbait nonsense.

Mods: anyone who posts a link to the tabloids surely deserves a ban? [/joke]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Sounds like the worst wind we have had for a while on the nw coast. Very sustained aswell.
    Seems alot stronger than Ciara.

nthclare wrote: »
    Exactly when men were men, If you really want to hear some good maritime stories search for bedtime stories on YouTube.
    The flannen Isle lighthouse mystery Bedtime story

There's actually a story about those two guy's on it.[/QUOTE

Yes it was that that started me off! I think that place is for sale too...

Watch the long ( 2 hour) Irish Lighthouses on youtube The section on Skellig Michael is beyond excellent. They had two families living there, and lost children over the cliffs.

And Tory island! Oh MY ! Years ago I asked about year round rental at the lighthouse cottages there that are summer rental now. I was told no one would deliver eg coal there in winter. Thought it was due to the weather... Learned from the film that that is because they believe the place is haunted and the locals will not go near it in winter! .

I searched for a lighthouse to live in to no avail; many are homes now.

A whole way of life vanished with automation. All are managed from a single computer now.

Mizen Head is one of my most favourite places on earth: I miss it greatly.

I had a wonderful time during Storm Dennis .. sound effects galore..i

Walked the dog there now and it's a lovely night out. A strong and cold wind but a clear sky and very few people out. Certainly blows away the cobwebs.[/QUOTE]

I do that just by trying to open the door out here! It is firmly held safe ; the old dog lead is threaded through the grab rail then looped round the door handle else the gale grabs it and slams it against the wall. Hardy see spiders out here anyways ;)

dmc17 wrote: »

No; now there is one for tomorrow; thank you!

The one I watched is almost 2 hours, simply " Irish Lighthouses" by Carol Minchew. Cannot post links..

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

The sea was absolutely boiling this evening, see images attached taken through the windscreen of the car looking SW from Achill. It was impossible to take pics outside without risking the camera as the air was saturated with spray and salt, and it was difficult to stand straight against the wind anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Fantastic shots watlantic !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Oh dear i see we are on level 1 alert so must be getting worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

pad199207 wrote: »
    Fastnet today

BC0332-A9-2-FF8-42-EC-8238-BE0-BCEF9-D1-A9.jpg

Would seriously pay to spend the night there during a storm.

Quotes: ''Quote:
    Originally Posted by tatranska View Post
    I see met UK have named Ellen and Francis for the coming weeks.''

''Damn it. I clicked that link not knowing it was the Daily Express. Complete clickbait nonsense.

Mods: anyone who posts a link to the tabloids surely deserves a ban? [/joke]''

But the Daily Excess got it right this time :D, 'cause the list of names was published long ago by both Met Eireann and the Met Office. Bring on Ellen and Francis so, if only to give the D.E. some sensational headlines... and then there will be storm G.

• Advertisement

Advertisement