Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on buying a new road bike

Options
  • 11-02-2020 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all,

After 4 years on my first road bike (2016 Giant Defy 2) I'm looking to upgrade and am trying to make sense of all what is offered by the various brands.

A couple of things that I want in a new bike...

1. Something good but not too aero... I'm in my mid 40s and I've had back surgery. I'm reconciled to the fact that I'll never win Milan - San Remo! My current bike and the way I have it set up keeps me comfortable enough on longer spins.

2. A better drivetrain than my current bike. Shimano Ultegra or equivalent... and I want my 34/32 for the steep hills!

Essentially something a little better than can help me as I try to get a little better.

Budgeting for around €2,500 - €3,000. Two options I had identified:

Giant Defy Advanced 1 (model priced at €2,525 in Cycle Superstore)

or

Cube Agree C:62 (the variant with Shimano Ultegra priced at €2,599 in Cycle Superstore)

Sorry... cannot post links as don't have enough posts to put links up but specs for each are on the Cycle Superstore website.

I like the look of the Cube and a friend has a similar one and loves it but from what I've heard their fibre frames don't have the best of reputations (manufactured by the third party) whereas Giant do this themselves and supposedly don't have similar issues.

So my questions to those who know more than me...

How would you rate each of these bikes?

Are there any alternatives you'd recommend in this price range?

What would you advice me to be on the lookout for when comparing bikes in this kind of price range?

All advice greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

I have had 3 cube road bikes, all carbon fibre and never an issue so I not worry about that - I like that model in the grey and orange colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Hi all,

After 4 years on my first road bike (2016 Giant Defy 2) I'm looking to upgrade and am trying to make sense of all what is offered by the various brands.

1. Something good but not too aero... I'm in my mid 40s and I've had back surgery. I'm reconciled to the fact that I'll never win Milan - San Remo! My current bike and the way I have it set up keeps me comfortable enough on longer spins.

2. A better drivetrain than my current bike. Shimano Ultegra or equivalent... and I want my 34/32 for the steep hills!

Essentially something a little better than can help me as I try to get a little better.

or

Cube Agree C:62 (the variant with Shimano Ultegra priced at €2,599 in Cycle Superstore)

Sorry... cannot post links as don't have enough posts to put links up but specs for each are on the Cycle Superstore website.

I like the look of the Cube and a friend has a similar one and loves it but from what I've heard their fibre frames don't have the best of reputations (manufactured by the third party) whereas Giant do this themselves and supposedly don't have similar issues.

What would you advice me to be on the lookout for when comparing bikes in this kind of price range?

recent convert to Giant and for the record have a 2019 TCR Advanced which I can say is one of the most comfortable bikes I've ever ridden. so ignore the bias but if you've had no issue with Giant then maybe go TCR. like you my back wouldn't be great but i've been able to play with saddle positions to get an optimum set up even though the TCR has a longer sleeker top tube. I picked mine up with full Ultegra/disc brakes for 2600 just before Xmas. As you're in Dublin go to the Giant store as they have more leeway on their bottom line prices. I picked up a Propel off them and they were great to deal with. http://www.giant-dublin.ie/ie/bikes-tcr-advanced-disc-2020

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/road-bikes/endurance-bikes/endurace/endurace-cf-sl-disc-8.0/2185.html?dwvar_2185_pv_rahmenfarbe=RD&dwvar_2185_pv_rahmengroesse=XS

https://www.rosebikes.ie/rose-team-gf-four-disc-ultegra-2673771

Are you decided on buying from a bricks and mortar shop? If you're willing to buy online these are great bikes. The Rose site lets you change parts as you go, like wheels or cassette size so you can really get whatever you want, plus their customer service is excellent (I have a Rose..)
    Canyon sponsor World Tour teams and so their bikes are very good, and quite popular.
    Out of the two you listed, both look fairly equal to me, the Defy has a slightly larger cassette for climbing so I'd have to go with what they actually look like in the flesh. My daughter would say the Giant as it's purple but I think I'd go with the Cube in grey

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Rose have some nice bikes in their sale section at the moment too. Definitely worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

The giant TCR will have a lower headtube than what you are used to on a defy.
    Just something to consider for your back. The defy is more relaxed and ultimately you may be able to spend longer on the bike and probably enjoy it more.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ie/defy-advanced-1-2020

You will more than likely end up having to change the wheels as giant wheels in my experience are crap. That will bring you to top of your budget

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Dave on a bike

https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/road-bikes/endurance-bikes/endurace/endurace-cf-sl-disc-8.0/2185.html?dwvar_2185_pv_rahmenfarbe=RD&dwvar_2185_pv_rahmengroesse=XS

https://www.rosebikes.ie/rose-team-gf-four-disc-ultegra-2673771

Are you decided on buying from a bricks and mortar shop? If you're willing to buy online these are great bikes. The Rose site lets you change parts as you go, like wheels or cassette size so you can really get whatever you want, plus their customer service is excellent (I have a Rose..)
    Canyon sponsor World Tour teams and so their bikes are very good, and quite popular.
    Out of the two you listed, both look fairly equal to me, the Defy has a slightly larger cassette for climbing so I'd have to go with what they actually look like in the flesh. My daughter would say the Giant as it's purple but I think I'd go with the Cube in grey

I wouldn't rule it out. I suppose I'm more drawn to a shop just to be able to see the product... get fitted properly... etc.

