Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin's boundaries

Options
  • 11-02-2020 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

Are Dublins boundaries fixed ?

Like where does one suburb end and another one begins.

I seen an ad for a house for sale in an estate I use to live in in Finglas.

But the ad for the house says its in Glasnevin.

I had to laugh since when did parts of Finglas become parts of Glasnevin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭wench

Big Gerry wrote: »
    Are Dublins boundaries fixed ?
    Not even slightly
    Like where does one suburb end and another one begins.
    Wherever suits the Estate Agent
    The boundaries of Finglas are some of the most flexible in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭dubrov

Big Gerry wrote:

Glasnevin North borders Finglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Kilbarrack now is my house and the Dart station everywhere else is Raheny it seems :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

The administrative boundaries in terms of counties are fixed (DCC, DLR, SDCC, Fingal) but in terms of what a person calls an area is very much who you are talking to

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Royal Canal Park on opposite side of Tolka Valley Park from me in Finglas South Dublin 11 is apparently accepted as Dublin 15.

anything that adds 15 grand or more to your real estate value I suppose. It can be confusing and conniving sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Terenure appears to stretch from rathgar to the m50, and from the naas road southwards

• Registered Users Posts: 30,106 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Royal Canal Park on opposite side of Tolka Valley Park from me in Finglas South Dublin 11 is apparently accepted as Dublin 15.

That doesn't sound right... I would have thought the eircode postcode would be either D11 or D15 and would be pretty obvious if wrong???

I know the parish or district names are... nebulous.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The administrative boundaries of Dublin city, Fingal, South Dublin, Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown are fixed and statutory, but....

Address "stretching" is par for the couse when it comes to estate agents and selling houses and apartments, has been for decades, for instance:

Half of Blanchardstown seems to be labelled as "Castleknock" (the proper boundary betwen the two suburbs is the Royal Canal and railway line);

Much of Stillorgan (a very good address in itself) is considered as "Blackrock";

Ballybrack transforms into Killiney; Ballyboden changes to Rathfarnham;

Kimmage becomes Terenure, Killester becomes Clontarf;

As per your OP, East Finglas magically becomes Glasnevin;

Darndale becomes Coolock or even better, Malahide Road;

and so on and so on. Boundaries between suburbs can be very arbitrary, the only real certain boundaries in this respect are the postal districts - Dublin 7, Dublin 14, Dublin 9 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,804 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If somewhere has a cardinal direction added to its name; its not there. Lucan South, Glasnevin North etc.

Also, I've seen "Glasnevin" be used as far south as Stoneybatter (!); it has to be the most stretched area name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭bikeman1

The "morphing" areas that are well known to me are:

Raheny (instead of Edenmore, Kilbarrack)
    Clontarf (instead of Killester)
    Sutton (instead of Bayside, Baldoyle)
    Malahide (instead of Portmarnock, Kinsealy or Swords)
    Glasnevin (instead of Finglas or Ballymun)
    Sandymount (instead of Irishtown or Ringsend)
    Terenure (instead of half D6W!)
    Dundrum (instead of Ballinteer)
    Palmerstown (instead of Clondalkin)

And I'm sure there are more and more. I never understood why people do that, the house is where it is and you can't change it. I rented in one of the places and lived about 100 m from the post office, yet people still referred to it as the "posher" place!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Vaguely recall when they introduced the 6W postcode as was renting around terenure/kimmage at the time. Neighbours were up in arms because they were going to be reclassified as D24 or somewhere up in the 20s anyway so 6W was agreed as some sort of compromise. The passions it inspired were quite the eyeopener for this country blow-in at the time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

One of the most blatant examples of this I've seen is the new Mount Argus Apartments on Lower Kimmage Road. It says on the website here it's in Dublin 6, and that's even more prominent on the signage at the location. But it is quite some distance away from being in Dublin 6, and actually closer to Dublin 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Kilbarrack is a weird one. The Kilbarrack fire station is about as far from Kilbarrack as you could possibly get. Nearer to Donaghmede, Raheny or Coolock.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,106 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Decuc500 wrote: »
    Kilbarrack is a weird one. The Kilbarrack fire station is about as far from Kilbarrack as you could possibly get. Nearer to Donaghmede, Raheny or Coolock.

Is it Kilbarrack or Kilbarrack Road?

Clontarf Road DART station is a lot closer to the bulk of Fairview, Marino, East Wall than most of Clontarf :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Estayte agents really try on some brazen porkies with the old address stretching - I once saw a house in Corduff, a 1970s local authority built housing estate North of Blanchardstown village, labelled as being "Castleknock."

As for the suburb of Sandyford, what is now considered the centre of Sandyford where the offices and Luas line are is actually over 2km from the actual village of Sandyford...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

odyssey06 wrote: »

Clontarf Road DART station is a lot closer to the bulk of Fairview, Marino, East Wall than most of Clontarf :)

Its Kilbarrack Road but the fire brigade refer to it as Kilbarrack.

