Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree heather gone brown??

Options
  • 11-02-2020 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    Just noticed in the last couple of days that a newly planted tree heather (erica arborea) seems to be about to die and looks all brown with just a very small few green leaves left on the side aiming away from the strong westerly wind we have been getting recently. The way it was moving in the wind makes me think it was wind rocking that disturbed the roots before it had time to settle in its new position. I have put a mound of mulch around the base to see if this will help stabilise it and help it recover but was wondering if there was anything else I could do or is it simply too late to save it at this stage. It had developed a few brown branches already a few weeks back and in hindsight I should have applied the mulch earlier. It was not an expensive plant as I got it in the clearance section of the local garden centre but any advice would be much appreciated. Some one has said that digging it up and keeping it somewhere more sheltered for a while might help but I'm afraid digging it up will be enough to kill it. Thanks for any opinions.
    All the best.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭standardg60

Is that another (healthier) one beside it?
    Personally i would give up on it, the damage may already have been done earlier hence why it was in the clearance section. Persevering in the hope it regenerates from that one healthy stem is not worth it imo, like most heathers it will very rarely re-sprout from old wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭macraignil

Is that another (healthier) one beside it?
    Personally i would give up on it, the damage may already have been done earlier hence why it was in the clearance section. Persevering in the hope it regenerates from that one healthy stem is not worth it imo, like most heathers it will very rarely re-sprout from old wood.

The similar looking plant to one side is a young diosma pink fountain that is growing well after getting a bit trampled on by something early last year.

Sorry to hear that it looks terminal for the heather but good to know anyway. Thanks for the information. First time trying to plant a heather and reading up about this type makes it sound like one that would prefer to be living somewhere warmer. Will just ignore it now for a few months and probably send it to the compost heap when I find something to replace it with.

Advertisement