When you buy online what level of build is needed on delivery? The Canyon and Rose bikes both look really nice! Spec for each is just about bang on what I'm looking for...

codie wrote: »
    The giant TCR will have a lower headtube than what you are used to on a defy.
    Just something to consider for your back. The defy is more relaxed and ultimately you may be able to spend longer on the bike and probably enjoy it more.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ie/defy-advanced-1-2020

You will more than likely end up having to change the wheels as giant wheels in my experience are crap. That will bring you to top of your budget

That's the exact model I was looking at!

What issues have you had with the wheels?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

While I love my TCR Advanced (my 2016 Defy Disc irritates me with it's lack of tyre clearance), I had the wheels rebuilt after breaking spokes for no apparent reason after a year or two. The verdict of my very experienced mechanic was that giant use the very minimum strength spoke (fwiw, I'm low 70's kg's).

I also had freewheel issues on the Defy, but since the warranty replacement they've been ok (touch wood!).

In my experience they are soft, spokes break regularly and I have also seen rims give way where the spoke is attached. Giant stores will tell you that used to be the case but they have sorted it now. But thats bull. PsL2'S would be the lower spec of giant wheels. Its not uncommon ,most people end up changing stock wheels anyway.No matter what the make of the bike. Its the best upgrade you can do to any bike.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    While I love my TCR Advanced (my 2016 Defy Disc irritates me with it's lack of tyre clearance), I had the wheels rebuilt after breaking spokes for no apparent reason after a year or two. The verdict of my very experienced mechanic was that giant use the very minimum strength spoke (fwiw, I'm low 70's kg's).

I also had freewheel issues on the Defy, but since the warranty replacement they've been ok (touch wood!).

The new Defy has massive trye clearance. Up to 35mm clearance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

I bought a carbon Peugeot cr-01, not main stream, am i screwed!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

In my experience they are soft, spokes break regularly and I have also seen rims give way where the spoke is attached. Giant stores will tell you that used to be the case but they have sorted it now. But thats bull. PsL2'S would be the lower spec of giant wheels. Its not uncommon ,most people end up changing stock wheels anyway.No matter what the make of the bike. Its the best upgrade you can do to any bike.

can only say i've had the opposite experience. in nearly 2,000kms of winter in 2 months - i neglected to mention that i got their carbon wheels on my TCR and absolutely no issue with them except for being a novice with the tubeless set up.

I've clocked up around 10,000km on my 2016 Giant Defy 2 and haven't had any issues with the wheels. And I'm in Wicklow... the mountain roads give the wheels a fair battering! I'd have to say that all in all for reliability I'd have to say the bike has been good. Maintenance costs have only arisen from routine wear and tear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

I wouldn't rule it out. I suppose I'm more drawn to a shop just to be able to see the product... get fitted properly... etc.

When you buy online what level of build is needed on delivery? The Canyon and Rose bikes both look really nice! Spec for each is just about bang on what I'm looking for...

Very simply build, about 15min is all that is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭sprite0

If your looking for something comfortable but still capable then maybe consider a Specialized Roubaix. They start at €2700 with a Shimano 105 hydraulic groupset. I'm 52 and have a Roubaix for 2 years now and find it very comfy and reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

All you have to do is fit the wheels, centre the bars and fit the seat post, which already has the saddle attached

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Hi all,

or

Hi

i bought the Defy Advanced Pro 1 (2019) model just before Xmas, there was a sale on so got a decent discount. It's a fantastic bike, the wheelbase has been extended slightly and the frame sharpened up for more speed. the comfort is second to none, it came with 28mm tubeless tires, clearance for up to 32mm.

the first thing i changed was the saddle, i have a fizik aliante which supports the lower back. The Defy for me is the perfect bike for endurance and comfort, and it's perfect for our irish back roads. Plus if anything goes wrong i can go back to the Giant store in cork where i bought it. I also have some Giant branded gear like jerseys and bib shorts and find them to be excellent value for money compared to the more upmarket names. Stick with Giant.

Advertisement