I think alot of it goes back to centuries when places were probably on small little hamlets of a few residents with acres of fields between the next hamlet/town/village

• Registered Users Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Vaguely recall when they introduced the 6W postcode as was renting around terenure/kimmage at the time. Neighbours were up in arms because they were going to be reclassified as D24 or somewhere up in the 20s anyway so 6W was agreed as some sort of compromise. The passions it inspired were quite the eyeopener for this country blow-in at the time.

It was D12, parts of Greenhills were sold as 6w when they were completely surrounded by D12.

It depends on whether your buying or selling where you claim it is I suppose but a mate of mine has always said Rathfarnham must be the biggest suburb on the planet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I’m from a part of D12 where literally the other side of the road is 6W. The semantic gymnastics some people employ to convince themselves they live in Terenure is genuinely hilarious at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭wench

odyssey06 wrote: »

Always just Kilbarrack Station

https://twitter.com/DfbKilbarrack/status/962683332986376192/photo/1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭Allinall

Phoenix Park is in Dublin 8, despite being on the northside.

It was decreed that the President couldn't lower themselves to have an "odd" postcode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Estayte agents really try on some brazen porkies with the old address stretching - I once saw a house in Corduff, a 1970s local authority built housing estate North of Blanchardstown village, labelled as being "Castleknock."

As for the suburb of Sandyford, what is now considered the centre of Sandyford where the offices and Luas line are is actually over 2km from the actual village of Sandyford...

That's not the worst of it.... the Stillorgan and Sandyford Luas stops are basically two ends of the same platform and nowhere near either village.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I’m from a part of D12 where literally the other side of the road is 6W. The semantic gymnastics some people employ to convince themselves they live in Terenure is genuinely hilarious at times.

Someone I know bought a house that backs onto Crumlin hospital. It’s on the Drimnagh Road. He says he lives in Walkinstown, even though it’s Drimnagh. And what is even wrong with that? He has a nice house that many people would love to have. He’s ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,804 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Allinall wrote: »
    Phoenix Park is in Dublin 8, despite being on the northside.

It was decreed that the President couldn't lower themselves to have an "odd" postcode.

Except the Dublin postcodes predate the Presidency.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

JupiterKid wrote: »

That's not the worst of it.... the Stillorgan and Sandyford Luas stops are basically two ends of the same platform and nowhere near either village.

anything that adds 15 grand or more to your real estate value I suppose. It can be confusing and conniving sometimes.

There’s a good distance between Finglas and Royal Canal Park. It’s closer to Cabra than Finglas so it should be D7 before D11.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

L1011 wrote: »
    Except the Dublin postcodes predate the Presidency.

Yep, the actual reason is the sorting office in James’s Street is closer to the Áras than the Phibsboro sorting office. So it made sense to have it in Dublin 8 instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

There’s a good distance between Finglas and Royal Canal Park. It’s closer to Cabra than Finglas so it should be D7 before D11.

I wouldn't call "literally across Tolka Park" a good distance!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

I am originally from Dublin 7, just off Manor St, family still live there.

As it's the "cool" place to live now, I do laugh at some of the estate agent ads for houses on streets which have never been classed as Stoneybatter (which realistically is just a small stretch of road from Manor St to Blackhall Place). Have seen houses off the Infirmary Road next to the Phoenix Park classed as Stoneybatter, as houses off the NCR too. Seems to stretch now from the Liffey as far as the NCR and as wide from Grangegorman to the Park.

No such thing as boundaries anymore when it comes to the estate agents!

I wouldn't call "literally across Tolka Park" a good distance!

Do you know RCP? I used to live there. We never went to Finglas for anything as other places were closer. If it was our local suburb, wouldn’t we have availed of the ample amenities there? To walk to the part of Finglas “literally across Tolka Park” was a decent walk and that was the lower reaches of Finglas. RCP abuts Cabra. Is RCP closer to Finglas than the suburb it is literally contiguous with? When pondering RCP’s D15 postcode (as we were very removed from much of D15), I always wondered why it wasn’t D7. D11 didn’t enter my mind. Am I just a big snob or did it just feel completely separate from Finglas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Do you know RCP? I used to live there. We never went to Finglas for anything as other places were closer. If it was our local suburb, wouldn’t we have availed of the ample amenities there? To walk to the part of Finglas “literally across Tolka Park” was a decent walk and that was the lower reaches of Finglas. RCP abuts Cabra. Is RCP closer to Finglas than the suburb it is literally contiguous with? When pondering RCP’s D15 postcode (as we were very removed from much of D15), I always wondered why it wasn’t D7. D11 didn’t enter my mind. Am I just a big snob or did it just feel completely separate from Finglas?

I used to live on the other end of Ballyboggan Road to Royal Canal Park. I'm not saying it's part of Finglas, not at all, but they're pretty much touching each other.

The shop argument is right, as there's literally nothing in Finglas West.

Advertisement